Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Duplicate Midi-In-Sinal 1 octave lower in AUM

Hey guys,

Im working with AUM Mixer. I have a extern Midi keyboard, which works fine. Now I want to play a Chord with Stringpad in two octavs. Is there a possibility to 'double' the midi-in-signal one octave lower or higher and send it to the same AUM-Channel?

Would be nice to get a feedback.

cheerio,
bimfood

Comments

• You can use several available midi utilities to do that

MOZAIC scripts might be a good place to go, or you can do some of what I've tried.

Take your original midi and route it through Scalar (Bram Bos) with your key selected and the OUTPUT TRANSPOSE to 12 semitones above or below.

Then put that out put into your AUM channel. If you are using an iPad app I would recommend using a second instance of that sound source in a second channel to play the raised or lowered chord. It helps with balancing the perceived loudness of the notes (higher are often hear as louder) in the mix.

• edited March 2022

Welcome. @bimfood

Exactly what @audiblevideo said. Several options including AUM itself, also StreamByter. Here’s a pic to show you where it is in AUM. Simply click on the hamburger menu next to any audio channel and scroll down a little. I personally use Mozaic (see scripts on Patchstorage.com) or Rozeta Scaler, or AUM internal settings/bussing or multiple instances for something like this.

• There's no native way built-in to AUM, but there are many ways using other helper apps. However you mention you want to play "a chord" ... do you mean just one chord, sometimes, while the rest of your playing doesn't have the additional octave? Helper apps would generally affect all notes.

• Thanks for your answers.

I tried the Midiflow Transposer App. That works, but only when it is startet as external app. Then you can select it in the AUM Midi In Scources. .... Im looking for an AUM-insert app...

I have AUM Sessions with up to 35 Nodes. When I switch between session by loading an other one it tooks long time. So I need to reduce the Loading Time. Thats, why I want to avoid (?) to creat a duplication off the Channel an transpose it direktly with AUM onboard function. The Idea was to use some kind of "Midi Effect" to double the Midi signal.

@wim The chord I play ist on a separate AUM Channel.

@audiblevideo & @Poppadocrock Mozaic looks a little bit difficult to understand. Maby I should try it..

PS: Sorry for my bad english....

• @bimfood you dont have to MAKE patches - just use the ones others have already made.

Bram Bos works WITHIN AUM as a midi effect - unlike Midiflow Transposer. And as a bonus comes with a BUNCH of other stuff besides the Scalar app

• McDMcD
    edited March 2022

@bimfood said:
    @audiblevideo & @Poppadocrock Mozaic looks a little bit difficult to understand. Maby I should try it..

People think they will need to write the Mozaic code and they won't. There are dozens of scripts on patchstorage and a thread here to ask for such MIDI FX behaviors. This one could be done in just a few lines of Moziac script:

@OnMIDIInput
       SendMIDIOut MIDIByte1, MIDIByte2, MIDIByte3 // this is a MIDI Thru
       SendMIDIOut MIDIByte1, MIDIByte2+12, MIDIByte3 // this is a MIDI Thru + octave
    @End

MIDIByte2 is the Note so add +/- 12 to get that octave added to the stream of MIDI.

Note: You can add a 4th parameter and get a delay. Arpeggios, echos, chorus, strums can be made this way.

• @McD said:

@bimfood said:

People think they will need to write the Mozaic code and they won't. There are dozens of scripts on patchstorage and a thread here to ask for such MIDI FX behaviors. This one could be done in just a few lines of Moziac script:

@OnMIDIInput
    @End

MIDIByte2 is the Note so add +/- 12 to get that octave added to the stream of MIDI.

Note: You can add a 4th parameter and get a delay. Arpeggios, echos, chorus, strums can be made this way.

You might want to check for Note On/Off messages in this, to avoid cloning CCs, Pitch Bend, etc.

• @uncledave said:

@McD said:

@bimfood said:

@OnMIDIInput
    @End

You might want to check for Note On/Off messages in this, to avoid cloning CCs, Pitch Bend, etc.

Good point but I want the reader to learn that you can add a single number here and get a transposed output added to a MIDI Thru stream. There's also a OnMIDINote event to fix it.

@OnMIDINote
    @End

Examples that include all the extra details just confuse people. But I would add a lot of lines
    to my script: like a knob to change the transposition value or extra code to keep all notes within a scale like the Rozeta Scaler can do.

• Can’t you just send it to two locations in AUM at the same time, and use the +12-12 semitones in AUM to adjust on the audio app you want higher or lower?

Ohhh. I see, he wants one single stream of midi. I think there’s an Au inside Midi Tools that might help I forget the name of that one though.

• edited March 2022

@bimfood said:
    Thanks for your answers.

