Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

So this is a bit special

edited January 2022 in Other

Followed a link from The Guardian to this 40 minute demonstration that Techno doesn’t necessarily need technology. And what a venue!:

Comments

• I saw MEUTE (translates to ‚pack’ or ‚gang’) live on a festival three years ago :)

They have quite a big youtube channel with lots of song performances and even full concerts.

• Well that was quite fun

• That genuinely made me smile and I was feeling a bit blue today. Thanks.

• Funny how real musicians can make anything sound better.

• edited January 2022

Sorry to take a more critical tone… but isn’t it a pity they are just miming on the roof.

There’s no way the recording we hear is the one being performed live. The acoustics don’t lie. Trust your ears.

I still like it :)

• @tk32 said:
    Sorry to take a more critical tone… but isn’t it a pity they are just miming on the roof.

There’s no way the recording we hear is the one being performed live. The acoustics don’t lie. Trust your ears.

I still like it :)

Right this is definitely using technology for sure.

• I wondered about the recording, too. I actually think miming is harder than actual recording. I mean there’s no room for error, is there?

• edited January 2022

@LinearLineman @tk32 @DMan : from the venue’s official web page

https://www.elbphilharmonie.de/en/mediatheque/elbphilharmonie-sessions-meute/6

“A big team of cameras, drones, sound recording and lighting equipment accompanied the Meute musicians as sunset approached. Everything was recorded live – including the sound!”

You can see that all the instruments are miked, and the performers are wearing in ear monitors. Just yer usual Teutonic efficiency, obvs. I didn’t say they weren’t using any technology… ;)

• That was great. If you ever visit Hamburg definitely check out the Elbphilharmonie. It’s pretty spectacular (even though it overshot the initial price by a cool €1bn).

• edited January 2022

I listened to it again, very carefully.

I'm willing to accept that the audio track was created from the performance captured on the roof (and then overdubbed and re-synced with the video), but there are two things that still ruin the illusion for me...

• The whole track is bathed in reverb - which sounds great, don't get me wrong - but is clearly added in post.
    • The bassdrum in the track is a digital one, and seems not at all connected with the physical drum that guy in the middle keeps beating with a stick.
  • edited January 2022

@tk32 : I defer to your expertise. I’m not their manager or anything.

Of course, I can imagine it would be relatively easy for a competent sound engineer to do a whole lot of things to the live recording in post, including tracking a bass drum. That isn’t quite the same as a bunch of actors in funny outfits miming to a backing track, though. They aren’t Milli Vanilli:

https://www.biography.com/news/milli-vanilli-lip-sync-scandal

Meute’s whole deal is playing acoustic covers of techno hits live, including plenty of open air street events judging from the stuff I read up on after seeing their video. They are a marching band, after all.

I just thought it was cool.It’d still be cool if they did it in a recording studio. Just not as cool as a big scary roof.

And now it must be time for this again. Never gets old:

• Been done before... :smiley:

• Good as time as any to bring up my favorite musical collective—Alarm Will Sound—and favorite album of the early aughts—Acoustica.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/acoustica/410402556

• That was great. The building was pretty amazing too.

• @Svetlovska - just to be clear - I enjoyed the video, and am very pleased you shared it here.

I just couldn't enjoy the artistic side without also critically analysing all of the technical aspects - a disorder I've suffered with for many years :joy:

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    That was great. If you ever visit Hamburg definitely check out the Elbphilharmonie. It’s pretty spectacular (even though it overshot the initial price by a cool €1bn).

Not music related, but if you happen to be in Hamburg I'd also recommend the Miniatur Wunderland - went there just to kill some time between a St Pauli match and my flight, but it actually turned out to be pretty great.

• @FastGhost said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:
    That was great. If you ever visit Hamburg definitely check out the Elbphilharmonie. It’s pretty spectacular (even though it overshot the initial price by a cool €1bn).

Not music related, but if you happen to be in Hamburg I'd also recommend the Miniatur Wunderland - went there just to kill some time between a St Pauli match and my flight, but it actually turned out to be pretty great.

Went there with one of my little nieces. Expected some fuddy-duddy miniature railroad. Was greeted by a three storey NASA-level trip. Those guys are nuts!