Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Staffpad pen

Logitech Crayon. I know it's not supported. There is no point asking Staffpad if it will work at all. I just have to as though. Has anyone tried it? Is it just no go at all? Or just not supported and may work ok? Won't do some things? Has anyone tried it?

I've scoured the internet for an answer but nothing.

Comments

• I understood that the Logitech crayon was supported anywhere in which the Apple Pencil was supported, is that not true? I have an Apple Pencil so I don’t know.

• edited January 2022

@mrufino1 said:
    I understood that the Logitech crayon was supported anywhere in which the Apple Pencil was supported, is that not true? I have an Apple Pencil so I don’t know.

That's where I'm coming from. Is this just a case of limiting the devices that have to be supported by Staffpad, or is there an actual issue that means it won't work?

Sort of like Waves only supporting some DAWs. Often their plugins will work but if they don't there is no support.

• @Ailerom just remembered I got one for my son and tried it out. Works in menus but not on the staff itself. Sorry.

• @mjcouche said:
    @Ailerom just remembered I got one for my son and tried it out. Works in menus but not on the staff itself. Sorry.

Awesome. Thanks so much. Been trying to answer that one for a while now.

• @Ailerom said:

@mrufino1 said:
    I understood that the Logitech crayon was supported anywhere in which the Apple Pencil was supported, is that not true? I have an Apple Pencil so I don’t know.

That's where I'm coming from. Is this just a case of limiting the devices that have to be supported by Staffpad, or is there an actual issue that means it won't work?

Sort of like Waves only supporting some DAWs. Often their plugins will work but if they don't there is no support.

I haven’t had that issue with waves, unless you’re talking iOS. On Mac I haven’t had waves plugins not work in any daw I’ve tried though.

That’s good to know about the Logitech crayon. The Apple Pencil is without a doubt one of the most useful purchases I’ve ever made. I use goodnotes for multiple things every day. With ADHD organization is not my strong suit but now I don’t lose any of my notes, papers, etc.

• If you've never had a Waves issue you wouldn't know the joy of being told no soupport for you.

• @Ailerom said:
    If you've never had a Waves issue you wouldn't know the joy of being told no soupport for you.

What DAW gave you compatibility problems with waves? I don’t use many waves plugins anymore, but there are a few that I still do use, like MV2 and rVox (although less and less). The only one I really rely on now for most mixes is the ocean way nx plug-in, which I run on my system output when using headphones to mix.

They will support you if you pay the WUP fee, but I’m not that interested in doing so. It sounds like you’re in the same boat. They’re devaluing their plugins so much now anyway that sometimes it’s cheaper to buy it again than to pay the WUP fee, although I haven’t ever bought one again, I’ve just found something from another company that replaces it.

• @mrufino1 said:

@Ailerom said:
    If you've never had a Waves issue you wouldn't know the joy of being told no soupport for you.

What DAW gave you compatibility problems with waves? I don’t use many waves plugins anymore, but there are a few that I still do use, like MV2 and rVox (although less and less). The only one I really rely on now for most mixes is the ocean way nx plug-in, which I run on my system output when using headphones to mix.

They will support you if you pay the WUP fee, but I’m not that interested in doing so. It sounds like you’re in the same boat. They’re devaluing their plugins so much now anyway that sometimes it’s cheaper to buy it again than to pay the WUP fee, although I haven’t ever bought one again, I’ve just found something from another company that replaces it.

This issue is pretty historical now. I gave up using Wave years ago when I had a multitude of problems with their current licensing system. It was Reaper and FLStudio but they may well be supported now for all I know. They used to only support certain (big name) DAWs regardless of WUP. I had a few that were hard to let goof as well but I'm free now.

My last purchase was Gold for a price well below 50% of WUP. Their pricing is a bit of a joke.

• @Ailerom said:

@mrufino1 said:

@Ailerom said:

This issue is pretty historical now. I gave up using Wave years ago when I had a multitude of problems with their current licensing system. It was Reaper and FLStudio but they may well be supported now for all I know. They used to only support certain (big name) DAWs regardless of WUP. I had a few that were hard to let goof as well but I'm free now.

My last purchase was Gold for a price well below 50% of WUP. Their pricing is a bit of a joke.

Ah, I see what you mean about their support- it’s funny now to think of reaper and FL Studio as non mainstream, but you’re right, at one time they definitely were. I think the pandemic forcing people to work from home so much has changed DAW use some. I haven’t used FL Studio but some of my students use it and their results are impressive.

Anyway, I realized I completely derailed the topic, sorry!

If anyone has an iPad that supports Apple Pencil, I highly recommend spending the few extra dollars for it. It is definitely head and shoulders over any stylus I’ve tried, at least for writing, I don’t do any visual art but I’m sure it’s just as good for that purpose. I haven’t tried the second version, but the first one and my 2018 iPad is a great combination for my needs.

• It's not an issue of the Staffpad team being inflexible it's simply the case they feel that only the Apple Pencil delivers the quality of interaction they require. At the end of the day, Staffpad is a high-end offering that's created with a professional customer in mind, and it has an asking price to match (especially once you start purchasing the sample libraries). With that in mind, the cost of an Apple Pencil 2 is one of the smaller considerations.

Funnily enough, Staffpad was seen as a bargain when it was launched on Windows tablets. Until Staffpad came on the scene, you'd require a notation app and a DAW. And those self-same libraries that seem so expensive on iPadOS would set you back thousands ($,£ or €, those libraries cost a shed load whatever the currency).

• @jonmoore said:
    Until Staffpad came on the scene, you'd require a notation app and a DAW. And those self-same libraries that seem so expensive on iPadOS would set you back thousands).

