Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Connect iPad and MacbookAir to Control Ableton via AUM (Wifi)

Hi!
I have the following problem:
I would like to control Ableton Live Lite 11 on my MacBook Air (M1) via wifi-network (session 1) on different MIDI channels with my iPad (2020, ios 15.3) using different sequencers from AUM.
I can connect the two devices together with no problems. But regardless of whether I connect it via network or Lightning/USB, Ableton can only receive on MIDI channel 1 (on the network channel).
If I change the channel filter in a MIDI instance of AUM or switch it off completely, a signal still always comes on MIDI channel 1 in Ableton.
Does anyone have an idea how I can control AUM Ableton on different MIDI channels via network (or USB if necessary)?

Comments

• @banalytic said:
    Hi!
    I would like to control Ableton Live Lite 11 on my MacBook Air (M1) via wifi-network (session 1) on different MIDI channels with my iPad (2020, ios 15.3) using different sequencers from AUM.
    I can connect the two devices together with no problems. But regardless of whether I connect it via network or Lightning/USB, Ableton can only receive on MIDI channel 1 (on the network channel).
    If I change the channel filter in a MIDI instance of AUM or switch it off completely, a signal still always comes on MIDI channel 1 in Ableton.
    Does anyone have an idea how I can control AUM Ableton on different MIDI channels via network (or USB if necessary)?

Have you checked with a midi monitor in the ipad to be sure that the midi being sent is on different channels?

Also, be forewarned that MIDI over wifi can have changing and unpredictable latency.

• no, any recommendation for a free midi-monitor? 🙄

• @banalytic said:
    Hi!

I am able to send from AUM to Ableton Live Lite 11 via wifi-network session on individual channels without any issue. When you say Lightning/USB, I assume you mean via iDAM? That works for me too.

It sounds like whatever you think is sending on multiple channels in AUM isn't really. As a simple test, you can try sending the AUM keyboard out over network session, then changing channels on it using the wrench icon.

Checking the output from the sending app or controller to verify the channel is what you think it is should help as well.

Network Session over wifi can really suck even over a healthy wifi network. Bluetooth is much better for over the air connection in my experience if it can be used instead.

• tried it with midi scope… i have snake bud on a midi channel in aum.
    Regardless of whether I switch off all channels or select channel 6, for example, the Midi Scope always shows that channel 1 is being sent.
    Are there any settings in AUM?

• yes. I mean iDAM, also there I only can send from channel 1 out of AUM…

• wimwim
    edited March 2022

I am able to send from Snake Bud on any channel I choose.

My Test:

1. Add Snake Bud to a midi channel.
    2. Tap the gear icon in Snake Bud and change the channel
    3. Establish the network session and route Snake Bud to it
    4. Add Streambyter to monitor midi and route Snake Bud to it.
    5. Add MidiPipe on the Mac to monitor network session
    6. Start Ableton and set channel to receive network session on the Snake Bud channel.
    7. Everything works as expected.
    8. Repeated with a few other channels.

You're setting the channel in the Snake Bud app's settings, not somewhere else, right?

• that was my mistake! thanks. ☺️
    I only set the midi-channel in AUM and not directly in the APP! now its working.
    okay latence is not too good.
    question. how is it possible to connect AUM and Ableton via Bluetooth-MIDI?!
    In Macbook MIDI Studio the iPad is not available as Bluetooth-MIDI gear...

• Just to clarify here, the MIDI Channel you set in AUM is a filter for MIDI inputs routed to the app on which you make the selection. It removes input messages on the channels not selected. It does not change or set a channel in any way.

For Bluetooth, you need to enable it in the AUM routing matrix, upper left.

• edited March 2022

@banalytic said:
    that was my mistake! thanks. ☺️
    I only set the midi-channel in AUM and not directly in the APP! now its working.

I recommend you connect the iPad to your computer using a USB-C cable, then turn on MIDI signal from the iPad using Apple's "Audio MIDI Setup" application, which comes with macOS (it's not an iOS app, just on the desktop). Playing with no lag is only possible with a direct cable connection.

• wimwim
    edited March 2022

@banalytic said:
    that was my mistake! thanks. ☺️

You'll need to go to AUM Settings > Bluetooth MIDI > Peripheral and turn on Advertise MIDI Service. Then it will show up on the MacBook MIDI Studio. I find BLE Midi fast enough for my purposes, but if not there's also iDAM, which should work now that you have the MIDI channels sorted out.

• hm… this doesn’t work… it’s strange. when I activate bluetooth midi in aum nothing is shown up in the midi studio of the macbook air. just searching for midi- blue tooth gear. bluetooth is activated on iPad and Macbook… any ideas?!

• problem solved! forget to activate bluetooth for AUM in the app-settings 🤪
    works great as expected. coming from windows I really love the workflow on Apple-Devices!
    thanks for your help!