Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IR Loader by Nembrini Audio

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1594602851

Description:

The Nembrini Audio IR Loader is an innovative and complete impulse response loader specially designed to load your favorite cabinet IRs.

It also allows you to manipulate them with guitar and bass tuned tools like the 6 band parametric equalizer and the custom desk compressor.

The onboard custom-designed desk compressor with side chain high pass filter, 6 band parametric equalizer with graphic implementation and spectrum analyzer, the bass enhancer make the Nembrini Audio IR Loader the perfect tool to manage and manipulate your guitar and bass cabinet IRs.

INPUT OUTPUT / POWER AMPLIFIER
Here you can control the general input and output of the plugin and the Power Amplifier section.
Power Amplifier modelled on an AB Push-Pull EL34 tube amplifier with 3 feedback modes.

COMPRESSION / BASS ENHANCER
Custom-designed desk compressor with side chain high pass filter.
Bass Enhancer that increase the bass frequency content. Over 24dB of low-end boost are available. The level below the selected frequency is reduced to add focus to the boosted low end.

EQUALIZER
6 band equalizer with real-time spectrum analyser.
High degree of control and precision.

Works as a standalone app, AudioUnit v3 effect, or Inter-App Audio effect

Details:
Universal: Yes
Minimum OS version: 9.3
Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

Comments

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

Sez "IR Loader" but doesn't mention anything about import of your own IRs and no screenshots show it. I can't find the product on their web site yet either.

I'm going to sit back a bit and let others figure this one out first.

• @wim said:
    Sez "IR Loader" but doesn't mention anything about import of your own IRs and no screenshots show it. I can't find the product on their web site yet either.

I'm going to sit back a bit and let others figure this one out first.

Wait what? The very first sentence literally mentions the thing you say it doesn’t mention.

It’s an IR Loader, of course it loads IRs! It’s not selling an app full of preloaded IRs, if that’s what you were uncertain about.

Also, an IR loader with onboard compression and eq for $5. Hot damn.

• I'm curious if it can be used for reverbs, can someone try with a longer IR?

• edited January 2022

As somebody who knows little about guitars would it help a synth guy who use internal synth mostly?

• @Toastedghost said:
    As somebody who knows little about guitars would it help a synth guy who use internal synth mostly?

Everything sounds better through a guitar cabinet. o:)

• @Toastedghost said:

Was wondering the same. Could be good to add a bit a grit to synths.

• Yes, its help to synths , drums, also amps from NB are usefull for non guitar tracks.
    This ir loader accept external (user) irs, didnt tried yet with longer irs.

• I have to try this out.
    Looks like just one IR vs the 3 on the desktop version. But I guess you can load a second instance on a send as a workaround. I currently use IMPULsation which is fine but strictly for guitars seems like this offers some handy extras. Don’t know if I’ll use the compressor or eq on this but it’s handy, maybe interesting to save as presets. Plus the UI feels more appropriate for “guitar mindset”.
    Wonder how the IR browser works, if it has sub folders and so on. I do like the browser in IMPULsation when you’re dealing with a shit-ton of IRs as is often the case with omhammer and such.

• edited January 2022

Not working with long irs here.
    To load ir just select file.

• This plugin is a serious disappointment, IMHO. The feature it’s named after - loading impulse responses - is pathetic. You can load one at a time, no blending multiple IRs, and you select them with the Files app picker - no importing whole zips, no nothing. You can control the gain - whoopsie doo, nothing else. Sure there are other features, but. why? I wanted an IR loader, dammit, one that matched the IR experience in Nembrini’s desktop sims, otherwise what’s the point? And whaddyamean you don’t have a compressor or an EQ plugin?

I was hoping that this plugin might actually fill the gap in iOS impulse response processing. I guess if I expected that, I should also expect to pay a bit more for it. Thing is, I’d be perfectly happy to do just that...

So, in my sadness at this thing, I recalled the wonderful IR system in the equally wonderful Rhino. Then it hit me - Rhino is modular, so if I want an IR loader to use with my Nembrini apps, which sometimes sound better, I can just switch off the ampy bits in Rhino and use it as an IR and/or effects processor. Works a treat. Slightly more expensive, but much better value.

