Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

PaulXStretch - Extreme Time Stretching

Comments

• @nuno_agogo said:
    @sonosaurus: would love to overdub the captured buffer to stack layers of audio while performing. i guess this is not the intended idea of this app but i imagine it to be very cool while develooping a soundscape perfoming live.

great project. big up to all involved!

Sounds like a cool option, though, and not hard to implement. Might need a feedback control to keep it from getting too loud during overdubbing.

• edited April 2022

@nuno_agogo said:
    @sonosaurus: would love to overdub the captured buffer to stack layers of audio while performing. i guess this is not the intended idea of this app but i imagine it to be very cool while develooping a soundscape perfoming live.

great project. big up to all involved!

+1!
    Taking further this idea, would be possible to have a render function that bounce in place as a new recording? So, the added overdubs can have different stretch parameters.
    I imagine this would have a limit considering the resulting length of the stretched audio though.

• @waka_x said:
    @sonosaurus:
    (requesting) please add a date stamp on the build on mac and pc versions.
    as it is now- everything is 1.5.0:)
    thank you!

Yeah, now that I have a website (and not just a Dropbox link) I can start at least timestamping new builds with the same version number. Pretty soon I’ll actually start increasing the version number on releases, though!

• @sonosaurus said:

@Harro said:
    @sonosaurus , I'm on Windows 7 (64bit) and your PaulXStretch EXE and VST won't run (the installation went fine - no errormessages). Did you compile it only for Windows 10 (and higher)?

Thanks, I’ll look into that…. I can’t easily test it. Can you try the SonoBus build at https://sonobus.net and let me know if that runs?

Yes @sonosaurus , I downloaded and installed 'Sonobus for Windows 7 and higher' and the exe runs fine and the VST (in Reaper) idem. No problems at all. But when I run the PaulXStretch exe, I get no errormessage, but the program just doesn't show up on screen (nothing happens...), and the VST is not visible in Reaper's plugin-list...

• Here's a first attempt at using the PaulXStretch app.

This is a 3x stretch with Num harmonics set to12, Harmonics base freq set to 128.0, and Harmonics bandwidth set to 25.00.

I was trying for the overtones that you hear with David Hykes & the Harmonic Choir.

• @Harro said:

@sonosaurus said:

@Harro said:
    @sonosaurus , I'm on Windows 7 (64bit) and your PaulXStretch EXE and VST won't run (the installation went fine - no errormessages). Did you compile it only for Windows 10 (and higher)?

Thanks, I’ll look into that…. I can’t easily test it. Can you try the SonoBus build at https://sonobus.net and let me know if that runs?

Yes @sonosaurus , I downloaded and installed 'Sonobus for Windows 7 and higher' and the exe runs fine and the VST (in Reaper) idem. No problems at all. But when I run the PaulXStretch exe, I get no errormessage, but the program just doesn't show up on screen (nothing happens...), and the VST is not visible in Reaper's plugin-list...

Ok thanks, I should be able to figure it out then…

• @sonosaurus I assume lack of monitoring audio while recording in auv3 is easily fixable? Looking forward to that working properly, pretty essential feature 👍

• @Gavinski said:
    @sonosaurus I assume lack of monitoring audio while recording in auv3 is easily fixable? Looking forward to that working properly, pretty essential feature 👍

Yeah, should be an easy one!

• @sonosaurus said:

@Gavinski said:
    @sonosaurus I assume lack of monitoring audio while recording in auv3 is easily fixable? Looking forward to that working properly, pretty essential feature 👍

Yeah, should be an easy one!

Cool!

• @gusgranite said:

@sonosaurus said:

@skiphunt said:

@sonosaurus said:

@skiphunt said:

@sonosaurus said:

@el_bo said:

@sonosaurus said:
    The iOS version is now in public TestFlight, so hopefully I can get a few more people to give some testing feedback.

