Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

its 2022, has Apple gone over board with holding back technology for profit?

Comments

• @Simon said:

@GavrielProductions said:
    Example, Catalina updates crippled and eventually bricked allot of MacBooks during 2018, EU customers where able to bring them to Apple certified stores to be fixed but all employees where told to LIE and use this to extort more money from older device owners,

"all employees where told to LIE"?

Says who?

Some random YouTuber?

• heshes
    edited April 2022

@NeonSilicon said:

@hes said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    Why can't an iPad Pro today function like a MacBook Pro if its got the power and speed?

Because it's not a macOS device. That's a primary selling point for many of its users. Why can't a chromebook do what a Windows machine can? They buyers don't want it to.

"Because it's not a macOS device." ?? This sounds more like a tautology than an actual justification. The hardware could be a macOS device; the only essential hardware difference is the touch interface. Apple could surely extend macOS for touch and enable it to run on iPads if they wanted to.

I think an actual justification would involve listing the advantages that iOS/iPadOS devices have over macOS (mainly security, I think) and why it's worth retaining them rather than going with the more open and flexible, but less secure, macOS model.

There is very little different in security between macOS and iOS. For me, my Mac is more secure than my iPad. I can add security measures to my Mac that iOS doesn't allow. The simple point that I can add actual third party browsers with real blockers and access control makes it so that I do not use my iPad for general browsing. I get up off of my couch and walk to my office to use my Mac when I need to search for information on the wider web. (I'll use my iPad if I know and trust the site.)

I think we're in general agreement that MacOS is not available on iOS/iPadOS devices because Apple doesn't want it to be, and not because of hardware limitations.

But your comment regarding security seems to miss its importance: a big advantage of iOS/iPadOS is that it enforces a certain minimum level of security on iOS/iPadOS users, that they can't bypass, or which is very difficult to bypass.

Yes, any given Mac can be more secure (or less secure) than an iOS/iPadOS device. As always, MacOS is more flexible. A savvy user can configure and use MacOS however they want. This is not the case with iOS/iPadOS, where a certain level of security against third party threats is enforced by requiring curation by the AppStore and by sandboxing individual apps; and security against the user shooting themselves in the foot (and/or bypassing restrictions) is enforced by disallowing root access.

Many complaints of the form "Why can't Apple make an iPad work like a Mac?" relate to frustrations with file handling, and to restrictions created by sandboxing of individual apps. These restrictions, and the frustration that they cause to users (and developers) have nothing to do with there being a touch interface.

As an example, I see no reason why Apple couldn't fairly easily add a command line shell on iOS/iPadOS that is completely separate from the GUI and touch features. This could have full root access and give power users an experience much like they have in a terminal on MacOS. It would greatly increase the "power" of iOS/iPadOS devices. However, this would also give users the power to screw up their systems, so Apple (with good reason) is unlikely to do it.

So, I'd say that a decent answer to OP's question, "Why can't Apple make an iPad work like a Mac?" would be something like this: Apple could do that, there's nothing in the hardware that prevents it. But Apple won't do it, because it would work against advantages inherent to iOS/iPadOS.

• @hes said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@hes said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    Why can't an iPad Pro today function like a MacBook Pro if its got the power and speed?

Because it's not a macOS device. That's a primary selling point for many of its users. Why can't a chromebook do what a Windows machine can? They buyers don't want it to.

"Because it's not a macOS device." ?? This sounds more like a tautology than an actual justification. The hardware could be a macOS device; the only essential hardware difference is the touch interface. Apple could surely extend macOS for touch and enable it to run on iPads if they wanted to.

I think an actual justification would involve listing the advantages that iOS/iPadOS devices have over macOS (mainly security, I think) and why it's worth retaining them rather than going with the more open and flexible, but less secure, macOS model.

There is very little different in security between macOS and iOS. For me, my Mac is more secure than my iPad. I can add security measures to my Mac that iOS doesn't allow. The simple point that I can add actual third party browsers with real blockers and access control makes it so that I do not use my iPad for general browsing. I get up off of my couch and walk to my office to use my Mac when I need to search for information on the wider web. (I'll use my iPad if I know and trust the site.)

I think we're in general agreement that MacOS is not available on iOS/iPadOS devices because Apple doesn't want it to be, and not because of hardware limitations.

But your comment regarding security seems to miss its importance: a big advantage of iOS/iPadOS is that it enforces a certain minimum level of security on iOS/iPadOS users, that they can't bypass, or which is very difficult to bypass.

