Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Launchpad Pro with Loopy Pro which midi out?

I am trying to figure out which port I should use to connect to Loopy Pro using a Launchpad Pro?
I can see 3 ports
A live port
A standalone port
A Midi Port

Either operating Loopy Pro in standalone mode or in Aum?
Which port should I be using?
So far I have found I cab get a coresponding colour ie orange on screen and orange on Launchpad Pro but pressing the pad does nothing. Doing something wrong fer sure, Ny help would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• edited January 2022

Standalone port = hardware din ports
    Midi port = usb midi for notes/chords/etc
    Live = for session mode.

If you're trying to play notes into a synth and other apps, you want the midi port (if using usb)

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    Standalone port = hardware din ports
    Midi port = usb midi for notes/chords/etc
    Live = for session mode.

If you're trying to play notes into a synth and other apps, you want the midi port (if using usb)

I want to mimic the Launchpad Pro using Loopy Pro. Basically fire loops, toggling them on and off as you would with Launchpad but Lauchpad forces you to use blocswave and it is not that quick or creative.

• If you connect via USB, loopy pro will automatically make the connections needed for session mode to work. To receive midi from, notes and custom mode, use the port labeled midi out

• @espiegel123 said:
    If you connect via USB, loopy pro will automatically make the connections needed for session mode to work. To receive midi from, notes and custom mode, use the port labeled midi out

Cheers worked out it works in Session mode, brilliant. Thanks

• still trying to get my midi controllers up and running via auto map. I know I can map them manually.

• @Michael : which launchpad's and launchpad pros are supported for automapping?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Michael : which launchpad's and launchpad pros are supported for automapping?

X and Pro Mk3 presently, more in theory but I haven't had a chance to test them 'cos I don't have them.

• @condordontsurfz said:
    still trying to get my midi controllers up and running via auto map. I know I can map them manually.

Which controllers do you have?

• @espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:
    still trying to get my midi controllers up and running via auto map. I know I can map them manually.

launchpad mk2 , launchpad pro mk2, apc mini

• @condordontsurfz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

From what Michael posted above, it sounds like your devices aren't currently supported with auto-mapping. The Akai APC-40 is also supported.

• @espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

From what Michael posted above, it sounds like your devices aren't currently supported with auto-mapping. The Akai APC-40 is also supported.

thank you. Dived into this a bit further and indeed Launchpad Pro Mk2 does auto map. I do believe you need to put it into the green button mode.

These instructions are for logic but should help anybody with a LP pro Mk 2

https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro-css/novation-launchpad-buttons-overview-ctls72de11ce/mac

• @condordontsurfz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

thank you. Dived into this a bit further and indeed Launchpad Pro Mk2 does auto map. I do believe you need to put it into the green button mode.

https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro-css/novation-launchpad-buttons-overview-ctls72de11ce/mac

Maybe you could add something to the Audiobus wiki about this for others with the same question?

• edited January 2022

Yes the Launchpad Pro does not automap. As others have suggested you need to first turn on the Launchpad hold down setup and press the upper lefthand green button. Though I was following this advice but my usb ligtening cable coming out of the camera kit has probably seen better days and I believe that is the culprit for things not working correctly.
    I have designed a complete setup for both the ipad, my mixer and the Launchpad Pro to use at live gigs since my last tripod setup fell over and cut my knee. Because I use the ipad in landscape mode and hate using it, especially at gigs, from a table, I built a special arm to support the camera dual port and support the 2 cables. No support would mean snagging cables which was my problem in the first case. I will post pics when I have done some final adjustments.

• @Toastedghost said:
    Yes the Launchpad Pro does not automap. As others have suggested you need to first turn on the Launchpad hold down setup and press the upper lefthand green button. Though I was following this advice but my usb ligtening cable coming out of the camera kit has probably seen better days and I believe that is the culprit for things not working correctly.
    I have designed a complete setup for both the ipad, my mixer and the Launchpad Pro to use at live gigs since my last tripod setup fell over and cut my knee. Because I use the ipad in landscape mode and hate using it, especially at gigs, from a table, I built a special arm to support the camera dual port and support the 2 cables. No support would mean snagging cables which was my problem in the first case. I will post pics when I have done some final adjustments.

Sounds cool. The hanging cables is an issue for most of us, it would seem.

• @espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

Maybe you could add something to the Audiobus wiki about this for others with the same question?

Not sure I am qualified to write any wiki at the moment. Still learning.

• @condordontsurfz said:

@Toastedghost said:

The anti drag arm I made for ipad.

• edited January 2022

@Toastedghost said:

@condordontsurfz said:

@Toastedghost said:

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Extension-DESOFICON-Certified-Connector/dp/B0963KH66F/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=lightning+extension+cable&qid=1642791705&sr=8-3

leave all your gear on the floor or someplace not putting stress on that port.....
    i have some running back to my rack so theres only a single cable when i wanna jack in

• @condordontsurfz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

Not sure I am qualified to write any wiki at the moment. Still learning.

If you know the sequence of steps required that is all that is needed.

• @condordontsurfz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

Could you post directions here on how to get the LaunchPad Pro MK2 set up and working with Loopy Pro here -- and I'll move the information into the wiki?

• @espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

Could you post directions here on how to get the LaunchPad Pro MK2 set up and working with Loopy Pro here -- and I'll move the information into the wiki?

That would be great as I haven't tried it with mine yet.

• edited February 2022

I dont have the original pro, but you can find the instruction in the programmers manual to get to the "Live" mode and try...
    https://d2xhy469pqj8rc.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/novation/downloads/10598/launchpad-pro-programmers-reference-guide_0.pdf

There is a different programmers manual for every model.

Also things probably won't work 100% as the note numbers assigned to the buttons are laid out different. For example, the lower left pad of the 64 on a mk3 is note #11, where as its 22 on the precious model (11 being the left most button under the 64 pads)

Just from a quick read, im fairly certain the scene select down the right side might not work.

The other thing is, and maybe @michael can clarify for us, is what mode the LPPmk3 is in when it automaps? 1 of 2 possible sysex strings need to be sent to the device, one is "programmers" mode, and one is "Live/DAW" mode. Programmers is 100% a blank slate and requires far more scripting to implement, but its more open ended.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    I dont have the original pro, but you can find the instruction in the programmers manual to get to the "Live" mode and try...
    https://d2xhy469pqj8rc.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/novation/downloads/10598/launchpad-pro-programmers-reference-guide_0.pdf

There is a different programmers manual for every model.

Also things probably won't work 100% as the note numbers assigned to the buttons are laid out different. For example, the lower left pad of the 64 on a mk3 is note #11, where as its 22 on the precious model (11 being the left most button under the 64 pads)

Just from a quick read, im fairly certain the scene select down the right side might not work.

The other thing is, and maybe @michael can clarify for us, is what mode the LPPmk3 is in when it automaps? 1 of 2 possible sysex strings need to be sent to the device, one is "programmers" mode, and one is "Live/DAW" mode. Programmers is 100% a blank slate and requires far more scripting to implement, but its more open ended.

Someone here had it working. So, if they shared the steps they used that would be preferable to sending people to do their own research.

• edited February 2022

Loopy Pro puts the Launchpad into Live/DAW mode.

I’ll take another crack at the mk2 support though

• edited February 2022

Its been a couple weeks w/o a response, so I figured I'd point people in the right direction rather than 0 info at all.
    The mode Michael uses is kind of important to know. Im assuming its programmers mode, not Live mode. I havent gotten to far into Loopy yet as i'm a midi guy, not an audio guy, but I can verify in a few hours. I can probably get it working to the same extent on a Launchpad Mini mk2.

It would be easier if I could use my mozaic scripts in loopy, but the DAW port wasnt exposed last I checked.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Someone here had it working. So, if they shared the steps they used that would be preferable to sending people to do their own research.

I said that my launchpad mkII showed some signs of life after the last update. That means that some pads lit up obviously linked to LoopPro and I was able to launch clips. But it did not feel like a fully correct automapped device. But at least it did anything. With the former version it just stayed completely inactive. I have not tested further what it actually does so I can't really report anything useful. But at least does the current version of LP seems to connect to the Launchpad mkII and that is at least progress.

• edited February 2022

Just a thought I know the Launchpad Pro (not mk2) receives power from either transformer or usb. Can both be plugged in at the same time or is that a big no no? Just thinking if that would solve my connection problems to Loopy Pro

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    Its been a couple weeks w/o a response, so I figured I'd point people in the right direction rather than 0 info at all.
    The mode Michael uses is kind of important to know. Im assuming its programmers mode, not Live mode. I havent gotten to far into Loopy yet as i'm a midi guy, not an audio guy, but I can verify in a few hours. I can probably get it working to the same extent on a Launchpad Mini mk2.

It uses session/live mode.

It would be easier if I could use my mozaic scripts in loopy, but the DAW port wasnt exposed last I checked.

The DAW port became exposed in a recent update.

p.s. posting the info here for those that find this thread.

• @espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@condordontsurfz said:

Plugging my Launch Control XL into loopy pro yesterday I was pleasantly surprised that leds responded to the states in loopy ie count in, rec and play. I just had to make sure that buttons were sending toggle messages to match the type in settings.

This likely means that other Novation products with LED grids will work with LP it’s just they may require some tweaks.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@Toastedghost said:

@condordontsurfz said:

@Toastedghost said:

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Extension-DESOFICON-Certified-Connector/dp/B0963KH66F/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=lightning+extension+cable&qid=1642791705&sr=8-3

leave all your gear on the floor or someplace not putting stress on that port.....
    i have some running back to my rack so theres only a single cable when i wanna jack in

I think cable breakages mostly come from accidental yanks as opposed to repetitive light bending. In the past 10 years I never had a problem with iPad connectors unlike MacBook Pro’s but those were all second hand.

Still a good idea to have that in place. I wish Apple adapted MagSafe tech to iOS although having cables detach during a live set doesn’t sound like fun.

• @supadom said:
    I wish Apple adapted MagSafe tech to iOS although having cables detach during a live set doesn’t sound like fun.

No need to wait for apple.....

(Most of them charge only but there's plenty that do data. Not sure how much I'd trust a magnetic thunderbolt cable....)