Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wotja 22 - Generative Music App & Plug-in Host (Free, Pro; AUv3 / VST3)

Comments

• @looperboy said:
    What is the best way to control when a generator starts? Say you are using a few Ambient generators, each playing a single note, one is 6 seconds long, one is 9 seconds long etc (mimicking tape loops). How can you offset the start points? Is the best way to set up a mix with silent cells of different lengths at the beginning? (Can that even be done?) Or do you just have to start them all together and wait til they go out of sync?

Is it Reich type phase variation you're looking for?

You can't do things like that exactly in Wotja (because generative) but there are some techniques you can try that could be described as inspired by Reich.

As Tim as said, with ambient voices you can tie down most of their parameters to give fairly constant values. So if you have one voice that plays on say 5 seconds and is off for 2 and set it against a voice that plays on for 7 seconds and is off for 3 then you get a kind of really slow beat pattern happening as the two voices move in and out of phase with each other.

Another option to explore is the micro delay parameter. Again, its not totally faithful because the micro delays are applied on a note by note basis and can't apply to an entire phrase. But you can get some interesting things going playing two identical patterns against each other - one in strict time and the other with micro delays

Examples of both approaches in the attached file. The first cell is the ambient one. The second uses the patterns with delays.

• edited February 2022

Very nice! Thanks for these ideas. There is so much Wotja can do, it’s great to know how other users are exploring the outer limits!

• Kudos to Pete and Tim for such a wonderful and playful piece of musical software. This is my first foray into Wotja and I'm loving the experience of playing and learning as I go, peeling back the layers of the onion and discovering something exciting underneath each time. So much to learn!

Poetic gushing aside I just ran Wotja inside Logic as an AuV3 and I see the limitation of not being able to host AuV3's inside of Wotja when used in Logic. Is this something that may eventually be doable or is there some hard limitation? Are there any easy workarounds to have Wotja control instruments within Logic. I apologise if that is basic question, still finding my way around Logic.

• Finding your way round Wotja AND Logic at the same time is one hell of a learning curve! Respect!

For myself, I find it way more flexible to have Logic host the AUs and use Wotja as a controller for those tracks. This also allows you to use Logic’s superb built in instruments which aren’t available as AUv3.

It’s reasonably simple to set up, especially since Logic v 10.1 which introduced some important improvements to Logic’s midi routing. The video below shows how to do it.

Note - at of now there is a weird bug somewhere that disrupts midi sent from Wotja’s own virtual midi ports and stops it arriving in Logics channel strips. Still trying to work out the reason for that.

So the workaround at the moment is to use the IAC instead.

To do that, first enable the IAC midi port on your system (do that in the Mac OS Audio and Midi applet).

In Wotja, enable Virtual midi, click on the Output ports menu and check the box to enable the IAC from the drop down list of ports.

Then, on the Logic channel strip midi ports for the target tracks, use the IAC as the input port instead of Wotja Omni.

So, apart from substituting the Wotja Omni port for IAC, this is how you set Logic up to be controlled by Wotja.

• @UMCorps said:
    Finding your way round Wotja AND Logic at the same time is one hell of a learning curve! Respect!

For myself, I find it way more flexible to have Logic host the AUs and use Wotja as a controller for those tracks. This also allows you to use Logic’s superb built in instruments which aren’t available as AUv3.

It’s reasonably simple to set up, especially since Logic v 10.1 which introduced some important improvements to Logic’s midi routing. The video below shows how to do it.

Note - at of now there is a weird bug somewhere that disrupts midi sent from Wotja’s own virtual midi ports and stops it arriving in Logics channel strips. Still trying to work out the reason for that.

To do that, first enable the IAC midi port on your system (do that in the Mac OS Audio and Midi applet).

In Wotja, enable Virtual midi, click on the Output ports menu and check the box to enable the IAC from the drop down list of ports.

Then, on the Logic channel strip midi ports for the target tracks, use the IAC as the input port instead of Wotja Omni.

So, apart from substituting the Wotja Omni port for IAC, this is how you set Logic up to be controlled by Wotja.

@UMCorps you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you so much for this. So generous of you to go out of your way to explain and even better it all makes sense and the video really helps as well :) Really looking forward to the possibilities of Wotja in Logic.

Thanks so much again my friend.

• @UMCorps said:
    Finding your way round Wotja AND Logic at the same time is one hell of a learning curve! Respect!

20 minutes after your lovely post and I am in heaven. Horns, strings and clarinets are floating around each other, coated in delicious reverb, making wonderful happy compositional "accidents". Love it!

• Perfect!

When you are done, remember to save your Wotja mix file as well as the Logic project file as, unlike an AU preset, it won’t get saved automatically by Logic.

• @UMCorps said:
    Perfect!

When you are done, remember to save your Wotja mix file as well as the Logic project file as, unlike an AU preset, it won’t get saved automatically by Logic.

Good tip - didn't even think about that. Weirdly I have opened and closed a bunch of times and while it's a simple project the Wotja file seems to have been saved without me manually doing it? I'll test that with some more radical changes and no saving within Wotja. Thanks so much again.

