Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best 49 key midi controller?

So over the course of the pandemic I’ve been slowly moving my workflow to entirely ITB with an iPad and MacBook. So as such I’m now looking for a quality midi controller that has: 4 octaves (not enough desk space for more than that), 16 pads, assignable knobs, and decent keys. Right now the Keylab MkII is the top contender, especially with the software bundle that comes with it, but I’m open to any recommendations. $400-$500 is about the max I’m wanting to spend.

I’m finally getting over the hardware obsession and realizing I simply just work best and have the most fun when I’m completely ITB so I’m making the move.

Comments

• I suggest Arturia MKll.

• I have been quite pleased with my Alesis vi49 for a couple of years. It has lots of assignable buttons (36) and rotary controls (12), transport controls, semi-weighted keys with aftertouch, real pitch-bend/mod-wheel etc. The main downside is the 16 pads, which it has but I find them not great (stiff and with low velocity control). I use them more for selecting clips than doing anything percussive for that reason.

• @hellquist said:
    I have been quite pleased with my Alesis vi49 for a couple of years. It has lots of assignable buttons (36) and rotary controls (12), transport controls, semi-weighted keys with aftertouch, real pitch-bend/mod-wheel etc. The main downside is the 16 pads, which it has but I find them not great (stiff and with low velocity control). I use them more for selecting clips than doing anything percussive for that reason.

Ah gotcha. Thanks for the input. The pads are a key component for me as percussion is one of the biggest parts of my music, but it does seem very nice other than that.

• @LinearLineman said:
    I suggest Arturia MKll.

Thanks!

• I think Akai is known for the quality of their pads.

• @LinearLineman said:
    I think Akai is known for the quality of their pads.

I had considered that as well but I apparently the Keylab has the same pads as the Drumbrute impact and the new Minilab, which are both nearing on Akai quality so I think I’m willing to compromise a tad as I like the feel of Arturias keybed better. That said, the Novation is also a contender right now.

• Which controller allows you to send midi data via separate midi channels? Like say the pads or rotaries?

• I think the MKll has the same keybed as the Minibrute which is their high end. Also, excellent connectivity and a metal case and wheels.

• I find it’s hard to get everything you want in one midi controller

So I usually have one keyboard and an extra pad controller, I like to keep the drum pads separate.

• I'm saving up for the mAudio oxygen pro 49 to use with my iPad. Would welcome any thoughts from folks that have it already.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Which controller allows you to send midi data via separate midi channels? Like say the pads or rotaries?

You don't need an expensive controller for that. For example, my Nektar LX61+ lets me change the channel for each of its controls and pads. It's a bit of a chore though, since each one must be done separately. But all configuration is done on the unit (no computer app), and it has 3 user presets that store different configs.

But my preference is to leave this stuff alone and mangle the data as needed in a StreamByter script. That way, each session can use the controller differently, as needed.

• I see, i need to learn how to use these midi apps like StreamByter.

@uncledave said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    Which controller allows you to send midi data via separate midi channels? Like say the pads or rotaries?

You don't need an expensive controller for that. For example, my Nektar LX61+ lets me change the channel for each of its controls and pads. It's a bit of a chore though, since each one must be done separately. But all configuration is done on the unit (no computer app), and it has 3 user presets that store different configs.

But my preference is to leave this stuff alone and mangle the data as needed in a StreamByter script. That way, each session can use the controller differently, as needed.

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    I find it’s hard to get everything you want in one midi controller

So I usually have one keyboard and an extra pad controller, I like to keep the drum pads separate.

I like to have mine all in one for ergonomic reasons. Also it saves space, which I have little of to begin with.

• If I was buying a 49 key midi keyboard the novation SL MK III would be top of my list.

Quite expensive but does everything and has an 8 track pattern based sequencer.

The pads can launch clips or be used for finger drumming and the pads also have polyphonic aftertouch.

It maybe overkill but when it comes to controller keyboards, buy once buy well. It should last many iPad lifetimes!

The immediacy of a hardware sequencer is great and shouldn’t be underestimated, even or especially when coupled with an iPad as a sound source.

• I’m starting to eye the Nektar Panorama P4. It has a ton of encoders with a nice color screen to see their positions, faders, and a single motorized fader.
    https://nektartech.com/panorama-p4-p6/

• This has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, in my opinion, users who plan to use the controller for more than 3 years and 6 months should not choose a MIDI controller with rubber coated parts. There is a risk of melting, getting sticky, or cracking. It is safer to find out what kind of material the faders, modulation wheel, and pitch wheel are made of before users buy them. (As for those rubbery coatings, I don't know if those are really rubber or a material that looks like rubber but has nothing to do with rubber). Also, because of the small sample size, there is no strong evidence for the 3 years and 6 months period.