Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Latency between iPad an Mac, with iConnect, iDAM etc

How do you all handle the latency between the iPad and a Mac, when connected via iDAM or an iConnect device? I'm using an iConnectMIDI2+ to send audio out from Ableton, using AUM and various AUs as send effects.

The problem is round-trip latency. I'm getting quite a bit. Part of this is down to having to use an aggregate audio device. The iCM2 has only 2+2 channels at 24 bit, so I need to use it in aggregate with another audio interface to hear anything through my speakers.

It actually seems better to send the audio out of my regular interface's analog outs, round-trip it through an Eventide H9, and then bring it back in though another analog channel. There's almost no latency this way.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

Comments

• Hmm that seems convoluted for what you are trying to achieve?

I usually just stick to airdrops for processing audio with iOS.

• But then you can't play along. For instance, I might want to process my live guitar, or tweak a track as I listen to it in context with a song.

• @mistercharlie said:
    But then you can't play along. For instance, I might want to process my live guitar, or tweak a track as I listen to it in context with a song.

Live (using two interfaces) I go instrument>interface input>iOS>Interface output>second interface>Mac and direct monitor.

For pre recorded I would just bounce the track and the master track so I can airdrop them and process in context.

Neither are ideal but if latency is a problem they are the best solutions I know of.

• I'm leaning towards a similar solution, but one of the main features of the iConnects is the hardware loopback, which is zero latency.

The latency comes when I try to combine the iConnect with another interface just to hear it!

I guess it only works for my purpose if the iConnect has its own analog output to speakers/headphones. Which means the iConnectAudio4+, but I really don't like that one.

• @mistercharlie said:
    How do you all handle the latency between the iPad and a Mac, when connected via iDAM or an iConnect device? I'm using an iConnectMIDI2+ to send audio out from Ableton, using AUM and various AUs as send effects.

The problem is round-trip latency. I'm getting quite a bit. Part of this is down to having to use an aggregate audio device. The iCM2 has only 2+2 channels at 24 bit, so I need to use it in aggregate with another audio interface to hear anything through my speakers.

It actually seems better to send the audio out of my regular interface's analog outs, round-trip it through an Eventide H9, and then bring it back in though another analog channel. There's almost no latency this way.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

Have you measured the round-trip latency? How much is it? With StudioMux, I get roundtrip latency (mac to ipad back to mac) of 20-25 ms with my iPad 6 and 2017 macbook air.

• If I only use an iConnect, it’s minimal. But the problem is when I use it in aggregate. It’s really long, like a quarter or half second. I shall measure it.

• @mistercharlie said:
    If I only use an iConnect, it’s minimal. But the problem is when I use it in aggregate. It’s really long, like a quarter or half second. I shall measure it.

Do you have the sample rates of both the audio interface and the iConnect running the same in the aggregate device? Having to do SRC on one of them would add a little bit of latency both ways. It shouldn't add up to 250ms though.

I've used the setup you describe in the past and didn't notice any significant latency issues. It's been awhile though and I don't have my iConnect setup for my iPad right now. Could be that something has gone wonky in the newer macOS versions.

• @NeonSilicon said:

Do you have the sample rates of both the audio interface and the iConnect running the same in the aggregate device? Having to do SRC on one of them would add a little bit of latency both ways. It shouldn't add up to 250ms though.

Sample rates match.

I've used the setup you describe in the past and didn't notice any significant latency issues. It's been awhile though and I don't have my iConnect setup for my iPad right now. Could be that something has gone wonky in the newer macOS versions.

I should try it with Audio Midi Setup instead of Loopback, although I do much prefer the Loopback software.

Right now I’m just using my H9 pedal instead, which works great as an external effect in Ableton.

• @mistercharlie : aggregate devices have always been hit-and-miss in performance. The specific io devices matter. Some play well together, others not so much.

• edited March 2022

FWIW, i've had nothing but headaches in the past using iconnect stuff in aggregate scenarios. Ive really had nothign but headaches w/ iconnect stuff in general, but i got rid of most of that stuff a while ago due to issues (using mostly midi4+ w/ the old school proprietary lightning cables). I might be picking up a mioXL soon, although im trying hard to find another RTP midi solution.....any suggestions would be welcome here ;)
    (preferably in 19" rack format)

• I make a direct connection between iMac and iPad Pro with a USB-C to Lightning cable. No lag.

• @NeuM said:
    I make a direct connection between iMac and iPad Pro with a USB-C to Lightning cable. No lag.

if that was geared towards me, i have 5pin DIN devices that need to be incorperated.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@NeuM said:
    I make a direct connection between iMac and iPad Pro with a USB-C to Lightning cable. No lag.

if that was geared towards me, i have 5pin DIN devices that need to be incorperated.

Hmm. That’s a tough one.