• I might be out of date then. Maybe the mix is now saved with the project? It’s been a while since I checked that aspect and I’m not in my studio right now to double check.

Either way, it’s good practice to have a backup strategy 😂

• What is the best way for me to understand probability in Wotja? For example, if I am using the Rhythm Rule and there are three durations in my piece (1/4, 1/8, 1/16, all the others set to 0%), and 1/4=100%, 1/8=100%, and 1/16=50%, would that mean the probability of 1/16th occurring is 50/250 (one in five)? Do you add them all together and put the duration’s probability against the total? So probability of 1/8th occurring is 100/250 (two in five)? Or is it more complicated than that? (I chose the Rhythm Rule to avoid the further complexities of how Next Note interacts with Scale etc)

• Tim or Pete will have the definitive answer but in practice it seems more fuzzy than that. The only certainty is when a value has a 0% probability. Then you know it will not happen. Beyond that the values you set are best seen as weightings that bias the composition engine towards making its choices. But it’s all relative. Meaning, setting the probabilities for all notes to 50% would not be noticeably different from setting them all to 100%. The slider level only has significance in relation to the other sliders in use at the time.

Ultimately, the only unit you can use is whether something is more probable or less probable. Sliders are good cos they give a nice visual indication of how probabilities are stacked up against each other. Beyond that, numerical values have not been very useful to me.

• @looperboy said:
    would that mean the probability of 1/16th occurring is 50/250 (one in five)? Do you add them all together and put the duration’s probability against the total?

Correct!

• @imtim said:
    Correct!

Fantastic! Thank you!

• Has anyone successfully used Wotja in Cubasis to drive auv3 instruments on other tracks, via a similar method that @UMCorps outlined above for Logic? I’ve been messing around in the MIDI Routing section for each track and it almost seems likes it’s going to work but fails.

• edited February 2022

@Cambler said:
    Has anyone successfully used Wotja in Cubasis to drive auv3 instruments on other tracks, via a similar method that @UMCorps outlined above for Logic? I’ve been messing around in the MIDI Routing section for each track and it almost seems likes it’s going to work but fails.

You may have better luck following @UMCorps methodology in AUM and then loading AUM as an IAA in Cubasis 3. The MIDI routing in Cubasis isn’t where it needs to be. You can also use ApeMatrix but AUM has the benefit of 8 separate IAA ports which can be brought into Cubasis as 8 separate channels.

And now that Cubasis has Ableton Link, that should help with tempo syncing the seperate environments.

• @Cambler said:
    Has anyone successfully used Wotja in Cubasis to drive auv3 instruments on other tracks, via a similar method that @UMCorps outlined above for Logic? I’ve been messing around in the MIDI Routing section for each track and it almost seems likes it’s going to work but fails.

I am doing this in CB3.

I set WJ midi out to Cubasis 3 and turn off the internal synth engine.

Then in CB I load WJ AU into a midi track like it was an instrument. I set the midi routing to All midi inputs and all midi channels

Then I load MIDI instruments onto CB MIDI tracks and set them to the MIDI channels I want them to receive from WJ. Here’s one on CH 1

And one on CH3

Play CB and WJ will generate notes, send them to the CB tracks which will play only the notes on the MIDI chosen on the track.

Then record arm the CB attacks and record. The WJ output will be recorded as shown in my screen shots.

PS.. the EG pulse track in my set up isn’t being fed by WJ… it’s just playing it’s own internal patterns (ie sync to host) .

In WJ you can have one track with lots of MIDI channels in the cell/s or multiple tracks each feeding a different MIDI channel.

Hope this helps

• @ltf3 you are a beautiful thing. It now works perfectly. I was close with my previous dabbling's but missed a few key settings. Thanks so much for that. Also thanks to @jonmoore for the response as well. Gotta love this forum :)

• Is there a way to go full screen on the wavetable editing or effects editing settings on iPhone?

• @looperboy said:
    Is there a way to go full screen on the wavetable editing or effects editing settings on iPhone?

Yes! In the WAE Network Editor, select the unit you want then tap the top right Action button and select "Edit Full Screen".

See: https://intermorphic.com/wotja/22/guide/#mix-music-editor-synthfx-action

hth!

• edited February 2022

Is It only possible to reach the Synth& Effect Editor via the Generator Synth&Effect buttons? I find it very difficult to hit the correct button on iPhone.

• edited March 2022

@looperboy said:
    Is It only possible to reach the Synth& Effect Editor via the Generator Synth&Effect buttons? I find it very difficult to hit the correct button on iPhone.

Hi, yes, that is correct but it is possible to make the buttons bigger, and so easier to select.

1) Hide Generator Editor Panel:
    A) Go to the Music Mode "Generator Network" view (https://intermorphic.com/wotja/22/guide/#mix-music-generator-network)
    B ) Tap the Grid button (https://intermorphic.com/wotja/22/guide/#mix-music-grid) and select the popup menu option to HIDE the Generator Editor Panel. Doing this will make the buttons larger as we do not need to take up screen space for the Generator Editor Panel.

