Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple says apps that haven't been updated in two years will be "removed from sale"

edited April 2022 in General App Discussion

A slightly worrying development, considering we (iOS musicians) occupy a niche of the AppStore predominantly populated with apps made by part-time and indie developers:

https://www.eurogamer.net/apple-says-apps-that-havent-been-updated-in-two-years-will-be-removed-from-sale

More info (and confirmation from Apple) here:
https://developer.apple.com/support/app-store-improvements/

Comments

• Hope the Drambo update comes out soon then. 😀

• I understand why something like this perhaps needs to be done. But the 30-day warning is unfair. If they've suddenly decided that 2 years is the limit (Not sure why it is 2 years, either), then they should give a much longer grace-period; at least, until the rule becomes common knowledge for all (would-be) developers.

• Apple said:
    We are implementing an ongoing process of evaluating apps, removing apps that no longer function as intended, don’t follow current review guidelines, or are outdated.

That wouldn't be so bad if the App Store review teams actually knew what they were doing. It's hard enough to deal with the normal review process when submitting an AU. The thought that they are going to be doing periodic retroactive reviews really doesn't make me want to submit anything new to the App Store at all.

• Wow that really sucks, really bad practice on top of the already tricky ground they occupy…

• I believe Waldorf Nave hasn’t been updated in 3 years.. I was thinking about buying this synth, but that would be a scary thought knowing it’s 20 bucks hanging on a thin wire with this kind of policy..

• @Slush said:
    I believe Waldorf Nave hasn’t been updated in 3 years.. I was thinking about buying this synth, but that would be a scary thought knowing it’s 20 bucks hanging on a thin wire with this kind of policy..

Here’s hoping they will update it. Nave is an all time favorite of mine and imo, comes the closest to feeling like a $300 VST.

• I’ve read, I believe on the same thread, that it was actually 3 years. Still, not very good considering that not every software NEEDS an update and many of them “just work”, even if they have their quirks and unpatched bugs.
    Pretty bad move in general, but I’d expect at least people who purchased/downloaded it should still be able to access the app, given how they have managed this kind of stuff so far.

• edited April 2022

Joking aside this is pretty bad news a lot of people who have followed the iOS music scene for a while are going to lose a lot of older apps if the update their device, as I assume the apps will drop out of the accounts.

Along the same lines as Alchemy. Most lost apps I have previously owned that have dropped have been due to iOS or iPad OS updates. This is something different.

I’m definitely starting to lean towards going back to desktop / laptop and hardware as this is just another nail against music making on iPad along with dongle nightmares and 3.5 mm jacks. IAA is definitely on its way out.

• Beatmaker 3 May be gone in a years time then!

• Hello, solution for now is download program Imazing free verzion for win and mac and download all ipa from your account to pc and make backup, esp for aps like Samplr, Borderlands, waldorf Nave Etc. Hope apple change his mind.... and hope this helps a little

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2022

@mira said:
    Hello, solution for now is download program Imazing free verzion for win and mac and download all ipa from your account to pc and make backup, esp for aps like Samplr, Borderlands, waldorf Nave Etc. Hope apple change his mind.... and hope this helps a little

Trouble with sideloaded apps is they don’t work in aum or audiobus, I’ve erm… “heard”

• edited April 2022

@sevenape said:

@mira said:
    Hello, solution for now is download program Imazing free verzion for win and mac and download all ipa from your account to pc and make backup, esp for aps like Samplr, Borderlands, waldorf Nave Etc. Hope apple change his mind.... and hope this helps a little

Trouble with sideloaded apps is they don’t work in aum or audiobus, I’ve erm… “heard”

imazing simply works like charm, it download only aps you have and which are actualy in apstore under your account, but when will be down from server you can instal it direct from your pc without any problem, ios 15.4.1- but if anyone have better solution - it will be more then welcome now .)

• Seems to me that devs could add an IAP and make a few bucks off of this. A game I play puts out weapons packs every now and again to keep things fresh. They typically cost $.99 US. The app stays active, the dev makes a few bucks and I get a cheap dopamine hit. What’s not to like?

