Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synthmaster Two has suddenly gone “Buggy” on me

I had Synthmaster Two loaded onto two of my iPads. All of a sudden, it stopped working in AUM and AudioBus on both iPads; it just will not load in AUM and it’s name won’t even appear in AudioBus. Re-booting the iPads didn’t help.

I can use it in Standalone mode just fine on both iPads, but that’s it; in that mode the MIDI connections wouldn’t work, even using Core MIDI. Synthmaster 2 either didn’t appear in the list for MIDI connection or it’s name doesn’t show up at all.

So I re-installed it on both iPads and the same issues remain. I am running the most current iOS update of both iPads. Anyone have any suggestions how to fix these issues?

Comments

• Eek!

Looks like there was an update two weeks ago that I never got. Wonder if anyone else if having this issue?

• Neither SM One or SM2 works for me on desktop as AUv3. Standalone versions still work, which really bugs me. It’s been hopeless for weeks.

• I’ve had problems with SynthMaster Player (for what it’s worth…). The CPU meter in AUM started acting crazy all of a sudden, and there was a lot of clipping and skipping in the sound. When I removed the slots with SynthMaster Player, the issue stopped.

• That's odd. Just to confirm, are you using SM2 as AUv3 in AUM and Audiobus? It's working for me on iPadOS 15.2.1 and iPad 6. Tried both AUM and Audiobus. I don't know what could cause this.

I do notice that SM2 stand-alone does not seem to offer a Virtual MIDI port, so it only sees those offered by other apps. This is awkward with AUM, because it doesn't offer an output port, so that's a stand-off. I was able to bridge it with MidiFire, since they can both see it.

• @uncledave Yes, I tried to use Synthmaster 2 as an AUv3 in both Audiobus and AUM.

I re-installed Synthmaster 2 again on both of my iPads. On the smaller one, it only opens as a standalone with no working MIDI. And it still won’t load into AUM or Audiobus.

On the larger iPad, it just will not re-install. The App Store gave me a weird logo on my home page, but the synth won’t open, even when I tried opening it from the App Store.

It has occurred to me that maybe the new desktop presets IAP by Selcuk Ergen could be causing this issue? Frustrating.

• @StudioSisu, that "weird" test pattern icon is what iOS uses when the app fails to provide an appropriate icon, so that just shows that the file is somehow unreadable.

I have the new presets, so that's not likely the problem. Also, you have to download those after installing, so it shouldn't affect installation.

Have you successfully installed anything else recently? Could you try to install some free app you don't need, just to see if it works? Because it seems as if your systems are somehow corrupted, complicating the installation and run process. App files are encryped in several layers, which is why you cannot sideload on an iPad. Any glitch in that process could produce unrunnable files.

Which iPadOS version do you have on each iPad (check Settings–>About)?

Have you done anything new with the devices lately: new DNS server, changed Restrictions, added a Profile, maybe jailbreak? Have you installed a new app that had some special installation requirement (looking for a Profile that you may not have recognized)?

• edited January 2022

@uncledave I did install Loopy Pro recently on both iPads, with no special installation requirements. And both of my iPads were recently updated to iOS 15.2.1. Maybe Synthmaster 2 doesn’t like the new iPad update?

Also, I am unable to determine what version of Synthmaster 2 that re-installed on my smaller iPad is. It’s not listed in ‘About’ or in it’s Settings.

Thanks so much for your helpful questions!

• @StudioSisu said:
    @uncledave I did install Loopy Pro recently on both iPads, with no special installation requirements. And both of my iPads were recently updated to iOS 15.2.1. Maybe Synthmaster 2 doesn’t like the new iPad update?

Also, I am unable to determine what version of Synthmaster 2 that re-installed on my smaller iPad is. It’s not listed in ‘About’ or in it’s Settings.

There you go.

• @StudioSisu said:

As I already said, it's working fine for me on iPadOS 15.2.1, so that's not likely the problem. But you said they "were recently updated"; surely you have turned Automatic Updates Off, so you update at your convenience.