Yes, any given Mac can be more secure (or less secure) than an iOS/iPadOS device. As always, MacOS is more flexible. A savvy user can configure and use MacOS however they want. This is not the case with iOS/iPadOS, where a certain level of security against third party threats is enforced by requiring curation by the AppStore and by sandboxing individual apps; and security against the user shooting themselves in the foot (and/or bypassing restrictions) is enforced by disallowing root access.

Many complaints of the form "Why can't Apple make an iPad work like a Mac?" relate to frustrations with file handling, and to restrictions created by sandboxing of individual apps. These restrictions, and the frustration that they cause to users (and developers) have nothing to do with there being a touch interface.

As an example, I see no reason why Apple couldn't fairly easily add a command line shell on iOS/iPadOS that is completely separate from the GUI and touch features. This could have full root access and give power users an experience much like they have in a terminal on MacOS. It would greatly increase the "power" of iOS/iPadOS devices. However, this would also give users the power to screw up their systems, so Apple (with good reason) is unlikely to do it.

So, I'd say that a decent answer to OP's question, "Why can't Apple make an iPad work like a Mac?" would be something like this: Apple could do that, there's nothing in the hardware that prevents it. But Apple won't do it, because it would work against advantages inherent to iOS/iPadOS.

Yes, I basically agree with you. There are a couple of things I have a slightly different take on. In their base states, macOS and iOS are equally as secure for end users. Is it possible for a user to make macOS less secure than iOS? Yes. Is it possible for a user to make macOS more secure than iOS? Yes. But, if a user were to not mess with the settings and configurations of macOS, they can pretty much count on it being just as secure as an iPad.

The OS and filesystem on macOS and iOS are nearly identical. For me, not thinking about what I consider to be artificial limitations to prop up the App Store on iOS, the big important difference is the UI and the touch interface. When I write a UI for an iOS app my main consideration is will this work with touch. Do I have the controls big enough? Is there enough space between the controls to make them usable? When I'm writing something directly for the Mac, I'm more likely to consider things like information density and adding features for expert level control. The UI between the two is very different and I think this is reflected in Apple's libraries and applications too. I think this is an important consideration in answering the OP's original question.

All that being said, I completely agree with your last paragraph and it is the most important point.

• edited April 2022

@NeonSilicon said:

@hes said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@hes said:

@NeonSilicon said:

Yes, I basically agree with you. There are a couple of things I have a slightly different take on. In their base states, macOS and iOS are equally as secure for end users. Is it possible for a user to make macOS less secure than iOS? Yes. Is it possible for a user to make macOS more secure than iOS? Yes. But, if a user were to not mess with the settings and configurations of macOS, they can pretty much count on it being just as secure as an iPad.

The OS and filesystem on macOS and iOS are nearly identical. For me, not thinking about what I consider to be artificial limitations to prop up the App Store on iOS, the big important difference is the UI and the touch interface. When I write a UI for an iOS app my main consideration is will this work with touch. Do I have the controls big enough? Is there enough space between the controls to make them usable? When I'm writing something directly for the Mac, I'm more likely to consider things like information density and adding features for expert level control. The UI between the two is very different and I think this is reflected in Apple's libraries and applications too. I think this is an important consideration in answering the OP's original question.

All that being said, I completely agree with your last paragraph and it is the most important point.

As a person who experienced using a Microsoft Surface computer, I do not want the iPad to function just like a macOS computer. The Surface is an utter mess. The iPad/iOS devices have their shortcomings, but those are being addressed over time as they continue to be refined with software updates.

• @Simon said:

Example, Catalina updates crippled and eventually bricked allot of MacBooks during 2018, EU customers where able to bring them to Apple certified stores to be fixed but all employees where told to LIE and use this to extort more money from older device owners,

Says who?

Says millions who where duped into buying new devices after duped with lies theirs where not repairable.
    Its why Apple get sued for everyday

• edited April 2022

@Simon said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    What does any of this have to do with 2022 and holding back technology?

I'm still trying to work out what this sentence from the OP means:

"Why are we told we dont even own our devices after purchasing them while it is fraud, illegal and contacts are deemed null for suggesting this because claiming ownership falls under leasing laws obliging services through out the term?".

I keep reading it but it makes my brain hurt :smiley:

Either your wearing brown lipstick or have no musical recollection to know who Frank Zappa was and you need an RAM upgrade to store more info 😂

I doubt anyone would deny there was brainwashing here

• edited April 2022

@Simon said:

Says who?

Says millions who where duped into buying new devices after duped with lies theirs where not repairable.

And when or where did these "millions" voice the opinion that they were lied to?

