Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Questions about battery usage (Solved, I think)

I’m curious why my iPad Pro2 loses approx 8% battery per day when not in use. I have background apps turned off. Do photos drain power? Is this just normal usage? Thanks!

Comments

• This is while not plugged in, right? I noticed this issue in all my iPads until the 2021 iPad Pro. I believe it is a combination of wifi pings, bluetooth, and iCloud activities. For whatever reason my 2021 iPad Pro doesn't do this.

• @LinearLineman said:
    I’m curious why my iPad Pro2 loses approx 8% battery per day when not in use. I have background apps turned off. Do photos drain power? Is this just normal usage? Thanks!

All kinds of stuff goes on in the background. Just look at how many apps are allowed to refresh in the background (iOS Settings > General > Background App Refresh). Any of those can be phoning home looking for and updating content. Email is waking up all the time to refresh. Apps like Dropbox and iCloud are frequently checking for updates. Apps are getting "push" notifications, the App Store is checking for app updates. I you have automatic updates enabled it's downloading and installing them if you have that enabled. iOS is checking for updates whether you want it to or not. Bluetooth and WiFi radios are running and consuming power ... And yes, photos drain power if you have iCloud enabled for photos.

Turning off wifi and Bluetooth will help, but not completely eliminate background activity.

• My mini does this, and my iPhone mini. My 2018 Pro does not. It can stay at 100% all night. Same with some older phones.

I wonder if it’s something to do with cellular?

• @LinearLineman said:

I don't think this should be happening. If you look in Settings–>Battery, you can see the activity hour by hour (when you select Last 24 hours). Tap on the graph bar for a given hour to see the apps running at that time. You may have enabled something that requires frequent update checks, like push notifications

• Never forget that iOS always has the potential to leave behind ghost processes from any IAA capable app, even sometimes when closed cleanly.

• Thanks, guys, that’s interesting info so far. I will shut down the Wi-Fi and see how that affects things. I have background off. I turned auto update off a while back.

• My two iPads (Pro 2017 and Mini 5) are both really good at retaining charge when asleep, I think they lose only 1 or 2% per day.

My iPhone SE 2, on the other hand, loses around 10% over 24 hours even when it's not used at all. I haven't been able to figure out the problem with the iPhone SE 2; it happens even without a SIM card and when I've got wifi disabled. No app activity is shown in settings, but graph of battery life goes down 8 to 10% a day.

• Nowadays the newest systems are allways busy tracking airtags and iphones that might be missing. Realy noticeable with older iphones losing their charge more quickly.

• @Alfred said:
    Realy noticeable with older iphones losing their charge more quickly.

It’s more likely to be the old batteries in those older phones.

• I turned off the Wi-Fi last night. No difference. Battery drained around 3% in five hours.

• edited March 2022

@LinearLineman said:
    I turned off the Wi-Fi last night. No difference. Battery drained around 3% in five hours.

Please check your Battery data to see if it shows anything running overnight. If it does not, you definitely need to restart (power off then on).

Edit: And turning off WiFi does not stop apps from waking up and trying to reach the internet. They might even try harder since they keep getting errors. You'll save the battery for the WiFi radio, but maybe not for the CPU.

• Thanks @uncledave. I’ll do that!

• edited March 2022

This new airtag search function turns on bluetooth by itself. Even when you turned it off.
    On my new mini it is hardly noticeable, but on my iphone se 1st gen with a new battery it is very noticeable. It is happening since ios 15.

• edited March 2022

• If you do not want siri listening to your conversations, i found that even when you turn off siri, there is this learning function for siri still sending keywords to apple. You will find those keywords coming up in your youtube suggestions. There is this setting in iCloud where you can turn off siri sending its learning data to apple. Wonder if it realy stops listening then...

• @Alfred, I think you nailed it. After laboriously turning off the Siri search for every app the battery drain has diminished. Thanks for the answer!

• I guess that time for me to get a new iPad is getting closer day by day...

• @Samu Ifixit has a replacement battery for 50 EU. The local phone repair shop would charge 200 EU.
    My swolen battery has allready opened my Air2.