Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

cykle | advanced pattern sequencer now live

Comments

• @cp3 said:
    MIDI program change is the canonical way to change patterns on a MIDI sequencer, but I agree it's obscure and not many apps support sending this MIDI message. I will probably make cykle respond to MIDI pitches to change patterns in an upcoming update, just like polybeat does.

That would be great!! The more time I spend with Cykle it seems like a treasure chest of possibilities. Thanks for responding quickly.

• @laopan said:
    Why does the "length" always affect the next step i choose ? is this the bug or the original design?

I've noticed this as well. If I change a step from, say, 1/8 to 1/4, the next note which looks like it should be 1/4 is still 1/8 but then the following step changes correctly.

• edited February 2022

I’m trying to get Cykle to respond to program changes. Final goal is to map trigger buttons in Drambo to start the different snapshots.
    I have Drambo setup (standalone), and StreamByter puts out program change messages (check with midi monitor) but Cykle doesn’t respond by changing to a different snapshot. I tried the same setup in AUM, a keyboard note to StreamByter to Cykle. A midi monitor shows StreamByter putting out pc messages, by no response in Cykle.
    Routing the StreamByter output to Groove rider makes it change banks, so I’m figuring it should work.
    Any ideas?

• It's worth seeing if the MIDI implementation is the same as it is in Polybeat.

MIDI input

polybeat can be controlled by MIDI, for instance using an external MIDI controller or another app or plugin that sends MIDI. the MIDI mapping is as follows:

select snapshot
    pitches 0-7 (MIDI note input)

select track
    pitches 8-24 (MIDI note input, pitch 8 = track 1, pitch 9 = track 2, etc.)

sequence operations (on currently selected track)
    25 clear
    26 mute
    27 solo
    28 randomize
    29 mutate
    30 shift left
    31 shift right
    32 add
    33 remove
    34 reverse
    35 mirror
    36 duplicate
    37 bisect

• @jonmoore said:
    It's worth seeing if the MIDI implementation is the same as it is in Polybeat.

As of now it’s not. Polybeat I have working, by sending notes to change snapshots. Cykle should work differently, by program change messages to change snapshots. But I seem to not get Cykle to respond to the program change messages.

• @Not1Iota said:
    @jonmoore @Frank303 I think @cp3 (Cykle and Polybeat Dev Corne Driesprong) mentioned this here https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/1042694/#Comment_1042694

Yes, but I believe that I am sending the correct messages, as he states Cykle should listen to Program change messages, and the midi monitor is showing it is receiving those. For example GrooveRider responds to the same messages by changing it banks.

• @Frank303 said:

@jonmoore said:
    It's worth seeing if the MIDI implementation is the same as it is in Polybeat.

As of now it’s not. Polybeat I have working, by sending notes to change snapshots. Cykle should work differently, by program change messages to change snapshots. But I seem to not get Cykle to respond to the program change messages.

I think it makes sense if snapshots were handled in the same manner in both Cykle and Polybeat seeing as they both share so much in common. And seeing as @cp3 mentions he intends to make this change at some point, hopefully, these messages will prompt him to make the change sometime soon.

• new cykle version (1.4) is out! changelog:

• added chromatic and pentatonic scales (finally!)
    • fixed bug where 'length'-sequence would highlight wrong step
    • added ability to trigger snapshots with MIDI-pitches 0-7
    • added ability to drag-and-reorder sequences
    • added bipolar slider for pitch bend sequence
    • added tip jar to support future development
    • various small improvements and bugfixes
  • Awesome! Thanks, @cp3 :heart:

• @cp3 Cool! 😎 Thank you.. 🙏

• Thanks, @cp3 :heart:
    @cp3 Cool! 😎 Thank you.. 🙏

Excellent news!! I've been looking forward to this and I will definitely send a tip!

• Excellent!

• cp3cp3
    edited March 2022

another small update! (1.4.1)

• fixes crash when duplicating snapshots
    • wait until end of pitch sequence before switching snapshots (can be disabled in settings)

• If I have two or more pitch sequences, is it possible to have them both send notes at once? (I’m thinking about shifting chord patterns…)

• edited April 2022

Can someone help a brother out with snapshot triggering?

I have an Atom clip sending C-1 and C#-1 to cykle. These should be midi notes 0 and 1 I think. I have two snapshots, A and B in cykle both with midi in set to arp. When I manually touch B cykle reverts back to A and then sticks there.

iPhone version

[update]
    I was able to trigger cykle snapshots with the AUM keyboard and with Rozeta cells. Not sure what’s going on with Atom.

• edited February 2023

Cykle looks like a killer sequencer, however I've failed to get a single midi note from it. It doesn't want to play Amimoog Z or others, and no midi appears in Logic Pro or Ableton Live, via IDAM or Ableton Link (no green bar). Please, is someone able to tell me what I am doing wrong, all my numerous other midi toys are working fine. I've tried removing and re-installing Cykle to no avail. I've even tried a wee dram in the vague hope that this may help ease something in my mind. I've yet to try AUM, as IDAM is my usual workflow.

