Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Strategies for a continuous iOS live performance #one device only#

2 years since I got my iPad 6th generations

Been looking for only one iOS device setup where I could go from one track to the other easily continuously.

For me the ideal drum machine is Drambo where each pattern changes the drum sounds with transpose. I use mutes and the scene slider for drum variations.

Same as for synths I tried so many solutions for preset change applied by pattern change. I guess I could use Drambo For synths but I want to enjoy the richness of all the Auv3 synths I have.

I use Drambo sequencer to play synths. I would like each Drambo pattern to change a preset On multiple synths.

I could do it with Aums preset change even though its a bit tedious.

A nicer solution would be a host inside Aum that could have multiple synth change in each pattern but when changing it creates cpu peaks and glitch sounds.
Audiobus is less glitchy when running alongside Aum and gets a preset change. Disadvantage is I can’t send master out to Aum.
Apematrix is nice to run inside Aum and it’s very glitchy when changing Apematrix preset.

My other searches for a loop player that is stable and has multiple outs and is midi mappable has got me to quit that method.

Any tips and suggestions would be welcomed

Comments

• Did you see the teasing from giku here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/847861/#Comment_847861

Maybe the wait is worth for you as you seem happy to be inside of Drambo :smile:

• edited September 2020

I don't think there is a universal solution. Depending on how many synths, how complex the presets or if there are samples to be loaded into ram in the background, preset loading can vary, and in live situation there is no guarantee it's going to done 'in time'.

Coming from Elektron OT (since you mentioned D at the centre of performance), one workaround that could be utilised here is, setting up an instance of D - any other looper that can switch recording, monitoring, playback states by incoming midi will do - on your master track. Before switching to next presets capture a pattern long loop from your master (buffer). Switch to play back buffer instead of your arrangement - D lets you setup smooth transitioning - while loading presets in the 'background'.
    Once everything ready switch back to play your arrangement. You will be overwriting your buffer before each switch.

• @MrBlaschke said:
    Did you see the teasing from giku here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/847861/#Comment_847861

Maybe the wait is worth for you as you seem happy to be inside of Drambo :smile:

I saw it. That’s great but only on stand alone mode. So one instance only of Drambo.
    Hope they could get a program change by change of pattern feature.

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    I don't think there is a universal solution. Depending on how many synths, how complex the presets or if there are samples to be loaded into ram in the background, preset loading can vary, and in live situation there is no guarantee it's going to done 'in time'.

Coming from Elektron OT (since you mentioned D at the centre of performance), one workaround that could be utilised here is, setting up an instance of D - any other looper that can switch recording, monitoring, playback states by incoming midi will do - on your master track. Before switching to next presets capture a pattern long loop from your master (buffer). Switch to play back buffer instead of your arrangement - D lets you setup smooth transitioning - while loading presets in the 'background'.
    Once everything ready switch back to play your arrangement. You will be overwriting your buffer before each switch.

That’s right. Even as the tracks are muted while loading as long as it’s staying in sync.

I love my Octatrack. It’s connected to a virus Ti , each pattern sends a midi program change.
    I wish there’s a similar solution on next Drambo update.

On my setup while Drambo Is playing drums i load different sequenced synths or looped samples With:
    Ampify Groovebox
    Samplr
    Apematrix
    Only on Apematrix there’s a glitch when changing a project. Apparently because it’s allocating Auv3.
    I spoke to Allesandro the dev of Apematrix to find out there’s nothing to do about it.

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

IMO, the only even close to bullet-proof setup, if seamless live program changes involving multiple synths are required, needs two iPads (or other iOS device), Link, and a way to crossfade between them.

One is prepped and queued while the other is live. Then they swap roles.

• @wim said:
    IMO, the only even close to bullet-proof setup, if seamless live program changes involving multiple synths are required, needs two iPads (or other iOS device), Link, and a way to crossfade between them.

One is prepped and queued while the other is live. Then they swap roles.

Thanks Wim. My intention is a continuous set on one iOS device.
    On my resent set In Aum while drums were playing I changed either the preset of Samplr or of Groovebox when they’re muted. Samplr gave only few crackles.

• I was also exploring ways how to perform live with iPad only and found out, there is no bulletproof solution. AUM is my host of choice for live and I also experienced glitches when trying to change presets in some AUs.
    Fortunately, not many apps cause these glitches, so I try to stick with those that don’t. Bram Bos apps are AIFAIK fine, Pure Acid and Poison-202, definitely many others. Also depends on your device, any CPU spike will cause glitches.

• edited September 2020

BTW this is quite old set but you can get inspired that it’s always possible to find ways how to perform live 1 hour long sets on iPad ;)
    Also Alex Fain has many live set videos from iPad: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8ou4-ffDRsHp07FMSYrcpQ

• @skrat said:
    I was also exploring ways how to perform live with iPad only and found out, there is no bulletproof solution. AUM is my host of choice for live and I also experienced glitches when trying to change presets in some AUs.
    Fortunately, not many apps cause these glitches, so I try to stick with those that don’t. Bram Bos apps are AIFAIK fine, Pure Acid and Poison-202, definitely many others. Also depends on your device, any CPU spike will cause glitches.

Aum is the best. If only the had state save for iaa =( Or could host Audiobus like It host Apematrix.

I tried running Aum and Audiobus parallel but it glitches when cpu is more than 30%.
    I keep on trying so many configuration.

Last one with Samplr in Aum was good until I went outdoors realizing it’s getting out of sync if it’s via Bluetooth.

Thanks for your videos.

• One strategy I would incorporate is to plan on it failing at some point, because eventually and can and possibly will.

• Just not possible.

The closest is Drambo with the newest iPad, or many of them to spread the load across.

• I kept trying. Also have a 5 iPad jam.
    It’s nice on both ways.
    I experiment with a lot of iOS setups and controllers.

My next attempt is 2 Drambo instances in Aum. One for drums whereby each pattern is a different sounds and pattern.

The other Drambo for synths I have to do a preset load to change sounds. I might use an extra one Drambo as a sequencer so it stays on timing when preset changes.

• One of the techniques Of snapshots I taught Sam Izrael. Using Drambo as midi effects:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ehehehe said:
    If trying this I would print as much midi to audio as possible. And bringing phone with a spare set.

That’s another way. Using Ampify launchpad helps

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    One of the techniques Of snapshots I taught Sam Izrael. Using Drambo as midi effects:

Thank you, great tip!

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@0tolerance4silence said:

That’s right. Even as the tracks are muted while loading as long as it’s staying in sync.

I love my Octatrack. It’s connected to a virus Ti , each pattern sends a midi program change.
    I wish there’s a similar solution on next Drambo update.

On my setup while Drambo Is playing drums i load different sequenced synths or looped samples With:
    Ampify Groovebox
    Samplr
    Apematrix
    Only on Apematrix there’s a glitch when changing a project. Apparently because it’s allocating Auv3.
    I spoke to Allesandro the dev of Apematrix to find out there’s nothing to do about it.

Staying in sync will depend on the BPM of various projects. If you can’t monitor the muted instance of Drambo that is cued up you can just wait until tempo aligns in some way and cross fade it. I think this way you could get some creative blends with 1 of the bar not being instantly obvious to the listener.

I really like this approach.

• Great news for next Aum update from @j_liljedahl on Aum Facebook group

“. But I’m planning to add ”snapshots” that will allow saving and switching state for everything, without reloading the session. Questions are: should user be able to exclude stuff from snapshots? What about stuff added after a snapshot is made, would it be unaffected by loading that snapshot?”