Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3.4 adding Ableton Link Support and more is available

LFSLFS
edited February 2022 in General App Discussion

Dear all,

Hopefully you are all well.

Today we are very pleased to announce the immediate release of Cubasis 3.4, which brings the long-awaited Ableton Link support alongside adding numerous workflow and performance improvements.

How to Sync Cubasis with Ableton Link | What You Can Do with Cubasis

In addition, Cubasis is currently available at a 40% discount and its in-app purchases at a 50% discount as part of the Steinberg New Year Deals promotion, which has been extended until Feb 14, 2022.

Download Cubasis on the App Store

Attached and below, please find more details about the new features and improvements included in this update.

We hope you like Cubasis 3.4.
If you do, please support us by rating the app in the App Store!

Enjoy making music
& stay safe and sound,
Lars

Comments

• LFSLFS
    edited February 2022

What's New in Cubasis 3.4

・Ableton Link Support
    Make Cubasis on multiple iPad, iPhone and Android devices play in time together. Jam with others who run Link-enabled apps on their devices. Sync Cubasis with multiple applications on the same device… and much more. The sky’s the limit. No matter if you are using iOS, Android, desktop or hardware: Ableton Link support in Cubasis makes staying synchronised with other Link-enabled apps easy and effortless. Simply enable Link and join the party.

・MIDI Recording Workflow Improvements
    Ready to capture your latest idea? Cubasis 3.4 adds many features to make life easier for you. A long tap on the locator range lets you instantly place the locators in a new position to quickly start your recording. Use the Chord Buttons to instantly create great-sounding chord sequences at your finger tips, while recording melodies in one go. You want to find out how your pad sequence sounds at half speed? Sure thing. MIDI time-stretch lets you easily find out via a few simple taps. That's what makes Cubasis one of a kind when it comes to usability. It’s made by musicians for musicians.

・State Save / Total Recall Improvements
    Polishing musical ideas to professional-sounding songs is often a matter of multiple sessions. Cubasis 3.4 makes sure you will find the project in the exact same state as when you left the app last time. The editors remember the zoom level and position for each audio and MIDI event, allowing you to instantly continue with your edits. The same goes for the arranger, the mixer channel width, the setup choices you've made and more. Do you prefer being creative instead of wasting time? So do we. That’s why we’ve got you covered with Cubasis 3.4, to help you keep polishing your songs to perfection from right where you left off.

・75+ Improvements
    While there are many DAW apps available on the market, there is only one Cubasis app that pairs powerful features with unmatched usability. And it offers so much more. Cubasis 3.4 adds more than 75 improvements, ensuring the highest performance and rock-solid stability to help you capture your ideas and polish them into professional-sounding songs. Trust us, you will love the latest version of the multi-award winning Cubasis 3!

• A W E S O M E

• LFSLFS
    edited February 2022

Cubasis 3.4 Version History

・New Features & General Improvements
    CBT-1662 Ableton Link
    CBT-54 Keyboard chord buttons
    CBT-2741 MIDI time-stretching
    CBT-2345 Multi-core processing on iOS has been drastically improved.
    CBT-2732 Latency setup options have been improved for ease of use.
    CBT-2916 Zoom Panel setup option added for phones.
    CBT-2703 Audiobus SDK updated to V3.0.15
    CBT-138 Playhead scrubbing option added to setup.
    CBT-1895 Arranger, mixer and editor view settings are now properly saved with the project.
    CBT-2206 Mixdown options are now saved with the project.
    CBT-853 Long press on the the left and right locator area allows to move the locator range.
    CBT-2677 Keyboard shortcuts added for rewind/forward reeling (Alt/+/Alt/-).
    CBT-2243 Tapping a track in the arranger now scrolls the mixer to the selected track and vice versa.
    CBT-2845 The range of the keyboard shortcut for horizontal zoom has been increased.
    CBT-1973 Demo songs now have auto-stretched enabled.

