Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wotja 22 - Generative Music App & Plug-in Host (Free, Pro; AUv3 / VST3)

Comments

• @god said:

@impete said:

@looperboy said:
    Is there a bug in the editor for Sequence-R generator on the iPhone? The editors for Sequence Both and Fixed work fine, but I only seem to be able to delete blocks on the Sequence Rhythm grid. If I set the editor to Draw or Edit, nothing happens. Occasionally a green, rather than blue, graphic appears when I touch an empty box, then vanishes. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi! There are a couple of bugs in the R sequence editor that we're aware of, and are hoping to fix very soon!

Thanks for using Wotja!

With best wishes, Pete

Hey are you automatically receiving crash reports? I’ve had a few. It’s basically only when dealing with AU guests and I suspect it has a lot to do with the age of my device (IPhone 8 Plus) having lower specs and just dies out of memory starvation or something.

Hi!

Yes, we do get them (for the app). I'm not seeing many crashes for iOS or macOS - which is surprising perhaps in your case, but that could be down to the age of your device I suppose, as you say.

With best wishes, Pete

• @impete said:

@god said:

@impete said:

@looperboy said:
    Is there a bug in the editor for Sequence-R generator on the iPhone? The editors for Sequence Both and Fixed work fine, but I only seem to be able to delete blocks on the Sequence Rhythm grid. If I set the editor to Draw or Edit, nothing happens. Occasionally a green, rather than blue, graphic appears when I touch an empty box, then vanishes. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi! There are a couple of bugs in the R sequence editor that we're aware of, and are hoping to fix very soon!

Thanks for using Wotja!

With best wishes, Pete

Hey are you automatically receiving crash reports? I’ve had a few. It’s basically only when dealing with AU guests and I suspect it has a lot to do with the age of my device (IPhone 8 Plus) having lower specs and just dies out of memory starvation or something.

Hi!

Yes, we do get them (for the app). I'm not seeing many crashes for iOS or macOS - which is surprising perhaps in your case, but that could be down to the age of your device I suppose, as you say.

With best wishes, Pete

I see. Thank you! Wotja is awesome 👏🏻

• @god said:
    I see. Thank you! Wotja is awesome 👏🏻

Thank you very much :)

If you ever get the time, do please leave an app store review to let others know! ;)

Best wishes, Pete

• Hi! There are a couple of bugs in the R sequence editor that we're aware of, and are hoping to fix very soon!

Thanks for using Wotja!

With best wishes, Pete

Thanks! Are there any work-arounds for changing the rhythm in the R sequence editor at the moment? Using the Syntax option would be one, I suppose. Is that the only way at the moment?

• @looperboy said:

Thanks for using Wotja!

With best wishes, Pete

Thanks! Are there any work-arounds for changing the rhythm in the R sequence editor at the moment? Using the Syntax option would be one, I suppose. Is that the only way at the moment?

Yes, that is the only option right now!

Pete

• Hi folks,

Wotja 22.1.2 is now available. Please read the release notes; there are a lot of improvements!

https://intermorphic.com/wotja/releases/#v22-1-2

Best wishes, Pete

• @impete said:
    Hi folks,

Wotja 22.1.2 is now available. Please read the release notes; there are a lot of improvements!

Best wishes, Pete

Updated and the AUv3 effects not longer work. With no sound or no effect. AUv3s in the instrument slots work.

Worked fine before the update. Tried deleting, reinstalling and rescanning AUv3s but not change.

It complaining as I’m using the free Lite version, but I figured I’d report it anyway. Tried a hard reset of the iPad too.

Seems something in the update broke AUv3 effects slots.

• edited February 2022

@skiphunt said:

@impete said:
    Hi folks,

Best wishes, Pete

Updated and the AUv3 effects not longer work. With no sound or no effect. AUv3s in the instrument slots work.

Worked fine before the update. Tried deleting, reinstalling and rescanning AUv3s but not change.

It complaining as I’m using the free Lite version, but I figured I’d report it anyway. Tried a hard reset of the iPad too.

Hi Skip,

This is a definite bug - I'll look to fix it ASAP!

Thanks for letting me know,

Best wishes,

Pete

• @looperboy said:

Thanks for using Wotja!

With best wishes, Pete

Hi! This is fixed in the next update, which is 22.1.3 (or later).

Thank you very much for reporting the issue!

Best wishes, Pete

• @impete said:

@skiphunt said:

@impete said:
    Hi folks,

Best wishes, Pete

Hi Skip,

Best wishes,

Pete

Hi Skip, many thanks again for reporting this.

I've isolated the problem and fixed it.

The fix will be in the next update (22.1.3 or later).

Best wishes, Pete

• @impete said:

@impete said:

@skiphunt said:

@impete said:
    Hi folks,

Best wishes, Pete

Hi Skip,

Best wishes,

Pete

Hi Skip, many thanks again for reporting this.

I've isolated the problem and fixed it.

