Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

its 2022, has Apple gone over board with holding back technology for profit?

edited May 2022 in Other

Why can't an iPad Pro today function like a MacBook Pro if its got the power and speed?
Why are cloud services generally limited to dropbox, iCloud or google cloud?
Why are we told we dont even own our devices after purchasing them while it is fraud, illegal and contacts are deemed null for suggesting this because claiming ownership falls under leasing laws obliging services through out the term?

So many more why why and why's that I am sure people here could think of...cause we have to figure things out to make (some things) work like some sort of hackers...im a bit tired of using a iPad Pro to watch YouTube videos, check mail, surf the net, watch Netflix and fiddle with some tracks I no doubt have to finish on a MacBook Pro or iMac because of these limitations., is there anything we can all do to get Apple to focus on creators at least, I mean there are many YouTube creators.

This is not meant as a rant, I am asking if there is a group or people who feel the same about positive change so Apple can make tons of money but providing something decent besides deceptive sale tactics.

Comments

• To me it looks like Apple are just starting to recognise that a mobile phone operating system stretched to the size of an iPad won't necessarily satisfy the dreams of seasoned MacOS users, not to speak of iPad prices in the range of a Macbook Air.

But then, MacOS still has no touch support in 2022 and most Mac apps aren't prepared for it anyway.

Do you see a quick and easy solution for this dilemma?

I don't. It's not only Apple, it\s the app developers too. And at least on iOS, they have already provided an insane amount of workarounds to overcome these limitations to some extent.

• @GavrielProductions said:
    Why can't an iPad Pro today function like a MacBook Pro if its got the power and speed?

Because it's not a macOS device. That's a primary selling point for many of its users. Why can't a chromebook do what a Windows machine can? They buyers don't want it to.

Why are cloud services generally limited to dropbox, iCloud or google cloud?

Apple has an SDK for providers to make their service available.

Why are we told we dont even own our devices after purchasing them while it is fraud, illegal and contacts are deemed null for suggesting this because claiming ownership falls under leasing laws obliging services through out the term?

So many more why why and why's that I am sure people here could think of...cause we have to figure things out to make (some things) work like some sort of hackers...im a bit tired of using a iPad Pro to watch YouTube videos, check mail, surf the net, watch Netflix and fiddle with some tracks I no doubt have to finish on a MacBook Pro or iMac because of these limitations., is there anything we can all do to get Apple to focus on creators at least, I mean there are many YouTube creators.

This is not meant as a rant, I am asking if there is a group or people who feel the same about positive change so Apple can make tons of money but providing something decent besides deceptive sale tactics.

I don't think their sales tactics are deceptive. Apple is very upfront about what their devices do and won't do. I don't agree with many of their choices regarding the restrictions they put on what developers can do with the iPad and how end users can control and use their devices. I'm pretty clearly on record that I hate the App Store. I think that Apple is severely holding the iPad back and cutting off a huge number of uses for some pretty minor cash from the App Store. But, I knew that full well when I bought my latest iPad and I'll know it again when I pay them my annual $100 developer fee.

If you want Apple to change, your best bet would be to yell at Microsoft, Google, Samsung, and maybe Dell.

• "Holding back technology for profit"?

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. Just look at the fairly poor offerings from competing products and you'll realize just how far ahed of the game Apple is with their mobile devices.

• While I agree with a lot of the points here, I’d argue that at least half of ipad users want the iPad to do exactly what it does now. It’s only us more creative types that want/need the extra power. That said, I don’t know why they call it an iPad Pro without having certain pro features.

• edited April 2022

@HotStrange said:
    I don’t know why they call it an iPad Pro without having certain pro features.

Because they have to justify the brutal price tag and their target audience is buying it? 🙂 I mean this is a company that calls a keyboard "magic". 🤷

• edited April 2022

@ervin said:

@HotStrange said:
    I don’t know why they call it an iPad Pro without having certain pro features.

Because they have to justify the brutal price tag and their target audience is buying it? 🙂 I mean this is a company that calls a keyboard "magic". 🤷

They Magic Keyboard Cover is rather magical, if you ask me. I see every advance in the iPad ecosystem (except for the removal of the 1/8" in. headphone jack and the thumbprint reader) as a minor miracle, having experienced everything from room-sized IBM mainframes down to the development of the first home computing systems. So many times we don't realize how good we have it today.

• There are huge differences inside the covers of an iPad Pro and a MacBook Pro.

The iPad is a result of pulling more and more system functionality into a concentrated
    "system on a chip" (SOC).

The Mac products are networks of processing functionality. The interconnects between chips are system busses that have very high throughout specs. I'm interested in the top line iPad to get a mobile device that supports the USB 4/Thunderbolt external devices. That's a Pro feature for video editing, for example which is the Pro Apple is targeting. We are just another consumer type but not the Audio Pro that uses Macs.

