Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala - the ultimate pocket-sized sampler

Comments

• Love this app - I've used Cubasis and Korg Gadget to make tracks, and the end result is polished there, but I find I'm more likely to pick Koala and start sampling/sequencing and actually finish a song due to the fast and fun workflow.
    I've used it lately to record sounds and recording snippets and making a melodic sample - for instance someone saying "aaah". Then using that as the "synth" and random tapping on things as the drums.
    The one ask I have is re:Looping. When I loop over a vocal sample the sound is a bit abrupt at the looping point. @elf_audio do you have thoughts about making improvements to looping like allowing a cross fade (so that the end and the start overlap, avoiding the harsh edge) or setting up loop points too (other than the sample start and end)? That would make it even more awesome. Thanks!

• edited January 2022

@Oregano said:
    do you have thoughts about making improvements to looping like allowing a cross fade (so that the end and the start overlap, avoiding the harsh edge) or setting up loop points too (other than the sample start and end)?

Grab 4Pockets Neon Audio Editor for that.

Check out from 11.05 mins on...

• Thanks @Simon! I didn’t realize how powerful Neon Editor is, I’ll be getting after watching the videos. The particle engine and the cross fade are enough for me to do the manipulation I need.

• @elf_audio said:

@wim said:
    sigh ... still no landscape mode. I just love this app, and definitely appreciate the update! but ... I live on my iPad 99% more than the phone, and I just can't bring myself to use portrait only on iPad.

I wish at least it had simply an iPad only rotation, even with no change to the design, just rotated 90 degrees with the same portrait aspect ration. Sure there would be blank space to the sides. I don't care.

oh well, It's still a great app. I just use it far, far less than I would normally because of this thing that seems like it could be relatively little effort.

What you suggest would be quite easy (much easier than redesigning a proper landscape interface). My main hesitation is that people would get annoyed with it as a stop-gap solution and leave some bad reviews. If you really think that’s not the case and that people would be ok with it I’m happy to get cracking on it next week!

Annoying are Apps like this:

Regardless if they scale or not.

An iPad will most often be in Landscape mode...

In my book, any App needs to be able to rotate.
    Yes, even without a proper landscape mode - but at least the App can be used at all.

BTW, also for iPhones, a proper landscape mode is better than a portrait mode!
    And it has the nice side-effect to then work properly on both devices.

Nothing hinders an iPhone to be used in landscape rotation, many Apps and games required that anyways.
    But the iPad is often standing on a table - it cannot rotate!

• @alecsbuga said:
    Hmm, same here. @elf_audio might have changed how he handles multiple files because it worked.
    Koala seems to be the one that crashes.

does any one know if this is being looked at, every time i try to drag in multiple files it crashes? (@elf_audio)

• update Sample Crate and it should work.

• @cuberoo_ said:

@alecsbuga said:
    Hmm, same here. @elf_audio might have changed how he handles multiple files because it worked.

does any one know if this is being looked at, every time i try to drag in multiple files it crashes? (@elf_audio)

Did updating Sample Crate worked? Please let me know

• @alecsbuga said:

@cuberoo_ said:

@alecsbuga said:

Did updating Sample Crate worked? Please let me know

Just checked and koala is now working great again, Including loading multiple file in standalone and in loopy pro. Amazing!!!

• Ah sweet, so I’m off the hook?

• Anyone else notice the Stutter and Cutter FX are now stepped? I really enjoyed the micro adjustments you could do previously. Not sure if there is any setting to toggle this back? I wasn’t able to find one.

• @aftermast they were always stepped internally, but the sliders were continuous - I don't think it should work any different, just looks different. I may be wrong though.

• edited February 2022

@elf_audio said:
    @aftermast they were always stepped internally, but the sliders were continuous - I don't think it should work any different, just looks different. I may be wrong though.

It works differently for me. Just checked again and I have 8 steps for Stutter and 6 steps for cutter.

• Internally, STUTTER has always had 8 steps and CUTTER has always had 6 steps. If you had a continuous value, then they wouldn't be in time with the beat.

• @elf_audio said:
    Internally, STUTTER has always had 8 steps and CUTTER has always had 6 steps. If you had a continuous value, then they wouldn't be in time with the beat.

Update on this. I am able use all the steps when using a midi controller mapped to the FX - just not on the touch screen.

Speaking of midi, I’d love to see the start and end markers of a sample be mappable to a controller (similar to Spacecraft). Or if there was a way of being able to set the length of sample based on the bpm (say 2 bars) and be able to change the start. Not sure if I’m explaining this very well but both features would be so great for creating and fine tuning loops.