The fix will be in the next update (22.1.3 or later).

Best wishes, Pete

Awesome! I hesitated to mention it since I’m not a subscriber, but I do enjoy playing with the lite version from time to time.

Those melodic generative algorithms you’ve got buried in there are pure magic. :)

• @skiphunt said:
    Awesome! I hesitated to mention it since I’m not a subscriber, but I do enjoy playing with the lite version from time to time.

Those melodic generative algorithms you’ve got buried in there are pure magic. :)

I live in hope that one day you'll be tempted by Wotja 22 Pro :smile:

Many thanks for the kind comment!

It would be lovely if you were able to leave a review for the "Free" Wotja on the iOS store, if you were ever able to find the time.

Best wishes, Pete

• Some of the Templates are playing the wrong instruments on my app suddenly. Is this to do with the update? For example, Ambience Space 2 from the BP2 Backing pak has lost the synth for the bass notes and plays a loud clanging piano now. Quite a few of the ambiences in that pak do the same thing.

• @looperboy said:
    Some of the Templates are playing the wrong instruments on my app suddenly. Is this to do with the update? For example, Ambience Space 2 from the BP2 Backing pak has lost the synth for the bass notes and plays a loud clanging piano now. Quite a few of the ambiences in that pak do the same thing.

Fixed in 22.1.3, in review now :smile:

Best. Wishes, Pete

• Thanks! 🙏

• @skiphunt said:

Where did you learn how to use them and do you have a pointer (other than the manual) to demo/tutorial

BTW Hi @skiphunt

• edited February 2022

What is the method for hearing only the Follower generators, and making the generator they are following silent? I can’t get that to work. Do the Followers have to be on a separate MIDI channel?

• edited February 2022

@audiblevideo said:

@skiphunt said:

Where did you learn how to use them and do you have a pointer (other than the manual) to demo/tutorial

BTW Hi @skiphunt

Hi! :)

I don’t have any inside track on Wotja or anything. This is all I do. I create an empty session. Then I pick one of the many templates that come with Wotja and load it.

Those are all very good on their own, but to make it more “mine” I change the instrument to one of my other AUv3s. Then I start making changes to the various chain parameters.

Before you could load your own AUs, I’d send the midi out from Wotja to AUM, apeMatrix, or AuriaPro to drive other synths etc.

What I’m complementing the developer on are the generative algorithms in the chains and base melodies they create. They’re almost always interesting and pleasing to my ear. That is, until I make bumbling errors in what I choose to point them at. ;)

• @looperboy said:
    What is the method for hearing only the Follower generators, and making the generator they are following silent? I can’t get that to work. Do the Followers have to be on a separate MIDI channel?

If you don’t want the Follower to share the same voice as the Leader then, yes, the two need to be on separate midi channels.

The most direct way to silence the leader is to add an Amplifier unit at the end of the Generator FX slot and turn it down to zero. Like in the attached file.

If it’s going to stay silent for the whole mix it’s also best practice to clear the synth definition for that voice and set it’s polyphony to 1 to stop it from using resources it doesn’t need.

Alternatively, if you want to do it the old school way, you can use the volume envelopes in the Generator settings. Set that (and it’s associated Change and Change range envelopes) to zero will set channel volume (midi CC 7) to zero. Which is useful if you don’t want the Leader to be silent for the full duration of the mix.

• edited February 2022

Thanks, so if the Followers and Leaders share a voice does that mean they also share the volume? Here is the source of my confusion: using the mixing panel, all the Followers have an individual volume and pan setting, even if they’re using the same voice as the Leader. But if I turn the Leader volume to zero in the mixer, the Followers go silent too.

• @looperboy said:
    Thanks, so if the Followers and Leaders share a voice does that mean they also share the volume? Here is the source of my confusion: using the mixing panel, all the Followers have an individual volume and pan setting, even if they’re using the same voice as the Leader. But if I turn the Leader volume to zero in the mixer, the Followers go silent too.

There are separate level mixers for Generators

And Tracks (which affect all Generators in the track)

However, Mark is talking about setting the Volume Envelopes for each generator:

Best wishes,

Pete

• @looperboy said:
    Thanks, so if the Followers and Leaders share a voice does that mean they also share the volume?

Yes.

The mixer is controlling the midi messages, not the audio. If two of more generators (of any type) share a voice they are all on the same midi channel. So turning one down there will turn them all down.

If you want generators to share a voice but have different levels from each other you can use their velocity envelopes to limit their range relative to each other.

In some pieces I sometimes use a fixed sequence as the leader but only want to hear its Follower (so you hear an “implied “ sequence) so I set the velocity envelope of the Leader to zero to silence it without affecting the volume of the Follower on the same channel.

Hope that makes sense!

• Brilliant! Thank you!!

• Oooh! I've just found that I can use the Wotja AUv3 on macOS, using Reaper - as an alternative to Logic Pro.