・Arrange Window & Inspector
    CBT-2561 Solves an issue where the first note is ignored during cycle recording if auto-quantize is activated.
    CBT-2524 Notepad scrolling on iOS now works as expected again.
    CBT-2662 Routing a MIDI effect track to another track no longer causes double notes.
    CBT-2843 Resolves a phenomenon where notes at the cycle start are not played or recorded, if auto-quantize is enabled.
    CBT-2748 Drag and drop of a MIDI file onto an existing track no longer changes its instrument.
    CBT-2602 Precount settings are now properly transmitted to Audio Unit plug-ins.
    CBT-350 Resolves a problem concerning audible audio artefacts during playback on iPhone 7, iPhone 8 and iPhone X.
    CBT-2191 Switching to another app with background audio enabled no longer leads to audio artefacts during playback.
    CBT-2890 Fixes an issue where the monitoring latency can increase after some time.
    CBT-2672 Paste now only selects the pasted events.
    CBT-1002 Copy and paste buttons now give longer visual feedback.
    CBT-2749 MIDI learn of a button that sends CC as R/W now works as expected.
    CBT-2688 Resolves a phenomenon where recorded audio isn't played back if MIDI tracks are record-enabled.
    CBT-2779 Fixes a rare issue where deleting the first track can render Cubasis unreliable.
    CBT-1247 Resolves a serious problem where frequently using undo can render Cubasis unreliable.
    CBT-2765 The states of certain Audio Unit plug-ins are now saved properly, preventing a parameter reset.
    CBT-2603 Vertical inspector scrolling is now locked when moving a slider.
    CBT-2699 Resolves a rare issue where the rewind button did not work.
    CBT-2735 Cancelling track freeze no longer leads to soloed track playback.
    CBT-1260 Fixes an issue where loading different projects can randomly lead to empty audio events.
    CBT-314 Changing audio event volumes via the middle event handle is now immediately applied during playback.
    CBT-2640 Resolves a problem where Micrologue ARP loses sync during cycle playback.
    CBT-2548 MIDI file import of CC data that doesn't start at the beginning of the song now works as expected.
    CBT-2752 Notepad now properly shows the lowest lines of text.
    CBT-1018 Resolves a problem where audio continues to play after undo removed the actual event.
    CBT-1239 Muting an audio event is now applied during playback in real-time.
    CBT-756 Shortening an audio event's length during playback no longer leads to audio artefacts.
    CBT-2383 Resolves a rare problem where the recording spinning wheel remains in stop and playback mode.
    CBT-1149 Resolves a problem where moving or resizing a MIDI event can lead to silence.
    CBT-317 Fade-in/out handle changes are now audible in real-time.
    CBT-40 Resolves a problem with hanging notes when unmuting a MIDI event.
    CBT-1257 Unmuting a MIDI track no longer results in playback of previous notes.
    CBT-1226 Fixes a rare issue where unsoloing an audio track can lead to a loud noise burst.
    CBT-2319 Unsoloing a track in stop mode no longer leads to playback of buffered audio.
    CBT-2837 Fixes a problem where stopping the playback can lead to hanging notes.
    CBT-2850 Disabling record-enable during recording no longer leads to a hanging spinning wheel.
    CBT-2032 Using redo in specific situations no longer renders Cubasis unreliable.
    CBT-2976 The performance of moving an event in a project containing many events has been improved.
    CBT-1035 Notes of events on a MIDI track are now vertically positioned correctly in relation to each other.
    CBT-2696 Resolves a rare issue where very long sessions could render Cubasis unreliable.

・MediaBay
    CBT-2861 Resolves a phenomenon, where loading specific projects can render Cubasis unreliable.
    CBT-2683 Resolves a problem, where importing a Cubasis 2 project can render the app unreliable.
    CBT-1960 Resolves a rare problem, where loading a project or opening the MediaBay can render Cubasis unreliable.
    CBT-2724 Resolves a problem where choosing an existing project's name when renaming can cause damaged projects.
    CBT-2255 Restored projects will no longer be damaged if a project with the same name already exists.
    CBT-2814 Fixes an issue, where auto-save does not work when sharing a project.
    CBT-2682 Creating a MIDI mixdown of a multi-track project with soloed tracks now works as expected.
    CBT-1945 MediaBay sorting by date now works as expected.
    CBT-1126 Cancelling a mixdown no longer leads to playback of audio snippets.
    CBT-1788 Mixdown between locators no longer leads to playback of audio snippets.
    CBT-2937 The user is now informed when trying to email a project without an email account.
    CBT-2744 Fixes an issue on some Android devices where mixdown files could not be accessed.

・Time-stretching
    CBT-1205 Changing tempo of a project which contains auto-stretched audio events no longer pauses playback.
    CBT-2360 Time-stretched events no longer lead to DSP peaks at cycle points.
    CBT-2132 Fixes an issue where playing back time-stretched audio files can lead to audible artefacts.
    CBT-2801 Fixes a serious issue where changing the tempo of a project containing time-stretched events can lead to unwanted audio event changes.

