Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do You Worry About Your iPad/iPhone Being Hacked?

I'm curious if there are security concerns for IOS devices that we should all be aware of.
Does anyone have any knowledge in this area?

I saw a headline about Apple being the largest Tech "Regulator" and wondered if there are benefits to the tight controls Apple exerts to protect the platforms and what we can do with them.

Comments

• edited April 2022

I’m less concerned, generally, than when using most other devices.

Still, good to do the due caution thing, with basically any device that might ever connect to a network.

• I’d be more concerned with the network infrastructure being hacked than an individual’s device, unless the individual’s device is of prime target.

• There is a useful Apple document covering security features.

One benefit is that there are no known viruses affecting iOS. Also, sandboxing and permissions make it more difficult for legitimate apps to run off with your data.

• I feel much safer in general than I used to using a Windows machine, though I still am very careful and try to practice good security hygiene. I liked that on Windows I could get a more of a feel for what was happening on my machine but really it was a false sense of security given that the real nasties are normally stealthy enough not to be spotted.

I trust Apple in general more than the other available vendors and I appreciate that security fixes are usually provided for many years after a device is released. I dread to think how many CVEs my old (but not that old) Android phone is vulnerable to.

I do worry about iCloud data/infrastructure or our Apple accounts being hacked.

I will normally avoid downloading or purchasing apps which have anything listed in the "App Privacy" section of the App Store page. This includes ones which have not been updated recently meaning that this information is not available. I do not download many "free" apps as they are often the ones that request an unnecessarily large number of permissions, though if Apple were to give us more visibility of what apps are doing with the data they have access to then my stance on that might soften. I will, within reason, make exceptions for well-known brands or where the author has made it clear what the access is needed for.

I don't know how thoroughly Apple vet the apps that get put onto the store but knowing how easy it is to obfuscate code then I fully expect there are apps on there from bad actors which have been widely pushed via advertising funding and are either actively doing some level of harm without being detected, or are sleepers, waiting for an advantageous time to stop being a game for dressing up cats and turn into something more nefarious.

• edited April 2022

I pretty much only use Apple devices for music making, so not too much exposure - I'm not worried tbh.

• One of the reasons I posted this question was a scene in the series "Super Pumped" that
    shows a meeting between the then Uber CEO and Tim Cook of Apple.

Uber's application was violating Apples data protection policies at the time and Apple was close to pulling Uber's app from the App Store which would have killed the company.

Uber was geo-fencing Apple Corporate so that the app behaved differently when tested within 200 miles of Cupertino, CA.

Apple effectively operates as a regulator to protect the users of their hardware.

It made me wonder if Apple's approach to data protection and the control it has over the
    platform and developers is a net good.

I do think that the security of the platform is a benefit.

• If you connect your iDevice to the internet then you should be mindful of security. It’s not about viruses as such anymore. It’s all about patching vulnerabilities. The best practice is to update each time a security patch is released. Patch fast is the best defence these days.

And most iOS musicians are fearful of updating, unfortunately.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201222

• Obviously not. I use LOTS of bootleg movie and television sites from the former Soviet Bloc.

• Hacker probably Russian backed seemed to be trying to hijack network infrastructure.
    https://www.reuters.com/world/us-fbi-says-it-foiled-cyberattack-by-russian-hackers-2022-04-06/

• @Eugele said:
    I worry about it, and it concerns not only my iPhone but also other devices I use (PC, iPad, Firestick, etc.). That's why I use VPN. Currently, I'm using IPVanish https://firesticktricks.com/ipvanish-review.html. I like it. It gives me access to all the needed sources and protects my devices.

Most serious hacks work on application level. VPN or not makes no difference.
    As a general rule, I'd say that if you regularly update your iOS versions and avoid browsing ad-infected web sites, you've done the most important countermeasures already.

• edited September 2022

I think you’re at greater risk of your device being compromised if you hand it over to police if you’re stopped or arrested or by the TSA when you go through an airport and they confiscate your iPhone/iPad. There are several companies which sell devices to police and the Feds which are designed to copy the contents of your entire Apple device and then the ‘disk image’ is brute force attacked repeatedly until your passcode is cracked.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/exclusive-iphone-flaw-exploited-by-second-israeli-spy-firm-sources-2022-02-03/

Always use all of the security updates provided by Apple and you might even consider wiping your device when you travel if it’s a big concern, then restore from your online backup later.

When I used to travel overseas to China on business I never brought a phone or computer.

• Good points @NeuM.

• edited September 2022

A few years ago someone haked my ipad only because my password was weak, 6 letters. Fortunately i didn’t have money on my account and he just download some strategy game. From that time i have only strong passwords.

My password right now is: CantTouchThis69, and i think even google super computer can’t broke it… joke of course 😜

But seriously, maybe it’s obvious in now days, but better to have strong password.

• Only by Apple when they bring out an update…

• Not at all. I feel most concerned when using anything with Windows installed, but not so much anything else.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    Only by Apple when they bring out an update…

Why would Apple "hack" your devices? Come on now.