Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

cykle | advanced pattern sequencer now live

Comments

• Hehe no worries. I did feel like a dick saying "LK is an abbreviation of L and K" but Imaginando made me do it!

• edited November 2020

EDITED!:

@cp3 has helped point out that I needed to change from the Cykle Virtual port TO MIDIFire port in MIDIFire app.

MIDI data flow now recognised.

Thanks Corné

• Can’t find midi out in standalone either, other than that it’s great.

• edited November 2020

EDITED!:

And the AUM routing from standalone...

@cp3 Thanks Corné. I really should have sussed this out myself. D'oh! :)

• Since you guys paged Corne... Just to help on diagnostics.
    I was running it standalone on iOS 12 in an iPad Mini 2 and it was fine. Sent midi from Cykle to Xequence 2. (Xequence 2 had midi thru to BS-16i)

Weird that you're not getting any data, @SpookyZoo
    Hope he can figure what's going on.

• edited November 2020

Thanks @senhorlampada All sorted now. :)

• @SpookyZoo said:

Oh... good to know!
    Sometimes, depending on the apps, midi can be awful to setup. Not gonna mention which apps, but they aren't mentioned in this thread

• edited November 2020

@senhorlampada said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Oh... good to know!
    Sometimes, depending on the apps, midi can be awful to setup. Not gonna mention which apps, but they aren't mentioned in this thread

Yeah, I'm still finding connecting to some synths an issue. Like Continua, as it doesn't have it's own virtual port to connect in Cykle.

I'm still wondering why there is no MIDI data from Cykle's own MIDI port though.

Have to say that the dev, Corné, has been super responsive so far, so I'm sure I'll have an answer on that shortly. :)

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I just had a play with it since it had been a while. I was reminded of the curious decision that changing the settings in one AUv3 instance affects all instances (eg, starting octave). Unless I'm missing something?

I consider this a global setting that should persist between launches and instances. If you want to change the octave transposition in a specific cykle instance you can use the octave' sequence lane.

@Lil_Stu07 said:
    Glad I'm not the only one having problems with stand alone.

did you have the same problems @SpookyZoo mentioned above and did his solution also work for you? if not, can you send me a PM or email explaining your problems?

• @cp3 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    I just had a play with it since it had been a while. I was reminded of the curious decision that changing the settings in one AUv3 instance affects all instances (eg, starting octave). Unless I'm missing something?

I consider this a global setting that should persist between launches and instances. If you want to change the octave transposition in a specific cykle instance you can use the octave' sequence lane.

@Lil_Stu07 said:
    Glad I'm not the only one having problems with stand alone.

did you have the same problems @SpookyZoo mentioned above and did his solution also work for you? if not, can you send me a PM or email explaining your problems?

Yeah, I had to slide up from the bottom of the screen to reveal the midi settings. After that it seemed to work fine. Thanks for following up though!

• @cp3 Sorry if this been covered already but: what's the difference between standalone and AU. Seem strange to run it to AUM when you have it "in-house". I'm sure I'm missing something.

• @Pxlhg said:
    @cp3 Sorry if this been covered already but: what's the difference between standalone and AU. Seem strange to run it to AUM when you have it "in-house". I'm sure I'm missing something.

Got this great info from @CracklePot somewhere deep in this thread.. here it is again.. short version..
    Standalone = up to 8 separate sequences running in one window
    AU = 1 sequence per window (instance)

@royor said:

@CracklePot said:
    For they Midi out in standalone, it is located by sliding up from the bottom of the screen. cykle doesn’t seem to publish its own Midi port, but you can select synths or hosts to send to in this menu. I have been sending to AUM’s midi port to drive my hosted stuff.

Something I discovered when working in that lower Midi panel is that you can create 8 separate Lane groups/setups, and send each out to different Midi channels, all at the same time. That is total madness.

