Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SFM Tutorials: Loopy Pro

I just started a new series of tutorial. First one is for beginners who never seen or used Loopy Pro.

In the next one we will start will loop recording and go through all the settings as we progress on the journey…

Comments

• This video get you started on audio / clip / loop recording. Very straight forward. Make sure you know what your hardware input is even if it is the iPad microphone and ensure you have monitoring off if you are recoding using the iPad microphone. Of course you might have an audio interface instead of using the iPad microphone and that is fine as Loopy Pro supports the selection of Input channels as well.

The video covers the following:

• Recording of loops
    • Overdubbing of recording
    • re-align the loop
    • change the volume of the loop recording
    • Loopy pro loop length and tempo detection
    • loop start and stop quantisation
    • disabling of microphone monitoring
    • clearing of recording on loops
    • trimming of waveform recorded
    • metronome sounds
    • metronome flashing as metronome

Enjoy and do not forget to subscribe!

• Yes - well done. Looking forward to the series. 👍

• @robosardine said:
    Yes - well done. Looking forward to the series. 👍

Me too!

• Yes, thank-you! Just the videos we need for the non-loopers in the crowd.

• An important concept in Loopy Pro is the ability to apply settings at global, colour and clip level. This is important as the same concept can be applied to other areas such as recording.

This video covers the following:

• Global Settings for Play and Stop quantisation
    • Colour Settings for Play and Stop quantisation
    • Clip Settings for Play and Stop quantisation
    • remove quantisation for Play and Stop of Clips

Throughout the video it is shown how you can change settings and see what happens to clips that belong to a specific colour or clips that have been subject to changes of settings level (at clip level) vs. the clips that are still running using the global or all clips settings. Remember this as it is easy to forget why a certain clip is behaving in a different way particularly after you spent hours on a project and it got quite big.

• Look forward to the series Leo.. 👍

• Ok, we recorded already a couple of tutorials on specifically loops and I really wanted to move on to show you how you can record AudioUnit Synths inside Loopy Pro. Before doing that it is good to ensure you are familiar with the mixer and so this video will do so.

The tutorial covers the following:

• Introduction to the mixer
    • how to add and delete channel strips
    • how to change the settings related to your microphone input
    • how to add pre and post fader effects
    • how to change the destinations for your hardware input
    • how to add a send bus
    • how to change the volume, balance, mute and solo settings for your channel strip

Additionally we show you how to quickly add an effect like a built-in reverb effect to a track or audio loop.

• Great videos, you are very skilled to explain complex things in a very simple way

• @sfm A really fantastic job, Leo. Thanks!

• I enjoyed creating this tutorial as I love the concept of Audio Units and Loopy Pro doesn’t disappoint on this. At the time of writing Loopy Pro doesn’t yet record midi on loops, but I am aware that is on the roadmap of functionalities to come.

• Adding Audio Units (AU)
    • Handle AUs window sizes
    • Manage AU presets and visibility
    • Idle AUs for saving resources
    • Use the internal keyboard to play AUs
    • Connect and external midi controller to an AU
    • Connect a Midi source such as StepBud as an Audio Unit Midi Processor
    • Establish the right connectivity between midi sources and synths as AUs
    • Record loops from Audio Units

• At some points in time regardless of how good you are at recording loops you will be in a situation to import some of them.
    This video covers how to import loops and how to apply effects.

Topics covered:

• Import of rendered files into clips
    • Trimming, stretching and speed changes settings for imported loop with detection of original tempo
    • Apply shared and new instances of effects
    • Change visibility and status of effects

• Thank you Leo for another installment in this series. What an amazing app and keep up the useful tutorials - much needed 🤙

• Agreed. These videos are terrific.
    I watched the first two just to get acquainted.
    I’m recognizing many of the actions because of my familiarity with Loopy HD and Samplebot but there is so much I have not seen.
    At this point a little unsure how the color and track numbers coordinate but I’m sure I’ll get to it.

• In this episode we are going to explore how to use send bus and some additional features regarding effects.

• Create new busses
    • Connect channel strips to busses
    • Send output from channel strips before fader, before all effects, after fader and after all effects
    • Drag and drop effects between channel and pre/post fader

• It is great to have the ability to do session recording and also to have a Sequencer. This makes things much easier.

• Session Recording
    • Audio recording for Combined Input and Output
    • Audio recording for individual colours groups
    • Sequencer recording
    • Introduction to Sequencer
    • Sequencer Looping
    • Sequencer region delete, copy and paste
    • Track arming for additional recording directly from the Sequencer

• @sfm Leo, your Loopy Pro series of tutorials are literally the most easy to understand, clear explanations of “how to”.