・Instruments and Effects
    CBT-2027 Holding a Micrologue note during a cycle point no longer leads to audio crackling.
    CBT-2668 Closing the note repeat panel now turns note repeat off.
    CBT-2116 MIDI effect automation now works as expected.
    CBT-2827 Waves and Audio Unit plug-in settings are now properly saved when closing Cubasis.
    CBT-1992 Rearranging MIDI effects on iPhone now works as expected.
    CBT-2727 Fixes a problem where moving an Audio Unit effect can lead to a change in sound.
    CBT-2615 Using the Tape Delay feedback control now works as expected.
    CBT-2767 Fixes an issue where some Audio Unit MIDI effects don't trigger sound if the playhead is at the beginning of the song.
    CBT-2691 Pressing F3 having Microsonic Ooh Choirs loaded no longer leads to hanging notes.
    CBT-1071 MIDI panic now also works for instruments on muted tracks.
    CBT-2686 Fixes an issue where mixdown of Micrologue automation results in audible artefacts.
    CBT-2649 Fixes an issue on some iPads where a pink background was visible when resizing Waves plug-ins.
    CBT-2751 Freezing empty tracks where only an Audio Unit effect plug-in generates sound is now possible.
    CBT-2889 Resolves an issue where using Micrologue and certain effects could render Cubasis unreliable.
    CBT-2697 Resolves an issue where some notes of certain Microsonic instruments had audible artefacts on Chrome OS.

・Editors
    CBT-2679 MIDI editor and zoom scroll positions of events are now saved with the project.
    CBT-2904 Resolves a problem where automation of some Audio Unit parameters is not played back.
    CBT-2968 Fixes a rare issue in the audio editor where the right locator disappears and edits are ignored.
    CBT-2836 Fixes a rare issue where mute automation could render Cubasis unreliable.

・Miscellaneous
    CBT-2279 Resolves a problem where the use of Audio Engine Latency (Guard Buffer) can lead to unwanted monitoring delays.
    CBT-2698 Resolves a rare problem where changing the Audio Engine Latency settings can render Cubasis unreliable.
    CBT-2058 Using recording offset calibration no longer increases monitoring and MIDI input latency.
    CBT-2317 MIDI clock song position calculation has been fixed, when sending a song position MIDI message.
    CBT-2746 Temporary files are now properly deleted at app launch.
    CBT-2971 Resolves a rare issue where Cubasis can render unreliable when closing the app.
    CBT-1959 Fixes an issue on Android where purchasing Micrologue ARP can render Cubasis unreliable.

• Oh my. Link is killer. The rest looks great as well. 👍👍👊👊

• LFSLFS
    edited February 2022

How to Sync Cubasis with Ableton Link | What You Can Do with Cubasis

• wimwim
    edited February 2022

Wow! Awesome! Thank you!

• Great update, I’m having an issue though, can anyone else verify? I’m trying to mixdown separate files for each track so I can import into a desktop daw to mix but all the files have no sound. A stereo mixdown is fine but nothing when trying to export stems.

• Shite!

That’s a looong list of fixes including many I’ve bumped in to 😎

This update also fixes the mute & count-in Issues I’ve had with the SunVox 2 update.
    I’ll let the dev know it’s likely fixed in the 3.4 update.

Thanks to @LFS and his team for the update…
    (Still wish to see the Cubase sample-track surface some day)

Take Care & Stay Safe!
    /Samuel

• Nice.. Thanks… Got to run.. 😊

• edited February 2022

Ableton Link - hurray. Finally AUM and Cubasis in sync without any strange workarounds. Wow, this is a huge amount of tickets. Chapeau!

• Cool update! Some long awaited fixes in there! Thank you!

• @Strizbiz said:
    Great update, I’m having an issue though, can anyone else verify? I’m trying to mixdown separate files for each track so I can import into a desktop daw to mix but all the files have no sound. A stereo mixdown is fine but nothing when trying to export stems.

Hi @Strizbiz,

Thanks for your message.
    We are able to reproduce the problem, and aim to soon release an update which will resolve the issue.

Best wishes,
    Lars

• @AlterEgo_UK said:
    Cool update! Some long awaited fixes in there! Thank you!

Thank you @AlterEgo_UK

• @krassmann said:
    Ableton Link - hurray. Finally AUM and Cubasis in sync without any strange workarounds. Wow, this is a huge amount of tickets. Chapeau!

Hi @krassmann,

Indeed, next to all new feature editions the team put in lots of efforts adding and resolving as many as possible user-requested improvements and fixes.

We hope you enjoy the new version!

Best,
    Lars

• @Samu said:
    Shite!

That’s a looong list of fixes including many I’ve bumped in to 😎

This update also fixes the mute & count-in Issues I’ve had with the SunVox 2 update.
    I’ll let the dev know it’s likely fixed in the 3.4 update.

