Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro is here!

Comments

• @vmullot said:
    Hi @michael ,

Wishlist:

Having a window for changing colors on the fly accessible in one gesture: maybe slide to the right = edit window page for exemple.

Alternatively could be midi mapping possibility of editing page "pencil shortcut" and editing "white bottom bar"...

is that clear :# :/ :p ?!?!?

Did you know that you can change a track’s color by flicking up to get the track overview popup in which there is a popup to change the track color?

• Hi,
    do you know if loopy pro has added midi control for AuV3’s?
    Like in AUM where you can add bindings for all the Loaded apps parameters

• wimwim
    edited February 2022

@_smund said:
    Hi,

Only FX. Not instruments yet.
    It's on the roadmap.

• edited February 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@vmullot said:
    Hi @michael ,

Wishlist:

Having a window for changing colors on the fly accessible in one gesture: maybe slide to the right = edit window page for exemple.

Alternatively could be midi mapping possibility of editing page "pencil shortcut" and editing "white bottom bar"...

is that clear :# :/ :p ?!?!?

Did you know that you can change a track’s color by flicking up to get the track overview popup in which there is a popup to change the track color?

No I didn't! Not as straight forward as my proposal but that helps a lot thanks!

• @wim said:

@_smund said:
    Hi,

Only FX. Not instruments yet.
    It's on the roadmap.

And coming in the next version

• @Michael
    Major woop woop

• Hi again why no midi control on record buton?

• edited February 2022

@espiegel123 Do you know of a MIDI routing app that works on iPhone? I have the MIDI Route app for my iPad and it works to route MIDI back into Loopy as described in the Wiki, but it does not appear to be compatible with iPhone. I've got a ton of apps that do work on iPhone (I do NOT have miRack) but I haven't found one that loops the MIDI back into Loopy Pro via the Virtual MIDI in. Any bright ideas?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @espiegel123 Do you know of a MIDI routing app that works on iPhone? I have the MIDI Route app for my iPad and it works to route MIDI back into Loopy as described in the Wiki, but it does not appear to be compatible with iPhone. I've got a ton of apps that do work on iPhone (I do NOT have miRack) but I haven't found one that loops the MIDI back into Loopy Pro via the Virtual MIDI in. Any bright ideas?

miRack is the only AU I know of though there may be others I don’t know of. But these apps could loop it back: audiobus3, AUM, MidiFire, freewi (which is free)

• @espiegel123 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

miRack is the only AU I know of though there may be others I don’t know of. But these apps could loop it back: audiobus3, AUM, MidiFire, freewi (which is free)

OK, thanks.

• I’m wondering how MIDI record will be, I like to use iOS apps for playing a hardware bass synth I have..
    would I load up a AuV3 to record notes directly into the loops,
    Or perhaps run a Midi sequensing AuV3 in tandem with the loops?

If I like the flow of making basslines using Modstep maybe I will be better off just running it next to loopy? Maybe not, as i’ll have to change it’s sequence alot to fit how I build the song in Loopy..
    I think nothing will beat Loopy for Comping and song building so maybe having a AuV3 sequencer in there wouldent be a bad idea.

I’m planning for an ableton style workflow, but curious how I would implement a virual MIDI controller some apps are better for making basslines,,

You guys that are familiar with the workflow,
    Do you have any tips for my bassline building needs?

• wimwim
    edited March 2022

@_smund said:
    I’m wondering how MIDI record will be, I like to use iOS apps for playing a hardware bass synth I have..

If I like the flow of making basslines using Modstep maybe I will be better off just running it next to loopy? Maybe not, as i’ll have to change it’s sequence alot to fit how I build the song in Loopy..
    I think nothing will beat Loopy for Comping and song building so maybe having a AuV3 sequencer in there wouldent be a bad idea.

I’m planning for an ableton style workflow, but curious how I would implement a virual MIDI controller some apps are better for making basslines,,

Just throwing LK or Atom2 in to Loopy is sufficient for me until full midi looping is available. Using "dummy" loops with actions to trigger LK clips seems like a reasonable way to go, though I haven't worked much with that.