I tried the Midiflow Transposer App. That works, but only when it is startet as external app. Then you can select it in the AUM Midi In Scources. .... Im looking for an AUM-insert app...

I have AUM Sessions with up to 35 Nodes. When I switch between session by loading an other one it tooks long time. So I need to reduce the Loading Time. Thats, why I want to avoid (?) to creat a duplication off the Channel an transpose it direktly with AUM onboard function. The Idea was to use some kind of "Midi Effect" to double the Midi signal.

@wim The chord I play ist on a separate AUM Channel.

PS: Sorry for my bad english....

No code required. Over 250 midi fx apps in one, people have created tons of useful scripts on Patchstorage and the audiobus wiki. You simply download it, then share it to Mozaic and it’s loaded in. Some of the scripts are complicated and might have a slight learning curve on how to use them, but nothing with scripting if you don’t want too. I highly recommend it. I Use it in almost every session for one reason or another.

• wimwim
    edited March 2022

Here's a Mozaic script that can do what you need right out of the box: https://patchstorage.com/overlapping-note-transposer/

• wimwim
    edited March 2022

I'm pretty sure Midi Echo AU can do this as well if you set a single "echo", 0ms delay and -12 semitones for the echo.

Excerpt from the app description (emphasis added)

UI Controls exist to allow you to:

• Select the type of echo (fixed, ping pong, taper)
    • Vary the number of echoes (from 0 to 20)
    • Make echoes quieter by reducing the midi velocity
    • Define the pitch interval (semitone) of all successive echoes
    • Select the delay time between echoes either tempo sync or in mSec
    • Define the delay type (fixed, tempo, random 50, random 20)
    • Set the midi channel of echoes (1-16) so that other synths can select the echo only
    • Disable individual echoes - to allow you to play chords with a small or 0 delay
    • Set Midi thru to keep/remove the original note messages
    • Panic button to quickly turn off all notes
    • Setup control automation as all controls are AU Parameters
  • @wim said:
    Here's a Mozaic script that can do what you need right out of the box: https://patchstorage.com/overlapping-note-transposer/

Very cool @wim. The notes show you wrote this script after a request from the ever questioning @annahahn.

I just read your script and it's very well documented and supports best practices for error checking. Imagine being able to just see how problems are solved since all the code is open to study and modify.

• Thanks @McD. I remember having to jump through hoops to try to avoid stuck notes if those knobs are turned while notes are still playing. I don't know how successful I was, but hopefully for this use case there wouldn't be a lot of that going on.

• @wim said:
    Thanks @McD. I remember having to jump through hoops to try to avoid stuck notes if those knobs are turned while notes are still playing. I don't know how successful I was, but hopefully for this use case there wouldn't be a lot of that going on.

The only person that seems to make more effort to write bullet proof code might be @_ki.
    For the potential Mozaic buyer, @wim has written more scripts on request than any other
    patchstorage creator. The trick is to suggest an interesting problem to be solved with code.

Something like:

"I would like to input a note and get a shower of notes that are the musical equivalent of
    confetti... like a burst of sonic stardust."

On Desktop they call these effects "swarms"... it's a cool "ask", right?

"Shower the people you love with notes."
    "Which notes?"
    "All the pretty, shiny ones."

• edited March 2022

@wim said:
    There's no native way built-in to AUM, but there are many ways using other helper apps.

Actually there is!

Create a MIDI Bus instance in a MIDI strip in AUM.
    Tap the hamburger menu button next to the MIDI Bus and scroll down to "Transpose". Set it to -12.
    Route the MIDI Bus into your synth.
    Route your MIDI keyboard to both the MIDI Bus and your synth. Done!

• @j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:
    There's no native way built-in to AUM, but there are many ways using other helper apps.

Actually there is!

Tap the hamburger menu button next to the MIDI Bus and scroll down to "Transpose". Set it to -12.

@j_liljedahl thanks for bringing my attention to this overlooked feature. AUM is THE app that keeps me being creative

• wimwim
    edited March 2022

@j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:

Actually there is!

Oh jeez! I totally forgot about MIDI Busses!
    I had originally only briefly thought about them as a way to simplify layouts. I never saw much use for them. That's sweet!

• MIDI busses!
    Genius!

• @j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:

Actually there is!

Cheers for that. The midi bus! I forgot about that, I’ve rarely used that feature but need to explore it more.

• Lol. It seems several of us haven’t been utilizing the the midi bus feature. I see it every time I load a midi Au too. Duh. Lol.

• @wim said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:

Actually there is!

Oh jeez! I totally forgot about MIDI Busses!
    I had originally only briefly thought about them as a way to simplify layouts. I never saw much use for them. That's sweet!

They can be very handy for other things :) For example applying different MIDI filtering to different sources going into the same destination. The on/off parameter is also very useful since it tracks note states, so it hold notes until released when disabled.

