Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus3 - can a specific preset auto-load on Startup?

Probably a silly question but is there a way, in Audiobus3, to get it to auto-load a specific preset on Startup?

Comments

• @MikeFloutier said:
    Probably a silly question but is there a way, in Audiobus3, to get it to auto-load a specific preset on Startup?

I don't think so. Audiobus starts up empty. This can be enabled in AUM. It was a recent addition by the dev, responding to user requests.

• @uncledave said:

@MikeFloutier said:

I don't think so. Audiobus starts up empty. This can be enabled in AUM. It was a recent addition by the dev, responding to user requests.

Thanks @uncledave , I was just being lazy, wanting to do in one tap what takes 4 now 😂

• I could be mistaken but I thought there was a way to map and load a preset from a midi controller.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    I could be mistaken but I thought there was a way to map and load a preset from a midi controller.

Yes you can, using the MIDI mapping. That might help the OP, as a shortcut. It doesn't meet his original request though, which was to have a preset auto-load on startup.

• edited February 2022

Yea, ok cool, I thought so, thanks for confirming that

• @MikeFloutier - there's a kind of convoluted way to place a shortcut to a session file on your desktop. It involves saving the session to the files app, moving that file to a particular location, then making a shortcut with the Shortcuts app to load it, then finally putting saving that shortcut to the desktop.

IMO not worth the effort, but I can dig up the instructions if you really want this.

• @wim said:
    @MikeFloutier - there's a kind of convoluted way to place a shortcut to a session file on your desktop. It involves saving the session to the files app, moving that file to a particular location, then making a shortcut with the Shortcuts app to load it, then finally putting saving that shortcut to the desktop.

IMO not worth the effort, but I can dig up the instructions if you really want this.

Thanks @wim , sorry I should have mentioned, I’m using AB3 on iOS.

• Yup, would be nice if you could make Audiobus always start with your default.

• @MikeFloutier said:

@wim said:
    @MikeFloutier - there's a kind of convoluted way to place a shortcut to a session file on your desktop. It involves saving the session to the files app, moving that file to a particular location, then making a shortcut with the Shortcuts app to load it, then finally putting saving that shortcut to the desktop.

Thanks @wim , sorry I should have mentioned, I’m using AB3 on iOS.

@MikeFloutier : Wim is talking about iOS. When he says desktop, he is talking about iOS’s desktop or whatever it is called.

• @wim said:

Thanks @wim , I may come back to you on that, in a live music situation timesaving can be very helpful

• @MikeFloutier said:

@wim said:

Thanks @wim , I may come back to you on that, in a live music situation timesaving can be very helpful

Sure, and sorry for the confusion, I should have said Home Screen.
    I'll post how to do it some time later today. 👍🏼

• Hi @MikeFloutier - I managed to locate the post where I described how to do it with AUM. The process would be the same for Audiobus. However, there's a big caveat: the session file has to be stored on iCloud for this method to work. That disqualifies it from live use IMO because there's no way to guarantee there's a local cached copy on your device at any one time. You could find that iOS has decided to offload that file to save space, and needs to download a copy, but - if you're playing live you'd be nuts to have Internet access turned on even if it was available.

The other downside is the file is an external copy of a session. Each time you you updated the Audiobus session you would need to export and replace the copy. Forget to do so, and you could end up with the wrong version.

So ... definitely not recommended ... but if you look over the post I'll link below and decide it's worthwhile, I'll test and adapt the particulars for Audiobus.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/1006562/#Comment_1006562

• @wim said:
    Hi @MikeFloutier - I managed to locate the post where I described how to do it with AUM. The process would be the same for Audiobus. However, there's a big caveat: the session file has to be stored on iCloud for this method to work. That disqualifies it from live use IMO because there's no way to guarantee there's a local cached copy on your device at any one time. You could find that iOS has decided to offload that file to save space, and needs to download a copy, but - if you're playing live you'd be nuts to have Internet access turned on even if it was available.

The other downside is the file is an external copy of a session. Each time you you updated the Audiobus session you would need to export and replace the copy. Forget to do so, and you could end up with the wrong version.

So ... definitely not recommended ... but if you look over the post I'll link below and decide it's worthwhile, I'll test and adapt the particulars for Audiobus.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/1006562/#Comment_1006562

Many thanks @wim , totally agree.

In fact quite a bit of setting up before a gig is normal in many respects so it’s a pretty moot issue; was just curious as any simplification is welcome.

On the subject of the live portion of a gig, I take it you would recommend turning off Wi-Fi and mobile data?

Thanks again!

• @MikeFloutier said:
    On the subject of the live portion of a gig, I take it you would recommend turning off Wi-Fi and mobile data?

Yes, best to be in Airplane mode unless you need Bluetooth connectivity, though I would avoid that if possible.

• @wim said:

@MikeFloutier said:

Yes, best to be in Airplane mode unless you need Bluetooth connectivity, though I would avoid that if possible.

Thanks @wim , but I need BT for my BlueBoard pedal.

• @wim said:

@MikeFloutier said:

Bluetooth midi is reliable and essential for many setups. Why would you avoid it if possible?

• @espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@MikeFloutier said:

Bluetooth midi is reliable and essential for many setups. Why would you avoid it if possible?

Actually, with current iPadOS (15.3.1 at least), Bluetooth is not disabled by Airplane Mode; it only affects WiFi.

For my practicing, I don't bother with Airplane Mode. But I need to be sure to enable Do Not Disturb and Mute Notifications. Otherwise the beeps and bleeps are far too loud in my powered speakers.

• @espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@MikeFloutier said:

Because I'm a paranoid (through experience) IT person and know how easy it is for someone to hijack a Bluetooth connection. But also because in a live situation, simply reducing any reliance on over the air is a safe practice if possible. If it's needed then fine, but if not, like every other variable, it should be eliminated if possible.

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@MikeFloutier said:

Because I'm a paranoid (through experience) IT person and know how easy it is for someone to hijack a Bluetooth connection. But also because in a live situation, simply reducing any reliance on over the air is a safe practice if possible. If it's needed then fine, but if not, like every other variable, it should be eliminated if possible.

Good point. I can’t imagine completely relying on a wireless connection during a live performance.

• wimwim
    edited February 2022

@NeuM said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@MikeFloutier said:

Good point. I can’t imagine completely relying on a wireless connection during a live performance.

TBH, I think I'd still use a Blueboard, but not if I had a wired controller I could use instead.

The risk is admittedly low. Once the device is connected, no normal process can hijack it. Interrupt it, maybe, but to hijack it would require knowledge of hacking tools and the malice to do so. Very unlikely. Interference could be an issue in a crowded space with many devices each with Bluetooth and wifi radios going. That's more what I'd be concerned with.