Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wotja 22 - Generative Music App & Plug-in Host (Free, Pro; AUv3 / VST3)

Comments

• edited January 2022

@UMCorps said:
    I can’t duplicate that here on a 4th gen iPad Air running 15.2.1. Will test on an older model later.

Now tested on 6th gen iPad. Still no issues here that I can reproduce.

• @ltf3 said:
    Is it just me or in iOS15.2.1 do AU instruments loaded into WJ 22.0.10 just end up with a white screen in the GUI?
    At the start I at least saw the AU GUI but as soon as I touched it , bam it disappeared. Now I get a white pane for any AU I load.
    The AU shows as still loaded… but no audio output from WJ at all . Not even the internal generators.
    Same for me on 2 iPads. Gen 1 pro and 6th gen iPad.

AU’ s work in other hosts .

It looks like it’s the EG Pulse plug in … usually very robust!

I can replicate most easily as follows

Create new empty mix
    Go to plugins and add EG Pulse to any slot. The GUI will appear.
    Tap a control in EG Pulse and the screen goes white.
    Load another plug in and there will be no GUI. Same for all slots.

I was hoping EG Pulse would simply play along with WJ ( with no WJ midi input ) as a ‘backing beat’ to work to. Is this a reasonable expectation?

• @ltf3 said:

I was hoping EG Pulse would simply play along with WJ ( with no WJ midi input ) as a ‘backing beat’ to work to. Is this a reasonable expectation?

I’m not familiar with EG Pulse but I’ve certainly used Playbeat in Wotja running independently (apart from receiving timing clock) to give a rhythmic bed so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect the same from similar apps.

• edited January 2022

I've noticed an issue where Wotja keeps running in background even though I closed out of it. I can see its midi ports visible in a brand new AUM session. iPad Pro 11 2nd Generation, 15.1

• @auxmux said:
    I've noticed an issue where Wotja keeps running in background even though I closed out of it. I can see its midi ports visible in a brand new AUM session. iPad Pro 11 2nd Generation, 15.1

Hi! I simply can't see how that could happen. If Wotja is closed, it'll stop playing. NB Wotja does work when backgrounded; I can only presume that is actually what happened.

Best wishes, Pete

• The reworked Wotja plug-in scanner takes shape...

Pete

• Hello folks!

Wotja 22.1.0 is now available - I hope you like what we've done with the plug-in scanner!

Best wishes, Pete

• Just a heads up so you don’t get caught like me!

Updated Wotja to 22.1 and immediately opened a Cubasis 3 project ( with WJ as the MIDI source of course) that I’d been working on … and chaos! My heart sank… aghhhh….

I messed around with MIDI routing, rebooted iPad … 2 cups of coffee…all the stuff … until I noticed that the WJ plugin wasn’t running in Pro mode any more!

I launched the standalone WJ App and it went to Pro, after which so did the AU Plugin.

Peace in the house restored!

Going to lay in the snow for a bit… 😊

• @impete said:
    Hello folks!

Wotja 22.1.0 is now available - I hope you like what we've done with the plug-in scanner!

Best wishes, Pete

I liked it! ❤️ thanks, Pete!

• Hey guys, is there a good resource where I can learn Wotja as far as getting started? I have the free version, but really want to go in on the iOS paid version, however I’d like to really dive into it a few times first.

• @god said:

@impete said:
    Hello folks!

Best wishes, Pete

I liked it! ❤️ thanks, Pete!

Thank you very much :)

Pete

• @HotStrange said:
    Hey guys, is there a good resource where I can learn Wotja as far as getting started? I have the free version, but really want to go in on the iOS paid version, however I’d like to really dive into it a few times first.

Hi! Please look here - I hope it helps!

https://intermorphic.com/wotja/tutorials/

Best wishes, Pete

• @impete said:

@HotStrange said:
    Hey guys, is there a good resource where I can learn Wotja as far as getting started? I have the free version, but really want to go in on the iOS paid version, however I’d like to really dive into it a few times first.

Hi! Please look here - I hope it helps!

https://intermorphic.com/wotja/tutorials/

Best wishes, Pete

Hey thanks a ton for this! I’ll be diving into it over the next couple days. It seems so powerful but it’s a completely new way of working for me, so this will help a ton.

• @HotStrange said:
    Hey thanks a ton for this! I’ll be diving into it over the next couple days. It seems so powerful but it’s a completely new way of working for me, so this will help a ton.

Happy to help :)

Pete

• @impete Just to let you know, I decided to stick with the iOS/macOS versions of 22 for now, as AUv3 is a more standardized plugin format (I’m more likely to get predictable results). Win 10 may be my main production platform but iOS is the place where I dabble for pleasure.

• @jonmoore said:
    @impete Just to let you know, I decided to stick with the iOS/macOS versions of 22 for now, as AUv3 is a more standardized plugin format (I’m more likely to get predictable results). Win 10 may be my main production platform but iOS is the place where I dabble for pleasure.

I'm really pleased to hear that you're sticking with Wotja, on whatever platforms you choose :smile:

Very glad to have you along for the ride!

With best wishes, Pete

• I made a thing.

Wotja provides some pretty ambience. Strega has other ideas.

• @UMCorps said:
    I made a thing.

Wotja provides some pretty ambience. Strega has other ideas.

