Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

PaulXStretch - Extreme Time Stretching

Comments

• Obviously the main difference is this is auv3. Just curious about sound quality

• edited April 2022

@Gavinski said:
    Ah, can't wait to try this! How does it compare to Audiostretch?
    Obviously the main difference is this is auv3. Just curious about sound quality

It’s a totally different concept, apples and oranges really. PaulXStretch is all about making it into an ambient sound design, and not about maintaining the same thing just longer. Take a watch of the video I posted to get a feel for what it’s about.

• @sonosaurus said:
    You can quickly spend hours listening to what comes out of this thing, beware!

I remember some years ago that someone slowed down a Justin Bieber song to a really slow speed, and it went on for way longer than the original time. I listened to it all the way through as the results were actually pretty awesome!

• @sonosaurus said:

@Gavinski said:
    Ah, can't wait to try this! How does it compare to Audiostretch?
    Obviously the main difference is this is auv3. Just curious about sound quality

It’s a totally different concept, apples and oranges really. PaulXStretch is all about making it into an ambient sound design, and not about maintaining the same thing just longer. Take a watch of the video I posted to get a feel for what it’s about.

Definitely downloading when i get home. Thanks for making this free!

• @sonosaurus said:
    And for a good overview of how to use it, check out this tutorial:

It was based on the earlier version, even though it looks a little different, everything still applies.

What is the "Space Arp" app he mentions at the end? I googled but came up short.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@sonosaurus said:

It was based on the earlier version, even though it looks a little different, everything still applies.

What is the "Space Arp" app he mentions at the end? I googled but came up short.

I feel like he just means any spacey arpeggiator synth patch. Could be wrong…

• @sonosaurus said:
    As discussed in another thread, I've taken over maintenance of the PaulXStretch application/plugin and have made some updates to the Mac/Windows version, as well as getting an iOS version working (standalone and AUv3 effect plugin).

PaulXStretch is designed for radical transformation of sounds. It is not suitable for subtle time or pitch correction. Ambient music and sound design are probably the most suitable use cases. It can turn any audio into hours or days of ambient soundscape, in an amazingly smooth and beautiful way. The project is open source and free.

The iOS version is now in public TestFlight, so hopefully I can get a few more people to give some testing feedback.

I also made a new website for it, which has links for all the current builds, and also to the iOS TestFlight public signup.

https://sonosaurus.com/paulxstretch

Please let me know if you have any questions... and also try out the desktop versions as well!

@sonosaurus said:
    As discussed in another thread, I've taken over maintenance of the PaulXStretch application/plugin and have made some updates to the Mac/Windows version, as well as getting an iOS version working (standalone and AUv3 effect plugin).

PaulXStretch is designed for radical transformation of sounds. It is not suitable for subtle time or pitch correction. Ambient music and sound design are probably the most suitable use cases. It can turn any audio into hours or days of ambient soundscape, in an amazingly smooth and beautiful way. The project is open source and free.

The iOS version is now in public TestFlight, so hopefully I can get a few more people to give some testing feedback.

I also made a new website for it, which has links for all the current builds, and also to the iOS TestFlight public signup.

https://sonosaurus.com/paulxstretch

Please let me know if you have any questions... and also try out the desktop versions as well!

This is FANTASTIC! Thank you so much. For what it’s worth, I tried to give you a PayPal donation, but weirdly got the message “PayPal donations to this customer are not allowed in your country” or something along those lines. Tried again with vpn set to US, still didn’t work. Sorry that didn’t work out, but thank you again - the ultimate drone machine.

• When using as AUv3, how to monitor input while recording?

• @Gavinski said:
    When using as AUv3, how to monitor input while recording?

The button near the top right with the mic and speaker enables input passthrough.

• @Gavinski : this is orders of magnitude slower and weirder than AudioStretch, been waiting for it forever. @sonosaurus : I’m on the TestFlight, and have so far offered no feedback, but only because a) I’m having too much fun and b) I’m not smart enough to know if glitches have been operator error. I’ll knuckle down to the task…

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@sonosaurus said:

I think he's just referring to the style of the phrase he's playing - a spacey sounding arp...

• @sonosaurus said:

@Gavinski said:
    When using as AUv3, how to monitor input while recording?

The button near the top right with the mic and speaker enables input passthrough.

Tried that - didn't work as expected - yes it monitors but as soon as i press record there is no sound. Even then if i repeatedly press that button there is no sound st all while recording. Need to be able to hear audio while recording to make good loops - am I missing something?

• @Svetlovska said:
    @Gavinski : this is orders of magnitude slower and weirder than AudioStretch, been waiting for it forever. @sonosaurus : I’m on the TestFlight, and have so far offered no feedback, but only because a) I’m having too much fun and b) I’m not smart enough to know if glitches have been operator error. I’ll knuckle down to the task…

It certainly is a different beast indeed!

• Kind of makes me think of The Man With X Ray Eyes, The Incredible Shrinking Man, or Marvel’s take on the Quantum Realm, extreme trips where you get to see through to the absolute atoms of sound, a universe of space between fragments of frequency. Glorious!

