Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Bach Speed" - Little Preludes (rock version)

edited December 2014 in Creations

Here's a piece I made entirely on iPad using MultitrackStudio, Thumbjam, Bias, Tonestack, Altispace, soundfonts. I'm hoping to do all 6 of Bach's little preludes as we'll as some other favorites in this style. Please let me know your thoughts about the mix and anything else.

Comments

• I like the idea, but the choice of sounds here made it very 80's sounding "chip tune" which I am not a huge fan off. With more modern sounds, this could be great!

• edited December 2014

@PhilW said:

I like the idea, but the choice of sounds here made it very 80's sounding "chip tune" which I am not a huge fan off. With more modern sounds, this could be great!

Thank for the advice, Phil. I replaced a few of the more "80s" sounding synth patches with some other instruments. Give this above link another listen and see what you think.

• Yes I like this version much better! Great fun - I will look forward to hearing more if you do them.

• edited December 2014

Here's #2 in C minor... Wait for it! :)

Like the first one this was made entirely on iPad using MultitrackStudio, Thumbjam, Bias, Tonestack, Altispace, soundfonts. The ending delves a bit into my metal roots.

• That was cool, i like the ending dum part. Somthing screams holidays about this instrumentation. Nice job and thanks for sharing.

• Great change in the middle, I like it a lot!

• Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm working on the third one right now.

• edited December 2014

Here's #3. Same circumstances as before. Orchestral and harpsichord soundfonts, Galileo organ on this one. I wanted to add some guitar but I think it ended up sounding better without.

• edited December 2014

Here's little prelude #4 in D major. This one presented new challenges for me. After #3, which was more orchestral and had no guitar, I wanted to feature guitars on this one. It was technically a lot more difficult, having to practice and execute some difficult fretboard gymnastics. It also required a lot more patience, trial, and error on the mixing side of things. As always, comments and feedback are welcomed.

• Very different feel between these last two - but enjoyed both a lot! Turning into a great little series.

• That is Bach and it rocks, It's a rock block of Bach!

• edited December 2014

Here's #5 in E Major and it's another hard rocker. This one really fills the dance floors.

• Very cool. Fun listening!

• edited January 2015

Here is the last of Bach's 6 little preludes in that series. It's been a great learning experience for me. The main learning curve for me was getting a good guitar tone and dialing in eq settings that didn't muddy up the mix and gave the other instruments space. It took a lot of trial and error and I think I'm getting close to what I wanted. I went back and re-recorded some of the guitar parts on a few of the other preludes to incorporate what I learned, and reposted those. I'm going to keep working on a couple more of Bach's works just to fine tune my approach, and I'll post the results here when they're available. Thanks for listening and the feedback!

• Wow. Great stuff. #5 in E major is my favorite; slick guitar work. Which app did you use for the drums?

• Thanks @supanorton. The drums are from a homemade soundfont, and the drum loops came from the Groove Monkee Metal 1 & 2 midi packs. Actually all of the synths were done with homemade soundfonts, too.

I should have mentioned previously that I did this as just a fun project to learn about mixing, EQing, and to try to get my old guitar chops back in preparation to work on my own music. I didn't want to start my own stuff while I was still totally green. The keyboard parts are unabashedly just midi files that I humanized, added pitch bends to as I felt appropriate, and are not meant to portray me as a keyboard virtuoso or anything.

• Great feel on these latest two!