Moving Logic's code from Mac system design to iPad's much more basic functionality and "sandboxed" file system is something we want and something Apple would see as wasting engineering effort for little return. Pros will buy the Mac Studio to get 100's of tracks.

I will buy the iPad to write and upload music on the beach using the cellular network. What? No cellular chip in a MacBook! WTF!

• @McD said:
    There are huge differences inside the covers of an iPad Pro and a MacBook Pro.

The iPad is a result of pulling more and more system functionality into a concentrated

The Mac products are networks of processing functionality. The interconnects between chips are system busses that have very high throughout specs. I'm interested in the top line iPad to get a mobile device that supports the USB 4/Thunderbolt external devices. That's a Pro feature for video editing, for example which is the Pro Apple is targeting. We are just another consumer type but not the Audio Pro that uses Macs.

Moving Logic's code from Mac system design to iPad's much more basic functionality and "sandboxed" file system is something we want and something Apple would see as wasting engineering effort for little return. Pros will buy the Mac Studio to get 100's of tracks.

I will buy the iPad to write and upload music on the beach using the cellular network. What? No cellular chip in a MacBook! WTF!

Haha.

What "deceptive sale tactics"?

• Hey guys…

Just found this YouTube post. thought it might be interesting to some of you..

• edited April 2022

@willg said:
    Hey guys…

Just found this YouTube post. thought it might be interesting to some of you..

Apple bashing is good for getting lots of views on YouTube.

If you don't like the iPad then don't get one. If you think Android is better then get that.

• I wonder:
    What would you get with with a self-configurated windows PC for the price of an entry-level Mac Studio (2300 Euro)?

• edited April 2022

A few years ago I might have agreed with this post....
    Until release of the M1/ M1 Pro/ M1 Max/ M1 Ultra chips + larger storage changed everything......
    I can't complain about anything but the price.....
    Technology wise Apple let the dogs loose on the competition

• @Identor said:
    I wonder:
    What would you get with with a self-configurated windows PC for the price of an entry-level Mac Studio (2300 Euro)?

You’d get a computer that runs windows. That’s the part of the computer I don’t really like.

• @mrufino1 said:

@Identor said:
    I wonder:

You’d get a computer that runs windows. That’s the part of the computer I don’t really like.

With windoze is already broken, but then, whoops, you update your Mac :D

• edited April 2022

@mrufino1 said:

@Identor said:
    I wonder:

I like MacOS also more than Windows, but sometimes i like to do a bit of gaming. It seems that the graphics performance on the new Apple chips (M1) lacks for gaming in comparison with windows pc's with a dedicated graphics card. It could also be the 1-core performance of the CPU, because not all games are designed for multicore performance.

• heshes
    edited April 2022

@NeonSilicon said:
    @GavrielProductions said:

Because it's not a macOS device. That's a primary selling point for many of its users. Why can't a chromebook do what a Windows machine can? They buyers don't want it to.

"Because it's not a macOS device." ?? To me this sounds more like a tautology than an actual justification, and it also doesn't really answer the question. The hardware could be a macOS device; the only essential hardware difference is the touch interface. Apple could surely extend macOS for touch and enable it to run on iPads if they wanted to.

I think an actual justification would involve listing the advantages that iOS/iPadOS devices have over macOS (mainly security, I think) and why it's worth retaining them rather than going with the more open and flexible, but less secure, macOS model.

@McD said:
    There are huge differences inside the covers of an iPad Pro and a MacBook Pro.

I don't think there's any important hardware difference, other than touch functionality, and macOS could certainly be extended to support touch. However, there are reasons (e.g., security) that go against idea of running macOS on iPads. Coincidentally (or maybe not) Apple's system that maintains security on iOS/iPadOS devices limits app installs to those from its own AppStore, which is a big profit center. Is there some way to make installing apps more open (and also remove iOS's sandboxing of running apps) that retains the same amount of security? I can't quite see it.

All that isn't to say that more can't be done within the iOS/iPadOS systems. For example, better inter-app file handling while still preserving individual app sandboxing.

• @Identor said:

@mrufino1 said:

@Identor said:
    I wonder:

I like MacOS also more than Windows, but sometimes i like to do a bit of gaming. It seems that the graphics performance on the new Apple chips (M1) lacks for gaming in comparison with windows pc's with a dedicated graphics card. It could also be the 1-core performance of the CPU, because not all games are designed for multicore performance.

I understand. I don’t do any gaming, so not something I really think about. In terms of music production though, I don’t like using windows for that, so even though I know people build some pretty smoking setups for windows, I don’t like it as an OS, which is the part I interact with the most.

