Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using Audiobus for live performance

Hi everyone, I have an iPad 7gen 10.2 with iPad os 15.... anyone knows if I can run Thor syntheziser inside Audiobus,and use midiflow splitter for doing splits between Thor and other synths as Poison or iWavestation and play them with a controller?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Comments

• @SlvKeys said:
    Hi everyone, I have an iPad 7gen 10.2 with iPad os 15.... anyone knows if I can run Thor syntheziser inside Audiobus,and use midiflow splitter for doing splits between Thor and other synths as Poison or iWavestation and play them with a controller?

Yeah. I did that using my iPad 6th Generation. Well, not with Thor (sadly, didn't purchase it), but a lot of IAA works with that.

• @SlvKeys said:

The biggest shortfall is Thor doesn't support State Saving. You will need to save a preset before closing an Audiobus session and restore that preset after loading an Audiobus session to get back to where you were.

I can't say for sure about MidiFlow splitter since I don't own Thor, but I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work unless Thor happens to be one of those apps that listens to hardware directly no matter what you do.

• Wim and seonnthaproducer..... thanks so much for your help!! :)

Going more in detail, I only play 2 synth bass patches from Thor with a Keytar..... so, state saving for me is not a problem.... and what I need to do is play that same Thor or another instance of it with the same patch on a 49 keys controller splitted with another synth patch from Poison 202 or iWavestation.
    If its possible to do it, I could stop playing the bass on the keytar and play the 49 midi controller with a synth sound with the right hand and still play the Thor bass patch with the left hand.

Thor and Poison 202 has the chance to select any connected midi input or not.... Korg apps you can only change the midi channel..... but the input is always on and you can't choose a specific midi device. :'(

Other solution could be using another little controller "Akai LPK25" above the 49 keys and do the midi routing in Cubasis 2..... but the Audiobus way if it works is a better solution for me, putting inside the soft case another midi controller.... even a little one is a pain in the ass.

If any of you have experience playing live with an iPad near to the way I want to do it.... how is your experience?

Thanks for your help!!

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

@SlvKeys said:
    Wim and seonnthaproducer..... thanks so much for your help!! :)

Going more in detail, I only play 2 synth bass patches from Thor with a Keytar..... so, state saving for me is not a problem.... and what I need to do is play that same Thor or another instance of it with the same patch on a 49 keys controller splitted with another synth patch from Poison 202 or iWavestation.

If its possible to do it, I could stop playing the bass on the keytar and play the 49 midi controller with a synth sound with the right hand and still play the Thor bass patch with the left hand.

Thor and Poison 202 has the chance to select any connected midi input or not.... Korg apps you can only change the midi channel..... but the input is always on and you can't choose a specific midi device. :'(

>
    You can only run one instance of Thor. But the rest should be possible. As for Korg apps listening to the hardware no matter what, when I tried iM1 it didn't do that when loaded in a MIDI output slot in Audiobus.

Other solution could be using another little controller "Akai LPK25" above the 49 keys and do the midi routing in Cubasis 2..... but the Audiobus way if it works is a better solution for me, putting inside the soft case another midi controller.... even a little one is a pain in the ass.

If any of you have experience playing live with an iPad near to the way I want to do it.... how is your experience?

I don't have experience playing live as you want to do it, but I've tried all the apps (except Thor) and haven't had any problems using keyboard splits.

Do you have Audiobus already? If so, I recommend just jumping in and trying it. It won't take you long, and if you run into issues you can describe them here and I'm almost certain you'll get answers that'll result in a workable combination. Pardon the expression, but "There are more than one way to skin a cat." on iOS.

• @SlvKeys said:

Would never recommend to use Audiobus for live performance , unless you are using it to complement with existing gear .too much work and instability

• Wim and hisdudeness, again.... thanks for all your advices.

Right now for me the more stable combination of apps is Thor and then do all the midi routing and sounds on MiniSampler in Cubasis 2.

Korg iM1 shows some inestability even in an iPad 7th gen.

I think I will give a chance to audiobus and see what happens..... but as hisdudeness said, iOS is still a non stable platform for live performance.... I am still thinking of having a Macbook Pro with Reason 5 if there is a problem...... but going to a gig with only the controllers and an iPad is perfect.

Thanks to all of you.

• wimwim
    edited February 2022

@hisdudeness is totally entitled to that opinion. On the other hand, there are live performers on this forum that have used Audiobus in live settings for years with no complaints. It all comes down to careful testing and change-control (i.e. rigorous re-testing when making setup changes).

• @wim said:
    @hisdudeness is totally entitled to that opinion. On the other hand, there are live performers on this forum that have used Audiobus in live settings for years with no complaints. It all comes down to careful testing and change-control (i.e. rigorous re-testing when making setup changes).

Wim... thanks for your advice.