Koala is my favourite music creation app so thanks for all the hard work you do to keep it going and adding great new features.

• edited February 2022

Hello everyone, I’m new to the audio bus community and am so excited to be part of this. Just been scrolling and getting all my questions answered so fast from the users and the responsiveness of Marek @elf_audio is also amazing.

P.S. Loving the multi out update

Thank you all

• @aftermast said:
    Update on this. I am able use all the steps when using a midi controller mapped to the FX - just not on the touch screen.

Even if you drag your finger below the bottom of the slider? I guess its not obvious, but wondering if that lets you access all the levels? Just so I'm not going mad.

@tdubdrummer thank you for the kind words!

• @elf_audio said:

@aftermast said:

Even if you drag your finger below the bottom of the slider? I guess its not obvious, but wondering if that lets you access all the levels? Just so I'm not going mad.

@elf_audio said:

@aftermast said:

Yes I can only get 8 steps with nothing inbetween. I tried on both iPhone and iPad.

• @aftermast there are only 8 different steps in the effect - even if the slider slides smoothly, there are only 8 steps if that makes sense, there have never been any in-between levels, just 8 steps.

• But wait, the stutter and tempo delay and the reverse can be used on loops independently of the sequencer... That's new right!?

• @sevenape its sort of new, maybe been in there a few months - but be warned it doesn't sync to anything, so it won't sync to your loop automatically or anything like that. That would be nice but too much of an edge case and it would break if you tried to play 2 loops not at the same time!

• edited February 2022

@elf_audio said:
    @sevenape its sort of new, maybe been in there a few months - but be warned it doesn't sync to anything, so it won't sync to your loop automatically or anything like that. That would be nice but too much of an edge case and it would break if you tried to play 2 loops not at the same time!

for me it doesn't matter, nothing I do is synced anyway! :D That's good news though, thank you! Koala just keeps getting better, you are a true hero for the people!! :D

• Hi every body,

I am new here but long time fan of this forum.
    I have an issue with koala regarding the stretching and synchronizing of loops inside a host. (aum apematrix drambo all the same)
    Let met explain myself:
    when in stand alone mode, I cut a beat, stretch it and put it in the sequencer. works perfectly.
    BUT when I open koala in an IOS host, all the stretched loops are not synced anymore.(same for all my previous songs (in the new file format of course))
    I activated the midi clock sending in aum but nothing change.
    and to add to this, not only it is not synced but every 4 loops it auto mutes the loop during one loop sequence and then plays it again...and this repeatedly...

Can anyone help me or send me to a good shrink to solve the problem?!!! :-)

thanks to you all and bravo to the developer of this forum it is an amazing help

• edited February 2022

It’s due to a bug I introduced accidentally, which means that koala auv3 doesn’t know the sample rate.

Quick fix is set you sample rate to 48k

Or you can wait til tomorrow night when apple will hopefully approve the fix.

• Thanks a lot Don Marek!

• Feature request: Allow midi control of sample start and end points when trimming samples.

I find the touch screen fiddly for these things.

Anyone one else interested in that ? I'd be very happy to be able to slide start and endpoints with midi CCs from the knobs on my Launchkey mini.

• @bibenu said:
    Feature request: Allow midi control of sample start and end points when trimming samples.

I find the touch screen fiddly for these things.

Anyone one else interested in that ? I'd be very happy to be able to slide start and endpoints with midi CCs from the knobs on my Launchkey mini.

+1

• @bibenu the knobs you n your launchkey mini only have 127 steps - is that enough resolution for you? If you’re editing A 2 minute sample, you would only be able to adjust to the nearest second. That’s why I haven’t done it, not because it’s difficult but mostly to save all the complaints I would have to respond to with a lesson about midi!

• @elf_audio said:
    @bibenu the knobs you n your launchkey mini only have 127 steps - is that enough resolution for you? If you’re editing A 2 minute sample, you would only be able to adjust to the nearest second. That’s why I haven’t done it, not because it’s difficult but mostly to save all the complaints I would have to respond to with a lesson about midi!

👍😁

• Good point!

• edited February 2022

@elf_audio said:
    @bibenu the knobs you n your launchkey mini only have 127 steps - is that enough resolution for you? If you’re editing A 2 minute sample, you would only be able to adjust to the nearest second. That’s why I haven’t done it, not because it’s difficult but mostly to save all the complaints I would have to respond to with a lesson about midi!

But you could dedicate a knob to zoom in and out too ? That would solve the resolution problem, wouldn't it ? When zoomed in, you would have a higher resolution.