Now you have to explain how it works :)

Pete

• Tricky! Strega is left deliberately obscure so you have to find out what it does by playing with it. But I never was a big fan of manuals anyway :)

• @UMCorps said:
    Tricky! Strega is left deliberately obscure so you have to find out what it does by playing with it. But I never was a big fan of manuals anyway :)

That is suitably Koan-esque, really :)

What is the sound of Strega with Wotja?

Pete

• edited February 2022

Can anyone help me understand how the Scale Rules and the Next Note Rules interact? And what they do that is different from each other? I’m struggling a bit to fully understand that. They seem to do a version of the same thing, but also affect each other. Very confusing! (I’ve read the User Guide 3 times, but I’m still not grasping this feature).

• @looperboy said:
    Can anyone help me understand how the Scale Rules and the Next Note Rules interact? And what they do that is different from each other? I’m struggling a bit to fully understand that. They seem to do a version of the same thing, but also affect each other. Very confusing! (I’ve read the User Guide 3 times, but I’m still not grasping this feature).

Hi!

The only way to figure this out, is to play with it :)

1) Scale Rule

https://intermorphic.com/wotja/22/engine/music/#wme-generator-rule-scale

Start by setting-up an empty mix.
    Add a simple Rhythmic generator to one cell.
    Then, look at the Scale Rule editor.

Edit your scale rule to allow all notes in the scale.

Hear what happens as you turn-off some of the sliders - you'll hear that only the notes that you "allow" through the sliders are played.

2) Next Note Rule

https://intermorphic.com/wotja/22/engine/music/#wme-generator-rule-next-note

Next, set your scale rule to allow all notes in the scale again.

Then, look at the Next Note rule editor.

Set the next note rule so that only one of the items is available - try the m2 value.

You'll hear that as each note is composed, it is one semitone away from the other.

So, Next Note Rule tells Wotja how "far away" (in semitone terms) the note is from the last one. Enabled a few more sliders - you'll hear that as Wotja has more options, it opens-up what can be composed.

Now go back to the Scale rule, and hear the difference again as you change it.

Hoping that helps!

Pete

• edited February 2022

Hi Pete

Thanks for replying so quickly. Interestingly, that is the very technique I’ve been experimenting with, but here is my confusion:

Using the method you describe, i thought the note should continue to progress by one semitone, constantly. But it seems to, instead, alternate repeatedly between those two same notes. Is that what should happen? And if it is, why is that different from just having those two notes available in the Scale Rule, and having no Next Note Rule?

I’m aware it’s ME who is failing to understand something here, and the Next Note Rule is vital. I’m just struggling to grasp it.

In my opinion, WME as a musical instrument is a masterpiece: a twenty-first-Century equivalent of the Stradivarius. I only hope I can learn to play it :).

• Next Note works in both directions. So m2 could be either a semitone up or down from the current note.

What’s possibly happening is that the harmony rule or the “harmonise with others” option is forcing the note selection down, because another semitone up from the current note would be “unharmonic”?

It’s tricky in the way that range and the scale, nn and harmony rules combine, both at generator and at mix level makes it hard to nail things down.

• @UMCorps said:
    Next Note works in both directions. So m2 could be either a semitone up or down from the current note.

Thanks Mark! Yes, I really should have mentioned that!

I hope that helps!!

Pete

• Ah...That seems to be it working now! A combination of the problems mentioned above, and a mix-up between the Cell Rule and Mix Rule when I was adjusting things. I think I need to study the Rule Editor more, especially when I start by selecting a new Standard Rule. Sometimes it’s been going into Cell instead of Mix, I think.

Thanks for all the help! 🙏

• @looperboy said:
    Ah...That seems to be it working now! A combination of the problems mentioned above, and a mix-up between the Cell Rule and Mix Rule when I was adjusting things. I think I need to study the Rule Editor more, especially when I start by selecting a new Standard Rule. Sometimes it’s been going into Cell instead of Mix, I think.

Thanks for all the help! 🙏

You're very welcome :) Pete

• Is there a bug in the editor for Sequence-R generator on the iPhone? The editors for Sequence Both and Fixed work fine, but I only seem to be able to delete blocks on the Sequence Rhythm grid. If I set the editor to Draw or Edit, nothing happens. Occasionally a green, rather than blue, graphic appears when I touch an empty box, then vanishes. Am I doing something wrong?

• @looperboy said:
    Is there a bug in the editor for Sequence-R generator on the iPhone? The editors for Sequence Both and Fixed work fine, but I only seem to be able to delete blocks on the Sequence Rhythm grid. If I set the editor to Draw or Edit, nothing happens. Occasionally a green, rather than blue, graphic appears when I touch an empty box, then vanishes. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi! There are a couple of bugs in the R sequence editor that we're aware of, and are hoping to fix very soon!

Thanks for using Wotja!

With best wishes, Pete

• @impete said:

@looperboy said:
    Is there a bug in the editor for Sequence-R generator on the iPhone? The editors for Sequence Both and Fixed work fine, but I only seem to be able to delete blocks on the Sequence Rhythm grid. If I set the editor to Draw or Edit, nothing happens. Occasionally a green, rather than blue, graphic appears when I touch an empty box, then vanishes. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi! There are a couple of bugs in the R sequence editor that we're aware of, and are hoping to fix very soon!

Thanks for using Wotja!

With best wishes, Pete

Hey are you automatically receiving crash reports? I’ve had a few. It’s basically only when dealing with AU guests and I suspect it has a lot to do with the age of my device (IPhone 8 Plus) having lower specs and just dies out of memory starvation or something.