Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

An AUv3 that could do Frequency Modulation with any source audios

Wouldn't it be neat to be able to send source audios and then structure them with FM algorithms, having them modulate each other in different orders? So you'd have one synth, send its waveforms to be modulated by a different synth, and so on. I'm probably missing something here with it either being very difficult to accomplish, or already done.

Comments

• At least SunVox, Drambo and MiRack can already do this with a bit of creative patching.
    There might be some others out there that I may have missed...

• @Samu said:
    At least SunVox, Drambo and MiRack can already do this with a bit of creative patching.

I was trying to do it in Drambo recently and couldn't figure it out. Literally what I finally bought Drambo to try (so I'm brand new to Drambo and probably don't know how to use it fully yet). Any direction you could point me in for setting this up in there? I couldn't seem to "patch" different synths into the audio source to be modulated by different synths. It essentially just runs all the different sounds in parallel.

• QuatroMod by Audio Damage has a frequency shifting effect, but sounds like that’s not exactly what you’re looking for…

• WTKWTK
    edited January 2022

IIrc RM-1 Wavemodulator (Numerical Audio) can do something like this. You can use the side chain as a carrier signal and the main input as modulator signal.

https://apps.apple.com/de/app/rm-1-wave-modulator/id1436855751

• @WTK said:
    IIrc RM-1 Wavemodulator (Numerical Audio) can do something like this. You can use the side chain as a carrier signal and the main input as modulator signal.

https://apps.apple.com/de/app/rm-1-wave-modulator/id1436855751

Looks like it might be able to do this! Gonna try it out thanks.

• @tsamba said:

I was trying to do it in Drambo recently and couldn't figure it out. Literally what I finally bought Drambo to try (so I'm brand new to Drambo and probably don't know how to use it fully yet). Any direction you could point me in for setting this up in there? I couldn't seem to "patch" different synths into the audio source to be modulated by different synths. It essentially just runs all the different sounds in parallel.

Well, there's nothing stopping you from loading multiple AUv3's or Flexi Samplers to one track and using their outputs to drive the FM Modules or do some other stuff with their output or use it as a modulation source for stuff.

This is the simplest form, using OB-Xd AUv3 as the modulator for the FM Operator.

One thing to remember with Drambo is the everything goes Left->Right and Up-Down.

In order to route Audio into Drambo in for example AUM Drambo needs to be loaded into the effects slot.
    After that you can add the Audio Input module and use the audio to modulate anything.

The Drambo Forum is a good way to get further assistance if needed.
    http://forum.beepstreet.com

Good Luck!

• @tsamba said:

@Samu said:
    At least SunVox, Drambo and MiRack can already do this with a bit of creative patching.

FM works by modulating the frequency or phase of an oscillator by another waveform. I don't believe you can FM modulate a waveform, since it does not have a distinct frequency. The Drambo FM Operator allows this, and you might be able to hack it into the base Oscillator. How were you trying to patch a synth to be modulated by a different synth? Were you connecting to an FM input?

• @uncledave said:

FM works by modulating the frequency or phase of an oscillator by another waveform. I don't believe you can FM modulate a waveform, since it does not have a distinct frequency. The Drambo FM Operator allows this, and you might be able to hack it into the base Oscillator. How were you trying to patch a synth to be modulated by a different synth? Were you connecting to an FM input?

Look, we don't need to get into how uninformed and embarrassingly planned my initial attempts at doing this were :D
    If y'all are saying it can be done though, in an approximate way at least, I will keep trying to figure it out.

• @tsamba Modulating frequency with samples and other audio source is quite nice especially when used as modulators.

One thing to keep in mind is that FM (as in classic FM) is 'phase modulation' so playing the sample/audio source at low speed creates more interesting textures and doing it the other way around (ie. using a simple oscillator to modulate a sample) that creates more of a 'fast vibrato' effect and with a sample it becomes in most cases 'digital noise'.

The upcoming FMX (5OP FM with audio input) in SunVox 2 will make these kind of experiments very easy as it allows you to route audio to any of the operators and use it as either modulator or carrier and there's multiple modulation modes (Add, Subtract, Multiply, Bit-Shift, And, Or, XoR).

