Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free Cardinal VST (based on vcv rack)

Free and opensource
https://kx.studio/News/?action=view&url=cardinal-2202-is-now-released
download here
https://github.com/DISTRHO/Cardinal/releases
can't find videos showcasing , very few , here's one:

Comments

• awesome, thanks for the heads up!

• Bitwig won’t load the VST2 or 3. Bit of a pity as it looks very interesting

• edited February 2022

@thinds said:
    Bitwig won’t load the VST2 or 3. Bit of a pity as it looks very interesting

it's work in progress , the dev is super active ,but the downside is that for bug reports ,you can only post on github (requires to make a free account)
    https://github.com/DISTRHO/Cardinal/issues

as for vst3 is known issue :

With the exception of a few bugs, Cardinal can be considered stable.
    Though currently the following should be noted:
    Keyboard input does not always work in some hosts #24
    VST3 support incomplete/experimental #41
    Windows 32bit builds do not work well #80

• wimwim
    edited February 2022

Looks promising. Thanks for posting!

I tried it though, and it just about brought my 2015 MacBook Pro to its knees with even simple patches. That and it not having the Fundamental modules yet (due to artwork copyright issues), so far has me sticking with miRack, which is excellent on the MacBook and barely noticeable resource-wise. iCloud interoperability with the iOS version is really nice to have with miRack too.

If it can be made more efficient, it'll be really nice though since it can include a lot more updated modules than miRack can, being stuck on the v1 code base due to licensing issues.

I'll try it again in a few months.

• edited February 2022

Btw, VCV2 VST works great work on most old and new Macs. Cardinal is a fork of a lot of old vcv1 code from what I understand, so it's not as efficient on older Macs.

Plus it doesn't have a lot of modules that VCV2 has. Also, should be noted that Cardinal only has stereo out from the VST whereas official has 16 in/out.

• edited February 2022

@auxmux said:
    Btw, VCV2 VST works great work on most old and new Macs. Cardinal is a fork of a lot of old vcv1 code from what I understand, so it's not as efficient on older Macs.

Plus it doesn't have a lot of modules that VCV2 has. Also, should be noted that Cardinal only has stereo out from the VST whereas official has 16 in/out.

Well, it kinda works on older macs. VCV 2 works great in standalone since you can lower the fps.

I’m on a 2015 i7 mbp with 16gb ram. Sprung for VCV pro and sadly, as a vst, it always runs at max framerate, rendering it essentially useless for the time being.

They’re apparently working on a fix, but in the meantime I can’t run even the simplest patches without glitching and overheating.

• @palms said:

@auxmux said:

Well, it kinda works on older macs. VCV 2 works great in standalone since you can lower the fps.

I’m on a 2015 i7 mbp with 16gb ram. Sprung for VCV pro and sadly, as a vst, it always runs at max framerate, rendering it essentially useless for the time being.

They’re apparently working on a fix, but in the meantime I can’t run even the simplest patches without glitching and overheating.

Interesting, I read someone running on 2012 MacBook but that might have been standalone.

• @auxmux said:

I don't think it will ever have commercial modules . The license is based on no commercial use
    As for efficiency I bet it will become better , the dev is very experienced

• There’s a long heritage with this. I'm not sure if it's the same developer, but I suspect it is, as the bundled modules are very similar. Long before Rack 2 was available, a developer shared a VST version of Rack over on KVR, I'm going back 2/3 years here.

I love VCV Rack 2 and couldn't rely entirely on a free version as I own some commercial modules that are essential to my workflow. But what I like about Cardinal is that the bundled modules align nicely with miRack on iOS. This means that you can develop patches on the desktop where you're more likely to be working with large format monitors (which are an obvious benefit with Rack), before loading (or recreating) those patches in miRack.

• On a related note, would be great to see more of the modules in Cardinal in miRack. Pretty quiet on that front for a long time.

