Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Module sounds and Korg Gadget sounds (and IAA and AUv3)

Got a new midi keyboard recently with full size keys, larger than I've had in the past, and so I've been having fun playing keyboard with a lot of various app sounds. One thing that struck me with these two Korg behemoths:
Gadget sounds are more interesting to me and, in my opinion, just plain sound better than Module sounds. (I know Module sounds are in Gadget, I'm talking about the ones that aren't.) This surprised me because Module seems positioned as having more "premium" sounds, and has AUv3. The Module sounds are fine, the acoustic pianos are very nice, and the KA Pro strings, sampled E Piano, and the add on organs are extremely high quality; but as soon as I get into anything synthy, digital or analog-emulated, the Gadget instruments just blow Module away, and also seem to blow many individually available apps away that offer similar sounds. The Gadget instruments are shockingly good even compared to some $20-30 standalone synth apps I have!

So this has me torn between which I want to use as a go-to sound module type app (and potentially invest more IAP in). I love AUM, and primarily use AUM when playing music on iPad. In the past I've leaned toward AUv3 apps, because that's what AUM is about after all right? But in practice, is the only difference between AUv3 and IAA in AUM that the screen will temporarily change if I want to adjust something in Gadget? I can still use all the routing features of AUM with Gadget (or any other IAA app)? Is the only difference really that there is no mini window designed to work in AUM or a similar hub? IAA doesn't seem like a huge deterrent from use then, at least for how I'm using it (like a keyboard sound module).

Comments

• @tsamba said:
    So this has me torn between which I want to use as a go-to sound module type app (and potentially invest more IAP in). I love AUM, and primarily use AUM when playing music on iPad. In the past I've leaned toward AUv3 apps, because that's what AUM is about after all right? But in practice, is the only difference between AUv3 and IAA in AUM that the screen will temporarily change if I want to adjust something in Gadget? I can still use all the routing features of AUM with Gadget (or any other IAA app)? Is the only difference really that there is no mini window designed to work in AUM or a similar hub? IAA doesn't seem like a huge deterrent from use then, at least for how I'm using it (like a keyboard sound module).

As I see it, the key limitations of IAA in AUM are:

• No state saving. When you save a Session in AUM, it stores the current parameters of the AUv3s, but it cannot access the IAA. So, reloading the Session will restore all the AUv3s to their prior states, but it will only load the IAA. The IAA will start in whatever condition the app developer chose, and this may not be correct for this Session.
    • Some IAA do not start gracefully, and may require manual startup by the user.
    • An IAA may receive MIDI directly from Core MIDI as well as through virtual ports connected to AUM. This can cause confusion (double notes), or possibly response to unintended controls.
    • IAA is deprecated, which means it's likely not being updated by Apple, and it may cease to exist when iOS updates make it incompatible. So, it's good for now but is likely not a long-term solution.
  • Thanks uncledave. The future uncertainty around IAA compatibility, as well as the potential for double notes you mention, is concerning. State saving also seems like a massive benefit for AUv3, although in my personal use-case, I don't especially need.

The not-clearly-stated concern I have that may or may not be obvious is, of course, whether or not I want to "invest" in extras in either (I do already have Pro and unlocked versions of each). In either case, I feel it's probably "safe," because Korg has been with iPad since its launch, and seems to value the platform—so hopefully both will remain supported.

• edited January 2022

Just idly dreaming now, but with Module sounds available in Gadget, I wonder if it might be feasible for the developers to put Gadget sounds (at least some of them) in Module. Since Module is already AUv3.

• Since the app (Gadget) is currently being actively maintained, you could hope that Korg will keep it working if/when IAA goes away. But you might fear that an AUv3 replacement might be a new app with new IAPs. And they may view Gadget as a DAW itself, not mainly an instrument for other hosts to use. So they might simply drop IAA, leaving your system broken.

