Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Virtual Instrument apps that support micro pitch shifting (A440=A432)

Anyone know of any VI apps that let you shift the pitch the tonal center in smaller degrees than semitones (like in .5 hertz increments)? For example, shifting the default tuning of A440 to A432.

Comments

• edited January 2015

There are many apps like Sunrizer, Tera.... a lot which lets you "fine" tune in cents f.e. You can make very subtle changes in pitch with it!
    Or do you mean live tuning like bending the notes while playing?

• edited January 2015

I mean shift the default tuning of the entire keyboard from centering around A440 to A432. I'm experimenting with tuning my guitar to A432 and now sampletank sounds out of tune. Looking for a sample based VI with good pianos, violins, etc.

• edited January 2015

Oh.... that is possible with some apps too ThumbJam f.e.

Edit: Indeed, also some iOS synths can do it..... like Sunrizer. That again proves me that some of the oldest iOS apps are still the most versatile tools ;)

• Thank you! And for anyone who is curious...

http://attunedvibrations.com/432hz/

• But you could do similar thing also by using the cents fine tuner in some instruments if they doesn't have the option to enter the hz. Not sure but if you fine tune -31 or -32 cents it should be similar......

• Alternatively, you can re-tune your finished 440Hz track to 432Hz by changing the pitch down by -1.818% in Audacity (maybe Twisted Wave can do this as well if you want to stay in iOS?) Most of my Soundcloud tracks have been retuned to 432Hz in this way.

• There were some recent suggestions in a thread called "is gadget tunable?" On my phone or I'd hunt it down for you.

• @Ringleader - why the 432 Hz instead of the (C-5) 528 Hz (A=444 Hz)? Just courious.

• edited January 2015

@Ganthofer said:

@Ringleader - why the 432 Hz instead of the (C-5) 528 Hz (A=444 Hz)? Just courious.

At this point, simply convenience. I prefer the string tension/playability of a down tuned guitar over an up tuned. Guitars resonate more with open strings so it seems to be a better option to tune to A432 than to tune 1/2 step down in the A444 tuning (again for string playability/feel). But, I just started looking into all this only recently and have yet to make any preferences based on how the tunings make me feel. I find it all very interesting.

• edited January 2015

@AlterEgo_UK said:

Alternatively, you can re-tune your finished 440Hz track to 432Hz by changing the pitch down by -1.818% in Audacity (maybe Twisted Wave can do this as well if you want to stay in iOS?) Most of my Soundcloud tracks have been retuned to 432Hz in this way.

So you have already been doing this for the same reasons? Personally I am only interested in being able to do it live on a per instrument basis with no global post production pitch shifting but thanks for the info.

• No problem, @Ringleader :)
    Yes, doing this live would require each instrument to be tuned to 432Hz.

The Audacity, post-production way is great for re-tuning your favourite classic tracks and see if you notice any difference in feeling when listening to tracks you know really well. ;)

• edited January 2015

Workaround - Create a scala file in ScaleGen, export to Thumbjam, then use TJ as your controller for other apps? Not sure it would work with all sample based instruments though.

• Synth-Q has tuning settings for 432hz, 440hz and 444hz.

I guess there are many more out there...

• All ifretless apps have a tuning fork. -30 seems to arrive around 432hz.

• edited January 2015

@Ringleader said:

I mean shift the default tuning of the entire keyboard from centering around A440 to A432. I'm experimenting with tuning my guitar to A432 and now sampletank sounds out of tune. Looking for a sample based VI with good pianos, violins, etc.

Sorry to let you down, but there's really no such thing as perfect pitch with guitar. Use any good tuner and it'll show that just the act of plucking a string will raise the initial pitch by 5-10 cents. Plus tuning a guitar is just an asymptotic process because tension on one string affects tension on all the others, Then there's incorrect intonation of the standard fretboard design that will affect note value, too. My Strat can vary as much as 10 cents depending on which string and which position. Look up fanned-fret guitars if you are curious about this.

• I have a question for you. Let's say I have a track with both 440 and 432 elements. If/when I convert that track to 432 what happens to those who were already in 432?
    They turn into 425?

If so... is there a tool that allows to specify something different? Or will I have to mix two mixdowns?

• @Macao95 yes, they'll remain different. You could try pitch shifting one but two mix downs mixed together will likely sound better.

• @Coloobar I don't think he's trying to find a perfect guitar tuning. It's more about releasing your instruments' inner Buckminster Fuller.

• @syrupcore said:

@Macao95 yes, they'll remain different. You could try pitch shifting one but two mix downs mixed together will likely sound better.

Thank you, @Syrupcore. Interesting stuff, this. I'm constantly learning.

• Apart from the apps mentioned here and in the korg gadget thread I've found galileo, electronic piano synthesizer and samvada can be retuned too, eps offers very fine tuning and samvada gets to either 432.19 or 431.94, not quite spot on. I've read that the pythagorean scale can also be used if tuning isn't available, but as I'm a novice with all this I'm not 100% sure, is all very interesting though.

• Charles Lucy has interesting things to say about microtuning. http://www.lucytune.com

• edited January 2015

Check out Cymatics on YouTube if you want to see frequencies. So cool.

Oh and Dr. Emoto's water intent stuff??? Amazing!

• What about this new App Wilsonics? Apparently spefically microtonal.

• This thread is a few years old now, does anybody know if there have been any iOS synths released since this thread that support tuning to 432 or other frequencies?

• SynthMaster is the best for tuning I have found so far. Mine is tuned to A=444. Synth one can be tuned one patch at a time.
    Just got Korg Gadget. Can anyone tell me if any of it’s synths are tunable at all.?

• AudioLayer has pitch controls for the instruments and could be set up to play A=432 instruments using A=440 samples. It's a lot of work but if you like piano, rhodes, acoustic bass, etc this is probably worth the effort for your plans.

Don't forget you can drop pitch while using heavier gauge strings and maintain great tone even down a "perfect" 1/2 step so A=400 is still accurate. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Hendrix did this... heavy gauges dropped to Eb.