Using cykle in standalone, with up to 8 different sequences playing at once (as described above), connected to AUM which is hosting ALL sound sources, is such a brilliant and creative playground.. just tried this last night and prefer using cykle this way.. for me, using many AU instances in AUM takes more effort to setup and keep track of.. it's just nice to have 1 window and tab through the extra (more than 1) sequences easily.. thanks for that tip @CracklePot

• @royor said:

@Pxlhg said:
    @cp3 Sorry if this been covered already but: what's the difference between standalone and AU. Seem strange to run it to AUM when you have it "in-house". I'm sure I'm missing something.

Got this great info from @CracklePot somewhere deep in this thread.. here it is again.. short version..
    Standalone = up to 8 separate sequences running in one window
    AU = 1 sequence per window (instance)

@royor said:

@CracklePot said:
    For they Midi out in standalone, it is located by sliding up from the bottom of the screen. cykle doesn’t seem to publish its own Midi port, but you can select synths or hosts to send to in this menu. I have been sending to AUM’s midi port to drive my hosted stuff.

Something I discovered when working in that lower Midi panel is that you can create 8 separate Lane groups/setups, and send each out to different Midi channels, all at the same time. That is total madness.

Using cykle in standalone, with up to 8 different sequences playing at once (as described above), connected to AUM which is hosting ALL sound sources, is such a brilliant and creative playground.. just tried this last night and prefer using cykle this way.. for me, using many AU instances in AUM takes more effort to setup and keep track of.. it's just nice to have 1 window and tab through the extra (more than 1) sequences easily.. thanks for that tip @CracklePot

Thank you, that clears that up :D much obliged.

• Is it possible to go lower and higher in pitch the the seven squares presented on the screen?

• @_smund said:
    Is it possible to go lower and higher in pitch the the seven squares presented on the screen?

Add an Octave sequence.. and possibly match the number of steps in each of those sequences to have expected results - OR - not, for unexpected jumps.. 👍

• Ah man, I’m praying for Chromatic. Will you guys join the praypray?

• @_smund OK.. gotcha.. I misunderstood.. maybe send Corné a quick reminder note about a possible chromatic mode? I know it was mentioned back here
    Using Rozeta Scalar or an instance of Mozaic, right after cykle, was also brought up (in the same thread) as an option.. 🤷‍♂️

• @royor
    Ah perfect! Cool yea, I sent another poor dev a mail (: I will try to put scaler inbetween and see what it does, thanks mate (:

• Is there a way to sequence changing pattern?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ehehehe said:
    Anyone else having cycle going mute and interface black when printing midi in cubasis 3?

Known issue in Cubasis 3 as far as I know, affects Perforator and some Sugar-Bytes AUv3's as well...
    ...it's related to Midi AUv3's and since the plug-ins work in other hosts I consider this to be a Cubasis issue...

• How would you use this for more than just a bar or two. Different sections of songs etc. A different Cubasis track each time?

• @Ailerom said:
    How would you use this for more than just a bar or two. Different sections of songs etc. A different Cubasis track each time?

You can create 8 different scenes (called snapshots in the manual) and shift between them. But you can also program relatively complex sequences for each snapshot that will create a lot of variation and chord changes.

• @galmandsværk said:

@Ailerom said:
    How would you use this for more than just a bar or two. Different sections of songs etc. A different Cubasis track each time?

You can create 8 different scenes (called snapshots in the manual) and shift between them. But you can also program relatively complex sequences for each snapshot that will create a lot of variation and chord changes.

And select between them via midi note input?

• @cp3 said:
    snapshots respond to MIDI program changes (i.e., bank select) sent to cykle's MIDI input.

I've gotten back to using Cykle after getting Polybeat. I love both of these apps and I've been getting all kind of ideas that will require sequencing the snapshots. But now I am confused about how to do this. Has anyone been able to do this? It looks like he's saying that it uses "bank select" changes. But how is that done? I can send Patch changes but it doesn't respond to that.

How in the name of Auv3 does this work?

• McDMcD
    edited January 2022

@Stochastically said:

@cp3 said:
    snapshots respond to MIDI program changes (i.e., bank select) sent to cykle's MIDI input.

I've gotten back to using Cykle after getting Polybeat. I love both of these apps and I've been getting all kind of ideas that will require sequencing the snapshots. But now I am confused about how to do this. Has anyone been able to do this? It looks like he's saying that it uses "bank select" changes. But how is that done? I can send Patch changes but it doesn't respond to that.

