Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GeoShred Questions

Comments

• @des1303 said:
    Given GeoShred's guitar origins I'm trying not to buy separate guitar voices, so:

• Is it possible to make reasonably clean bass guitar voices in GeoShred?
    • How about acoustic or electric lead, but not drowned in Fx?
    • Is there any way to share settings like the above?

On the sharing, I was able to share presets by finding the xml file and transferring it via airdrop (but xml would work on anything).

As far as modeling, you can go for the init preset which gives you just a default guitar with an amp and no FX. From there there are a ton of parameters about 99% of which I don't know :sweat_smile:

I too would love to have more guidance on how to emulate certain guitar sounds in it, if possible. I'm not knowledgeable enough at the moment to do so, but I'd like to figure out how to, say, emulate a Strat vs a Les Paul.

• edited March 2022

@des1303 said:
    Given GeoShred's guitar origins I'm trying not to buy separate guitar voices, so:

GeoShred generally does not do bass sounds well. Their app can do leads pretty well, but it takes some work on your part to get the settings right. If there were in-app purchases for bass sounds those might do the trick.

Try “iFretless Bass”.

There’s a free version: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ifretless-bass/id512929963

And they have a paid version with more options: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bass-guitar-one/id1437775064

• @AlexY said:
    On the sharing, I was able to share presets by finding the xml file and transferring it via airdrop (but xml would work on anything).

Thanks!

@moForte - would it be possible to have a GeoShred repository on patchstorage? Could be quite useful, and fairly convenient if it's just a zip of several xml file.

• @NeuM said:
    GeoShred generally does not do bass sounds well. Their app can do leads pretty well, but it takes some work on your part to get the settings right. If there were in-app purchases for bass sounds those might do the trick.

Try “iFretless Bass”.

Thanks! Done.

• @des1303 said:

@NeuM said:

Try “iFretless Bass”.

Thanks! Done.

I've used numerous iFretless apps for years. And I've gotten several of them to work on macOS as AU's also without crashing.

• @des1303 said:

IMO, GeoShred is very cool instrument, but I personally wouldn't use it for a realistic guitar (particularly clean sounds) or bass sound. For bass, iFretless bass is great.

Don't get me wrong. GeoShred is a killer instrument. I just wouldn't use it if I were trying to get a realistic guitar sound.

• edited March 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@des1303 said:

IMO, GeoShred is very cool instrument, but I personally wouldn't use it for a realistic guitar (particularly clean sounds) or bass sound. For bass, iFretless bass is great.

Don't get me wrong. GeoShred is a killer instrument. I just wouldn't use it if I were trying to get a realistic guitar sound.

This is true. I'm testing "Strum GS-2" on desktop right now and it is capable of creating remarkably realistic modeled guitars...strumming and picking, so the same basic ideas behind GeoShred and SWAM are at work here. There's really no reason why GeoShred (moForte) should not be looking into IAP versions of their own (or some other company's) simulated guitars in the future.

But if AAS (Applied Acoustics Systems) gets their modeled guitars onto iOS first, I will instantly buy.

I recommend this: https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/1446-Strum-GS-2

• It's $200 for a realistic guitar sound? I have some actual guitars around and some IOS apps
    for the electronics that cost less than that.

I want an IOS guitar app that costs <$8.99. But if it's a SWAM model I'd push it to $10 on sale.

• edited March 2022

@McD said:

It's $200 for a realistic guitar sound? I have some actual guitars around and some IOS apps
    for the electronics that cost less than that.

I want an IOS guitar app that costs <$8.99. But if it's a SWAM model I'd push it to $10 on sale.

I bought a cheapie electric acoustic guitar for about $250, but this software lets me create a realistic guitar performance I can edit, tweak and change as much as I want after the fact. And it's not just "one guitar". There are 6 banks of guitars, but with all the banks combined there are about 200 variations. I don't think you could get even 6 halfway decent guitars for $200.

• @NeuM said:
    I bought a guitar for about $200 also, but this software lets me create a realistic guitar performance I can edit, tweak and change as much as I want after the fact. And it's not just "one guitar". There are 6 banks of guitars, but for each bank there are about 200 variations. I don't think you could get even 6 halfway decent guitars for $200.

Well... too late on the 6 guitars. I used to impulse buy guitars when I found great deals.
    Still... IOS needs:

1. a good guitar modeled app
    2. or MIDI input for Yonac Steel and I'll run it through my Amp Sim purchases
  • edited March 2022

@McD said:

@NeuM said:
    I bought a guitar for about $200 also, but this software lets me create a realistic guitar performance I can edit, tweak and change as much as I want after the fact. And it's not just "one guitar". There are 6 banks of guitars, but for each bank there are about 200 variations. I don't think you could get even 6 halfway decent guitars for $200.

Well... too late on the 6 guitars. I used to impulse buy guitars when I found great deals.
    Still... IOS needs:

1. a good guitar modeled app
    2. or MIDI input for Yonac Steel and I'll run it through my Amp Sim purchases

I keep hoping Yonac is working on solving this, but I’ll take the first app do it right. Maybe Audio Modeling… Maybe moForte… Maybe Yonac.

I trust Matthias Demoucron might be the best person in the world who could solve it, but unfortunately I think he’s currently working at Sony Entertainment.

And by the way, I finally figured out how to operate the strumming function in this plugin properly. It is quite amazing. I just replaced several tracks on one of my older songs and it really punches up the mix now.

• @dobbs said:
    @moForte I started using geoshred on my iPhone 8 now but I noticed the keyboard has a very annoying dead zone in the lowest row of „keys“… only the top half of these keys are active and will trigger a note. But then if I keep the note pressed I can pull the cursor down into the dead zone so it can’t be a problem with the touch display or iOS… anybody else having this problem?