2) "One Cell" view:
    Also try selecting "One Cell" view (see this tutorial https://intermorphic.com/wotja/tutorials/item/mix-display-cell.html). Doing that allows you to focus on the Generator Network in just one Cell, meaning the Generator Network displays just that bit larger.

3) Tip:
    When you are in the SFX Network Editor (https://intermorphic.com/wotja/22/guide/#mix-music-editor-synthfx) then for the unit you want to edit full screen, double tap it and from the popup menu select "Edit Full Screen".

Hope that helps,

Tim

• Ah, that all helps a lot! Thanks, Tim.

• Quick, possibly dumb question - how do I turn on iCloud backup on iOS after saying no to it on the first run of the app? TIA!

• @Cambler said:
    Quick, possibly dumb question - how do I turn on iCloud backup on iOS after saying no to it on the first run of the app? TIA!

See: https://intermorphic.com/wotja/22/guide/#icloud

There are two different iCloud related settings so probably a good idea to check both!

Hth,

Tim

• edited March 2022

@imtim said:

@Cambler said:
    Quick, possibly dumb question - how do I turn on iCloud backup on iOS after saying no to it on the first run of the app? TIA!

See: https://intermorphic.com/wotja/22/guide/#icloud

There are two different iCloud related settings so probably a good idea to check both!

Hth,

Tim

Bless your socks Tim. I think I actually looked over that page but thought it was pertaining to another scenario . Onto it now!

(EDIT: I was actually looking at the FAQ All working now!)

• Hi Folks,

Wotja 22.2.0 will arrive any day now.

IMPROVED: Rule Editing is now much easier through use of a Rule selection checkbox.
    IMPROVED: Desktop apps now have a "close" button which closes the Document tab; this is for cross-platform UI consistency.
    IMPROVED: Accessibility text (top-right Mix button, Cell Properties button, Grid button).
    FIXED: A number of minor Rule editing bugs.
    FIXED: Crash when Settings > 'Embed Hosted Plug-in UIs' was off (i.e. plug-ins are in their own Windows) and the mix file was closed.
    FIXED: A couple of UI typos and other minor bugs.

P.S. Love Wotja? You can really help us by giving a new rating for each app update. Thank you!

Best wishes,

Pete

• Hi all,

Wotja 22.2.4 is now available:

FIXED: When using a Wavetable Unit with a SoundFont that used spaces in the name, it could stop working correctly when you modified the SFX network.
    FIXED: SF2 stereo samples with fixed key or fixed velocity could have L/R channels treated differently.
    FIXED: Sequence Array Item was not displaying a probability of 0% correctly.
    FIXED: Sequence Array Item highlight is now remembered when you return from the relevant editor.
    FIXED: Sequence Array TTM Item was not displaying text correctly for multi-line item.
    FIXED: Sequence Array TTM Item > Custom Text Editor > Action > Export TTM Melody was not a 'B' pattern.
    FIXED (Windows): Issue where the very occasional "Rate Wotja" pop-up went to the store page for the wrong version; Lite page was shown for Pro and vice-versa.
    FIXED (Windows): Issue where launching a web page through the app could result in the pop-up alert remaining displayed until the app was closed.
    FIXED: The top "info" area in the TTM Editor now updates the notes graphic when the used text is changed

Best wishes,

Pete

• Using Wotja to both feed and drive Wingie from Meng Qi.
    Wingie is a 2 channel resonator. The resonators can be tuned by the on unit key switches or over midi, which is what is going on here.
    Wotja generates a simple unstructured piano voice which is processed by Wingie also controlled by Wotja. An alternative approach to a prepared piano

• I finally got around to running Wotja 22 in earnest with AUv3 plugins. The documentation is pretty excellent but one point that simply didn’t sink in for me is that if you are mixing non-AU cells with plugins, you HAVE to put the Wotja output into one of the plugin slots. That was driving me crazy until I figured that point out but now things are clicking a bit. The AU support is a little spotty - when things work, they work but some plugins just seem to give me a blank white screen. I have always had trouble when combining Wotja in the past with other MIDI programs - whether its AUM, Cubasis or others. The post a few points above has good setup instructions for Cubasis which is one nice way to combine AUv3s in combination with Wotja. The problem is that Cubasis 3 with Wotja tends to lose its sound frequently requiring either restarting Cubasis or even rebooting the iPad. AUM is a bit more stable but just feels weird to me with my Desktop DAW biases (Logic Pro). As for Drambo, well, someday maybe - if I can manage Wotja’s learning curve I should probably be able to manage Drambo’s.

I went large on my new iPad and have the 12.9” M1 Pro with 16gb of memory - so hardware isn’t the issue. Software is another matter (AUv3 hosts, Wotja and iOS itself). AUs on iOS still feel very beta to me - not a Wotja issue so much as an iOS one.

So this release finally makes it appealing (or at least possible) to run Wotja as an AUv3 host. If you can manage with 5 (or 4) AUv3 programs along with the inbuilt sounds, it eliminates a lot of the cross-program headaches that other methods involve. Wotja is gradually becoming a self-contained composing tool.