The problem with MIDI only arises if the app has limited MIDI filtering. So, check if Gadget lets you select which specific MIDI ports to listen on. If it does, you should be good, if not, you may only be able to separate MIDI streams by carefully managing MIDI channel numbers.

• For a sound module? Definitely Korg Gadget.
    I know a lot of people are a fan of AUv3 as a standard, but Korg Gadget is an awesome stable app as a standalone. You can do the MIDI mapping with/without using AUM with your controllers using the Advanced menu, and setting specific CC for the project you do.

Think of Korg Gadget as a single instance AUv3 app that contains multiple synths. You do the customization directly in Korg Gadget

State saving is a fair argument. But hear me out...on Korg Gadget you can send or Airdrop a project with a variety of synths and combinations and it’ll work on another device that has that app.

Sure I’d like AUv3. But it doesn’t take away from the fact that Korg Gadget, even as of today, is a fantastic Groovebox and sound module. That’s the reason I switched to Korg Gadget/Drambo as my main Groovebox app.

• Yeh, I think if I was just looking for a single app with the broadest range of sounds to use as a sound module, I'd use Gadget.

The only drawback to me is it having somewhat lackluster FX and only a single stereo out. But I'd trade that for simplicity and stability in a live situation, I think.

Not under battery power though. Gadget can be a huge battery suck at times.

• Seems like we have been consistently uncertain about the future of IAA for years now..

• I agree with others above, just work from within Gadget (save your project with everything set up the way you want).

Gadget consumes less battery when in the main screen. Once you open one of the gadgets and have the piano-roll above it (with the sequencer running) it uses a lot more battery.

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    For a sound module? Definitely Korg Gadget.

But Gadget doesn't let you easily switch sounds via MIDI Program Change, right? To me, that would make Module much more suitable as a sound module.

• @anotherscott2 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

But Gadget doesn't let you easily switch sounds via MIDI Program Change, right? To me, that would make Module much more suitable as a sound module.

Sorta...but you can load multiple Gadget patches and simply control the volume with your controller. I use it more like an all-inclusive synth.

I could also script something to change stuff.

Or simply this...Tap the touchscreen, change the sound. That's it. We do the same thing on the super expensive keyboards, yet no one bats an eye. Gadget 2 really saved me in some gigs last month where they booked 2 pianist, and I had to change my sound selection to support the main pianist.

• One huge problem I have with running midi to Gadget is that the midi channel settings are not saved with the project. It’ll save which midi mode you’re in (easy or advanced), but every time you open your project in Gadget, you have to manually re-enable each of the instruments’ midi. So when I use Drambo to sequence some Gadget sounds, I open the Drambo project, open the Gadget project with sounds, and let’s say I have 10 tracks: one by one you go into the midi options for each track: instrument 1, channel 1, Drambo. Instrument 2, channel 2, Drambo. Instrument 3, channel 3, Drambo. It’s really annoying

• @seonnthaproducer said:

@anotherscott2 said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

Sorta...but you can load multiple Gadget patches and simply control the volume with your controller. I use it more like an all-inclusive synth.

I could also script something to change stuff.

Or simply this...Tap the touchscreen, change the sound. That's it. We do the same thing on the super expensive keyboards, yet no one bats an eye. Gadget 2 really saved me in some gigs last month where they booked 2 pianist, and I had to change my sound selection to support the main pianist.

To me, "sound module" implies real-time performance (as in your gig example). If you've got Module, you can set up (IIRC) 128 Program Changes, and then can connect it to any controller that sends Program Changes, and you can have (depending on the controller) some combination of physical buttons, wheels, or touch-screen buttons, to instantly recall any of the 128 sounds (which can be individual sounds, or split/layered combinations of sounds). Once you've done your initial setup, all you have to do when you get to the gig is connect it, turn it all on and play, and you have fast access to up to 128 of your sounds and sound combinations. I don't think your Gadget workarounds give you anything like that.