I do know, however, that windows has advantages in streaming video over a Mac and at some point if the streaming gigs I do get complicated enough I’ll have to use windows for that. But for now, I can do what I need in that regard in Mac.

• @hes said:

@NeonSilicon said:

"Because it's not a macOS device." ?? This sounds more like a tautology than an actual justification. The hardware could be a macOS device; the only essential hardware difference is the touch interface. Apple could surely extend macOS for touch and enable it to run on iPads if they wanted to.

I think an actual justification would involve listing the advantages that iOS/iPadOS devices have over macOS (mainly security, I think) and why it's worth retaining them rather than going with the more open and flexible, but less secure, macOS model.

To re-quote your most important line

the only essential hardware difference is the touch interface.

That's not only a hardware difference. This is the difference between a Mac and an iPad. Retooling macOS to be a touch interface would ruin macOS for most of what it's good at. Simply bringing Logic to iOS as it is on the Mac would be useless. The only reason I own an iPhone or an iPad is how well Apple has done the touch interface.

For many users, the lack of configuration of the iPad is a strong selling point. That's also not a macOS device. Things that frustrate many people here like not being able to choose audio routing or make aggregate devices is a benefit for lots of people. Not being a Mac is a big selling point for iPads.

There is very little different in security between macOS and iOS. For me, my Mac is more secure than my iPad. I can add security measures to my Mac that iOS doesn't allow. The simple point that I can add actual third party browsers with real blockers and access control makes it so that I do not use my iPad for general browsing. I get up off of my couch and walk to my office to use my Mac when I need to search for information on the wider web. (I'll use my iPad if I know and trust the site.)

• I'll try and analogy that most will simply ignore but maybe someone will get the difference:

An iPad is like an electric scooter.
    A MacBook is like a Tesla.

Adding extra seats to a scooter doesn't give it the travel capacity of the Tesla.

Hardware details:
    MEMORY
    iPads top out at 8GB of system RAM... 98% of us have a lot less.
    That RAM must hold the OS and all loaded apps.

MacBooks start at 8GB and go up to 128 (or more)
    That RAM is managed by a virtual memory system with hardware support chips that can let it hold the OS and up to a TB's of applications and data. The virtual memory limit is a factor of the attached SSD that can be used to swap in/out apps and data on demand.

STORAGE
    iPads max out at 2TB of storage. Mine has 128GB. Ouch.

Mac's can attached dozens of storage devices in various technologies (SSD's, RAID arrays, Hard Disks, Flash Drives, etc). Addressable storage can go into the petabyte ranges.

System Buses
    Macs use PCI-E buses to reduce the number of stops between CPU/Memory manager chip and external devices. Smoking' bus speeds, throughput and latencies approaching the speed of light.

iPads are luck to have USB 4/Thunderbolt on the top of the line. USB 4 is a version of PCI-E.
    Recently iPad OS added flash drove support but we all know the system has it's private files and we have our data files. iCloud extends the addressable storage to GB's at the speed of email. Yeah. Try putting all your AudioLayer instruments into the iCloud and use them in a love band... big mistake and solid Wi-Fi is required. Maybe the external drives will become first class devices soon.

Mac support dozens of users with file and data security.

iPad support a single Apple ID. Thankfully we can re-use the ID across devices but can't back up our apps and share them. We only recently were allowed to create apps on the device that would run on the device. Soon we'll be able to upload custom apps to the store and let someone see/use our work. I suppose we could share source code and let someone do the compile/install steps on using their own account.

Declaring iPads and Macs to be equivalent in all areas except touch just shows a limited understanding of computer operating systems and hardware design. Get angry or do the homework. Expertise really matters. I'm NO expert but I am educated to a bachelors degree level on 80's technology.

There are real experts here and I hope they weigh in on the rationale of these 3 classes of
    devices Apple designs and markets and why they get different software products OTHER than "GREED".

• @Simon said:

What "deceptive sale tactics"?

Outside the United States Apple pays millions in fines for tampering with older devices in order to support sales of current releases, for example EUROPEAN laws require Apple to Repaire devices that are effected by updates, EU insurance covers this which was and still is Apples fault.

Example, Catalina updates crippled and eventually bricked allot of MacBooks during 2018, EU customers where able to bring them to Apple certified stores to be fixed but all employees where told to LIE and use this to extort more money from older device owners,

Example, instead of telling customers the updates/Upgrades are just 95% of codes to eliminate 3rd party support for accessories by developers who stopped paying Apple their annual fees and 5% of firmware for parts Apple decided to not support any longer in a new OS to cripple the devices Apple instead tells their employees to blame the cause on accessory or part they can sell their victims of forced obsolescence., the EU fined Apple multiple times while the US senators collude with Apple and mainstream media to protect these types of deception practises.

