Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Got a guitar? Got Drambo? Become a Pedal Builder!

edited April 2022 in App Tips and Tricks

Here you'll find a few ideas about what to do with a modular synth setup as an effects processor. Great job Andrew!
And no, you won't even need the next big Drambo release for all that.
The modules come with the latest official version already.
Enjoy!

Edit: More from Rob's channel!

Edit 2: Changed the thread title a bit.

Comments

• Drambo + MIDI Guitar 2 & MIDI note filtering is my jam ❤️

Lately I have been loving P-locking Eventide Crush Station. So cool to automate the sag and octave modes.

• edited April 2022

I think you meant harp, not guitar. I don’t know what that monstrosity is

But honestly jealous that people get to experiment and have fun with such an assortment of equipment all day

• @BroCoast said:
    Drambo + MIDI Guitar 2 & MIDI note filtering is my jam ❤️

Lately I have been loving P-locking Eventide Crush Station. So cool to automate the sag and octave modes.

This sounds interesting. Might have to give this a try!

• Btw, I was just watching the video with Rob Scallon and Andrew playing with this idea when I saw this thread

• I like that pink cable, but it’s waaaaaay too short.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I like that pink cable, but it’s waaaaaay too short.

Hehe - imagine a guitar player on stage with that modular system instead of a classic pedalboard ... and ... that short pink cable :#

• @rs2000 said:

@mistercharlie said:
    I like that pink cable, but it’s waaaaaay too short.

Hehe - imagine a guitar player on stage with that modular system instead of a classic pedalboard ... and ... that short pink cable :#

Yeah, much prefer the compactness of dRambo and accompanying auv3’s and that pink cable?
    Well,… 🧐it’s not long enough for stage use.

• @rs2000
    Is this the kinda thing you had in mind?

The guitar effect uses approx 55 modules and the 64 step sequencer uses only 36.
    I haven’t practiced for awhile so forgive the less than stellar guitar performance.

• Nice multi-patch @Gravitas!

What I had in mind while watching Andrew Huang's video is that basically every effect demonstrated has its counterpart inside Drambo.

So if anyone likes a certain effect shown in the first video, let's set up a joint effort to build it with Drambo modules.
    Some people here just asked for ways to learn modular synthesis and this could serve as a good example.

• edited April 2022

@rs2000 said:
    Nice multi-patch @Gravitas!

Thank you.

“is that basically every effect demonstrated has its counterpart inside Drambo.”

Agreed.

So if anyone likes a certain effect shown in the first video, let's set up a joint effort to build it with Drambo modules.

Some people here just asked for ways to learn modular synthesis and this could serve as a good example.

Agreed.

• @rs2000
    In the Anthony Huang’s video around the 4:00 minute mark is a delay filter effect?
    I think that would be a good one to start off with.

• @Gravitas said:
    @rs2000
    In the Anthony Huang’s video around the 4:00 minute mark is a delay filter effect?

Yep, something like this:

• @rs2000 said:

@Gravitas said:
    @rs2000

Yep, something like this:

Yeah, I’ve had a play using the guitar sample provided.
    It sounded like this.

• Are any of these modules available on patchstorage guys? @Gravitas @rs2000

I wanna try!

@Gravitas, that one above, I can hear the drums and bass kicking in in my head! @3:00 (and of course the obligatory sax solo lol)

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    Are any of these modules available on patchstorage guys? @Gravitas @rs2000

rs2000’s is specifically for this thread.
    Hit pause on the youtube video and you’ll be able to see how it’s been put together.
    The modules themselves are in dRambo already and
    both of our projects aren’t available on Patchstorage.

@Gravitas, that one above, I can hear the drums and bass kicking in in my head! @3:00 (and of course the obligatory sax solo lol)

I could turn it into a track even though it was for example purposes only.
    Yeah, you love your sax solo’s.
    They’re your thing. 😏

• Drambo can imitate guitar pedals and doesn't require 9V batteries? I'm in.

I'd like:
    1. an expression pedal driven Wah
    2. and an ambient delay like this

@rs2000 made an excellent Drambo "Rat Distortion" a while back. Really epic tone.
    On patchstorage:

https://patchstorage.com/the-rat-distortion/

• edited April 2022

@Gravitas said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

Hit pause on the youtube video and you’ll be able to see how it’s been put together.

There’s a few collapsed sections though, where I can’t see what’s inside.

Looks like a chain of delay racks with a filter module attached to each one, all running through a mixer. And the delay feedback at the front? I might have a crack at building it if that’s all it is?

• @McD Got an expression pedal that sends MIDI CCs?

Thanks btw! :)

• @rs2000 said:
    @McD Got an expression pedal that sends MIDI CCs?

I Do!

And yes, I’ve tried your amazing RAT pedal patch!

• @Gravitas said:
    @rs2000

The guitar effect uses approx 55 modules and the 64 step sequencer uses only 36.
    I haven’t practiced for awhile so forgive the less than stellar guitar performance.

Cool jam, I have ideas for my next guitar jam. What is the difference between a gate sequencer like this and a slicer?