Personally I like to add/sub/multiple the sources for some real mayhem.
    (You'll find these in the Math category in Drambo).

Experimentation is always fun and we all learn as we go :)

• @Samu this is great info, thanks for the help. What you've described with SunVox 2 sounds awesome. Looking more into that app now.

• @tsamba said:
    @Samu this is great info, thanks for the help. What you've described with SunVox 2 sounds awesome. Looking more into that app now.

Worth remembering is that SunVox is SunVox you'll either love it or hate it...
    There's really no 'middle ground' and the learning curve can be steep :sunglasses:

• edited January 2022

I think shifting the frequency is akin to FM. You can do this with any signal in Drambo.

Here you have an Audio input going into the Frequency shifter. The amount of frequency shift is modules by another audio source, in this case auv3 Flowtones.

• Getting some very cool sounds in Drambo following the template Samu posted earlier. Simple little mixer in between to allow for an FM Operator to modulate multiple other FM Operators. Good stuff.

• @tsamba said:
    Getting some very cool sounds in Drambo following the template Samu posted earlier. Simple little mixer in between to allow for an FM Operator to modulate multiple other FM Operators. Good stuff.

Learning by doing is the best way to learn :smiley:

• In terms of audio-rate modulation. Moog's Model 15 can be loaded as an FX and that can be great fun. In combo with RM-1 Wave Modulator, things can get nice and dirty. Living Memory also has their Wavefolder AUv3, which is great in the FX chain too (with Wave Modulator or without).

• @bcrichards said:
    I think shifting the frequency is akin to FM. You can do this with any signal in Drambo.
    Here you have an Audio input going into the Frequency shifter. The amount of frequency shift is modules by another audio source, in this case auv3 Flowtones.

Not entirely sure what is going on here, but I tried it out and it does sound like FM :thumbsup:

• @tsamba This video gets to the nuts and bolts of the Frequency Shift module in Drambo.

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

Almost all miRack oscillator modules have FM input. You can send audio from any synth into miRack and then into any of those modules. It gets a bit complicated since you also need to take care of the amp envelope for most of them though. But, once you have something set up, you can do lots of things with it. Here's a simple patch that could be expanded in many ways.

The biggest drawback though is miRack is monophonic unless you do lots of complicated things to produce pseudo polyphony.

• That said ... I think the closest fit to this is RM1 Wave Modulator in an FX slot.

• @wim said:
    That said ... I think the closest fit to this is RM1 Wave Modulator in an FX slot.

indeed.. but i think it only works this way for RM, I've tried with FM and the only signal that RM-1 takes as modulator is the internal one

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

@sharifkerbage said:

@wim said:
    That said ... I think the closest fit to this is RM1 Wave Modulator in an FX slot.

indeed.. but i think it only works this way for RM, I've tried with FM and the only signal that RM-1 takes as modulator is the internal one

It works fine for me with all the modulation types. I'm referring to the FX version, loaded in an FX slot in AUM, with input coming from the AUM input node.

• @Samu said:
    @tsamba Modulating frequency with samples and other audio source is quite nice especially when used as modulators.

One thing to keep in mind is that FM (as in classic FM) is 'phase modulation' so playing the sample/audio source at low speed creates more interesting textures and doing it the other way around (ie. using a simple oscillator to modulate a sample) that creates more of a 'fast vibrato' effect and with a sample it becomes in most cases 'digital noise'.

The upcoming FMX (5OP FM with audio input) in SunVox 2 will make these kind of experiments very easy as it allows you to route audio to any of the operators and use it as either modulator or carrier and there's multiple modulation modes (Add, Subtract, Multiply, Bit-Shift, And, Or, XoR).

Personally I like to add/sub/multiple the sources for some real mayhem.
    (You'll find these in the Math category in Drambo).

Experimentation is always fun and we all learn as we go :)

So if I slowed an audio clip down really slow, I could get close to lfo like modulations? I’ve always done it at regular speeds and can hear that digital noise type sound but my mind is going nuts with possibilities now