Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MacOS 12.3 and iPadOS 15.4 - is iDAM broken for anyone else?!?

I'm running a 2018 iPad Pro 11 and a 14" M1 Pro MBP- Just updated to the latest OS on each to try out Universal Control (which is awesome!)- but iDAM seems to be completely unusable.

I think the issue seems to be that the iPad is locked to a sample rate of 48k but the iDAM won't budge off of 44.1k, and the mismatch is resulting in a garbled crackly mess whenever I want to send audio from the iPad into MacOS. AUM won't let me change sample rate from 48k, saying "Either the hardware does not support the selected sample rate, or another application is currently controlling it." There are no other apps open.

Is anyone else having this issue? Help!!

Comments

• edited March 2022

Yes, this has been driving me nuts the last day. Took me a week to get my workstation somewhat going on an M1. So being a huge upgrade thought it might be driver issues, plugins or whatnot. Finally figured out it was idam and I have to unplug the iPad and restart M1 and I don't get the audio dropouts and crackles. Same Mac and Ios point versions you mentioned.

Has me wondering if it's UC and Idam going at the same time? Haven't had time to get to that yet.

• I had a bad feeling about 15.4 and just updated all devices to 15.3.1 and am waiting to be sure ...

• FWIW I tested with GarageBand and the issue exists there as well. So it's not an AUM bug, it's definitely something to do with Apple's new software...

• I just tested and there were no issues between iPad Pro and iMac.

• edited March 2022

Now seems to work when projects are moved to the internal drive.

• I’m getting strange behaviour, audio glitches when FL Studio is set at 48kHz, it’s fine for 44.1kHz using MacOS 12.3 M1 MacMini.

• wimwim
    edited March 2022

@knewspeak said:
    I’m getting strange behaviour, audio glitches when FL Studio is set at 48kHz, it’s fine for 44.1kHz using MacOS 12.3 M1 MacMini.

That makes sense. IDAM is locked to 44.1 kHz I think.

• I also had this issue today with my m1 mac book air and ipad pro 11' 2018.
    I thought I solved it by reconnecting the iPad but the issue reoccured after 2-3 minutes.

• wimwim
    edited March 2022

@Hannes said:
    I also had this issue today with my m1 mac book air and ipad pro 11' 2018.
    I thought I solved it by reconnecting the iPad but the issue reoccured after 2-3 minutes.

That probably has nothing to do with iOS version. I've had cables that caused those issues. I've also found it necessary to change USB ports before. Cleaning them has helped. Rebooting the Mac has helped as well.

• @wim said:

@Hannes said:

That probably has nothing to do with iOS version. I've had cables that caused those issues. I've also found it necessary to change USB ports before. Cleaning them has helped. Rebooting the Mac has helped as well.

Could be. I never had this issue before the last update though.

• @Hannes said:

@wim said:

@Hannes said:

Could be. I never had this issue before the last update though.

I guess well have to wait and see if it gets more broadly reported then.

• @Hannes said:

Sounds like we're in the same boat. Also on an M1 with 2018 iPad Pro 11. I can get it to resolve briefly by fiddling with different cables, USB ports, changing sample rate in my DAW.. The issue always seems to come back after a few minutes. I can recreate the bug in multiple DAWs both on iOS and macOS. (AUM, GarageBand, Beatmaker3, Logic, Reaper...)

• I just tested out my iDAM workflow with my iPhone instead of the iPad and had no issues. I have a hunch this is a problem related to the 2018 iPad Pro specifically.

• @factory_of_lights said:
    I just tested out my iDAM workflow with my iPhone instead of the iPad and had no issues. I have a hunch this is a problem related to the 2018 iPad Pro specifically.

I’m having issues with my iPad mini 6

• Thought I sorted this, but nope. Also, iPad Pro, 2017…

Anyone who’s had problems, have you looked in activity monitor on the Mac when this happens? Is there anything taking up extreme amounts of RAM?

• @Model10000 said:
    Thought I sorted this, but nope. Also, iPad Pro, 2017…

Anyone who’s had problems, have you looked in activity monitor on the Mac when this happens? Is there anything taking up extreme amounts of RAM?

Nope, everything for me looks normal in Activity Monitor

• About activity monitor, I’ve got a memory leak in some Firefox extension, but that doesn’t seem to be it.
    Just tried an old iPhone 7 and worked fine for 15 minutes. Seems iPad Pro 2017 and 2018…

• I did the OS update on both my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro today and am sad to report that audio over IDAM still seems messed up. It works great for about a minute or two then gradually breaks apart. After I disable and re-enable IDAM from the Audio MIDI Setup app on the Mac it's good for another two minutes or so. I tried with both AUM and Safari playing YouTube. I can get it to break up faster by just opening other apps on the iPad while AUM is playing in the background.

MacBook Pro M1 Max MacOS 12.13.1
    iPadPro 12.9" 2020 iPadOS 15.4.1

• @xor said:
    I did the OS update on both my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro today and am sad to report that audio over IDAM still seems messed up. It works great for about a minute or two then gradually breaks apart. After I disable and re-enable IDAM from the Audio MIDI Setup app on the Mac it's good for another two minutes or so. I tried with both AUM and Safari playing YouTube. I can get it to break up faster by just opening other apps on the iPad while AUM is playing in the background.

