Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any iBassist experts here?

Need some help setting up iBassist with the other Lumbeat apps. And I HAVE followed the Soundtest room tutorial video on YT. But it is not working.

Thanks

Comments

• In a completely different track: Have you looked into "One Man Band". It allows you to import Yamaha styles from their Arranger keyboards.

iBassist since @LuisMartinez doesn't do AUv3 (as I'm sure you know). But it does know about all the drummers. Have you also looked at the videos Luis created?

If you go to this page and search for 'Ibassist" there are 18 videos in all. Like...

• If people stopped bugging @LuisMartinez about AUv3 which might be a programming challenge he's not willing to entertain, he might participate here. I wonder what fraction of his user base participates here. His at the top of the game for realistic drumming apps everything else tends to sound like a machine but many prefer that over the traditional drummers.

• @McD
    That second video is great
    I have had this app for about year and not really used it much
    But thanks, tomorrow I am gonna spend sometime with this and try and master it
    Loopy pro is gonna get some new loops

• @McD said:
    In a completely different track: Have you looked into "One Man Band". It allows you to import Yamaha styles from their Arranger keyboards.

iBassist since @LuisMartinez doesn't do AUv3 (as I'm sure you know). But it does know about all the drummers. Have you also looked at the videos Luis created?

If you go to this page and search for 'Ibassist" there are 18 videos in all. Like...

Thanks I'll check them out...might be better than the Soundtestroom one!

• @pax-eterna said:

@McD said:
    In a completely different track: Have you looked into "One Man Band". It allows you to import Yamaha styles from their Arranger keyboards.

Thanks I'll check them out...might be better than the Soundtestroom one!

If you have trouble getting it working, it would help people know how to help you, if you explain what you have tried and what happens

• edited January 2022

@espiegel123 said:

If you have trouble getting it working, it would help people know how to help you, if you explain what you have tried and what happens

Ok far easier and less typing to link the video I got the info from:

And as I wrote, I followed all the steps in that video and it does not play the drum app. Not sure how much more I can tell you really.

And tbh, if you don't have the app then nothing I write will make a difference, and if you do and actively use it, you would know enough to advise further. n'est-ce pas?

• I started iBassist, changed the MIDI channel from 10 to 1, started Soft Drummer, selected iBassist for both MIDI In and Out, changed back to iBassist, pressed on Play, and both Apps were jamming together!

• @tja said:
    I started iBassist, changed the MIDI channel from 10 to 1, started Soft Drummer, selected iBassist for both MIDI In and Out, changed back to iBassist, pressed on Play, and both Apps were jamming together!

thanks tja, ...that is exactly what I did (also explained in the video link I provided) but for some reason it will not work...got to be something simple I am missing - I even tried pressing the "Link" tab in both apps.

• edited January 2022

@tja said:
    I started iBassist, changed the MIDI channel from 10 to 1, started Soft Drummer, selected iBassist for both MIDI In and Out, changed back to iBassist, pressed on Play, and both Apps were jamming together!

got it fixed...only had the "Link" tab active on Soft Drummer, not both. I might add that pressing that Link tab was not in any videos I have seen. I only pressed them as a logical hunch, given that the apps need to communicate with each other!

I guess they (the demo video creators) take it as a given that they are already linked :)

• @pax-eterna said:
    got it fixed...

I have been right where you are... this is hard won knowledge. The good news is that AUM also support Ableton Link and I should start the 2 Lumbeats apps. Now, if that's true can AUM call up new presets with iBassist and "Drummer of your Choice" loaded and configured correctly? And does a Bluetooth MIDI pedal connect to AUM's Transport Controls (Start/Stop)?

I'm rooting for you to get everything set up correctly and working. Then hopefully, you'll be the "iPad as an Arranger MIDI hardware device". Did you catch the fact that iBassist can also send out MIDI chords (either whole notes or a few selectable cheesy rhythm patterns).

I hope it all comes together.

• @McD said:
    . . . Did you catch the fact that iBassist can also send out MIDI chords (either whole notes or a few selectable cheesy rhythm patterns).

I haven't done it yet myself, but I don't think it would be that hard to configure iBassist to send MIDI chords, or maybe just a chord root, out to a utility like Mozaic that can tweak the chord notes and rhythms more flexibly than the options iBassist allows for MIDI chords.

• edited January 2022

The one thing I always hoped for in iBassist is that random would truly be random notes (within a scale) rather than just picking a preset at random which is what I think it currently does?

• Would be nice to have bass packs for this beauty.. $5 a pop?

• edited January 2022

@gusgranite said:
    The one thing I always hoped for in iBassist is that random would truly be random notes (within a scale) rather than just picking a preset at random which is what I think it currently does?

Random notes, I think when you set the improvise/fill level pretty high, the bass player will get more funky.

But I agree, a random pattern generator like riffler, riffer, of pure acid would be a very nice feature.

As a side note, on the original Digitech Trio pedal, the bass player was very active and busy, and for me that was pretty annoying, from a guitar player perspective. Better to keep it down a bit. The Trio+ pedal is improved, the bass player plays less funky and adventurous.

What also annoys me in Ibassist, when I program my own chord progression, and choose a different bass line, my own chord progression is gone. I have to audition the bass lines first, and then adjust the chord progression, and don´t touch the bass line or progressions anymore. Could be my error, have to investigate this a bit more.

• edited January 2022

@raabje, touch the lock icon between the top rows of LINE and PROGRESSION to keep the current progression when switching styles.

It’s fairly dark and easy to overlook.

• Okay, thanks, I will take a look at that.

Making music on IOS is great, but every app has its own style for the interface, and its own quirks . Learning how all the stuff (exactly) works is time consuming.

• @pax-eterna said:
    Need some help setting up iBassist with the other Lumbeat apps. And I HAVE followed the Soundtest room tutorial video on YT. But it is not working.

Thanks

I have experimented a lot with Ibassist and his drum apps
    There’s always a bug or 2 , snooping around
    I have faced many

What exactly is the trouble ?

Also Lumbeat is very responsive on Facebook

• Hi all … I am brand new to Audiobus and this is my first post here. I am successfully running iBassist and Soft Drums in Audiobus and they are playing nicely with one another. The thing that I have been unable to get to work is having iBassist follow the chords being played on an external midi keyboard. IBassist recognizes my midi keyboard but I can’t get the bass line to respond to the chords I play. (I have turned on Live Midi Input.) Has anyone been successful with this and, if so, how did you do it? Thanks.

• I didn't check myself yet, but do you want to trigger bass lines or motifs with a midi keyboard with the note you play, or just play bass guitar notes with the keyboard?

I am not sure the fist approach is possible with Ibassist.

• Thanks for the quick reply. I hope to be able to do the first approach. Instead of iBassist playing along to a progression of chords that you enter, I would like it to do the same thing but play along with a progression of chords as I play them live on a midi keyboard. The other thing that iBassist can do is to pass along this chord information on 2 separate midi channels so that you can control other instruments with the midi chords.

• @OldTimerBill Try this..

• Live Midi input is on
    • check that your keyboard is selected as a midi in source (under midi icon)
    • check that you have the correct Chord Detection Midi Channel (under gear icon)
    • sometimes I’d have to be on the progressions page to start out.. then I could switch over to the bass lines page..

iBassist was a bit flakey.. communication issues with AB3.. no way to set local network permissions that I could find..
    Eventually it warmed up + seemed stable..