That said, the more I work with Loopy, the less inclined I am to deal with midi loops. I'm discovering far more freedom by just grabbing the audio and moving on. When I have midi sitting there it's constantly calling me back to tweak and "perfect" rather than to finish and create. On the other hand, I don't work with external hardware, so that's sort of a different story.

• @wim said:

@_smund said:
    I’m wondering how MIDI record will be, I like to use iOS apps for playing a hardware bass synth I have..

Just throwing LK or Atom2 in to Loopy is sufficient for me until full midi looping is available. Using "dummy" loops with actions to trigger LK clips seems like a reasonable way to go, though I haven't worked much with that.

That said, the more I work with Loopy, the less inclined I am to deal with midi loops. I'm discovering far more freedom by just grabbing the audio and moving on. When I have midi sitting there it's constantly calling me back to tweak and "perfect" rather than to finish and create. On the other hand, I don't work with external hardware, so that's sort of a different story.

☝️ agreed. Sure, if it’s midi you can “fix it later”, but you can also screw it up. If you like it, commit to it and move on. It’s liberating,
    I do keep the instruments in the very handy “idle” mode, cos I’m not fully liberated and havent freed from the panic of not being able to go back, or add a new part with the same sound.

• @tahiche said:

@wim said:

@_smund said:

☝️ agreed. Sure, if it’s midi you can “fix it later”, but you can also screw it up. If you like it, commit to it and move on. It’s liberating,
    I do keep the instruments in the very handy “idle” mode, cos I’m not fully liberated and havent freed from the panic of not being able to go back, or add a new part with the same sound.

For me, the idle mode is the single best feature of Loopy Pro from a songwriting perspective. I just keep a saved project I use as a template, with all the auv3s, and midi connections I regularly use. Every time I open up to play, it’s all right there, and literally one click on the instrument I want to use briefly before idling it again to save cpu. This feature makes Loopy Pro the most immediate place to start jamming with an assortment of Auv3s.

• edited March 2022

@tahiche said:

@wim said:

@_smund said:

Although I’m pursuing the midi daw stuff in Loopy, I do completely agree that it’s great to commit to audio as soon as you can.

The main reason for me wanting to keep the midi is to be able to automate synth and audio AU properties as part of the song arrangement. I suppose you could re-record a new bit with the automation ‘played’ into the audio loop, but I’m not good enough for that yet.

Still, nice to have the best of both worlds.

• @tahiche @wim Mesa agree with yousa! I likesa to Jamsa and move on.
    This is de way.
    But it is for playing an external hardware synth l need to record my melodies

I guess I want to have some nice virtual midi keys and sequencing options be able to record midi into the loops themselves—> This way I can also use the launchpad method for building songs in loopy without having to faff around changing pattern sequences on a AuV3 to match loopy

I guess I can try to make some melodies in Atom and record them to the loops. I’ll look at helium again,
    But I bet! I bet I will get stuck using modstep to make basslines and record them over to loopy step by step.

Do you any-happen to know a AuV3 that does what Modstep does? I just want something to jam basslines, to combine them and hone maybe a longer melody before recording it.

• wimwim
    edited March 2022

@_smund said:
    @tahiche @wim Mesa agree with yousa! I likesa to Jamsa and move on.
    This is de way.
    But it is for playing an external hardware synth l need to record my melodies

I guess I want to have some nice virtual midi keys and sequencing options be able to record midi into the loops themselves—> This way I can also use the launchpad method for building songs in loopy without having to faff around changing pattern sequences on a AuV3 to match loopy

Recording midi to loops is coming at some point, but most likely not real soon, so workaround with Modstep, LK, Drambo, Atom2, Helium, etc. is your only option for now.

I guess I can try to make some melodies in Atom and record them to the loops. I’ll look at helium again,
    But I bet! I bet I will get stuck using modstep to make basslines and record them over to loopy step by step.