I assumed you'd have been overwhelmed with testers. Happy to help out if you want more :)

Plenty of testers, but only a few reported any feedback (thank you, there were and are still bugs!). Got it to the point I might as well open the gates.

Do you want any nitpicky interface issue reports?

Feel free to PM me the nitpicky stuff.

Also, is this going to remain free or will the released iOS version have a fee?

All free, all the time

Well… that’s great! Although… even though I already have too many apps… I think I’d pay a little for this one :)

As this code open source, and mostly not even written by me, I feel that it would not be right to charge anything for it.

Classy 👍

Extremely. Please add a tip option or something similar so you at least get some beers and maybe even a dinner for all your effort.

• edited April 2022

@Liquidmantis said:

@gusgranite said:

@sonosaurus said:
    As this code open source, and mostly not even written by me, I feel that it would not be right to charge anything for it.

Classy 👍

Extremely. Please add a tip option or something similar so you at least get some beers and maybe even a dinner for all your effort.

I don't plan on adding any IAP tip option, but if you feel so inclined there is a donate link on the website.... thanks!

• This pairs really nicely with the cross fader in Drambo. All the sliders can be mapped and morphed between scenes. It’s great fun, I’ve lost a big chunk of my evening

• New update available for Mac/Win/iOS, download from https://sonosaurus.com/paulxstretch

v1.5.1 mac/win, shows up as 1.5.0(107) for iOS

• fixed passthrough when capturing
    • added declicking fades when bypassing input passthrough, playback, and recording
    • layout tweaks for extra small windows
    • waveform scrollbar improvements, visible edge drag handles, and allows dragging from anywhere
    • minor visual tweaks
    • plugin supports multi-bus inputs and outputs (mac/win)
    • fixed AudioUnit validation problem (Mac)
    • fixed VST3 installation issue on windows
      (be sure to uninstall first, you may need to manually remove the C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\PaulXStretch.vst3 first)
  • @sonosaurus said:
    New update available for Mac/Win/iOS, download from https://sonosaurus.com/paulxstretch

v1.5.1 mac/win, shows up as 1.5.0(107) for iOS

• fixed passthrough when capturing
    • added declicking fades when bypassing input passthrough, playback, and recording
    • layout tweaks for extra small windows
    • waveform scrollbar improvements, visible edge drag handles, and allows dragging from anywhere
    • minor visual tweaks
    • plugin supports multi-bus inputs and outputs (mac/win)
    • fixed AudioUnit validation problem (Mac)
    • fixed VST3 installation issue on windows
      (be sure to uninstall first, you may need to manually remove the C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\PaulXStretch.vst3 first)

Fast work! Thanks a lot 🙏

• This is awesome....
    Gonna dig out my Kylie singles for some audio gymnastics!!!
    Brilliant!

• Great UI improvements and audio pass through recording! 👍 And as usual,I never came on a single bug 😅 (which makes me not useful as a beta tester)

• @Harro said:

@sonosaurus said:

@Harro said:

@sonosaurus , I installed version 1.5.1, but it didn't solve the Windows 7 problems (as mentioned above)... It's not a big problem for me personally, because I have the 'old' PaulStrech-VST on my PC (and now PaulXStretch on iPad!); maybe just change the head for the Windows installer-download on https://sonosaurus.com/paulxstretch/ in 'Windows 10 and above' (if that works?).

• @Harro said:

@Harro said:

@sonosaurus said:

@Harro said:

@sonosaurus , I installed version 1.5.1, but it didn't solve the Windows 7 problems (as mentioned above)... It's not a big problem for me personally, because I have the 'old' PaulStrech-VST on my PC (and now PaulXStretch on iPad!); maybe just change the head for the Windows installer-download on https://sonosaurus.com/paulxstretch/ in 'Windows 10 and above' (if that works?).

I haven’t given up yet, I’ll direct message you if I have further things to try.

