Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Random Ear Candy

I KNOW there are certain MIDI generators out there that could accomplish this, please see the video below to see what I’m on about;

Anyone have any iOS friendly systems to achieve this kind of thing? Obviously doesn’t have to be with acoustic percussion, I’d say any old percussive or even chopped non-percussive sounds would work

Comments

• Koala sampler for ease of use.

Auto chop the recording and export out the individual slices to sampler or DAW of choice.

You could quite feasible do it in BM3 only which does have a transient detector
    and will spread the slices across the pads or keyboard depending upon preference.

Audiolayer is another one you could use but obviously you have to use an external DAW.

• I do have Koala actually, not sure if I’ve bought the update (samurai?) - after that it’s a question of randomly triggering the slices, I’m in NS2 by the way but I feel there must be a way to get this done in there

• edited January 2022

Two words: Drambo Flexi! It takes seconds to do this.

• Yep watched the same video and made something in Flexi. Start slice in random, record in some hits and you are good to go.

• @supadom and @bcrichards guys give the others a chance at least. Lolololol.
    Throw in the CV sequencer and Graphic Modulator and it’s just wild. 😏

• edited January 2022

@supadom and @bcrichards

On another note.
    Either of you going to try for an FM synth with 8 ops?
    I got close last year. 😁

• Is there a module that creates random notes in Drambo?

• @Lorichs said:
    Is there a module that creates random notes in Drambo?

The Flexi sampler itself has a random mode. I set it to note in the screenshot but can be set to random too. You can than place arps, strum module or whatever else before midi to cv and it can go in many directions.

@gravitas 🤣

• Thanks @supadom
    Of couse flexe has a random mode. Hail to the king baby.

• @KRPT said:
    Anyone have any iOS friendly systems to achieve this kind of thing?

Multiple Neon Audio Editors each using the random feature in the Particle Engine...?

• I can’t do Drambo, I... I’m too afraid...

Seriously thanks for the suggestions though!

• @Simon said:

@KRPT said:

Multiple Neon Audio Editors each using the random feature in the Particle Engine...?

I’ve actually been looking at Neon for a minute as a warpable audio clip launcher for NS2 - almost seems to good to be true though - there have been a few plugs I’ve bought that just don’t sit 100% well with NS2 unfortunately

• @KRPT said:

@Simon said:

@KRPT said:

there have been a few plugs I’ve bought that just don’t sit 100% well with NS2 unfortunately

Which plugins specifically? In what way do they not sit well - for example, do they crash? Also have you posted the issues in Blip Interactive‘s NS2 forum?

• @KRPT said:
    I’ve actually been looking at Neon for a minute as a warpable audio clip launcher for NS2 - almost seems to good to be true though - there have been a few plugs I’ve bought that just don’t sit 100% well with NS2 unfortunately

Check out from 6.00 mins on...

• @KRPT said:
    I can’t do Drambo, I... I’m too afraid...

Seriously thanks for the suggestions though!

Drambo is an amazing playground if you like this sort of thing and if you’ve posted this question then you clearly are!

Drambo got me by stealth because I wanted to be able to build an impaktor. Otherwise I’d be out the door at the word modular!

Drambo is easier than other modulars because it auto connects modules, because of this it is also super quick.

I get fear of the unknown when I look at Ableton’s sampler for the first time too!!! 🤣

• @Gravitas thats a job for someone with a background in FM. One thing that’s missing is a quick way to change “algorithms”, and the fact you can’t do multi-operator feedback without at a minimum 10ms (although a delay centric FM synth might be kind of cool).

• @bcrichards said:
    @Gravitas thats a job for someone with a background in FM. One thing that’s missing is a quick way to change “algorithms”, and the fact you can’t do multi-operator feedback without at a minimum 10ms (although a delay centric FM synth might be kind of cool).

Ahhhh….
    I put together a four op FM synth last year which was a bit involved because
    I was figuring out how to switch between serial and parallel and it works but
    it could do with some tweaking.
    I’ve got a couple of others floating around which are
    really simple with loads of LFO stuff happening.
    Cheated a bit by using subtractive synthesis techniques.
    I didn’t know about the multi-operator feedback as
    I was “learning” about FM synthesis rather than using presets.
    The patches aren’t to bad considering they are beginner stuff I must say.
    Definitely fun to play around with.
    Okay, I won’t go to deep then.
    Thanks for the heads up.

• @Simon said:

@KRPT said:

Check out from 6.00 mins on...

Wow - that is so dope! I’m definitely sold. I’m
    not sure if it was the particular sample he used in the demonstration but it sounded really nice. And yeah, looks like I’d be able to get some percussive sounds going quite easily with those options too. Thanks!

PS Drambo is still beckoning ...