Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Zero-latency AirPods Pro with UWB instead of Bluetooth

The rumors are saying that Apple might be switching from Bluetooth to Ultra Wide Band for the next AirPods Pro. It would work, because all iPhones since the 11 have the U1 chip inside, which has been frankly pointless until now.

Some numbers, from this Max Tech video:

Max transfer speed
Bluetooth 2mb/s
UWB 675mb/s !!

Radio spectrum size
Bluetooth 2MHz
UWB 500MHz

Plus, UWB uses way, way less power than BT.

What do we think? Almost zero latency, longer-lasting, and enough bandwidth for lossless audio. Could be great for music making, right?

Comments

• I'd love this if true. The Apple tax on airpods is brutal, but I may just close my eyes and open the wallet if this pans out for useable latency with music making.

• Well, if they were wired you’d be talking about the speed of light instead of improved lag with wireless. Maybe one day they’ll connect via laser.

• Also rumors of lossless audio for the new AirPod Pros, which would be nice.

• AptX dongles are your friends

• I have a pair of AirPod pros. They are great. I would swap them in a heartbeat for a low latency version.

• @cyberheater said:
    I have a pair of AirPod pros. They are great. I would swap them in a heartbeat for a low latency version.

Same. I really like mine, but can’t use them for making music.

Lower latency will also be essential for AR and VR. I don’t care for either, but Apple seems very serious about it.

• Had my air pod pros for a year now.
    Wasn’t sure at first, but now I love them
    If the latency issues were resolved with the new version pros, I think I would save up and buy them
    Fingers crossed 🤞
    But only time will tell, when the Apple Watch 7 was recently released, my heart sank when they didn’t change the body shape to square edges like all the rumours had predicted, I waited months for the release, only to be disappointed, brought the Apple Watch SE Nike edition, as wasn’t bovered about the extra health thing’s, but if the 7 had the square edges I would of jumped straight in
    So unless the new pros are actually pro, I will save my money

• If that’s true then that will be the day when I retire my 6s…or I’ll wait a little longer until the tech becomes more ubiquitous and get some other brand earphones.

• Knowing Apple, they'll remove Bluetooth on the new devices once this comes out. :#

• Sad that no iPads have U1 chip.

• edited January 2022

@Janosax said:
    Sad that no iPads have U1 chip.

Maybe if they’re planning this, the 2022 models will?

• edited January 2022

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@Janosax said:

Very probably. Have bought my M1 in last June, and an iPad with zero latency Airpods support could almost justify the upgrade. That should be an amazing experience for everyday music making!!

• @Janosax said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@Janosax said:

Very probably. Have bought my M1 in last June, and an iPad with zero latency Airpods support could almost justify the upgrade. That should be an amazing experience for everyday music making!!

It would fix the dongle problem and encourage more sales of the new AirPods. Seems like a win-win for Apple.

• I wonder if they could make a U1 dongle for iPad?

• edited January 2022

The main thing pushing these rumours is the recent interview in What HiFi with Apple's VP of acoustics Gary Geaves:

https://www.whathifi.com/features/is-bluetooth-holding-back-apples-airpods-we-asked-the-man-who-made-them

When he said "But it’s fair to say that we would like more bandwidth and… I’ll stop right there. We would like more bandwidth" it got the rumour mill in full flow. That's a huge amount for Apple to say. They don't say things like that by accident!

It'll be interesting to see what Apple do. I think they'll want to unlock lossless audio on AirPods Pro and Max at the very least.

• edited September 2022

I got the AirPods Pro 2 from my local Apple Store yesterday. I tested them out with my M1 iPad Pro and can confirm that the latency is not noticeably different frim the original AirPods Pro. Perhaps newer iPads will better take advantage of the potential for lower latency?

Thankfully the much improved noise cancelling will help when messing around with Drambo in noisy environments. But yeah, still not great for playing in notes in time with a track.

• @jprto said:
    I got the AirPods Pro 2 from my local Apple Store yesterday. I tested them out with my M1 iPad Pro and can confirm that the latency is not noticeably different frim the original AirPods Pro.

Thank you. I've watched quite a few reviews but none mentioned latency. I thought they would be the same.
    I'll stick with my AirPods Pro 1.