Thank you in anticipation.

Phil.

• @Unitiqute2 Did you set the MIDI port and Output Channel at the bottom? And it's easier to set up as an AUv3 plugin.

@cp3 Notice how the pull-up panel at the bottom is cut-off on my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5? Can you fix this please?

• Thank you StudioES.

I think I tried that, but I'll try again.

• cp3cp3
    edited February 2023

@Unitiqute2 said:
    Thank you StudioES.

I think I tried that, but I'll try again.

Selecting "IDAM MIDI host" as the Output destination should route that channel's MIDI to your IDAM MIDI output. Can you confirm if this works for you @Unitiqute2?

• Thank you cp3, selecting IDAM MIDI host as the outupt destination worked. Now for some much anticipated fun with Cykle.

• Hi @cp3 ! I've been using Cykle quite a lot lately. I've got a possible bug and a few ideas for you

First a bug(?): if I have data entered in a sequence (say, 16 steps of pitch) then drag the handle to shorten the sequence, if I then extend the handle again all of the data I entered is erased and set back to default. This isn't what I expect—I'd like to be able to pre-compose a sequence and then modify how much of the sequence I'm playing.

The second thing is a big one for me: I'd love to see AU parameters for things like sequence length, rotate, mutate etc. I'm using Cykle in live performance hosted in AUM. Most of the time I'm working with a modular synth and MIDI controller. I'd like to be able to control Cykle from my main instrument. Cykle is great for composing on the iPad, but for performance the iPad screen is really not the best. Exposing parameters means I could map these performance functions to my MIDI controller and be able to stay in the flow with my hardware.

Finally a quality of life thing: could it be possible to re-order snapshots? This could be by drag & drop, copy/paste etc. There's no way (that I've found at least) to take existing snapshots and place them in a different order. After a composing session I end up doing a lot of manual re-entering to get things in an order that makes sense for performance.

Thanks! Love Cykle! It's such a great addition to my sequencing setup.

• @trevormeier said:
    First a bug(?): if I have data entered in a sequence (say, 16 steps of pitch) then drag the handle to shorten the sequence, if I then extend the handle again all of the data I entered is erased and set back to default. This isn't what I expect—I'd like to be able to pre-compose a sequence and then modify how much of the sequence I'm playing.

this was by design (if you shorten a sequence the steps get deleted), but I see your point! I'll see if it's feasible.

The second thing is a big one for me: I'd love to see AU parameters for things like sequence length, rotate, mutate etc. I'm using Cykle in live performance hosted in AUM. Most of the time I'm working with a modular synth and MIDI controller. I'd like to be able to control Cykle from my main instrument. Cykle is great for composing on the iPad, but for performance the iPad screen is really not the best. Exposing parameters means I could map these performance functions to my MIDI controller and be able to stay in the flow with my hardware.

not sure how to go about this, since the sequences are dynamic, so it's hard to map them to fixed AU parameters. maybe some kind of MIDI learn system, I'll give it some thought.

Finally a quality of life thing: could it be possible to re-order snapshots? This could be by drag & drop, copy/paste etc. There's no way (that I've found at least) to take existing snapshots and place them in a different order. After a composing session I end up doing a lot of manual re-entering to get things in an order that makes sense for performance.

I'm thinking about some kind of song mode for cykle, so it would be nice to be able to reorder snapshots. I'll start working on an update soon, so I'll look into it!

Thanks! Love Cykle! It's such a great addition to my sequencing setup.

:smiley:

• Amazing @cp3 !! Thank you for all of your work. Excited to see what you come up with!

• new cykle update (1.5) out now!

https://youtube.com/shorts/aPNBkDvIXzU

• song mode
    • playback modes per sequence (forward, backward, random, jump)
    • on/off-switch for sequence lanes
    • 'harmonize' sequence type
    • additional scales
    • additional presets
    • various bugfixes & improvements
  • godgod
    edited May 2023

Hitting the arrow buttons “< >” in the song mode window crashes the plugin for me in NS2

• @cp3 Awesome! cykle is so much fun already.. Love the new playback modes, harmonize + on/off switches (per lane).. Extra scales are a bonus + song mode will be super useful.. will also check out the new presets when I’m done playing around with the new stuff.. 😁 thank you very much.. 🙏

• I love cykle - great unexpected update! Very neat variable timeline sequencing, thanks!

I can confirm

@god said:
    Hitting the arrow buttons “< >” in the song mode window crashes the plugin for me in NS2

For me this occurs in AUM too but only if the timeline is empty.

• ohh... too bad the update is iOS 13 :open_mouth: