Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[solved] Drambo - Random layer

As an extension of this thread in which @tk32 demonstrate the possibility to trigger samples randomly, I'd like to know if there's a way to trigger layers randomly ?

Comments

• Yup, use the module “Switch 1-N” if you’re only using one signal through to multiple layers.

• I've tried to understand how these "switch" work, but it's a hard fail, and the "help description" doesn't... help 😞

Here's what I'm trying to do :

I have a "layers object" with 4 layers.
    Each layer contains a sampler.
    Each sampler contains 4 velocities of kick, snare, HH, toms and cymbals samples.

Let's say the kicks are on C0 ; I'd like to randomly trigger one of the 4 layers when placing C0s on the sequence grid.

• Easy. You can use a Modulator => Random module triggered by each note gate and connect its output to the Sampler's velocity input.

• edited January 2022

My apologies it isn’t “Switch N-1” it’s the other one “Switch 1-N” and you want it to switch randomly.

One moment it’s been awhile.

• This one works if I've understood the description correctly

@rs2000 as always. 😏

• @Gravitas said:
    This one works if I've understood the description correctly

@rs2000 as always. 😏

😄
    I've demoed the simplest possible option to challenge @Gratouilli and hopefully get him to respond if he really needs the more complicated Layers version.

• @rs2000

Yeah, well obviously I'm going to go for the most difficult one isn't.😁

Hopefully both versions will encourage him enough to create his patch.
    @Gratouilli if you have any questions be sure to ask.

• edited January 2022

Thanks @Gravitas and @rs2000 ; it still doesn't work on my side 🙈.
    I must be the "idiot Drambo champion" ! 😩

From the pictures you shared, @Gravitas seems to understand my poor english the most 😂.

In fact, I don't want to randomize the velocity but only the layer to be triggered.

I'll try to be more clear. So, my "Layers" object contains 4 samplers :

• Layer 1 = sampler 1 with 4 samples on C0 (kick soft 1 / kick medium soft 1 / kick medium 1 / kick hard 1)
    • Layer 2 = sampler 2 with 4 samples on C0 (kick soft 2 / kick medium soft 2 / kick medium 2 / kick hard 2)
    • Layer 3 = sampler 3 with 4 samples on C0 (kick soft 3 / kick medium soft 3 / kick medium 3 / kick hard 3)
    • Layer 4 = sampler 4 with 4 samples on C0 (kick soft 4 / kick medium soft 4 / kick medium 4 / kick hard 4)

Now, on the sequencer grid, I edit the velocity I want for each step... only triggering C0... and I'd simply like Drambo to randomize the layers on every step in order to ear only 1 sample on each step (not 4)...

Aarghh... it's sometimes so hard to explain simple things 😅 !

• @Gratouilli

It's cool.
    Rs2000's version shows the flow in it's simplest form.
    The version I did only affects the notes and not the velocities.
    You could swap out the LFO module for the Random module instead.

Look at the colours of the connections from my screenshot
    and go through them and you will see.
    Do it for one Layer and then repeat for the other Layers.
    Remember the flow is from left to right.
    As Drambo connects automatically all you have to do
    is disconnect the key input for each Flexi sampler.

As you can see from my screenshot I took it as soon as the fourth Layer
    was completed knowing that the other Layers were connected the same.

Get as far as you can and then take a screenshot and we'll have a look at it for you.

• edited January 2022

@Gratouilli

Try this... MIDI to CV Module Gate connection --TO--> RND Module Gate-in connection/ RND Out connection --TO--> Index connection of 1-N Module.

Connect the MIDI to CV Module Gate connection to the input on the 1-N Module.

The above gives you an 1-N Module that will randomly assign the Gate signal to each of the outputs you create on the 1-N Module (only one 1-N output sending gate per keystroke).

IN your layer Module... Connect all Gates of the Samplers on layer 1, to output 1 of the 1-N Module.

Output 2 of the 1-N Module to the Sampler Gates on Layer 2
    Output 3 of the 1-N Module to the Sampler Gates on Layer 3

So on and so forth for as many layers as you like.