There's nothing wrong with sticking with Modstep. If you want to not have to switch apps all the time then one of the above apps is worth looking at.

Do you any-happen to know a AuV3 that does what Modstep does? I just want something to jam basslines, to combine them and hone maybe a longer melody before recording it.

LK comes the closest IMO.

• Probably a dumb question but I cannot figure this out, so hopefully some of you deep into this can help:

Q1> If I ‘twist’ a loop out of time, is there a way (not using ‘undo’) to get it to ‘snap back to zero’?

And two related questions:
    Q2> are there actions that I can midi-map to allow me to ‘twist’ loops and snap them back?
    Q3> is there any way to ‘quantise’ the twisting so that I can twist by beat/bar/whatever?

Many thanks @michael for a really remarkable bit of software.

• @rens said:
    Probably a dumb question but I cannot figure this out, so hopefully some of you deep into this can help:

Q1> If I ‘twist’ a loop out of time, is there a way (not using ‘undo’) to get it to ‘snap back to zero’?

And two related questions:
    Q2> are there actions that I can midi-map to allow me to ‘twist’ loops and snap them back?
    Q3> is there any way to ‘quantise’ the twisting so that I can twist by beat/bar/whatever?

Many thanks @michael for a really remarkable bit of software.

None of those features are in LP at the moment. Hopefully, at some point.

• OK, thanks for the quick answer @espiegel123 . Would be really helpful...its not really functional if you cannot 'snap back' tbh.

While I am on a roll with questions...

• How does one engage with the roadmap conversation, for instance to try to get support for those three 'twist' features?
    • with the current LP, launchpad pro mk3 is working really well but LP mini is very unreliable...sometimes the session maps and sometimes it does not. Is that known/expected behaviour?
    • another idiot question but I cannot figure it out from RFM: say I host an app like Model D as an AU instrument...is there any way to send the midi from the LP Note mode in so I can play the instrument? I know mapping is only available for effects, but I'm just interested in note on/off, etc.
  • @rens said:
    OK, thanks for the quick answer @espiegel123 . Would be really helpful...its not really functional if you cannot 'snap back' tbh.

While I am on a roll with questions...

• How does one engage with the roadmap conversation, for instance to try to get support for those three 'twist' features?
    • with the current LP, launchpad pro mk3 is working really well but LP mini is very unreliable...sometimes the session maps and sometimes it does not. Is that known/expected behaviour?
    • another idiot question but I cannot figure it out from RFM: say I host an app like Model D as an AU instrument...is there any way to send the midi from the LP Note mode in so I can play the instrument? I know mapping is only available for effects, but I'm just interested in note on/off, etc.

If you go to the roadmap, there is a link to request additions. Michael periodically reviews them and adds them to the public list or note.

If you have trouble with the the launchpad and it is a supported model, report details to @Michael.

AU instrument parameters where made accessible in the most recent Loopy Pro release. If you spot a reference to that not being the case on the wiki, perhaps you could fix it.

To route midi from the LP, you add it as a MIDI Device to the mixer and set the AU as its destination.

• @espiegel123 said:
    To route midi from the LP, you add it as a MIDI Device to the mixer and set the AU as its destination.

wicked; that was it. Thanks for that, and the other stuff too.

• I added my proposal for imrpvemetns to twist/offset to the ideas tab: I humbly submit it to this community in case you want to upvote it.

https://app.loopedin.io/loopy-pro?idea=623e17b82783a3002ad5ad68#/ideas

• @espiegel123
    You have been a great help to lots of people on here and on slack
    Just wanted to give you a shout out as you deserve it

• Agreed! @espiegel123 is most definitively MVP. Should be on payroll 😄

• Hey folks, just wondering if reversing loops is now possible?

• Not yet but listed as “up next” in the roadmap
    https://app.loopedin.io/loopy-pro#/roadmap

• @hightunnels said:
    Not yet but listed as “up next” in the roadmap
    https://app.loopedin.io/loopy-pro#/roadmap

Good to know, hope it comes soon, definitely something I’m looking forward to.