Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Neo Soul Keys Studio 2: iOS vs. desktop?

Gospel Musicians is having a $50 flash sale on the desktop version of NSK Studio 2, which caught my eye - the iOS version has long been my go-to for Wurly/Rhodes sounds, so I'm more than a little curious about its older brother. Anyone have both? Is the desktop variant worth the money? It's 50x the size of the iPad app, which suggests potential improvements in sample quality, number of layers, etc...

Comments

• @mambonassau said:
    Gospel Musicians is having a $50 flash sale on the desktop version of NSK Studio 2, which caught my eye - the iOS version has long been my go-to for Wurly/Rhodes sounds, so I'm more than a little curious about its older brother. Anyone have both? Is the desktop variant worth the money? It's 50x the size of the iPad app, which suggests potential improvements in sample quality, number of layers, etc...

Not a single difference.

From Gospel Musicians website :

« Experience the same exact, sounds, presets, and samples on your iPad or iPhone Device. You can save sample space by storing samples on your external SSD or Thumb drive and experience ultra fast sample loading. Our iOS apps have the same user experience as the desktop. »

• I have often wondered about the claim of no difference in that the desktop version of Gospel Musicians apps are powered by the UVI engine which benefits from UVI FX (which are of a very high quality) and the iOS versions which are powered by a bespoke engine. As I understand things, Gospel Musicians are moving to a bespoke engine on the desktop too but I don't know the extent to which this plan is in place (a reasonable slice of income goes to UVI on third party products that use their engine).

It's probably more accurate to say they feature identical sample sets with presets that closely mirror the sonic characteristics of the desktop product. As and when the audio engine is mirrored across both platforms and features the same algorithms for the FX (which has a large bearing on the specifics of the preset timbres), the claim of there being no difference will be more accurate.

Ravenscroft Piano is another third party product that relies on the UVI sample playback engine on the desktop. The iOS version of Ravenscroft also utilises the UVI engine and is sold under UVI brand so it appears unlikely that Gospel Musicians products use the UVI engine on iOS as there's no mention of UVI in their app store descriptions.

This may seem like nitpicking, but the character of EP patch timbres are reliant as much on their FX chains as their source samples.

• @jonmoore said:
    This may seem like nitpicking, but the character of EP patch timbres are reliant as much on their FX chains as their source samples.

Just to complete this discussion, the GM apps on iPad use the FX also sold separately by GM as iFX Rack. They are built on the open-source VKFX VST for desktop. It was expanded with modules from some other open-source packages, and some unique items, like FantasyVerb, presumably implemented by GM. And just recently they've added several new IAP modules, which have not yet made it into the GM apps like Pure Synth Platinum.

• I’ve just double-checked on the gospelmusicians.com website and it appears that only five of their products remain as UVI powered products. On that basis, it's safe to assume that feature/sonic parity across both desktop and mobile platforms is assured for the v2 products that Gospel Musicians now market.

https://gospelmusicians.com/search?q=uvi

• I was just using iOS version last night, way better than Logic’s el pianos.