Very nice :)

Pete

• @impete
    Whilst I welcome the rapid fixing of bugs in Wotja, I really do wish that you'd do more thorough bug fixing pre-release, and with a wider group of beta testers. Lot's of folk here on the AB forum are very generous with their time testing apps (managed via TestFlight).

We're in the 7th week of the new year, and critical bugs are still being fixed. This is a real issue for what is effectively an annual subscription (if you want to stay using the latest version of Wotja each year, whilst taking advantage of the advanced payment discount).

Apologies if this sounds a little harsh but we're fast approaching March.

• edited February 2022

@jonmoore said:
    @impete
    Whilst I welcome the rapid fixing of bugs in Wotja, I really do wish that you'd do more thorough bug fixing pre-release, and with a wider group of beta testers. Lot's of folk here on the AB forum are very generous with their time testing apps (managed via TestFlight).

We're in the 7th week of the new year, and critical bugs are still being fixed. This is a real issue for what is effectively an annual subscription (if you want to stay using the latest version of Wotja each year, whilst taking advantage of the advanced payment discount).

Apologies if this sounds a little harsh but we're fast approaching March.

Hi Jon,

Many thanks for your message.

We test Wotja as thoroughly as we can, and have built-up an extensive suite of automated tests.

However, the simple fact of the matter is that we are just one developer (me), and there are approximately half a million lines of code to manage, across 4 major platforms (iOS, macOS, Windows, Android).

Adding support in Wotja 22 for plug-in hosting has been a very complex endeavour - work on this started back in March last year. We've found a lot of oddities with behaviours of different plug-ins - it was impossible to foresee just how many, frankly! - and that has simply taken a lot of work to process.

On top of that - we added support for VST3 for Windows. Again, from this we found a very wide variety of behaviours in the various plug-in host DAWs on Windows; thankfully, we have a big base of customers (some of whom are now Beta testers!) who have been kind enough to help us work through the various issues.

So: what we undertook for Wotja 22 is not for the faint hearted :)

Thank you for your ongoing support, and patience, it is much appreciated.

Best wishes, Pete

• I initially purchased Wotja 22 Pro, and it worked without problems in both my iPad Pro and my Mac M1.

Then, an update broke the compatibility, making Logic to freeze trying to scan the AUv3 plugin when you start the program.

I was forced to uninstall the program in my Mac, even when having a Mac version was the sole reason to make the purchase.

Now after some updates, I have installed Wotja 22 Pro again.

The current Mac OS version will always display an annoying pop-up window saying Please Check Storage, every single time that I open the app or that I try to navigate through the different projects. But I have enough free storage, 189 GB available on my hard disk. So I suppose that this is other bug.

I will say that Wotja 22 is an impressive product, in its iOS version.

But I regret of having paid to be the beta tester of a Mac version in which every update tends to break a functionality or it introduces a new bug.

Specially for an app in which I will only obtain one year of updates, before paying again. Which is fine, and a price model that I defend. But only if the app is able to work as intended in the course of this year.

• edited February 2022

@Pynchon said:
    The current Mac OS version will always display an annoying pop-up window saying Please Check Storage, every single time that I open the app or that I try to navigate through the different projects. But I have enough free storage, 189 GB available on my hard disk. So I suppose that this is other bug.

That is a new issue, so far as I'm aware.

The alert is shown when the Document screen displays; it verifies that it is possible to write to the file system at that point in time; and reports back if not.

If I recall correctly, I think I added that check a few years ago, in response to some issues on Android.

If you're able to open and save documents satisfactorily, then I really can't see (looking at the code) how you could be getting that message!

Are you using iCloud storage with Wotja, or local document storage?

Best wishes, Pete

• @impete said:

@Pynchon said:

That is a new issue, so far as I'm aware.

The alert is shown when the Document screen displays; it verifies that it is possible to write to the file system at that point in time; and reports back if not.

If I recall correctly, I think I added that check a few years ago, in response to some issues on Android.

If you're able to open and save documents satisfactorily, then I really can't see (looking at the code) how you could be getting that message!

Are you using iCloud storage with Wotja, or local document storage?

Best wishes, Pete

I deactivated the iCloud storage on the iPad version.

And in the current Mac version, I can't even see the option for deactivating iCloud in the General settings.

And yes, I'm able to open documents. But it's annoying having this window every time that I open the app or the AUv3 plugin.

• @Pynchon said:
    I deactivated the iCloud storage on the iPad version.

And in the current Mac version, I can't even see the option for deactivating iCloud in the General settings.

And yes, I'm able to open documents. But it's annoying having this window every time that I open the app or the AUv3 plugin.

Ok, many thanks for that. I’ll need to set up a custom macOS virtual machine to see if I can reproduce this.

I’ll try to do that once I’ve had a short break.

iCloud storage on macOS is configured via System Preferences. If you enable it, it is available for all apps. That might resolve your problem in the near term?

Best wishes, Pete