Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Files folder song player app

Currently using Foobar2000. All I need is something that will provide a folder for the song folders and a dencent interface for song playing, time slider, next, previous, pause. That's about it. Foobar is ok but it lacks a couple of things that would make it better for me and seems to have way more options than I will ever need at the same time.

Comments

• Thanks. Mixet may work but it doesn't create it's own folder. Just a bit of extra mucking around to get files into it. Do you know if Doppi creates it's own folder? Would be good to know before buying as I've bought a couple now and they don't do what I thought they were suggesting.

• FE File Explorer Pro is a file manager that includes a music player. You create folders in it, copy files to them, and play them. It will auto loop all songs in a folder. It may be more than you need, but it does the job.

• Thanks @uncledave I hadn't thought of that methodology but it has merit. Will look into it. My preference would be a simple app connected to its own folder that just present with the usual artist, songs, etc on opening. Maybe that doesn't exist. Time for Plan B.

• @Ailerom said:
    Thanks @uncledave I hadn't thought of that methodology but it has merit. Will look into it. My preference would be a simple app connected to its own folder that just present with the usual artist, songs, etc on opening. Maybe that doesn't exist. Time for Plan B.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/musicfolder-2/id1366466861

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

VLC for Mobile is free and very good. I dunno if it fits your vision but it might be worth a look.

• Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Doppi seems perfect.

I bought Music Folder 2 but it is pretty poor in my opinion. Pretty minimal feature set.

• @Ailerom said:

I bought Music Folder 2 but it is pretty poor in my opinion. Pretty minimal feature set.

Based on your initial post…

• @anickt said:

@Ailerom said:

I appreciate any ideas, I'd just tried that one after buying to find there is no real control of the playing file. So not real good as a song player. Certainly hits all the other targets. Thanks.

• I love cloud beats for this, I use it to play my mixes on the go, play songs when checking PA systems, all sorts of stuff. I use it connected to Dropbox

• Cloud Beats seems good but I don't use cloud services that way. Just need it to play from the Files folder.

• Evermusic and Evermusic Pro.

• I bought Neutron for this (but was checking out FE File Explorer as a potential replacement last night) - Neutron works fine but when rotating from landscape to portrait and back on iPad the UI breaks, last night I did at least discover that starting and staying in landscape works.

• @MadGav said:
    I bought Neutron for this (but was checking out FE File Explorer as a potential replacement last night) - Neutron works fine but when rotating from landscape to portrait and back on iPad the UI breaks, last night I did at least discover that starting and staying in landscape works.

Does Neutron put a folder in Files and play audio from this folder in the structure you create?

• edited January 2022

I use documents by readdle for this.

Open any folder of tunes and it will play them with standard style audio player with skip/next buttons and time slider. It will play all the files in the folder one after another in whichever order they’re sorted in. You also have a library button in the player screen where you can choose which track to play next, etc. it’s great.

You can play any folder including ones you make in its own sandbox on device, or via cloud service (Dropbox, box) or obviously iCloud Drive.

Very simple. Works perfectly. And it’s useful for lots of other non audio things too. It can even strip audio from videos.

• edited January 2022

I think I have it sorted but I’ll check this out. Thanks

Do you know if it is required to subscribe?

• edited January 2022

@Ailerom said:
    Thanks @uncledave I hadn't thought of that methodology but it has merit. Will look into it. My preference would be a simple app connected to its own folder that just present with the usual artist, songs, etc on opening. Maybe that doesn't exist. Time for Plan B.

Just by the way, FE File Explorer is an app connected to its own folders (visible in Files) that can play the files you put there. It offers both an On my iPad folder, and a File Provider in the Files sidebar. It is more powerful than just that, but it doesn't do artist/album/song stuff. It's more like a stack of ol' 45 RPM records. It's pretty similar to Documents by Readdle in its capabilities.

• @Ailerom said:

Documents by Readdle is free.

https://readdle.com/documents

• @klownshed said:

@Ailerom said:

I’ll check it out but there are some pricey IAP on the App Store.

• @uncledave said:

@Ailerom said:

Just by the way, FE File Explorer is an app connected to its own folders (visible in Files) that can play the files you put there. It offers both an On my iPad folder, and a File Provider in the Files sidebar. It is more powerful than just that, but it doesn't do artist/album/song stuff. It's more like a stack of ol' 45 RPM records. It's pretty similar to Documents by Readdle in its capabilities.

I am trying the free version but it doesn’t seem to allow adding Files folders. Do you know anything about that? Can’t find it mentioned on the App Store.

• @Ailerom said:

@klownshed said:

@Ailerom said:

None of the IAPs are needed to use it to play back audio. The IAPs are for things like PDF editing and the VPN. It is really useful as it is without subs or IAPs.