Hope this helps.

• edited January 2022

Ah, got it @Gratouilli, what you want is velocity response combined with random sample selection.
    Sorry to propose a simpler solution again 😉

This needs a bit of explanation.
    First, I've mapped the different velocity levels of kick 1 of the sample on C2, same for kick 2 on C3. When I play C2, it will trigger the kick according to the velocity played but it will also randomly alternate between kick 1 and kick 2.
    I've decided to use a mapping like all kicks on C, all rimshots on C#, all snares on D but you could also randomly trigger samples 2 or 3 octaves apart.
    I did this to simplify the sample mapping by using only one sampler since the drum samples most likely belong to the same drum kit anyway (right?).
    This will also simplify choosing different drum kits a lot.

Random .125 is triggered by the note's gate signal and generates rnd numbers in the range of one octave which is defined to be 0.125 difference in Drambo.
    Using 0.25 will span 2 octaves, 0.375 will span 3 octaves etc.

Offset .0625 adds half an octave so the CV quantizer will trigger different octaves with equal chance.

The CV Quantizer restricts the generated random numbers to numbers that are one octave apart, that's why only "C" is enabled.

That random number from CV Quantizer is then added to the original pitch from MIDI to CV so you can still play different instruments of your kit.

Should you want the different versions of the same drum or cymbal to be spread 2 octaves apart for example, you can do that by scaling the output of the CV Quantizer to x2 (or x3 if you need it to be 3 octaves) before adding it to the original pitch:

• edited January 2022

Perhaps even simpler 😜
    If you want to randomise just velocity layers take out the transpose module, if you want to only randomise the notes connect sampler’s velocity to the velocity of midi to cv module. If you want both, leave as is.

• @supadom How would you use this in a drum kit to add "random round robin"?

• Hi again 🤗
    I've only had 1/2h to try this morning... and I still failed to make it work 🙈.

I'll try again during the WE and will come back with screen shots of what I'm doing so that you'll be able to guide me through my mistakes 🤪.

Thanks a LOT 🙏🏻

• @rs2000 said:
    @supadom How would you use this in a drum kit to add "random round robin"?

Wrap several of these in a layers module.
    OP wants a note of C to trigger random samples without using velocity. The above will do that if velocity is connected to midi to cv as opposed to random module.

Unless I’m not understanding OP’s question correctly

• @supadom said:

@rs2000 said:
    @supadom How would you use this in a drum kit to add "random round robin"?

Wrap several of these in a layers module.
    OP wants a note of C to trigger random samples without using velocity. The above will do that if velocity is connected to midi to cv as opposed to random module.

Unless I’m not understanding OP’s question correctly

Ah OK. As always, there are many options ;)

• edited January 2022

Thanks for tagging me in the original post @Gratouilli :smile:

I see you already have some of the finest Drambo minds helping you, so there’s probably not much I can add. It’s a nice extension of the ‘random robin’ idea though :+1:

• edited January 2022

Here I am again ! :smiley:

You've teached me a lot with your propositions and I THANK YOU ALL A LOT for that again ! :wink:

So, as I now understand things a little more, instead of "copying" I've tried to make my own instrument… and it's perfect for my needs :

@rs2000 , no, I don't want all the samples to be part of a "drumkit". Instead, I want to be able to build custom "kits" by using different parts of different kits. So, I've prepared "samplers" containing only 1 sound spreaded over 4 velocity layers… and mixing different "samplers" on my 4 samplers, opens really creative results B)

• OK, got it. You have a load of options now for sure, @Gratouilli :)

BTW, which drum samples are you using?

• edited January 2022

@rs2000 said:
    OK, got it. You have a load of options now for sure, @Gratouilli :)

BTW, which drum samples are you using?

I've bought the Vintage Modern v.4 from Cult Drum Sounds : https://www.cultdrumsounds.com/shop?store-page=VINTAGE-MODERN-p374725046

👍🏻

• @Gratouilli

Glad you’ve got it working the way you need to.
    Looking good. 🙂