MacBook Pro M1 Max MacOS 12.13.1
    iPadPro 12.9" 2020 iPadOS 15.4.1

Yes, this is exactly the same issue I've been having. Opening other apps definitely seems to speed up the problem for me as well. Or even opening up and tweaking AUv3 plugins inside of AUM.

I called Apple support about this and the rep didn't even know what IDAM was but he said he'd try to send it up the chain of command to the devs. Hopefully somebody at Apple is aware of this issue.

• When I tested it with the update yesterday it started to crackle and get worse so I changed the sample rate in Live and then it was fine. What I can't remember is if it stayed fine only changing it once or twice.

• @factory_of_lights said:
    I called Apple support about this

Thank you for reporting to Apple. I have this also on my ToDo-list.

and the rep didn't even know what IDAM was

This is what I fear: nobody knows what it is, nobody finds it important -> nobody will fix it 🥴

• I sent the following feedback under the Logic Pro support to Apple a couple days ago; but haven’t gotten any reply:

Logic Pro Audio Glitches

Using Logic Pro 10.7.3, then 10.7.4
    For some reason, IDAM between my iPad Pro 12.9 M1 (iPadOS 15.4.1) and my MacBook Pro 15 inch, Mid 2014 (macOS 11.6.5) audio has become glitchy. As if the sample rates are mis-matched; or as if the audio is over modulating. It breaks up, and becomes unusable.

If works fine for a while; then it starts glitching. If I disable the IDAM iPad connection in Audio MIDI Setup for the iPad, then re-connect it, the audio improves for a while. It then starts breaking up.

It has worked perfectly before, I don't know if a software update to the Mac, the iPad or Logic Pro has caused the problem.

• @bsantoro said:
    I sent the following feedback under the Logic Pro support to Apple a couple days ago; but haven’t gotten any reply:

Logic Pro Audio Glitches

For some reason, IDAM between my iPad Pro 12.9 M1 (iPadOS 15.4.1) and my MacBook Pro 15 inch, Mid 2014 (macOS 11.6.5) audio has become glitchy. As if the sample rates are mis-matched; or as if the audio is over modulating. It breaks up, and becomes unusable.

If works fine for a while; then it starts glitching. If I disable the IDAM iPad connection in Audio MIDI Setup for the iPad, then re-connect it, the audio improves for a while. It then starts breaking up.

It has worked perfectly before, I don't know if a software update to the Mac, the iPad or Logic Pro has caused the problem.

Yeah, same exact story for me too.

• @bsantoro said:
    I sent the following feedback under the Logic Pro support to Apple a couple days ago; but haven’t gotten any reply:

Logic Pro Audio Glitches

I've had the issue with both Logic and Reaper, so I think Logic Pro can be ruled out as the culprit...

• edited May 2022

I talked directly to Apple support for Logic Pro, and no one ever heard of IDAM (Inter Device Audio MIDI). However, one tech had me move all the audio components out of the folder into a temporary folder on the desktop. The components folder is located: Macintosh HD, Library, Audio, Plug-Ins, Components.

After rebooting the iPad, and re-enabling IDAM, it finally worked (see *edit below). I am not getting the audio glitches in Logic Pro so far. I have slowly put back components I really want, back into the Components folder, and everything still works. You have to quit Logic Pro each time you want to move components. I had some really old components that dated back to 2006 that I just kept in an archive folder; and did not reinstall them.

*Edit: After a few days of testing, the audio glitching has been mostly eliminated. I did get some glitching when using Synthmaster 2 iOS in the stand alone mode. It has worked OK when using this synth in AUM. I think Apple still needs to fix the iPadOS when using IDAM.

• The Monterey 12.3.1 update not only introduced audio glitches using IDAM. Thanks to this update, now my entire collection of Puremagnetik effects are unusable in Bitwig. Because the same corrupted audio will appear.

It has been incredible frustrating, because since I started using a Mac in 2006, this is the first time that an update has broken things for me.

Not only that, my LG monitor was able to save the FreeSync configuration for the first time with the 12.3 update. Prior to this, and now with this damn update, the settings are forgotten every time that I turn off the screen.

Lesson learned: to always make a Time Machine backup prior to every minor update, so I have the option to revert back.

• @bsantoro said:
    I talked directly to Apple support for Logic Pro, and no one ever heard of IDAM. However, one tech had me move all the audio components out of the folder into a temporary folder on the desktop. The components folder is located: Macintosh HD, Library, Audio, Plug-Ins, Components.

After rebooting the iPad, and re-enabling IDAM, it finally worked. I am not getting the audio glitches in Logic Pro so far. I have slowly put back components I really want back into the Components folder, and everything still works. You have to quit Logic Pro each time you want to move components. I had some really old components that dated back to 2006.

Unfortunately this did not work for me. I tried using Reaper and got the same (bad) results.

• I just wanted to throw out a vote/data-point that there's something suspect concerning the sample rate of IDAM under Monterey 12.3.1. With IDAM as part of an aggregate group, I had buffering issues on an audio I/F in the aggregate group @ 44.1 Khz. When I switched to 48 kHz, all of the crackling magically disappeared! I'm happy it works, but WTF?

• Just curious if anyone has tested in the upcoming 12.4?

• Sometimes I'm happy to be on an Intel with Catalina. Every time I think about updating, I see a post like this.