Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

YouTube and Safari joined at the hip

Hi, whenever I check something out on YouTube it appears simultaneously as a separate window in Safari. Wtf? Similarly YouTube’s history includes all google searches. This is something new in the past few months. Anyone know how to decouple them?

Comments

• I've tried the Accessibility, Per App setting. Makes no difference for me. I would love to not have Youtube pop open when I tap a browser window video.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Hi, whenever I check something out on YouTube

Do you mean the YouTube app?

• @mistercharlie said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Hi, whenever I check something out on YouTube

Do you mean the YouTube app?

You notice how SoundCloud can run in the browser but also (usually with another click) launch the SoundCloud app... well, Youtube also launches an App in a new window. If you don't want all the extra features of the app then delete the app and there will be no other place to display YouTube content. Using cookies I think it will still keep the same history results.

• edited January 2022

@LinearLineman said:
    Hi, whenever I check something out on YouTube it appears simultaneously as a separate window in Safari. Wtf? Similarly YouTube’s history includes all google searches. This is something new in the past few months. Anyone know how to decouple them?

I doubt that you can decouple the knowledge shared by the various Google services; that's their business model, after all. Using a different search engine is likely the only way.

Not sure about the YouTube app automatically opening a browser window. It's not something I've seen. But certainly, any app can open a Safari window. It just has to request an appropriate URL.

Edit: And I cannot reproduce it by playing a video and viewing comments. Now, I use free YouTube; do you have a paid account? Is there some particular interaction sequence you use, maybe search, or...? Also, is this on iOS or on a Mac?

One thing you can do it use different logins. On YouTube, I use my spam account, and I don't even login to Google. The possible benefits of cross-platform integration are not important to me.

• @uncledave, an iPad. I do use search. Sounds like there’s no easy fix.

• Does this help? https://andadinosaur.com/launch-vinegar

This is my favourite browser extension ever.

• @LinearLineman - have you tried signing out of Google in Safari? You don't need to be signed in to search. If you use Gmail then you need to be signed in, but you don't have to stay signed in. If you go to www.google.com you'll see the account icon at the top-right and can sign out from there.

• @wim, so if I sign out and cancel Safari I cancel Gmail, too?

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

@LinearLineman said:
    @wim, so if I sign out and cancel Safari I cancel Gmail, too?

No. You're just logging out, you're not cancelling anything. You can log back in at any time (and will need to in order to use Gmail in Safari).

What I'm saying is as long as you're logged into google while using Safari, it tracks what you do to your account. YouTube also uses your google account. So, my thinking is logging out of one or the other will break that link while you're logged out.

It still doesn't explain why launching videos in the YouTube app also opens a browser tab, which is really weird. But I'm thinking that maybe if you're not logged in to google on safari, that might not happen. It's easy enough to try.

• @wim, thx, bud. You’re a joy!

• I just discovered background YouTube play by maximizing the vid, then minimizing Safari, getting a picture-in-picture and simply swiping the screen to the side to hide. I didn’t know you could do this on Safari. Finally! Deleted the YouTube app.

• @LinearLineman said:

Ive had this happen since a few updates ago, however if you hold down on the link or YouTube logo you get a pop up menu, one option is open in YouTube. That’s what I do.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I just discovered background YouTube play by maximizing the vid, then minimizing Safari, getting a picture-in-picture and simply swiping the screen to the side to hide. I didn’t know you could do this on Safari. Finally! Deleted the YouTube app.

Yea that’s a sweet little trick, right.