• @Korakios said:

@auxmux said:

I don't think it will ever have commercial modules . The license is based on no commercial use
    As for efficiency I bet it will become better , the dev is very experienced

If I was to pick a developer to pull this off it would be him. Among many other things he's responsible for Carla - which is an insanely useful host/bridge.

• @jonmoore said:
    There’s a long heritage with this. I'm not sure if it's the same developer, but I suspect it is, as the bundled modules are very similar. Long before Rack 2 was available, a developer shared a VST version of Rack over on KVR, I'm going back 2/3 years here.

It's a different developer. The modules are similar due to licensing issues and popularity I suspect. But the approach is very different. It will be interesting if he addresses the GUI problems with Rack (which is ridiculously inefficient).

I love VCV Rack 2 and couldn't rely entirely on a free version as I own some commercial modules that are essential to my workflow.

Yeah, the way this is designed it would be impossible to mix commercial modules with it. It's designed for a different purpose, including quite possibly the developers day job.

But what I like about Cardinal is that the bundled modules align nicely with miRack on iOS.
    This means that you can develop patches on the desktop where you're more likely to be working with large format monitors (which are an obvious benefit with Rack), before loading (or recreating) those patches in miRack.

I find MiRack works pretty well for me as is on desktop. Though I haven't used it in a while, or for anything terribly taxing.

• One reason that a bunch of opensource developers are excited about this is because Andrew (the VCV Rack developer) has been pretty difficult/unpleasant to a number of the module developers. I don't think that's the motivation for Filipe Coelho (in the many years I've had interactions with him he's always seemed a very transparent guy. If he says he's doing it for reason X I believe him), but there's apparently quite a bit of excitement for this.

The developer is a fantastic guy. I'm sure this project will go some interesting and unexpected places in the future.

• @cian said:

@jonmoore said:
    There’s a long heritage with this. I'm not sure if it's the same developer, but I suspect it is, as the bundled modules are very similar. Long before Rack 2 was available, a developer shared a VST version of Rack over on KVR, I'm going back 2/3 years here.

It's a different developer. The modules are similar due to licensing issues and popularity I suspect. But the approach is very different. It will be interesting if he addresses the GUI problems with Rack (which is ridiculously inefficient).

Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn’t sure.

I’m glad Cardinal exists as I think it’s important that a truly open-source and free modular environment exists that’s available and a VST/AU (the VST/AU aspect makes it more accessible to those brought up on DAW’s).

The real success of VCV Rack is that it made modular workflows accessible to all. Building a hardware modular isn’t cheap, so having the ability to first dip your toes via a free open-source modular environment has been a boon to many. Unfortunately, VCV Rack 2 Pro, priced at $149 is a large step away from that accessibility. And much as there's still a free version of VCV Rack available, there are many that feel (inclusive of some module developers) that the VCV project overall doesn't feel like a truly open-source project anymore.

Viva Cardinal.

• It’s definitely a tricky prospect running such a big open source project; I did buy the rack pro as I wanted to support development that I’d benefited from free for years; however, I’ve been a long time supporter of the blender foundation through their various schemes, either direct dev fund, or through the marketplace (which kicks back a percentage of the plugin sales to the foundation). I kinda think their model works better, and has proved itself by its continued and flying success, but the industries are very different - blender has benefited from a lot of industry support, both material and in kind, and I’m not certain how, or is that could manifest in a similar way in the music tech world, so perhaps that’s why the VCV team went for the buy it now model, rather than the voluntary support scheme…

• There are other projects trying to do the open source/paid model with mixed success. Ardour has been kind of doing it for years and the developers just about making enough to eat (and that's with limited commercial support) based upon donations. The Airwindows guy has a Patreon and doesn't make a great living, but I don't think he's doing any worse than he was when he sold his plugins. Matt Hytel is trying the hybrid model with Vital (a really good wavetable synth), where payment gets you access to more wavetables. Not sure how that's going for him

ZynAddSubFX has a new version of the synth where you can build it for free, or pay for a pre-built version. Again not sure how its going for them - not a synth I've ever used.

• Another video :