I will post (a few) examples of apple paying lollipop fines in the millions as they reek over 500 million an hour world wide.
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/04/08/apple-to-pay-34m-in-chile-to-settle-planned-obsolescence-lawsuit
    https://www.politico.eu/article/apple-fined-e25m-in-france-for-misleading-consumers-about-slowed-down-iphones/

I say the reason tech companies are been ruined is due to corrupt hypocritical politicians, greedy stock investors and morons who censor evidences and pretend all this is not true..

There where discussions about about fines for websites that also provided support to assist with covering up abuses by both politicians and tech giants in the business of cheating the public, these discussions took place after 911 after the FBI had provided a tech team who concluded that there was serious collusion taking place by a number of companies seeking to profit from 911 and the anti terrorist bill by creating a cabal and using it to abuse censorship against competitors or critics of their products.

And just like those null user end (rental) agreements that are required to have a obligation to repair free many websites colluding to censor evidence of abuses-crimes claim they can get away with it cause they are private and free but its not true if the website is open to the public, example Qoura etc.., cause if it was true pedophiles, drug dealers, thieves, rapists, hackers can use websites to pose as sheep while hunting for victims.

But of course there are people even here who will pretend this is all a conspiracy theory even when the FBI and DOJ post info to warn the public every day., cause politicians are causing delays in laws to end all this.

• ˆˆˆ Why do all of these baiting posts look and smell like a bot posted them?

• @NeuM said:
    ˆˆˆ Why do all of these baiting posts look and smell like a bot posted them?

English might not be their 1st language.

• Battery gate is a really bad example of "planned obsolescence." It's a bad take because what Apple was doing was the exact opposite. Were they arrogant and obnoxious? Yes. But, they were actually trying to extend the useful life of the devices for most users. They should have been upfront and presented the option to users. That's where the arrogance comes in. They always think they know better than you what you need/want from your device. But, it absolutely is not an example of planned obsolescence. Overall, it's pretty silly to accuse the company with the computing products that have the overall longest useful lifespan of planned obsolescence.

What does any of this have to do with 2022 and holding back technology?

• edited April 2022

@NeonSilicon said:
    What does any of this have to do with 2022 and holding back technology?

I'm still trying to work out what this sentence from the OP means:

"Why are we told we dont even own our devices after purchasing them while it is fraud, illegal and contacts are deemed null for suggesting this because claiming ownership falls under leasing laws obliging services through out the term?".

I keep reading it but it makes my brain hurt :smiley:

• I've just gone for a new Mac mini, but still kept my previous one as a backup, as storage etc. I bought it in 2012. Planned obsolescence, sure. 🙂

BTW I strongly dislike Apple as a company, for reasons mentioned in the comments above and elsewhere in this forum. I also think they are now firmly behind both Windows and Android in terms of general user experience (at least when that user is me 🙂). Basically, a great hardware manufacturer with so-so software. BUT. I'm not aware of any alternative to the music making environment they offer both on the desktop and on tablet. So here I am. 🤷

• Is there a perfect app/daw/system/user experience?
    Is the grass greener somewhere?
    Is better really better?
    What is “the way it ought to be”?
    Nothing matters and what if it did?

Example, Catalina updates crippled and eventually bricked allot of MacBooks during 2018, EU customers where able to bring them to Apple certified stores to be fixed but all employees where told to LIE and use this to extort more money from older device owners,

"all employees where told to LIE"?

Says who?

• @Simon said:

"all employees where told to LIE"?

Says who?

No one. This is total nonsense. First of all, if they were able to be repaired then they weren't bricked. If they weren't bricked than it couldn't have been a conspiracy to force people to buy new hardware. Second, some of the machines that were impacted were under warranty. Kinda silly for Apple to force repairs on themselves. Third, it was a very small percentage of machines that had issues. The number that were impacted wouldn't even begin to move the needle on the quantity of Macs Apple sold that year.

What did happen was that the update also included a firmware update for the UEFI. There was either a bug in the update or the installer that caused problems for some machines. There were various fixes that worked to recover the machines. The worst cases needed to be put into DFU mode and wiped completely for a restore. That would suck pretty bad if you didn't have a backup. It does happen though. My Windows PC used to "brick" itself every time there was firmware update for the BIOS. It wasn't really bricked either. I'd have to go in and do a hardware reset on the BIOS configuration and then reconfigure it to work. Thankfully, that mainboard finally died last year and when I replaced it with new components I moved to Linux on it so I could play with the Valve Steam stuff on it. Works pretty well actually. The last OS update I did on it "bricked" the video card. What really happened was that Nvidia sucks and their drivers didn't work in the update. But, it wasn't really bricked either. I just had to go in and do a boot to the CLI and fix the drivers. It did really look like it was bricked though and Nvidia doesn't have a nice store where I can take my computer to have it worked on.