And in this case, you could filter out all but the note messages as to not duplicate other stuff (CCs, pitch bend etc).

• @audiblevideo said:
    MOZAIC scripts might be a good place to go

Hell yeah! That´s a good one!

I got it!

... and copied the script from above - - it works! . . . . man - i t w o r k s ! ! !

Love it. There´s a wohle f***in universe in this thing.

Thanks to you all.

bim food

• Good thread! We all learned some things here. B)

• @wim said:

I downloaded this one. It is cool. Am I right, that I can Midi-Control the Knobs? So I can adjust Velocity, Volume and other cc´s?
    What about the Volmue? Will the Korg Module App be confused, when it gets simultanious Midi Messages with different Volume-CCs?

I need to learn how the scripting works, to do my own things...

• wimwim
    edited March 2022

@bimfood said:

@wim said:

I downloaded this one. It is cool. Am I right, that I can Midi-Control the Knobs? So I can adjust Velocity, Volume and other cc´s?
    What about the Volmue? Will the Korg Module App be confused, when it gets simultanious Midi Messages with different Volume-CCs?

Yes, you can midi control Mozaic's knobs. I assume your questions are about Mozaic in general, rather than about this particular script.

You can use Mozaic to send any CC from the knobs, and you can adjust note velocity. Volume is a different matter. Volume isn't generally directly controlled with Midi (though there are some apps that do respond to the "volume" midi CC 7). You can use midi CC's to adjust the volume knob of a synth or, say, an AUM fader.

For scripting it's important to understand the different midi messages and what they do. For instance, velocity, isn't a message type, it's part of the note-on message type. So, to adjust note velocity, you have to alter the third byte of the note message when you send it. Fortunately the Mozaic manual has a section that does a great job explaining much of this.

I need to learn how the scripting works, to do my own things...

I'm betting you'll have a great time.

Not to confuse things too much, but Streambyter is another really helpful tool that can do some things with much less code than Mozaic. I prefer Mozaic, but there are certain things that can be done in one or two lines of code in Streambyter that would take a more in Mozaic. It's free. And even if you don't use it for coding, it has a helpful midi monitor in it.

• @wim

I use the Overlapping Note Transposer. In AUM I dedicated the lower Part of my Keyboard (notes 1-56) to the Mozaik MIDI Channel. When I transpose the signal it seems that the tool does the transposing by moving the Keybed-Partition.

So in the Upper part of the keybed there is no duplicated sound.

How will I get the Transposition about the whole dedicated keybed part?

• wimwim
    edited April 2022

@bimfood said:
    @wim

I use the Overlapping Note Transposer. In AUM I dedicated the lower Part of my Keyboard (notes 1-56) to the Mozaik MIDI Channel. When I transpose the signal it seems that the tool does the transposing by moving the Keybed-Partition.

So in the Upper part of the keybed there is no duplicated sound.

How will I get the Transposition about the whole dedicated keybed part?

I'm confused. You shouldn't do anything at all with AUM's note range. I also don't understand what you mean by "moving the Keybed-Partition".

The way the plugin works is you send your entire keyboard range to it, then you set the app you're playing to listen to Mozaic, not your keyboard. Is that how you have it set up?

Also, did you notice the note from the AUM developer concerning how you can do this without needing this script at all? Or does that solution not do what you need it to?

• edited April 2022

I want to play 2 Octaves by pressing 1 Note.

I configured ist in AUM as you said. And I set in AUM the settings of the mozaic Channel to a note range from 0 to ~ 56, because I Need to split the Keyboard

Then the Transposition (+12) works only from note no. 44 downwards. The notes between 45-56 will only play the Original note but will Not put the transposed one on top

• @bimfood said:
    I want to play 2 Octaves by pressing 1 Note.

I configured ist in AUM as you said. And I set in AUM the settings of the mozaic Channel to a note range from 0 to ~ 56, because I Need to split the Keyboard

Sorry. I still don't get what you're doing. Why do you need to split the keyboard?

If you're limiting the note range going into Mozaic through the AUM channel settings, then notes outside that range are not going into Mozaic at all, so it's impossible for the plugin to process them. If the notes outside of that range are playing something, they they must be routed directly to that something.

Then the Transposition (+12) works only from note no. 44 downwards. The notes between 45-56 will only play the Original note but will Not put the transposed one on top

Yes, this is expected. In order to be transposed, the notes have to be passed through the plugin. They have to first go to the plugin, then be passed out of it transposed.

It might be a good idea if you can post screenshots of:

• The Mozaic plugin.
    • The AUM channel settings for the Mozaic plugin
    • The AUM routing matrix

I'll be away from the computer for a few hours, but will respond later if my explanation above doesn't help sort it out.