• Great combo with spacefields too. But is monitoring while recording working for you in the auv3 @Svetlovska?

• I do feel by the way that this is an app that could really use 'big knobs'. The tiniest alterations can produce very different results. Would like to map everything to my nanokontrol to dial things in more precisely.

• @Gavinski said:
    Great combo with spacefields too. But is monitoring while recording working for you in the auv3 @Svetlovska?

@sonosaurus : in the AUv3, passthrough isn't working during record....even if the mute during capture is off.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:
    Great combo with spacefields too. But is monitoring while recording working for you in the auv3 @Svetlovska?

@sonosaurus : in the AUv3, passthrough isn't working during record....even if the mute during capture is off.

Thanks for confirming

• edited April 2022

@Gavinski : this is why I am a bad beta tester. Yes, I can hear the pass through by clicking the speaker icon top right while playing, no not monitoring when I hit record, but since I then just mess with the recorded result (or, more often, import audio) it didn’t really occur to me that this might be a problem. Also: it takes time for the sound to start if you have extremely stretched it, and is very sensitive to the in app filter and other settings, so I suspect some people wondering why it isn’t working may just not have waited long enough before hitting something else and starting off the processing again. Might be an idea to have a ‘spinning rainbow wheel’ or something somewhere on screen to show that the app is still working…? I’ll post it as feedback…

• @Svetlovska said:
    @Gavinski : this is why I am a bad beta tester. Yes, I can hear the pass through by clicking the speaker icon top right while playing, no not monitoring when I hit record, but since I then just mess with the recorded result, it didn’t really occur to me that this might be a problem. Also: it takes time for the sound to start if you have extremely stretched it, so I suspect some people wondering why it isn’t working may just not have waited long enough before hitting something else and starting off the processing again. Might be an idea to have a ‘spinning rainbow wheel’ or something somewhere on screen to show that the app is still working…? I’ll post it as feedback…

Nope - it's plain and simply not monitoring audio while recording lol

• @sonosaurus:
    (requesting) please add a date stamp on the build on mac and pc versions.
    as it is now- everything is 1.5.0:)
    thank you!

• Speechless here

• @Gavinski i missed the monitoring thing somehow, I was on the standalone when I first recorded, then later was just using it among other stuff in auv3 so didn’t notice… big knobs on this would be great for sure, even to the level of di furia!

• @Gavinski said:

@Svetlovska said:
    @Gavinski : this is why I am a bad beta tester. Yes, I can hear the pass through by clicking the speaker icon top right while playing, no not monitoring when I hit record, but since I then just mess with the recorded result, it didn’t really occur to me that this might be a problem. Also: it takes time for the sound to start if you have extremely stretched it, so I suspect some people wondering why it isn’t working may just not have waited long enough before hitting something else and starting off the processing again. Might be an idea to have a ‘spinning rainbow wheel’ or something somewhere on screen to show that the app is still working…? I’ll post it as feedback…

Nope - it's plain and simply not monitoring audio while recording lol

check out the mute passthrough setting, maybe that will work

• edited April 2022

@Gavinski said:
    I do feel by the way that this is an app that could really use 'big knobs'. The tiniest alterations can produce very different results. Would like to map everything to my nanokontrol to dial things in more precisely.

maybe not bigger knobs but 'slower' ones. something like tab-holding an area/button in the ui that makes tweaking the knobs more precise as long you hold it

• edited April 2022

@sonosaurus: would love to overdub the captured buffer to stack layers of audio while performing. i guess this is not the intended idea of this app but i imagine it to be very cool while develooping a soundscape perfoming live.

great project. big up to all involved!

• @sonosaurus said:

@el_bo said:

@sonosaurus said:

I assumed you'd have been overwhelmed with testers. Happy to help out if you want more :)

Plenty of testers, but only a few reported any feedback (thank you, there were and are still bugs!). Got it to the point I might as well open the gates.

Ah...gotcha. Well, i signed up anyway. Can't claim to be a power-user, so not sure I'll unearth anything that hasn't already stuck out as obvious. All seems to work out as expected, so far. Will keep playing.

Cheers :)

• @sonosaurus , I'm on Windows 7 (64bit) and your PaulXStretch EXE and VST won't run (the installation went fine - no errormessages). Did you compile it only for Windows 10 (and higher)?

• @nuno_agogo said:

@Gavinski said:
    I do feel by the way that this is an app that could really use 'big knobs'. The tiniest alterations can produce very different results. Would like to map everything to my nanokontrol to dial things in more precisely.

maybe not bigger knobs but 'slower' ones. something like tab-holding an area/button in the ui that makes tweaking the knobs more precise as long you hold it

Turn off the Sliders Jump to position option, and that will slow down the sliders if you are on a small screen. I may make that the default on iOS.

• @Harro said:
    @sonosaurus , I'm on Windows 7 (64bit) and your PaulXStretch EXE and VST won't run (the installation went fine - no errormessages). Did you compile it only for Windows 10 (and higher)?

Thanks, I’ll look into that…. I can’t easily test it. Can you try the SonoBus build at https://sonobus.net and let me know if that runs?