Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Clipper apps

Clipping is fun. Both for loudness and for sound design. What options are there for clipping on iOS?

AUFX Push has a clipper. BitJuggler does clipping and then some. There’s the LoFi Clipper from Nembrini but it does not have much in the way of control.

On the desktop we have KClip, StandardClip, ClippedMax, Saturate, Big Clipper, etc.

Thoughts?

Comments

• @gusgranite said:
    Clipping is fun. Both for loudness and for sound design. What options are there for clipping on iOS?

AUFX Push has a clipper. BitJuggler does clipping and then some. There’s the LoFi Clipper from Nembrini but it does not have much in the way of control.

On the desktop we have KClip, StandardClip, ClippedMax, Saturate, Big Clipper, etc.

Thoughts?

Distortion apps, wave folders, etc are all clippers of one sort or another.

• K-devices/Shaper has Clipper in there too.

• @espiegel123 said:

@gusgranite said:

Thoughts?

Distortion apps, wave folders, etc are all clippers of one sort or another.

True but I like the gain, ceiling, modes etc you can get with dedicated clippers. I think iOS has space for some decked out clippers. 🙂

• Drambo's graphic shaper can clip in any way you can dream up to draw. I dunno what could be more comprehensive than that.

• @wim said:
    Drambo's graphic shaper can clip in any way you can dream up to draw. I dunno what could be more comprehensive than that.

You are absolutely right. In fact, we can recreate most things in a modular app like Drambo, MiRack etc. The nice thing about dedicated apps though is that the developer has thought about workflow and UI just for that function. They have nice clear input, output, and gain reduction metering. Automatic gain compensation. Maybe some different modes of saturation. A slider to set the ceiling etc. Maybe a delta button to hear what you are removing.

Now I go back to AUFX Push it’s actually got most of that in the clip mode. Pretty cool actually.

• @wim said:
    Drambo's graphic shaper can clip in any way you can dream up to draw. I dunno what could be more comprehensive than that.

Damn, that Graphic Shaper module is killer though…

• Would be a nice standard addition/upgrade for iOS GarageBand.

• @gusgranite said:

@wim said:

Damn, that Graphic Shaper module is killer though…

It's definitely one of my favorite modules, not only for clipping.
    Shaping your own sound live is fun and effective.

If anyone would like some help in shaping ideas:
    Here's a bunch of curves like in iZotope Trash 2.

• TB Barricade has some nice clippers…
    …current favourite is BLEASS Saturator.

Other candidates are the graphic shaper in Drambo and SunVox has some nice modules for it too.

• I entered this thread thinking "It's not clipper the programming language, but i'll click it anyway" :lol:

Back on topic... I don't use clippers too much. But Drambo and Sunvox's are ace. I gotta check CLPR inside Bogaudio stuff in MiRack too

• Thanks @rs2000 - handy.

@Samu Barricade! Of course… what a gem of an app. There’s a great example of preferring a developer to put the whole package together for you vs building it from scratch via modules (depends on the person, I know).

@senhorlampada it’s also one of my favourite Autechre tracks! Hey, I wonder if they were referring to the programming language?

• @gusgranite amazing track. Didn't recall listening to it before.
    Autechre is awesome :love:

• Interestingly enough, in my testing, TB Barricade is the only app that does clean hard clipping from all the apps mentioned in this thread.

If you want to go deep, here’s a fascinating dive into hard clipping:

• edited January 2022

@senhorlampada said:
    I entered this thread thinking "It's not clipper the programming language, but i'll click it anyway" :lol:

Back on topic... I don't use clippers too much. But Drambo and Sunvox's are ace. I gotta check CLPR inside Bogaudio stuff in MiRack too

I too thought it was about CA-Clipper language.

(your screenshot is NOT Clipper programming language)

• @ahallam said:
    I really like the sound of WaveFolder.

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/wavefolder-audio-unit/id1289484131

Yes, WaveFolder is great.

