Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I've used Cubasis 2 and here are my thoughts (switch to Cubasis 3, what I miss from Garageband)

Cubasis is an interesting DAW. It's got a lot of great features, and has a lot more customizability. That said, it's not perfect. Here's a video comparing features I like/dislike about Cubasis 2 compared to Garageband, and why I'm switching to Cubasis 3.

Some of the topics include Great MIDI handling in Cubasis, but the lack of Smart drummer, and World instruments is a bit of a letdown. Yet, there's a ton of advantages.

Anyways, here's the video.

">

link

Comments

• Well. Cubasis 3 is on sale for $30.. Tempting.. Ableton link would be so … natural… for multiple iPads/IPhone… well I have a few weeks before the end of the sale..

• @RajahP said:
    Well. Cubasis 3 is on sale for $30.. Tempting.. Ableton link would be so … natural… for multiple iPads/IPhone… well I have a few weeks before the end of the sale..

True. I've started looking into Cubasis 3 already and I can say it's insane. It's about a 30% improvement from Cubasis 2, based on my limited use. @krassmann and @jwmmakerofmusic were right to recommend it. I haven't still got into the Waves FX because I've been using my previous plugins to great results but I probably should get to work on that soon.

• I thought you would like Cubasis 3.
    I wouldn’t recommended you getting the Waves plug-ins.
    You have more than enough to cover what the Waves plug-ins do.

Ableton would be amazing for Cubasis 3 but that’s were Midi link sync comes in.

On that note I’ll have a look at the video a little bit later on.

Glad you’re enjoying it.

By the way I already have 32 tracks on the go in Cubasis 3.

Auria Pro needs some bug fixing as the midi has gone awol at the moment.

Ciao for now.

• @Gravitas said:
    I thought you would like Cubasis 3.
    I wouldn’t recommended you getting the Waves plug-ins.
    You have more than enough to cover what the Waves plug-ins do.

Ableton would be amazing for Cubasis 3 but that’s were Midi link sync comes in.

On that note I’ll have a look at the video a little bit later on.

Glad you’re enjoying it.

By the way I already have 32 tracks on the go in Cubasis 3.

Auria Pro needs some bug fixing as the midi has gone awol at the moment.

Ciao for now.

Thanks. Appreciate it. Yeah, there’s a lot of things I wanna try on Cubasis and some of the other DAWs.
    Too late about the plugins, haha. Got them way back in 2020 for Cubasis 2-LE. They transferred successfully to Cubasis 3.

I do want to test a lot more things. The workflow improvement in Cubasis 3 was a benefit but there’s a lot more things to try…stretch algorithm, go through the sounds of Cubasis and find my favourites, and more.

• Cubasis vs Garageband isn't really a fair comparison. Garageband has three things going for it, the instruments, the loops, and usability. I can't quite put my finger on the usability point (there's a joke in there somewhere), but GB is simply better at understanding what i want to do when editing midi. GB doesn't need to be told that i want to adjust the length of a section or note, and it understands where the playhead / zoom level should be when opening the MIDI editor. Cubasis feels 'fiddly' by comparison, but it can do so much more!

• @seonnthaproducer said:

@RajahP said:
    Well. Cubasis 3 is on sale for $30.. Tempting.. Ableton link would be so … natural… for multiple iPads/IPhone… well I have a few weeks before the end of the sale..

True. I've started looking into Cubasis 3 already and I can say it's insane. It's about a 30% improvement from Cubasis 2, based on my limited use. @krassmann and @jwmmakerofmusic were right to recommend it. I haven't still got into the Waves FX because I've been using my previous plugins to great results but I probably should get to work on that soon.

Cheers mate! Will check the video soon. 🙂 I'm so happy we talked you into Cubasis 3. I may have used Cubasis 2 for a limit amount of things and only use Cubasis 3 for the same limited things (mainly mastering my tracks and sometimes for recording vocals), but it's so damn easy to use compared to the maddening clusterf-ck that is Auria Pro. 🤣

• @belldu said:
    Cubasis vs Garageband isn't really a fair comparison. Garageband has three things going for it, the instruments, the loops, and usability. I can't quite put my finger on the usability point (there's a joke in there somewhere), but GB is simply better at understanding what i want to do when editing midi. GB doesn't need to be told that i want to adjust the length of a section or note, and it understands where the playhead / zoom level should be when opening the MIDI editor. Cubasis feels 'fiddly' by comparison, but it can do so much more!

Exactly my experience

• @belldu said:
    Cubasis vs Garageband isn't really a fair comparison. Garageband has three things going for it, the instruments, the loops, and usability. I can't quite put my finger on the usability point (there's a joke in there somewhere), but GB is simply better at understanding what i want to do when editing midi. GB doesn't need to be told that i want to adjust the length of a section or note, and it understands where the playhead / zoom level should be when opening the MIDI editor. Cubasis feels 'fiddly' by comparison, but it can do so much more!