Thanks to @LFS and his team for the update…
    (Still wish to see the Cubase sample-track surface some day)

Take Care & Stay Safe!
    /Samuel

Thanks @Samu!

• Finally. Thanks for the work.

On pc I quit using cubase for the mighty Bitwig but on IOS this app is a no brainier

• @LFS said:

@Strizbiz said:
    Great update, I’m having an issue though, can anyone else verify? I’m trying to mixdown separate files for each track so I can import into a desktop daw to mix but all the files have no sound. A stereo mixdown is fine but nothing when trying to export stems.

Hi @Strizbiz,

Thanks for your message.
    We are able to reproduce the problem, and aim to soon release an update which will resolve the issue.

Best wishes,
    Lars

👍🏽

• Woo, impressive list of changes. Thank you!

• Now, if only we could convince the developer of Auria to implement Ableton Link, we could use both DAW's synced together, Cubasis for AUv3 hosting, mixing and multicore processing and Auria for its Ableton like elastic audio (brought into Cubasis via IAA).

As things stand I'm considering hooking up Xequence 2 and Cubasis 3, that could make for very interesting bedfellows, especially when it comes to Xequence 2's new (in beta) MPE recording and editing features.

As has already been mentioned, AUM and apeMatrix integration via Link will be very cool too.

Ableton Link is such a welcome addition (and it must be said, unexpected addition, given the rivalry between Steinberg and Ableton).

It's great to see a DAW from Steinberg enter into the fray of modular audio production on iOS devices.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @LFS

Currently I’m up to my eyeballs in a 40 track album.
    Most of the fixes that you’ve listed are greatly welcome and with Ableton now included
    it’s going to be a joy to finish of my current tracks and creating more in the future.

Thank you.

🙏🏾

• Couldn’t resist and did some first testing. Linked AUM is nicely synced, start/stop working. But I think I found an issue with recording Midi from linked AUM. The recorded Midi from the linked AUM is one 16th too early no matter which sequencer I‘m using in AUM. This affects only recorded Midi. Playback is perfectly in sync. I will do a proper bug report at the Steinberg forum.

• Great update. Any option for changing the scale of the chords?

• Yay for ableton link.

This might sound like a strange use case but I’m going to find this especially useful when freezing a track fails to render anything close to the original. Cutting up the sample recorded in AUM is always an additional step I find a pain. Just tried it, was able to record a perfect loop first time. Nice.

MIDI stretch is going to save an abandoned project of mine, so this is good news for me. It does not stretch automation data, but I guess since it’s not midi, I wouldn’t expect it to. (CC data is stretched)

Great work, especially on all those pesky bugs.

• @krassmann said:
    Couldn’t resist and did some first testing. Linked AUM is nicely synced, start/stop working. But I think I found an issue with recording Midi from linked AUM. The recorded Midi from the linked AUM is one 16th too early no matter which sequencer I‘m using in AUM. This affects only recorded Midi. Playback is perfectly in sync. I will do a proper bug report at the Steinberg forum.

Hi @krassmann,

As stated in your message, please let me have more details to share it with the team.

Thanks
    Lars

• @LFS

There’s significant improvement in multicore processing on my Air 3.
    Really cool.

• @LFS Regarding the Freeze & Mix-down in Cubasis 3.4.

When using 'Real-time' (SunVox doesn't yet support off-line AUv3 rendering) for Freeze & Mixdown I'm getting some 'crackles' when Multi-core Processing is turned ON, Playback with Multi-core Processing ON is fine though!

I'll test a few other AUv3's but so far almost every single one I've tried gets 'crackles' when using 'Real-time' with Multi-core Processing turned ON. Many do work 'off line' which is quite nice and speeds things up :sunglasses:

This is no biggie but it might help others to trouble shoot freeze/render issues with Cubasis 3.4.

Time to dig deeper into this update...
    Cheers!
    /Samuel

• @Samu try to set the latency as low as possible, that may enable use of the performance cores - otherwise, you may get stuck on the energy saving cores.

Just an idea

• @tja said:

Just an idea

Believe me I've tried all known tricks already :sunglasses:

I have no energy to create lists with AUv3's that support 'off-line rendering/freeze/mix-down' as not too many hosts support it.
    Real-time rendering should in theory work with or without Multi-core Processing as the 'playback' already works fine?!

No biggie, the work-around is good enough for now.

Cheers!

• Thanks for the update, especially for adding ableton link!
    I had a quick dive into it and it worked fine so far.

One thing bothered me: I couldn't find Patterning2 in the IAA-list (works in AUM, LoopyPro-Beta).
    Anyone else has this issue?

So long,
    Hannes