And who told "all employees" to lie?

I think you are in the realms of Internet/YouTube fantasy with these wild claims.

• @GavrielProductions said:

@Simon said:

Says who?

That's not an answer to the question. Who says employees are told to lie?

Cite sources please.

• @michael_m said:

@Simon said:

Says who?

Cite sources please.

You can bet there are no sources, because this person is just trolling.

• @NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

@Simon said:

Says who?

Cite sources please.

Either that or a member of the tinfoil hat brigade.

• @michael_m said:

@NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

@Simon said:

Says who?

Cite sources please.

Tinfoil hats are an underrated fashion statement, plus they block harmful moonbeams. ;)

• @NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

@NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

@Simon said:

Says who?

Cite sources please.

Tinfoil hats are an underrated fashion statement, plus they block harmful moonbeams. ;)

Oh dear.

• @DMan said:

@NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

@NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

@Simon said:

Says who?

Cite sources please.

Oh dear.

(Sarcasm)

• @DMan said:

@NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

@NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

@Simon said:

Says who?

Cite sources please.

Oh dear.

I don't know. I find them useful for focusing radio waves into my tooth fillings so I can intercept secret communications.

• @NeonSilicon said:

I don't know. I find them useful for focusing radio waves into my tooth fillings so I can intercept secret communications.

I always have to keep ice cream at the ready, because sometimes my teeth will get real HOT

• @NeonSilicon said:

@DMan said:

@NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

@NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

@Simon said:

Says who?

Cite sources please.

Oh dear.

Getting an XLR cable connected to the teeth has been an ongoing compatibility problem.

• @NoiseHorse said:

@NeonSilicon said:

I always have to keep ice cream at the ready, because sometimes my teeth will get real HOT

You do know that Apple has been secretly buying shares in all the world’s major ice cream manufacturers, right?

• @hes said:

No. Putting a robust Unix (the variant called Mach is what Mac OS is based on after Steve Jobs rejoined Apple after creating the Next Computer running Mach OS) on an iPad breaks the intention of this secure/limited device.

Sure. It's a limitation intended to reduce attack vectors. Limit capabilities and control data exposures.

Yes, any given Mac can be more secure (or less secure) than an iOS/iPadOS device.

Choose secure or less secure. I vote for less secure but profoundly more powerful.

As always, MacOS is more flexible. A savvy user can configure and use MacOS however they want. This is not the case with iOS/iPadOS, where a certain level of security against third party threats is enforced by requiring curation by the AppStore and by sandboxing individual apps; and security against the user shooting themselves in the foot (and/or bypassing restrictions) is enforced by disallowing root access.

I'm following. But your making the case that an iPad can't do what a Mac does.

We agree.

As an example, I see no reason why Apple couldn't fairly easily add a command line shell on iOS/iPadOS that is completely separate from the GUI and touch features.

Do users want this? I do but I have used jail break hacks to get what I really want.

This could have full root access and give power users an experience much like they have in a terminal on MacOS. It would greatly increase the "power" of iOS/iPadOS devices. However, this would also give users the power to screw up their systems, so Apple (with good reason) is unlikely to do it.

Bingo. Make the system unstable and be on the hook to fix it... not something Apple will sign up for.

Yes. We are on the same page.

Honestly, I really appreciate a music production environment that just works and that I don't need to debug. IOS makes good music artifacts with the apps and interfaces apple has provided. I would like more access to files but I can duplicate files and keep creating.

• edited April 2022

@NeonSilicon said:

@Simon said:

Says who?

No one. This is total nonsense. First of all, if they were able to be repaired then they weren't bricked. If they weren't bricked than it couldn't have been a conspiracy to force people to buy new hardware. Second, some of the machines that were impacted were under warranty. Kinda silly for Apple to force repairs on themselves. Third, it was a very small percentage of machines that had issues. The number that were impacted wouldn't even begin to move the needle on the quantity of Macs Apple sold that year.

What did happen was that There was either a bug that Works pretty well actually. The last OS update I did on it "bricked" the video card. What really happened was that Nvidia sucks and their drivers didn't work in the update. But, it wasn't really bricked either. I just had to go in and do a boot to the CLI and fix the drivers. It did really look like it was bricked though and Nvidia doesn't have a nice store where I can take my computer to have it worked on.

Seriously?

The apple store disagrees with you and says you need to buy a new computer, its never apples fault you see, maybe just maybe if they are convinced your cant afford a new or refurbished replacement the Apple store employees will suggest you at least buy a new power supply or some over priced accessory (and Apple only) as no third party can sell you theirs due to this ongoing criminal racket monopoly protected by politicians., just drop by YouTube and watch congressional hearings about it inside the US., cause apple bribed many to get away with it.