It sounds like you don't have any new suspicious stuff installed. Makes it even harder to figure.

Is iPad Storage almost full? Are there a lot of apps running that might conflict for memory or cpu? I force-quit apps regularly, especially biggies like browsers and AppStore.

You can find the version in the iPad Storage list. It's almost a GB, so it's fairly near the top. My version is 1.0.6. It would be nice if the dev included it in the About.

• @uncledave said:

@StudioSisu said:

As I already said, it's working fine for me on iPadOS 15.2.1, so that's not likely the problem. But you said they "were recently updated"; surely you have turned Automatic Updates Off, so you update at your convenience.

It sounds like you don't have any new suspicious stuff installed. Makes it even harder to figure.

Is iPad Storage almost full? Are there a lot of apps running that might conflict for memory or cpu? I force-quit apps regularly, especially biggies like browsers and AppStore.

You can find the version in the iPad Storage list. It's almost a GB, so it's fairly near the top. My version is 1.0.6. It would be nice if the dev included it in the About.

@uncledave I’ve got plenty of space on both iPads, so I’m contacting the dev to see if they can figure this out. Thanks!

• @StudioSisu said:
    I had Synthmaster Two loaded onto two of my iPads. All of a sudden, it stopped working in AUM and AudioBus on both iPads; it just will not load in AUM and it’s name won’t even appear in AudioBus. Re-booting the iPads didn’t help.

I can use it in Standalone mode just fine on both iPads, but that’s it; in that mode the MIDI connections wouldn’t work, even using Core MIDI. Synthmaster 2 either didn’t appear in the list for MIDI connection or it’s name doesn’t show up at all.

So I re-installed it on both iPads and the same issues remain. I am running the most current iOS update of both iPads. Anyone have any suggestions how to fix these issues?

Hello, auv3 should work, but if you are trying to use IAA it will not. We had to update the engine for the new M1 ipads and since Apple removed support for IAA it will not work any longer.

• @NeuM said:
    Neither SM One or SM2 works for me on desktop as AUv3. Standalone versions still work, which really bugs me. It’s been hopeless for weeks.

our iOS apps don't run on the desktop, we have desktop versions on our website www.synthmaster.com

• @lbiyikoglu Hope you’ll consider adding the option to delete imported samples at some point, feels kinda crazy that I have to delete the entire app to get rid of a few samples imported by accident…

• edited January 2022

@lbiyikoglu said:

@NeuM said:
    Neither SM One or SM2 works for me on desktop as AUv3. Standalone versions still work, which really bugs me. It’s been hopeless for weeks.

our iOS apps don't run on the desktop, we have desktop versions on our website www.synthmaster.com

Neither works as an AUv3 on macOS for me. I said this very clearly. I own both iOS and macOS versions.

• And it was answered more than one time... they’re not supposed to work as an AUv3 on MacOS, for that they offer dedicated desktop versions.

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    And it was answered more than one time... they’re not supposed to work as an AUv3 on MacOS, for that they offer dedicated desktop versions.

You didn't quote me, but it appears you are attempting to respond to me?

I own both iOS and macOS versions of both synths. The macOS versions DO NOT WORK AS AUv3's. This has nothing to do with iOS versions on desktop.

• @NeuM said:

@0tolerance4silence said:
    And it was answered more than one time... they’re not supposed to work as an AUv3 on MacOS, for that they offer dedicated desktop versions.

I own both iOS and macOS versions of both synths. The macOS versions DO NOT WORK AS AUv3's. This has nothing to do with iOS versions on desktop.

on desktop we support vst, au and aax formats

• Generally iOS plugins are referenced as ‘AUv3’ and desktop plugins as ‘Audio Unit’, hence the confusion. Not sure if they are technically the same thing...
    You may also try the VST version on desktop if supported by the host.

• @lbiyikoglu said:

@StudioSisu said:

Hello, auv3 should work, but if you are trying to use IAA it will not. We had to update the engine for the new M1 ipads and since Apple removed support for IAA it will not work any longer.