I need to get caught up! I think I’m on episode 6 and I’ve learned something new with every episode you post!

Thank you so much for creating these! I think I can speak for all of us here in saying how grateful we all are for everything you do!

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    @sfm Leo, your Loopy Pro series of tutorials are literally the most easy to understand, clear explanations of “how to”.

I need to get caught up! I think I’m on episode 6 and I’ve learned something new with every episode you post!

Thank you so much for creating these! I think I can speak for all of us here in saying how grateful we all are for everything you do!

Here, here. Always explaining the unexplainable!

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    @sfm Leo, your Loopy Pro series of tutorials are literally the most easy to understand, clear explanations of “how to”.

Thank you

• In this short tutorial I am showing some examples on how you can use LoopyPro inside AUM as an Audio Unit Instance.

• Use LoopyPro as an Input Node
    • Use LoopyPro as an Insert Effects
    • Recording audio clips from the input node
    • Redirect audio channel to an input node for further recording inside LoopyPro

• In this short tutorial we are going to show you how you share projects between LoopyPro as a standalone version and LoopyPro inside a host as AudioUnit.

• Create a project in LoopyPro standalone
    • Create a project in LoopyPro as AudioUnit
    • Load the project created in LoopyPro as a AudioUnit from the AudioUnit Extension Folder
    • Move the project created in LoopyPro standalone to the AudioUnit Extension Folder so that it can be loaded by LoopyPro as a AudioUnit inside AUM

• This video introduces nice and slowly to the concept of Follow Actions with a simple example. Follow Actions are actions that are triggered after a specific event has occurred.

This video alongside an upcoming one about the Canvas a the fundamentals as you will see in creating sophisticated layout and actions including connectivity with midi controllers.

• Create 3 clip with loop play set to once and containing simple pronounced numbers
    • Create a Follow Action for each clip so that the next clip is played after the current clip playing stops
    • Highlight the issue of infinite loop of actions
    • Introduction to sequencing of actions and multiple playing of clips after an action has triggered
    • Selection of action per group
    • Selection of target for each action, including multiple targets

• Thank you Leo, for all your tutorials! Qua Loopy Pro: I hope you also make a video about all these different Clip Settings. i find those the most ‘complicated’. Handsfree looping for live-players, quantization-settings, clip setting versus master-setting, auto loop detection, etc., etc.

• @Harro said:
    Thank you Leo, for all your tutorials! Qua Loopy Pro: I hope you also make a video about all these different Clip Settings. i find those the most ‘complicated’. Handsfree looping for live-players, quantization-settings, clip setting versus master-setting, auto loop detection, etc., etc.

Yes I am doing that gently through different tutorials so it is not confusing… :)

• sfmsfm
    edited January 2022

I hope you are enjoying these tutorials; I am following a structure so that also beginners hopefully can follow through… coming next will be the canvas and also some tutorials on how to connect and properly configure external devices such as the Novation LaunchPad…

Also some tutorials specifically on recordings are also coming … for example retrospective recording…

• This videos introduces you to the canvas where you can customise your interface, your UI with more widgets, clips etc. Quite a fundamental tutorial as it allows to progress with more complex setup later on.

• The canvas
    • Clips
    • Buttons
    • Sliders
    • Dials
    • XY Pads
    • Buttons Grid
    • Text
    • Pagination
    • General actions from some of the widgets for example controlling a filter via the XY Pads

• Working in setting up Loopy Pro for a long time will benefit from being able to configure gestures to your liking. This is also true for live performances as any professional/advanced tools will allow you to configure how to work with controls.

• Review of standard gestures
    • Gestures menu
    • Sample of setting up new gestures

Gestures include but are not limited to default actions such as: clear, record, overdub, details menu, merge, copy, and many others.

• @sfm Another great tutorial Leo! Looking forward to those “advanced topics”.

• Divide , extend and multiply. Some simple features but that help with some basic sample manipulations inside Loopy Pro.

• Divide a sample
    • Extend a sample with silence
    • Multiply the sample by duplicating it
    • Repeat the above but using actions associated to buttons

• Lots of people asked me to show you how to connect an external launchpad to Loopy Pro. That is relatively easy to do but in terms of learning and consolidate knowledge so far covered through the series, I thought it may be more logical to show you a couple of more things before delving into midi configuration and messages.

• Creation of a lookalike Launchpad inside Loopy Pro
    • Creation of scene style launch buttons
    • Recording drums using Digistix2
    • Recording audio loops and phrases using StepBud as a midi source and Bleass Alpha as a synth
    • Use of the panic button to stop left hanging notes between Audio Unit