• @tahiche said:
    Wonder how the IR browser works, if it has sub folders and so on. I do like the browser in IMPULsation when you’re dealing with a shit-ton of IRs as is often the case with omhammer and such.

From what I can tell you load one IR at a time from the Files app. At first I thought this was a bit disappointing, but on reflection it's not that different to having all the IRs loaded in the app.

If you have your IRs well organised in Files (I have mine on iCloud with folders and subfolders) you can just point the IR loader there and it seems to remember where your files are for next time. So in effect it's not that different to just selecting presets in IMPULStation for example, except that you're using Files rather than presets. The only real downside is that there are no arrows to go from one IR to another.

• I like it so far. I keep a cab IR folder on the iPad and it’s easy enough to find and load one and then save it as a preset. Coincidentally, I’ve been favoring Nembrini amps lately (vs. TH-U, Rhino, etc.) so this feels complimentary.

• @richardyot said:

@tahiche said:

From what I can tell you load one IR at a time from the Files app. At first I thought this was a bit disappointing, but on reflection it's not that different to having all the IRs loaded in the app.

If you have your IRs well organised in Files (I have mine on iCloud with folders and subfolders) you can just point the IR loader there and it seems to remember where your files are for next time. So in effect it's not that different to just selecting presets in IMPULStation for example, except that you're using Files rather than presets. The only real downside is that there are no arrows to go from one IR to another.

Yep. Very pleased with this. No importing, no duplicated files, you can even tag your favorite IRS… and accessing them in iCloud is great to save space. I’m not sure if/when this “sandbox” paradigm has changed but this is the right approach.
    I was actually trying to export my IMPULsation IRs and it’s impossible, they’re all placed in the private folder after import. Don’t like that at all.

• @tahiche said:

@richardyot said:

@tahiche said:

Yep. Very pleased with this. No importing, no duplicated files, you can even tag your favorite IRS… and accessing them in iCloud is great to save space. I’m not sure if/when this “sandbox” paradigm has changed but this is the right approach.
    I was actually trying to export my IMPULsation IRs and it’s impossible, they’re all placed in the private folder after import. Don’t like that at all.

And actually it works better than I thought, as @Schmotown says you can save presets within the app itself so in a way it's the best of both of both worlds.

• I bought it instantly, more or less just to support Nembrini. Do I “need it”? Not in the slightest…

Might try it with synth sounds and such, but for my guitar stuff, I’m already neck deep in IRs with my new MOOER GE-200 pedal and their online community with tons of cabinet and amp samples being posted every day. Not to mention their GE-Labs app which adds a whole other dimension.

And then of course the 3rd party premium IRS like Ownhammer which I bought a pack of a while back, where there’s like a thousand IR files to choose from, which is way too much if you ask me… I only need one or two good ones! Maybe 3 to cover all the styles I use.

• edited January 2022

Bought it, just to test is. I tried some THU rigs with one of my favorite IR files. It just sound different, not better. I think I like the combined cabs in the rigplayer more, it is a bit more "vintage correct" this way.

The app itself is great as it is.

• @raabje said:
    Bought it, just to test is. I tried some THU rigs with one of my favorite IR files. It just sound different, not better. I think I like the combined cabs in the rigplayer more, it is a bit more "vintage correct" this way.

If you have THU, you have an IR loader there. Were you aware of that?

• I’ve been waiting for this on iOS with some anticipation ever since I noticed it as a menu option in the Nembrini standalone host released at the end of last year, but I have to admit to being very confused.

It’s clearly intended to be used in a signal chain alongside the other Nembrini amps, compressors, EQs, delays, reverbs etc. So what is the purpose of the built-in power amp, compressor and EQ? I would usually place a compressor and/or EQ ahead of a guitar amp and cab IR. The description suggests that these features are intended to be used to modify the IR in some way. Are they intended to replace the use of discrete amp, EQ and compressor components in the signal chain ahead of the IR, or are they intended to further process the output of the IR? To me, the latter case seems to defeat the object of using cab IRs; and the former case seems to remove the need to use/purchase the separate Nembrini apps which surely can’t be the intention?

A means of mixing multiple IRs would have been useful, but this can be worked around by using multiple instances of the loader (and the extra baggage of multiple unnecessary power amps, compressors and EQs?). There’s also mention of side chain compression, but how does this apply to using an IR?

There’s no mention in the description of what IRs can be loaded. Stereo or mono wav files? Maximum impulse length? Stereo or mono output? Maybe I’ll just stick with AltiSpace 2 for now.

I was really looking forward to a major step forward in being able to easily integrate my third party IRs with my Nembrini amps which I love. This has just left me confused.

I would love somebody to enlighten me and tell me why I’m wrong! Maybe I’ll have to wait for a demo from someone like @flo26 .

• edited January 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@raabje said:

ha, actually not, I didn't check the stock THU stuff that is available without the expansion. But I can use an IR loader as a stand alone EFX.

• i’m also curious what kind of files can be loaded in? could i record some random sounds around the house myself and load them into and use this as more of a sound design tool?

• edited January 2022

@eross said:
    i’m also curious what kind of files can be loaded in? could i record some random sounds around the house myself and load them into and use this as more of a sound design tool?

I think that is a kind of random approach, you have no control over the result. IR files are already a rabbit hole, I think using this technique as a random EQ generator would be even more a rabbit hole.

And the wave file needs to be some exact length, you need to do some trimming.

• @raabje said:

@espiegel123 said:

@raabje said:

ha, actually not, I didn't check the stock THU stuff that is available without the expansion. But I can use an IR loader as a stand alone EFX.

All of the cabinets…even the free one…can use an IR instead of the simulation. Tap on any cabinet and you will find the IR option.

• @eross said:
    i’m also curious what kind of files can be loaded in? could i record some random sounds around the house myself and load them into and use this as more of a sound design tool?

I don't think so, it's optimised for cab IRs with short decay times. For sound design you would be better off using a more conventional convolution reverb such as IMPULStation IMO.

• @eross said:

An Impulse Response (IR) models the time response of a linear system, like a speaker cabinet or a room reverb. It typically starts big and dies away, with bumps or spikes at the times of reverberation returns. I'm not sure how a random sound file would fit into this. If you want to just experiment with it, get Thafknar. It's (almost) free, and even includes a recorder.

• @espiegel123 said:

All of the cabinets…even the free one…can use an IR instead of the simulation. Tap on any cabinet and you will find the IR option.

Okay, thanks, I will take a look at it, good to know what my options are. I just went straight to the rig player, that is my current obsession.

• @Edward_Alexander said:

And then of course the 3rd party premium IRS like Ownhammer which I bought a pack of a while back, where there’s like a thousand IR files to choose from, which is way too much if you ask me… I only need one or two good ones! Maybe 3 to cover all the styles I use.

I spent like 2 hours this morning trying to clean up/filter the Ownhammer folder. Literally thousands of options, rather intimidating. I start with the “summary” folder which is usually enough and representative, but then you have to room mics, the “dark” mix… and it’s hard to let go.

• @raabje said:

@espiegel123 said:

Okay, thanks, I will take a look at it, good to know what my options are. I just went straight to the rig player, that is my current obsession.

FWIW, I sometimes turn off the rig cabinet and load an IR. If you have some good IRs, you might find that you sometimes like them more than the rig cabinets (which are actually IR based unlike the sims)

• edited January 2022

My only complaint about thu rigs is about the speakers.
    To my ears,they are really the weak point of all of them.
    Using external IR is just night and day difference.
    Most of these rigs sound harsh and unnatural without external irs.
    Fortunately,you can disable the cab😉.
    About Nembrini ir loader,you'll notice that even ownhammer notices in their manual that it can be a good idea to cut the highs of an IR at 8khz.
    It think that's why the EQ is available in this app.
    About the power amp section,from what I've heard from IGOR NEMBRINI,they may build guitar preamp sims in the future.
    You see what I mean😉?
    Having played with this,I think it is a very well done app.
    Thanks @NembriniAudio !

• @flo26, did Igor explain why you can load multiple IRs on desktop, but not on iOS? That was the only capability I really wanted in a new IR loader. If they have plans to add it in the future, I’ll buy it then.