My testing right now is around *close to transparent hard clippers. Rather than distortion. TB Barricade is the only one I have found on iOS so far.

• @gusgranite said:

@ahallam said:

My testing right now is around *close to transparent hard clippers. Rather than distortion. TB Barricade is the only one I have found on iOS so far.

BLEASS Saturator has a nice hard-clip algorithm as well...

• @Samu said:

@gusgranite said:

@ahallam said:

I couldn’t get it clean. If you have a preset please share. Thanks

• @gusgranite said:

>

What kind of 'signal' are you testing with?

Turning off EQ and BIT reduction and setting the algorithm to Hardclip with Depth at 1.0 and period at 0.0 shaves off pretty evenly when driving it?! (TB Barricade doesn't provide enough makeup gain without having the compressor engaged when using its hard clip at -40).

• @Samu said:

@gusgranite said:

>

What kind of 'signal' are you testing with?

Turning off EQ and BIT reduction and setting the algorithm to Hardclip with Depth at 1.0 and period at 0.0 shaves off pretty evenly when driving it?! (TB Barricade doesn't provide enough makeup gain without having the compressor engaged when using its hard clip at -40).

I was using AUGenX for the signal and the Mani Oscilloscope for the visual. Will take another look tonight. Cheers.

• Just for fun...

500Hz sine-wave from auGEN X thru SunVox distortion module with clip algorithm.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4ap385z1ksds8z/SVoxClip.mp4?dl=0

• Correct me if I’m wrong:
    The reason that Barricade’s clippers sound so good is because of the antialiasing tricks which I suspect to be a blend of the original signal and the clipping harmonics of a low pass filtered input.
    This is why it doesn’t actually clip at the selected level. I think 🤔

• @jolico said:
    Correct me if I’m wrong:
    The reason that Barricade’s clippers sound so good is because of the antialiasing tricks which I suspect to be a blend of the original signal and the clipping harmonics of a low pass filtered input.
    This is why it doesn’t actually clip at the selected level. I think 🤔

Maybe, I was going by the oscilloscope and not the sound though in this case, however :smile:

• Ha ha, I am rather looking for a good declipper 😂

• @MobileMusic said:
    I too thought it was about CA-Clipper language.

(your screenshot is NOT Clipper programming language)

It's been too long. And clipper was not my thing :lol:

• @gusgranite said:

Thoughts?

I’m looking for a clipper too, after digging deep into the CTZ (Clip To Zero) Strategy - I’ve been using KClip in Logic but I would love to have a simple clipper AUv3 to use at the source (NS2) - so which devs should I start spamming to make this happen? 😄

• @KRPT said:

@gusgranite said:

Thoughts?

I’m looking for a clipper too, after digging deep into the CTZ (Clip To Zero) Strategy - I’ve been using KClip in Logic but I would love to have a simple clipper AUv3 to use at the source (NS2) - so which devs should I start spamming to make this happen? 😄

He’s actually why I started this thread. For those who haven’t seen it, the new CTZ series he’s on now is really interesting if you make club music. https://youtube.com/c/Baphometrix

• He’s actually why I started this thread. For those who haven’t seen it, the new CTZ series he’s on now is really interesting if you make club music. https://youtube.com/c/Baphometrix

And so what have you tried as far as iOS clippers go? You working with any interesting desktop software too?

• @KRPT said:

He’s actually why I started this thread. For those who haven’t seen it, the new CTZ series he’s on now is really interesting if you make club music. https://youtube.com/c/Baphometrix

And so what have you tried as far as iOS clippers go? You working with any interesting desktop software too?

See above. TB Barricade is the only one on iOS I found could do the clean hard clipping. @Samu has good results with SunVox.

• @gusgranite said:

@KRPT said:

See above. TB Barricade is the only one on iOS I found could do the clean hard clipping. @Samu has good results with SunVox.

Did you also try AUFX: PUSH?