I mentioned it before that Apple gets sued for these criminally motivated deceptive practices in other countries, especially the EU... they where sued for slowing down machines, sued for hacking updates to cause considerable damage to users older devices so they can extort them into buying news ones (as I mentioned in the previous paragraph), including tampering with slowing down competitor software such as Adobe's Premiere Pro just so Apple can profit of less spending on iNNOVATION..

Sorry this is not what I call innovation, if it is to you then sit in the congressional hearings about this cause they are taking place while I type., nothing said was false, fabricated or meant to put down Apple cause we all love what Steve Jobs was trying to do with this company but sadly it could be way way better today if greed and corrupted monopoly schemes where not holding Apple back.

I did not start this threat to bash Apple, I wanted to only hear what innovative musicians and content creators here thought and I know there are some great ones too, maybe you as well..

So no offence, everything you wrote about (and I do appreciate it) is something caused by APPLE and in the EU they are been sued for intentionally tampering with their updates over and over again as they admit it publicly too, yes Tim Cook refuses to continue providing updates with drivers, firmware, etc for older machines and parts like the video card you failed to mention Apple wrote horrible codes for on older iMacs (example ) and Tim Crook trying to obsolete older machines this way is illegal,..

Anyway, I was hoping some here had ideas of what Apple would be like with Jobs alive today cause the last I heard he was still fighting the greedy bankers Mr Crook is in bed with now.

• @NeuM said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@DMan said:

@NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

@NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

@Simon said:

Says who?

Cite sources please.

Oh dear.

Getting an XLR cable connected to the teeth has been an ongoing compatibility problem.

I smell the brown lipstick again...pew!

I did not start this threat to bash Apple

Could have fooled me.

@NeonSilicon said:

@Simon said:

Says who?

No one. This is total nonsense. First of all, if they were able to be repaired then they weren't bricked. If they weren't bricked than it couldn't have been a conspiracy to force people to buy new hardware. Second, some of the machines that were impacted were under warranty. Kinda silly for Apple to force repairs on themselves. Third, it was a very small percentage of machines that had issues. The number that were impacted wouldn't even begin to move the needle on the quantity of Macs Apple sold that year.

What did happen was that There was either a bug that Works pretty well actually. The last OS update I did on it "bricked" the video card. What really happened was that Nvidia sucks and their drivers didn't work in the update. But, it wasn't really bricked either. I just had to go in and do a boot to the CLI and fix the drivers. It did really look like it was bricked though and Nvidia doesn't have a nice store where I can take my computer to have it worked on.

Seriously?

Yes, seriously. Everything I said is true.

Anyway, I was hoping some here had ideas of what Apple would be like with Jobs alive today cause the last I heard he was still fighting the greedy bankers Mr Crook is in bed with now.

I'm going to ignore everything else you said in that response because clearly you are going to believe what you want to believe. But, man, that last line is just total nonsense. Jobs fighting the "greedy bankers"? Where does that even come from? He used banks and finance just like any other person in his position did and does. Jobs put Cook in the position he is in now because of Cook's acumen regarding supply chain and organizational structure. Cook is pretty much executing perfectly at this point what he did when Jobs had him in the role of COO. Whatever Cook does in this area, Jobs already approved of. The whole "Jobs vs. Cook" thing really is troll territory.

If you want to have a discussion about Apple evolving into a consumer electronics and entertainment company being good or not, fine. But man, this whole planned obsolescence thing aimed at the company with the track record of devices that have the longest useful lifespan in their market really isn't going to play.

• @michael_m said:

I did not start this threat to bash Apple

Could have fooled me.

🎖️

• Totally agree with the worst comments in this thread. We undoubtedly have absolute proof the Apple is ruled by Evil and they secretly have meetings everyday on how to take things away from us, hide the truth from us, and keep things away from us that are secretly absolutely perfect and flawless and would be 100% loved by all people everywhere except that they keep them all to themselves because it’s their business model to find the most evil ways to be sneaky and selfish. Absolute documented proof. I know for an absolute fact, I have the documents right here!, that Apple has the one best DAW/App/thingie that all humans would finally be in total agreement that it is the best and perfect and solves all problems universally. All Audiobus members totally agree.
    Okay, can we now put this thread to bed?

• I blame Trump.

• This thread is absolutely wild. Can't wait till we get to the end of season finale where Tim Cook is revealed to be an alien lizard wearing a human disguise.