• edited January 2022

@Ailerom said:

@uncledave said:

@Ailerom said:

I am trying the free version but it doesn’t seem to allow adding Files folders. Do you know anything about that? Can’t find it mentioned on the App Store.

Not sure about the free version. If you open the app to My Files, and can see FE File Explorer (On my iPad), try opening it and creating a dummy file. Then it should show in Files, On my iPad. This is a known problem with Files; it does not show empty app folders. Some devs have tricked this by creating a hidden file, so their folders appear empty, but they are not. Once you do this, you can create files and folders using Files, and they will be visible to File Explorer.

Edit: I should add that you can add an External Location to the File Explorer sidebar, and that can be (almost) any location visible in Files. So you can reach directly into the folders managed by other apps.

• @Ailerom said:

@anickt said:

@Ailerom said:

I appreciate any ideas, I'd just tried that one after buying to find there is no real control of the playing file. So not real good as a song player. Certainly hits all the other targets. Thanks.

Could you give me more details on what controls you're missing, and I might consider adding them?

• @Ailerom said:

@MadGav said:
    I bought Neutron for this (but was checking out FE File Explorer as a potential replacement last night) - Neutron works fine but when rotating from landscape to portrait and back on iPad the UI breaks, last night I did at least discover that starting and staying in landscape works.

Does Neutron put a folder in Files and play audio from this folder in the structure you create?

Neutron has a folder in “On my iPad” where I’ve placed some music - I’m sure it can do more but tbh I’m not finding the UI easy to understand. As I don’t often play music from files I’ll quite likely ditch this for FE (I largely buy from Bandcamp but then play from Apple Music so artists get micro-payments from that).

With FE I was able to add the Neutron folder then play from that - I think Readdle requires music to be in its own storage which isn’t visible in Files.

• @MadGav said:
    I think Readdle requires music to be in its own storage which isn’t visible in Files.

Documents can access any folder you can see from the apple files app. Open the folder “apple files” and you have full access to everything including files on device or in iCloud and any other provider that links to files.

• @klownshed said:

@MadGav said:
    I think Readdle requires music to be in its own storage which isn’t visible in Files.

Documents can access any folder you can see from the apple files app. Open the folder “apple files” and you have full access to everything including files on device or in iCloud and any other provider that links to files.

True - you can access the files, but the music player isn’t fully functional, it only plays single files.

The big downside with Documents for me is it doesn’t expose its own storage in On My iPad, you need files in that storage to take advantage of Documents file management but in there they aren’t accessible using Files (and apps using file pickers)

• @Ailerom said:
    Thanks. Mixet may work but it doesn't create it's own folder. Just a bit of extra mucking around to get files into it. Do you know if Doppi creates it's own folder? Would be good to know before buying as I've bought a couple now and they don't do what I thought they were suggesting.

Doppi will create a folder on your iPad as soon as you import files. After that you can drop music there via files app. I stopped using Doppi because I wanted to sync files via iCloud, something Doppi can't do.

• @uncledave said:

@Ailerom said:

@uncledave said:

@Ailerom said:

Not sure about the free version. If you open the app to My Files, and can see FE File Explorer (On my iPad), try opening it and creating a dummy file. Then it should show in Files, On my iPad. This is a known problem with Files; it does not show empty app folders. Some devs have tricked this by creating a hidden file, so their folders appear empty, but they are not. Once you do this, you can create files and folders using Files, and they will be visible to File Explorer.

Edit: I should add that you can add an External Location to the File Explorer sidebar, and that can be (almost) any location visible in Files. So you can reach directly into the folders managed by other apps.

Thanks. I'll keep at it. As good as Doppi looks for my needs it is bugging out badly so for now the hunt continues. FE File Explorer is not working how I expect, can't access the folder with audio. I'll keep persisting. Not keen to buy it on the off chance the full version has additional features a less I can see something in the app description.

• @klownshed said:

@Ailerom said:

@klownshed said:

@Ailerom said:

None of the IAPs are needed to use it to play back audio. The IAPs are for things like PDF editing and the VPN. It is really useful as it is without subs or IAPs.

Thanks, I'll keep persisting. Last night I spent some time with it and couldn't find a way to access the audio folder how I would like. Once I open a file it provides only a playing trip at the bottom. There is a play and next option. The next button in non responsive so it is really not doing much for me at present.

• @SevenSystems said:

@Ailerom said:

@anickt said:

@Ailerom said:

Could you give me more details on what controls you're missing, and I might consider adding them?

I just want a simple audio player with some basically controls and a list of files in the current folder. The one I had (Android) browsed like a file manager (albeit) in a list format, tapping a song brought up a play bar at the bottom with previous, play, next, back and forward 5 seconds an options button and time slider. Up top is the song list with a browser strip to go back to the previously vied folder.