Apple did not remove support for IAA!

SynthMaster One, SynthMaster Player and countless other Apps work perfectly fine with it!

You did remove from IAA from SynthMaster Two?!? 😳
    Can you please add it again?

• @tja said:

@lbiyikoglu said:

@StudioSisu said:

SynthMaster One, SynthMaster Player and countless other Apps work perfectly fine with it!

IAA support is removed with iOS 13 libraries. We continued using the old libraries but since iOS 15 these are creating problems with the new M1 ipads. So had to switch to the recent Apple libraries which do not contain IAA. SynthMaster Player and One also does not include IAA anymore.

• @NeuM said:

@0tolerance4silence said:

Mac versions work just fine as audio units maybe there is user error involved? Very few Mac audio units are AUv3 which is an iOS thing. Maybe I misunderstand what you’re saying.

• @lbiyikoglu said:

@tja said:

@lbiyikoglu said:

@StudioSisu said:

IAA support is removed with iOS 13 libraries. We continued using the old libraries but since iOS 15 these are creating problems with the new M1 ipads. So had to switch to the recent Apple libraries which do not contain IAA. SynthMaster Player and One also does not include IAA anymore.

That's horrible news, thanks.

Strangely, SynthMaster will still be listed as IAA in all hosts that I checked:

But yes, it does not load anymore 🥶😱

• @tja said:

@lbiyikoglu said:

@tja said:

@lbiyikoglu said:

@StudioSisu said:

That's horrible news, thanks.

Strangely, SynthMaster will still be listed as IAA in all hosts that I checked:

But yes, it does not load anymore 🥶😱

Right, I noticed that in AUM as well. Audiobus does not list them as IAA, so it must use a different way of identifying.

• @lbiyikoglu said:

@tja said:

@lbiyikoglu said:

@StudioSisu said:

Thank you for this insight. It confirms that IAA really is on the way out. It sounds like it will die out gradually as devs like you are forced to update to maintain compatibility with newer hardware and iOS versions.

• @StudioSisu said:

@uncledave said:

@StudioSisu said:

@uncledave I’ve got plenty of space on both iPads, so I’m contacting the dev to see if they can figure this out. Thanks!

I just have a couple more thoughts.

Is iPadOS 15.2.1 your first update to version 15, or did you already have 15.1 or 15.2?

Before you reinstalled the app, did you fully uninstall it, including the data? I wonder if there's a damaged data file that interferes with graceful startup of the app.

• @uncledave said:

@lbiyikoglu said:

@tja said:

@lbiyikoglu said:

@StudioSisu said:

Thank you for this insight. It confirms that IAA really is on the way out. It sounds like it will die out gradually as devs like you are forced to update to maintain compatibility with newer hardware and iOS versions.

Ugh, I gotta start bouncing out all my multi tracks before they up and kill AUv3 one day.

• @uncledave said:

@StudioSisu said:

@uncledave said:

@StudioSisu said:

I just have a couple more thoughts.

Is iPadOS 15.2.1 your first update to version 15, or did you already have 15.1 or 15.2?

Before you reinstalled the app, did you fully uninstall it, including the data? I wonder if there's a damaged data file that interferes with graceful startup of the app.

@uncledave I already had 15.1. But I haven’t uninstalled the data. Guess I’ll try doing that.

• SynthMaster 2 doesn’t open in AUM anymore!! I’ve got IOS 15.2 and the latest update forAUM. Any idea someone?

• @robklotzby said:
    SynthMaster 2 doesn’t open in AUM anymore!! I’ve got IOS 15.2 and the latest update forAUM. Any idea someone?

@kv331audio_bulent

• @robklotzby said:
    SynthMaster 2 doesn’t open in AUM anymore!! I’ve got IOS 15.2 and the latest update forAUM. Any idea someone?

Try restarting your ipad. At least for me SynthMaster has worked fine for throughout all the 15.. updates.