• wow, great update!!!
    It'd be awesome being able to reverse the captured buffer, just thinking outloud 😂

• @sonosaurus said:

@skiphunt said:
    Curious, when I record into the AUv3 version it looks like it’s creating a .wav file. Is that saved somewhere? Or does it evaporate when I close the app?

Ah, good question... it is actually recording into the local document space of the plugin itself... the only place you can access it later is in the plugin. I should probably have that going to a shared folder that at least the standalone can also access.

Actually, I think they are not going anywhere at all accessible after the fact (unless you happened to save the session while you had one in use). The load audio... feature won't browse to where they actually are right now.

• edited April 2022

@sonosaurus said:

@sonosaurus said:

@skiphunt said:
    Curious, when I record into the AUv3 version it looks like it’s creating a .wav file. Is that saved somewhere? Or does it evaporate when I close the app?

Ah, good question... it is actually recording into the local document space of the plugin itself... the only place you can access it later is in the plugin. I should probably have that going to a shared folder that at least the standalone can also access.

Actually, I think they are not going anywhere at all accessible after the fact (unless you happened to save the session while you had one in use). The load audio... feature won't browse to where they actually are right now.

I can access those recordings in the Files app in a folder called Captures. Double tapping on them opens them in PXS. And the Load Audio feature opens the Files app and you can navigate to that folder to import previous recordings. This works standalone and AU

When doing a render it would be nice if you could create a folder for that particular session ie: if I’ve recorded some speech, create a folder called Speech that I could then save my renders to instead of the just going to the root PXS folder.

• This is an amazing app! Sort of a black hole for sound! Very inspiring! Thanks @sonosaurus!

• @anickt said:

@sonosaurus said:

@sonosaurus said:

@skiphunt said:

I can access those recordings in the Files app in a folder called Captures. Double tapping on them opens them in PXS. And the Load Audio feature opens the Files app and you can navigate to that folder to import previous recordings. This works standalone and AU

When doing a render it would be nice if you could create a folder for that particular session ie: if I’ve recorded some speech, create a folder called Speech that I could then save my renders to instead of the just going to the root PXS folder.

That Captures folder is only within the standalone version and recordings done there. When you use the plugin version and capture within that, those go into a hidden place that there is no mechanism to access.

I’ll consider some additional folder destination ability for the render dialog.

• @sonosaurus said:

@anickt said:

@sonosaurus said:

@sonosaurus said:

@skiphunt said:

That Captures folder is only within the standalone version and recordings done there. When you use the plugin version and capture within that, those go into a hidden place that there is no mechanism to access.

Gotcha - I didn't try capturing into AU and looking for the captured audio. I tend to use import more than capture anyway. Thanks

• @DavidEnglish said:
    Here's a first attempt at using the PaulXStretch app.

This is a 3x stretch with Num harmonics set to12, Harmonics base freq set to 128.0, and Harmonics bandwidth set to 25.00.

I was trying for the overtones that you hear with David Hykes & the Harmonic Choir.

Absolutely gorgeous. Love it, I'm properly zoned out <3

• @sonosaurus said:

@anickt said:

@sonosaurus said:

@sonosaurus said:

@skiphunt said:

So... if these recordings within the AUv3 app are stored in an inaccessible hidden place... are we filling up our device storage with these test recordings with no way to delete them? Or, do they evaporate after the session is closed?

• Beta is full. Possible to add more spots? Thanks!

• @auxmux said:
    Beta is full. Possible to add more spots? Thanks!

Oops! Try it now.

• @sonosaurus said:

@auxmux said:
    Beta is full. Possible to add more spots? Thanks!

Oops! Try it now.

No problem, got it. Thanks!

• @skiphunt said:

@sonosaurus said:

So... if these recordings within the AUv3 app are stored in an inaccessible hidden place... are we filling up our device storage with these test recordings with no way to delete them? Or, do they evaporate after the session is closed?

They are using up space right now, unless you turn off the save capture to disk option. I’ll add a way to manage them and access them in the future.