Dobbs, I have an iPhone 8 as well. Can you make a quick video for us so that we can track this down. You can send it to [email protected]

• @des1303 said:

Try creating a new guitar preset from scratch. You will see under "Menu> Guitar> Guitar> Instrument" There are 6 different modeled. Guitars. You can add add what ever effects that you like.

• @AlexY said:

@des1303 said:

As far as modeling, you can go for the init preset which gives you just a default guitar with an amp and no FX. From there there are a ton of parameters about 99% of which I don't know :sweat_smile:

I too would love to have more guidance on how to emulate certain guitar sounds in it, if possible. I'm not knowledgeable enough at the moment to do so, but I'd like to figure out how to, say, emulate a Strat vs a Les Paul.

For sharing you can simply go to "Menu> Files" select the preset and export it to your iCloud. Also you can mail it with "Menu> Share".

• @moForte said:

@dobbs said:
    @moForte I started using geoshred on my iPhone 8 now but I noticed the keyboard has a very annoying dead zone in the lowest row of „keys“… only the top half of these keys are active and will trigger a note. But then if I keep the note pressed I can pull the cursor down into the dead zone so it can’t be a problem with the touch display or iOS… anybody else having this problem?

Dobbs, I have an iPhone 8 as well. Can you make a quick video for us so that we can track this down. You can send it to [email protected]

Actually I can’t because it seems that updating to iOS 15 (or a reboot in between?) has resolved the problem :)

• @dobbs said:

@moForte said:

@dobbs said:

Actually I can’t because it seems that updating to iOS 15 (or a reboot in between?) has resolved the problem :)

I'm glad that it's resolved. Some unknown system level issue with the touch screen that Apple resolved.

• I have a GeoSax-based preset I customized some time ago and did save-as, don't remember what I did. Now I want to change it's layout, scale, tuning of strings, etc. But the Performance Settings says "Overriden by Global [...]" under Keyboard/Layout, Scale, and Tuning. I am able to change Tuning, can't figure out how to change the others.

How do I get past this? This has tripped me up before. Thanks!

• Always catches me out… go to Settings, Keyboard Layout and it will be set to Global. Change this to preset and you will be able to change it. Same for Tuning. Change them back to Global afterwards (if you want to)…

• Thanks, @GeoTony ! Those top choices look more like tabs than radio-buttons, which throws me every time.

• Is there a way to take a preset for GeoSax, and swap out just the Sax instrument with Cello, keeping everything else the same?

• @des1303 said:
    I have a GeoSax-based preset I customized some time ago and did save-as, don't remember what I did. Now I want to change it's layout, scale, tuning of strings, etc. But the Performance Settings says "Overriden by Global [...]" under Keyboard/Layout, Scale, and Tuning. I am able to change Tuning, can't figure out how to change the others.

How do I get past this? This has tripped me up before. Thanks!

You probably changed the layout or tuning globally. Go to "Menu> Settings> Keyboard" or "Menu> Settings> Scale" or "Menu> Settings> Tuning" and make sure that all of these are set to use "Preset" and not "Global".

Note that you can always drop us a note ([email protected]) with these kind of questions and we usually respond on the same day.

• @des1303 said:
    Is there a way to take a preset for GeoSax, and swap out just the Sax instrument with Cello, keeping everything else the same?

If you delete the instrument all of it's control mechanisms are left dangling and are deleted as well. Further the control mechanisms for the Sax and Cello are mostly different so its not really possible to delete the Sax and have the cello be able to use the sax growl.

That being said, all the effects processing is left unaffected. So you could add the Cello and delete the Sax and keep your effects chain.

• 2022 MIDI Innovation Awards, Vote for GeoShred!

Vote for GeoShred in Commercial Software Category! https://bit.ly/3l6ZpNb
    GeoShred 5.9 Entry: https://bit.ly/3KSdlos

We are proud that GeoShred 5.9 is a participant in the 2022 MIDI Innovation Awards competition, in the "Commercial Software Product" category.

GeoShred is an award-winning, fluidly expressive musical instrument with a performance surface that uses MIDI/MPE to control expressive physics-based models of musical instruments: Guitars, Bowed Strings, Woodwinds, and Brass. And, GeoShred is one of the most cost-effective ways to get started with an MIDI/MPE Controller and Synthesizer. There are some really great products in this category, and we would like to ask you to help us. If you like GeoShred, please consider voting. Our thanks and gratitude goes out to the GeoShred community for all your support!

• @moForte said:
    ... That being said, all the effects processing is left unaffected. So you could add the Cello and delete the Sax and keep your effects chain.

Ok, thanks

• How do I change display so A# appears as Bb?

• @des1303 said:
    How do I change display so A# appears as Bb?

Performance settings/keyboard.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@des1303 said:
    How do I change display so A# appears as Bb?

Performance settings/keyboard.

It's not quite as simple has changing A# to Bb. A# is found in the Key of B and F# (and their alternate minor keys) Bb is found in the keys of F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb (and their alternate minor keys) It really comes down to choosing a key that uses the accidentals found in the Circle of Fifths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_fifths

• @moForte

Why do some of the GeoSWAM patches feed back when you first open them? I think maybe the vowel filter is the commonality.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    @moForte

Why do some of the GeoSWAM patches feed back when you first open them? I think maybe the vowel filter is the commonality.

Yes I think that the gain on the vowel filter is initially too great. I have this on my list to look at for the next incremental update.

• @moForte said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    @moForte

Yes I think that the gain on the vowel filter is initially too great. I have this on my list to look at for the next incremental update.

They sound great though. When I put the vowel flute through a guitar amp the feedback really works. I’d hate to lose that.