• edited March 2022

@NeuM said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@NeuM said:

Hmm. That’s a tough one.

just looking to stay away from the iconnect stuff. theres some smaller interfaces (too few ports), but most are odd brands that no one i know has used, or they 10/100 rj45's. Not that that really is an issue for RTP midi, but i just refuse to buy anything not gigabit in this day and age ( and considering im 95% of the way to a 10g network [i know im not finding a 10g midi interface..] ). If i got reports that one of these other non-iconnect work well, I might make an exception.

The thought of going back to auricle or the older iconnect software makes my skin crawl

• @NeuM said:

It's one way only though isn't it?

• Anyone tried Sonobus for this?

I'd guess the latency wouldn't be the best, but maybe I'm wrong.

• edited March 2022

ive used sonobus to send audio wirelessly to loopy pro. was fun walking around wireless and looping. latency and offset compensation was a absolute joke, lol.
    One of those "lets try it because we can even tho its 10000% unfeasible to use IRL" moments.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    ive used sonobus to send audio wirelessly to loopy pro. was fun walking around wireless and looping. latency and offset compensation was a absolute joke, lol

WiFi is inherently problematic. A wired Ethernet works much better. With my setup roundtrip latency with Sonobus was on the order of 50 ms.

• edited March 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    ive used sonobus to send audio wirelessly to loopy pro. was fun walking around wireless and looping. latency and offset compensation was a absolute joke, lol

WiFi is inherently problematic. A wired Ethernet works much better. With my setup roundtrip latency with Sonobus was on the order of 50 ms.

yep. about 50-70ms is where i was at. but with offsets i had it synced. And that is on a dedicated LAN/WLAN with only 2 devices (mac and ipad) less than 10' from a AX access point (getting a solid 475-500MB/sec throughput via iperf).

One a side note, about to try some QoS/traffic shaping to see if i can resolve the last bit of midi latency.

• @cian said:

@NeuM said:

I wish it went in both directions. That would really be the best option.

I should probably learn from experience and stop trying to connect anything together, digital-audio wise. It’s always a headache.

• @mistercharlie said:

@cian said:

@NeuM said:

I should probably learn from experience and stop trying to connect anything together, digital-audio wise. It’s always a headache.

Yeah that’s where I landed. I should try Studiomux again but it was too buggy last time (years ago.)

• @cian said:
    Anyone tried Sonobus for this?

It's bad (over ethernet)
    Generally to keep the latency minimal ,both ipad and pc/mac should run on lowest (same) buffer and same sample rate

@BroCoast said:

@mistercharlie said:

@cian said:

@NeuM said:

Yeah that’s where I landed. I should try Studiomux again but it was too buggy last time (years ago.)

Now it's completely trash with the latest updates

• @Korakios said:

@cian said:
    Anyone tried Sonobus for this?

It's bad (over ethernet)
    Generally to keep the latency minimal ,both ipad and pc/mac should run on lowest (same) buffer and same sample rate

@BroCoast said:

@mistercharlie said:

@cian said:

@NeuM said:

Now it's completely trash with the latest updates

I don't find StudioMux to be trash -- at least not with a wired connection. It works pretty well -- but just use the StudioMux app for piping the audio back and forth to AUM or other host. The StudioMux app is not a great host.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I don't find StudioMux to be trash -- at least not with a wired connection. It works pretty well -- but just use the StudioMux app for piping the audio back and forth to AUM or other host. The StudioMux app is not a great host.

For me it used to work until v4 ,
    now it's completely unstable , the server (on windows 10) crash randomly and most times the VST takes Reaper down .
    There is no support , the forum is useless and you reminded me to give 1 star rating , thanks !

• edited March 2022

@korakios Are you using the beta? The one in the store is hot garbage. Beta has been working phenomenal for me. 0 issues w/ studiomux 5. (no one in their right mind uses v4)

Maybe its a windows server thing? Im pretty sure the windows server get less dev time than any other part of the project.

• edited March 2022

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    @korakios Are you using the beta? The one in the store is hot garbage. Beta has been working phenomenal for me.

I'll try the beta , thanks :)
    Edit , can't try the beta , I get an error that devs don't accept new testers for this version .
    Thanks anyway !

• its 100x greater than a night and day difference between 4 and 5.
    all of that "lets see if we can loop wirelessly" i was talking up there was the beta.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    its 100x greater than a night and day difference between 4 and 5.
    all of that "lets see if we can loop wirelessly" i was talking up there was the beta.

I've edited my post , unfortunately I can't try the beta.
    Generally I don't mind if there are issues with an app ,as long as devs are interested in fixing the bugs .

• @Korakios said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

Generally I don't mind if there are issues with an app ,as long as devs are interested in fixing the bugs .

If its closed/not accepting, just ask the dev if you can join still. I think its just open enrollment is closed.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@Korakios said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

If its closed/not accepting, just ask the dev if you can join still. I think its just open enrollment is closed.

You mean on the zerodebug forum ? I'll try but I don't think I'll get any response .