I think this is a great point. GB gets the usability of midi editing amazingly correct. The automated grid snap, is very well implemented, it should be a Cubasis option. Cubasis is amazing, but does one particular thing thats very weird and makes it very annoying for me to use:

• With two finger zooming and positioning, vertical page movement is reversed - this is completely crazy, and makes it basically unusable.

Other midi edit features I'd like:

• Detecting what possible key you are in (from the piece or by notes selection), and making suggestions. I havent seen this feature anywhere in a midi editor, but it'd be super cool, and I would think quite easy to implement.
    • Optionally only showing you notes in the key you choose, or the piece so far. Gadget does this very nicely.
    • Selection nudge by bar, octave, fifth etc. - Atom gets this right

I really like the GB live-loops, its great for composition. So I tend to start things there, and then move over to Cubasis as it gets closer to completion. However, doing this is very slow and painful. Exporting stems from GB is tedious, and extracting midi, is even worse.. extremely annoying. And then if you magically manage to export the midi (thank you MTR!), the pain of midi edit in Cubasis somehow compounds things! Lol

• I'm not really a big MIDI editing type person. Prefer just recording the part and editing the audio if necessary or desired. I've used Auria Pro for years and then really got into BM3 as the sampler contained within is a very, very useful tool. Also the routing ability to send audio to anywhere I want (sampler pad or audio channel) for direct recording is extremely useful. It's not what I would call the ultimate MIDI environment, but it does have great flexibility and you can even hook up IAA plug ins into it without too much of an issue. As with every piece of "DAW" software I have used on iOS it has some gremlins and idiosyncrasies, but all in all it is a very good solid environment for creating in and not just for beats. I didn't get into Cubasis until I recently upgraded my iPad from a 9.7" iPad Pro to an 11" M1 Pro. Suddenly the world opened up and then it all became a brighter place. I could actually use Cubasis with more than half a dozen tracks and I now don't ever think about resource management - ever. I think that it's a decent programme now. It's integration with MCU is also a very useful thing to have included. It's still not perfect and after using it a bit over the course of a month or so I still find myself going back to BM3 when I want a space of absolute creativity, but CB3 is in active development and is improving all the time and it's nice to have as a mixing environment if I need it.

• Love the conversation here. > @realdawei said:

@belldu said:

Exactly my experience

Agreed. It's always difficult to compare two applications together because each software was designed with a particular workflow, and expertise in mind. So, I'm approaching it from a personal experience, while sharing tips, tricks, and lessons I'm learning along the way.

I found Pete Johns, and @TheGarageBandGuide to have covered a lot of Garageband content very effectively, @MobileMusicPro to have a lot of excellent content on Cubasis 3, and @thesoundtestroom, @Gavinski @sfm @Jadestar (and a few others I haven't mentioned) for the wide variety of tutorial content on applications. So my approach is less tutorial based, and more sharing the journey towards learning specific apps, giving quick tips and tricks I've encountered during the use of the application, while drawing lessons from other apps.

In this case, TONALY, Reason Compact, Piano Motifs, Groovebox, Garageband, Cubasis 2 and Cubasis 3 and more were mentioned/demoed.

Back to the topic, yeah Garageband seems to excellent for its quick ability to lay down ideas. I like Cubasis for taking ideas further/mixing/adding the final enhancement but that's where I am...for now. I still plan on checking out the other DAWs that were on the list.

Excellent points @hat_cake @Mountain_Hamlet

Appreciate it @jwmmakerofmusic

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    Love the conversation here. > @realdawei said:

@belldu said:

Exactly my experience

Agreed. It's always difficult to compare two applications together because each software was designed with a particular workflow, and expertise in mind. So, I'm approaching it from a personal experience, while sharing tips, tricks, and lessons I'm learning along the way.

I found Pete Johns, and @TheGarageBandGuide to have covered a lot of Garageband content very effectively, @MobileMusicPro to have a lot of excellent content on Cubasis 3, and @thesoundtestroom, @Gavinski @sfm @Jadestar (and a few others I haven't mentioned) for the wide variety of tutorial content on applications. So my approach is less tutorial based, and more sharing the journey towards learning specific apps, giving quick tips and tricks I've encountered during the use of the application, while drawing lessons from other apps.

In this case, TONALY, Reason Compact, Piano Motifs, Groovebox, Garageband, Cubasis 2 and Cubasis 3 and more were mentioned/demoed.

Back to the topic, yeah Garageband seems to excellent for its quick ability to lay down ideas. I like Cubasis for taking ideas further/mixing/adding the final enhancement but that's where I am...for now. I still plan on checking out the other DAWs that were on the list.

Excellent points @hat_cake @Mountain_Hamlet

Appreciate it @jwmmakerofmusic

Appreciate the mention! :)

• No worries @MobileMusicPro . I'll probably reference your videos a bit, haha.