"load multiple Gadget patches and simply control the volume with your controller" -- I think you mean loading up to 16 Gadget sounds on different channels? That means you need a controller with 16 sliders (set as volume controls for the 16 channels), which further limits your choice of controllers. But also, since a "volume zero" sound is still a sound that has to be generated (which is what allows you to use the slider to fade it in), that means you'll be using 16 instances of polyphony for every note you play (and tasking the resources of your iPad accordingly). And you still only have quick access to 16 favorite sounds rather than up to 128, and changing from some sound combination to your next sound or sound combination (at your preferred volumes for them) would not be so fast and accurate (especially important if you're looking to change sounds mid-song). Also, based on what db909 said, you'd also have to take the time to individually load up your 16 sounds every time you set up.

Your "tapping the touchscreen " solution would be fine, if you could tap a single named button to get from any sound (or sound combination) in a single gadget, directly to any sound (or sound combination) in the same or another one, which would be the equivalent to what you do on those "super expensive keyboards where no one bats an eye. " My experience with Gadget is minimal. Does Gadget actually provide that kind of touchscreen navigation among its various setups? That could be viable, at least if that's the only app you're running.

Which brings me to this question: Another variable comes into play if you want to use these apps in conjunction with others, using an environment like Camelot Pro or Keystage, to switch among sounds that may be scattered across multiple apps. How do Module and Gadget compared in this regard? I don't have experience here.

• @anotherscott2 Honestly, it's something that has to be tried to be used. No amount of typing will explain it.

Yes you can use Gadget 2 as an instrument/sound module

Yes, you can map Gadget 2 to a controller.

Yes, you can use Gadget 2 and play for a live TV show

My focus on this thread is Gadget 2. Of course, there are other apps available that can do it. If it works for you, then great. I personally like Gadget 2 because it's the best value that gives me both the legacy sounds, current sounds, and I can make projects that are unique for live performances without having to restart all over (so long as I save it).

• Interesting videos. And I also thought about how you should be able to set up a bunch of sounds on the screen and then solo/mute them as needed. I still think other apps are better geared to be treated as sound modules than Gadget is, I don't think that's its forte, but that isn't to say that you couldn't still do a lot with it, and make it fill that need to some useful extent.

• @anotherscott2 said:
    Interesting videos. And I also thought about how you should be able to set up a bunch of sounds on the screen and then solo/mute them as needed. I still think other apps are better geared to be treated as sound modules than Gadget is, I don't think that's its forte, but that isn't to say that you couldn't still do a lot with it, and make it fill that need to some useful extent.

I agree with where you're coming from. Pure Synth Platinum, Korg Module, and Synthmaster One are my favorite all-in-one synths. But the value that Gadget 2 brings that these apps can't is this...I'm familiar with Gadget 2. This means I know what sounds I like, and how I'd like to combine them.

Plus, it's super easy to use one gadget patch and manipulate the sound with my effects such that it sounds completely different.

In the TV show, I had Minimoog Model D on my Arturia, and Korg Gadget on my Yamaha. It's honestly up to me to decide what I want where.

The great thing about music is that there are different combinations of sounds, that even adding an unexpected effect, will dramatically change the sound.

• edited November 2022

i just bought Korg gadget and i actually like it, so i have a question is it possible to connect an auv3 midi keyboards like KB-1 to Korg Gadget, the reason why is because i do everything on my iphone screen i even play the virtual keyboard is build to every daw and auv3 too which im comfortable doing it that way, which is the reason i never had need to get me a midi keyboard hardware, but when it comes to gadget i don’t like the modules keyboard settings it not really build for playing chords and melodies on a device screen in my opinion so do anybody knows if it is possible to use an auv3 midi keyboard like KB-1 ??