• Such general rules are often a bad idea. And I think that Apple have set a 2y limit in order to force developers to support their policy of "no support for iOS versions lower than 2 major versions back", not the least to make older iDevices obsolete much quicker.
    The grain of salt you get with iDevices is getting bigger and bigger for me.

• @mira said:

@sevenape said:

@mira said:

imazing simply works like charm, it download only aps you have and which are actualy in apstore under your account, but when will be down from server you can instal it direct from your pc without any problem, ios 15.4.1- but if anyone have better solution - it will be more then welcome now .)

But be aware that IAPs aren't saved/restored using the iMazing hack.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @anickt said:
    Seems to me that devs could add an IAP and make a few bucks off of this. A game I play puts out weapons packs every now and again to keep things fresh. They typically cost $.99 US. The app stays active, the dev makes a few bucks and I get a cheap dopamine hit. What’s not to like?

I’ve stated many times that I would gladly PAY for updated (see: AUv3) versions of many of my favorite synths like Nave, Korg synths, etc.

• @espiegel123 said:

@mira said:

@sevenape said:

@mira said:

But be aware that IAPs aren't saved/restored using the iMazing hack.

This is true 100% but for IAA aps like Samplr, Nave, Borderlands and many ancient ones its i think solution

• @mira said:

@sevenape said:

@mira said:

This is a good idea then thanks!

• @sevenape said:

@mira said:

@sevenape said:

@mira said:

This is a good idea then thanks!

:)

• edited April 2022

Looking at Apple's developer support doc, I don't see either two or three years specified. The only related term is the undefined "outdated." The problem there is that Apple gets to decide what outdated means for each piece of software. Also, they seem to have given themselves the ability to determine what the intended function of the app is. Given how bad they are at reviewing AUv3 apps, they aren't really capable of this determination.

The only thing that is stated in the support doc that they should be determining is if apps "don’t follow current review guidelines." But, really, they suck at this too since I've had to point out to them several times in rejection appeals the specific terms under which my AU's follow their guidelines.

One thing I would definitely think is a possible outcome is that all IAA apps will soon be determined to be outdated.

• This only means that old, non-updated apps can’t be sold. Not that they will be removed from your iPad, or even made unavailable for existing users.

From Apple’s page, as linked by @tk32 in the original post:

If my app is removed, will current users be able to access my app?

Yes. Your app will remain fully functional for current users. They will experience no interruption to services and will still be able to buy in-app purchases. However, we recommend that you update your app as soon as possible to reinstate it on the App Store and ensure that it remains functional and engaging for new and existing customers.

• edited April 2022

@Jumpercollins said:
    Beatmaker 3 May be gone in a years time then!

👀👀👀 better send the bat signal!!!!

• @hansjbs said:

@Jumpercollins said:

👀👀👀 better send the bat signal!!!!

• @hansjbs said:

@Jumpercollins said:

👀👀👀 better send the bat beat signal!!!!

• @Slush said:
    I believe Waldorf Nave hasn’t been updated in 3 years.. I was thinking about buying this synth, but that would be a scary thought knowing it’s 20 bucks hanging on a thin wire with this kind of policy..

If you want it better move before it’s not available anymore. Once you buy it will remain available fir download.

• edited April 2022

Yes. As others have pointed out already, notice that the thread title states these outdated apps will only be "removed from sale" NOT "removed from store"

• edited April 2022

"If not update will be submited within 30 days, then app will be removed..."

I hope in this case in order to keep an app / ability to sell in the AppStore developers will start to make a fake updates, which do not add anything new (if not required), but will allow to keep an app for another 2 years in the store. And repeat that every 2 years - change something that doesn't matter, etc.

• @ehehehe said:

@anickt said:
    Seems to me that devs could add an IAP and make a few bucks off of this. A game I play puts out weapons packs every now and again to keep things fresh. They typically cost $.99 US. The app stays active, the dev makes a few bucks and I get a cheap dopamine hit. What’s not to like?

That it's pay2win. But for audio stuff I completely agree!

Just to be clear, I’m not talking about pay to win in this case. You don’t need the IAP’s to play and win (or lose) the game. They are simply enhanced weapons that you can add to your arsenal.