It takes a MIDI app that will send a Bank Select message. I was using them with iSymphonic at one point a few years back and @SevenSystems added the feature for me to Xequence 1.
    I'm sure he kept it in Xequence 2:

Some MIDI devices have more than 128 Programs (ie, Patches, Instruments, Preset, etc). A MIDI Program Change message supports switching between only 128 programs. So, Bank Select Controller (sometimes called Bank Switch) is sometimes used to allow switching between groups of 128 programs. For example, let's say that a device has 512 Programs. It may divide these into 4 banks of 128 programs apiece. So, if you want program #129, that would actually be the first program within the second bank. You would send a Bank Select Controller to switch to the second bank, and then follow with a Program Change to select the first Program in this bank. If a MultiTimbral device, then each Part usually can be set to its own Bank/Program.

On MultiTimbral devices that have a Drum Part, the Bank Select is sometimes used to switch between "Drum Kits".

Note: When a Bank Select is received, the MIDI module doesn't actually change to a patch in the new bank. Rather, the Bank Select value is simply stored by the MIDI module without changing the current patch. Whenever a subsequent Program Change is received, the stored Bank Select is then utilized to switch to the specified patch in the new bank. For this reason, Bank Select must be sent before a Program Change, when you desire changing to a patch in a different bank. (Of course, if you simply wish to change to another patch in the same bank, there is no need to send a Bank Select first).

This Yamaha page gets into the bytes required in the MIDI messages that @SevenSystems had to add to his code:

https://yamahasynth.com/learn/2010s/bank-select-and-program-change-event

iSymphonic labels every preset with the relevant MSB+LSB (Most significant byte + least significant byte) for the Bank Select message to be sent but I recall they aren't clear on the relevant PC needed. I ended up thinking the implementation was flawed since I was sending MIDI messages from a hardware controller and NOT getting the desired results. I wanted to call up a 16 channel orchestra. I soon learned that I could configure such an orchestra but didn't buy enough CPU/DSP resources to make it do much in AUM. Thankfully, Nanostudio came along with more efficient code that didn't live within the AUv3 sandbox and then Staffpad arrived and I never looked back.

• @McD said:

@Stochastically said:

@cp3 said:

But how is that done?

It takes a MIDI app that will send a Bank Select message.

thanks @McD for your detailed info; but why, oh why, did he choose such an obscure way to deal with this? I'd like to hear if anyone, anywhere has been successful with this arrangement. @cp3 has been active on the Polybeat thread lately. I hope he sees this and can help in some way. Otherwise some really useful possibilities for using Cykle are being lost.

• @Stochastically said:

@McD said:

@Stochastically said:

@cp3 said:

But how is that done?

thanks @McD for your detailed info; but why, oh why, did he choose such an obscure way to deal with this? I'd like to hear if anyone, anywhere has been successful with this arrangement. @cp3 has been active on the Polybeat thread lately. I hope he sees this and can help in some way. Otherwise some really useful possibilities for using Cykle are being lost.

MIDI program change is the canonical way to change patterns on a MIDI sequencer, but I agree it's obscure and not many apps support sending this MIDI message. I will probably make cykle respond to MIDI pitches to change patterns in an upcoming update, just like polybeat does.

• Why does the "length" always affect the next step i choose ? is this the bug or the original design?

• @cp3 said:

@Stochastically said:

@McD said:

@Stochastically said:

@cp3 said:

But how is that done?

MIDI program change is the canonical way to change patterns on a MIDI sequencer, but I agree it's obscure and not many apps support sending this MIDI message. I will probably make cykle respond to MIDI pitches to change patterns in an upcoming update, just like polybeat does.

That’ll be cool.. makes sense to have polybeat + cykle’s pattern change work in the same way..
    I seem to use cykle without needing pattern changes most of the time.. tweaking things live from the first satisfactory initial pattern.. making a change.. listening.. possibly recording the output or not.. it’s just a fun way to try to discover an interesting pattern.. I don’t need to save everything or anything for that matter.. simply messing about is reward enough.. 😁