• @SLPGroundSoundMusic said:
    i just bought Korg gadget and i actually like it, so i have a question is it possible to connect an auv3 midi keyboards like KB-1 to Korg Gadget, the reason why is because i do everything on my iphone screen i even play the virtual keyboard is build to every daw and auv3 too which im comfortable doing it that way, which is the reason i never had need to get me a midi keyboard hardware, but when it comes to gadget i don’t like the modules keyboard settings it not really build for playing chords and melodies on a device screen in my opinion so do anybody knows if it is possible to use an auv3 midi keyboards like KB-1 ??

Gadget doesn’t load AUv3.

Kb-1 can launch as a standalone app and send midi to gadget. You can also load AUv3 midi into a host such as AUM or loopy pro or Audiobus and send did midi from tHe host to Gadget. Gadget would be running in the background though.

• @espiegel123 said:

@SLPGroundSoundMusic said:
    i just bought Korg gadget and i actually like it, so i have a question is it possible to connect an auv3 midi keyboards like KB-1 to Korg Gadget, the reason why is because i do everything on my iphone screen i even play the virtual keyboard is build to every daw and auv3 too which im comfortable doing it that way, which is the reason i never had need to get me a midi keyboard hardware, but when it comes to gadget i don’t like the modules keyboard settings it not really build for playing chords and melodies on a device screen in my opinion so do anybody knows if it is possible to use an auv3 midi keyboards like KB-1 ??

Kb-1 can launch as a standalone app and send midi to gadget. You can also load AUv3 midi into a host such as AUM or loopy pro or Audiobus and send did midi from tHe host to Gadget. Gadget would be running in the background though.

yes i already knew that gadget doesn’t load auv3,
    i meant to say kb-1 as standalone which is how i was trying to connect it to gadget but i can’t see how too !

i just bought Korg gadget and i actually like it, so i have a question is it possible to connect an auv3 midi keyboards like KB-1 to Korg Gadget, the reason why is because i do everything on my iphone screen i even play the virtual keyboard is build to every daw and auv3 too which im comfortable doing it that way, which is the reason i never had need to get me a midi keyboard hardware, but when it comes to gadget i don’t like the modules keyboard settings it not really build for playing chords and melodies on a device screen in my opinion so do anybody knows if it is possible to use an auv3 midi keyboard like KB-1 ??

KB-1 works fine as an input to Gadget. Just leave Gadget in easy mode (midi) and choose Gadget as output in KB-1 keyboard. Then when you move from track to track KB-1 will control whatever instrument is on that track…
    You can also create drum pads and customise them to work with various gadgets.
    Then, when you’re addicted to Gadget, you’ll think nothing of spending the money for a NanoKey Studio and NanoKontrol Studio… 😁

@espiegel123 said:

i meant to say kb-1 as standalone which is how i was trying to connect it to gadget but i can’t see how too !

tap on Output and choose Gadget

• edited November 2022

also i did try to connect it with audiobus but i actually didn’t know either 🤦🏻, even though i had audiobus for over 2 years but i never try to use it before until now, so maybe im just a bit dumb when it comes to connecting stuff to apps that i don’t use, but i guess i will try to connect it to aum which i know more about, even though i want to know how to connect KB-1 standalone with gadget

• @espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

tap on Output and choose Gadget

Thank you so much for your help i truly appreciate you taking some of your time to show how, again thank you so much 🙏🏼

• i did what told me but its not playing the gadget instruments, i even press and switch module midi setting to kb-1 and kb-1# but nothing happened

i did what told me but its not playing the gadget instruments, i even press and switch module midi setting to kb-1 and kb-1# but nothing happened

is background audio turned on in Gadget's preferences? I tested that it works before posting the picture. If you don't have background audio turned on, you won't hear audio when KB-1 is in front.

• is background audio turned on in Gadget's preferences? I tested that it works before posting the picture. If you don't have background audio turned on, you won't hear audio when KB-1 is in front.

yes that was case i didn’t had background audio on, so now its working !
    again thank you so much for the help i really appreciate 🙏🏼