@Gravitas said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

The collapsed sections hide either the separate panning knobs for each delay or the delay racks themselves.
    They're all the same except that the filter frequency is different on each and the delay time is adjusted to make a similar effect as in the first video after about 4:15 - you might want to adjust the filter resonances to your taste.

• edited April 2022

@Montreal_Music said:

@Gravitas said:
    @rs2000

Cool jam, I have ideas for my next guitar jam. What is the difference between a gate sequencer like this and a slicer?

Not much, all you need to add is an amp connected via a filter to "V" from the seq. module and your gate seqencer turns into a slicer:

The filter is only there to remove the audible clicks coming from hard-switching the input signal.
    Turn the frequency up to bring them back ;)

• @rs2000 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Gravitas said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

The collapsed sections hide either the separate panning knobs for each delay or the delay racks themselves.
    They're all the same except that the filter frequency is different on each and the delay time is adjusted to make a similar effect as in the first video after about 4:15 - you might want to adjust the filter resonances to your taste.

Gotcha! This will,give me something to try in Drambo next time I’m home with my guitars, and have some free time. I’ll definitely be assigning my midi expression pedal to those filter cutoff knobs! Might even try to stick the RAT in there somewhere (maybe on just one of the delays!)

I can see how this could get interesting quick; a multi-delay/WAH/distortion/reverb effect pedal?

• @rs2000 said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@Gravitas said:
    @rs2000

Not much, all you need to add is an amp connected via a filter to "V" from the seq. module and your gate seqencer turns into a slicer:

The filter is only there to remove the audible clicks coming from hard-switching the input signal.
    Turn the frequency up to bring them back ;)

Cool trick, thank you!

@rs2000 said:

I Do!

And yes, I’ve tried your amazing RAT pedal patch!

OK, say your pedal sends MIDI on CC number 7:

The Graphic shaper is only there to let you fine tune the response curve (make sure "bipolar" is turned off).
    Play with the filter resonance to change the peaking shape or add a second filter like this , routed to the same audio input and mix the two filters with a mixer module. Using two separate filters with different resonant peak frequenciess and WAH'ing them gives you an even more dramatic effect than a classic wah pedal!

• Oh @Edward_Alexander, also try modulating the Plate Reverb "Size" knob with the CC Modulator fed by your expression pedal.

• @rs2000 said:

I have an expression pedal and a Blueboard with CC as an option. I also have an old Digitech
    Multi-FX board with a pedal that sends MIDI out. I'm sure it sends CC's by default. Hell an auto-wah that accepts a CC LFO would be fun for a lot people. Should it default to "Modulation Wheel", "Expression" or "Frequency Cutoff"?

MIDI CC List – Most Common Parameters

1 = Modulation wheel
    2 = Breath Control
    7 = Volume
    10 = Pan
    11 = Expression
    64 = Sustain Pedal (on/off)
    65 = Portamento (on/off)
    71 = Resonance (filter)
    74 = Frequency Cutoff (filter)

• @McD The key to building effects like in the Strymon Timeline is to listen closely what each of them does.
    Lo-Fi uses filters and distortion (I often use the compressor followed by a graphic shaper to dial in my own taste of distortion,
    Swell apparently uses an envelope follower with increased attack time modulating an amp level, then going into a delay rack,
    Ice sounds like multiple delays with a pitch shifter in the feedback path (use Feedback Send & Receive and better the dense reverb instead of Drambo's delay modules),
    Filter sounds like a fast modulated BPF filter cutoff added to the original signal,
    Lo-Fi II can be done in Drambo too by using a delay plus "Bit redux", "Decimator" and, if you need finer control, a chain of Scale => Quantize => Scale. Low pass filtering the effect signal is often a good idea to remove the digital harshness.

• edited April 2022

@McD About the CC: Drambo won't care! Just make sure you set the same number in the CC Modulator module. I've picked #7 because it's common in expression pedals that can't be configured.
    Add a MIDI Monitor module connected to the track's MIDI input or a dedicated MIDI in module if you need to see what's coming in.

• @rs2000 said:
    @McD The key to building effects like in the Strymon Timeline is to listen closely what each of them does.
    Lo-Fi uses filters and distortion (I often use the compressor followed by a graphic shaper to dial in my own taste of distortion,
    Swell apparently uses an envelope follower with increased attack time modulating an amp level, then going into a delay rack,
    Ice sounds like multiple delays with a pitch shifter in the feedback path (use Feedback Send & Receive and better the dense reverb instead of Drambo's delay modules),
    Filter sounds like a fast modulated BPF filter cutoff added to the original signal,
    Lo-Fi II can be done in Drambo too by using a delay plus "Bit redux", "Decimator" and, if you need finer control, a chain of Scale => Quantize => Scale. Low pass filtering the effect signal is often a good idea to remove the digital harshness.

Now this might be a reason to start learning Drambo as a "Heath Kit Pedal Lab" for the 2020's.

Making synth's with it seems crazy when I have dozens of beautiful synths to choose from and the presets just blow my mind.

But a virtual pedal board of amazing ambient spaces? That's inspiring.

A community of pedal builders? Priceless.
    Hacking and sharing and re-purposing and demo'ing.

Epic.