I spent years of my life looking through the music shop windows at the good stuff. Then I spent years looking at the Desktop tools with the same sense that I couldn't justify that capital outlay for my "hobby" with kids to educate and retirement to save for.

Staffpad is one of those game changing apps that exposes capabilities for much less than $1,000: (counting the iPad, the Pencil and the app). Depending on the iPad selected there will be extra budget for some great libraries.

NOTE: anticipate some buggy Staffpad behavior... I have had some close calls after this amazing update that allows me to add audio to any project. With new customers they will have the revenue to keep squashing bugs while they add the MIDI input capability. MIDI to Notation to rendered audio in one pass! This might require a more powerful iPad but since it's a batch function and not real time rendering... maybe not.

Importing large MIDI files is not robust and a pass through Notion to generate a "Music XML" might be required but I have imported a few classic orchestral works and had surprising results.

• @McD said:

@jonmoore said:
    Until Staffpad came on the scene, you'd require a notation app and a DAW. And those self-same libraries that seem so expensive on iPadOS would set you back thousands).

I spent years of my life looking through the music shop windows at the good stuff. Then I spent years looking at the Desktop tools with the same sense that I couldn't justify that capital outlay for my "hobby" with kids to educate and retirement to save for.

Staffpad is one of those game changing apps that exposes capabilities for much less than $1,000: (counting the iPad, the Pencil and the app). Depending on the iPad selected there will be extra budget for some great libraries.

NOTE: anticipate some buggy Staffpad behavior... I have had some close calls after this amazing update that allows me to add audio to any project. With new customers they will have the revenue to keep squashing bugs while they add the MIDI input capability. MIDI to Notation to rendered audio in one pass! This might require a more powerful iPad but since it's a batch function and not real time rendering... maybe not.

Importing large MIDI files is not robust and a pass through Notion to generate a "Music XML" might be required but I have imported a few classic orchestral works and had surprising results.

The quality of Dorico's 'Music XML' is great too although MIDI file translation will take a little manual labour (generally down to the poor quality of most MIDI files found online, rather than Dorico's abilities).

As to buggy behaviour in Staffpad, I've found over the years that there's an inverse relationship between the size of the customer base and the vendor's ability to squish bugs early (pre-major release cycles). Basically, you have to roll with the punches with software targeted at smaller audiences. You'd think that 'pro' software would be more robust, but a smaller number of customers means fewer bug reports.

Having said that, I've found Staffpad to be reasonably robust for meat & potatoes features, but when major new features are released, it's always best to be aware that there's a distinct possibility that a few bug fix releases will follow before things settle down.

• @mrufino1 said:
    Anyway, I realized I completely derailed the topic, sorry!

Don't worry, it's off the rails now anyway. Carry on as it's all info good to me.

I bought Symphony Pro as the outlay for Staffpad (Staffpad app, Apple Pencil, any addons I need) are way more than I can spend right now. I just wish I could find the crescendo function.

@jonmoore said:
    It's not an issue of the Staffpad team being inflexible it's simply the case they feel that only the Apple Pencil delivers the quality of interaction they require. At the end of the day, Staffpad is a high-end offering that's created with a professional customer in mind, and it has an asking price to match (especially once you start purchasing the sample libraries). With that in mind, the cost of an Apple Pencil 2 is one of the smaller considerations.

Not necessarily. I've spoken to them about the Logitech Crayon and Tablature and the response has be quite positive. Unfortunately as it stands Symphony Pro $40 vs Staffpad et. al. over $200 (remember I'm in Au$tralia) made my decision for me regardless of quality.

• @McD some say flat.io is better for MusicXML generation.

• edited January 2022

@Ailerom said:
    Unfortunately as it stands Symphony Pro $40 vs Staffpad et. al. over $200 (remember I'm in Au$tralia) made my decision for me regardless of quality.

I can see Staffpad reducing the price of the core app at some point in the future, but the libraries will always be a premium thing as there's a significant revenue share to the library creators. Although it has to be said, the core library in Staffpad is of a higher standard than any other iOS notation app. It's worth considering purchasing Staffpad when it's 50% off (I picked it up for £34 here in the UK). The only downside is that you'll be lusting after the premium libraries, which are an all too easy click away!

There are plenty of notation apps on iOS that are available for a reasonable price but none that offer the same quality in third-party libraries. And that's the divide, unfortunately, you get what you pay for.

I don't have any experience of Symphony Pro but I'm sure it stands up to Staffpad with regards to its notation capabilities. And for most people, the quality of its sound library will be good enough.

• @jonmoore said:

@Ailerom said:
    Unfortunately as it stands Symphony Pro $40 vs Staffpad et. al. over $200 (remember I'm in Au$tralia) made my decision for me regardless of quality.

I can see Staffpad reducing the price of the core app at some point in the future, but the libraries will always be a premium thing as there's a significant revenue share to the library creators. Although it has to be said, the core library in Staffpad is of a higher standard than any other iOS notation app. It's worth considering purchasing Staffpad when it's 50% off (I picked it up for £34 here in the UK). The only downside is that you'll be lusting after the premium libraries, which are an all too easy click away!

There are plenty of notation apps on iOS that are available for a reasonable price but none that offer the same quality in third-party libraries. And that's the divide, unfortunately, you get what you pay for.

I don't have any experience of Symphony Pro but I'm sure it stands up to Staffpad with regards to its notation capabilities. And for most people, the quality of its sound library will be good enough.

I totally agree with all of that. I'd grab Staffpad on sale just because I am pretty certain it is a better, smoother, better supported app. For now though, with the current cost and tools I have, Symphony Pro is really quite good. Perhaps I should say, even better than my skills deserve.

• Did I just miss the Staffpad sale? I had no idea that was a sale price but it has gone up from 62 to over $130.

• @Ailerom unfortunately yes. There will likely be another sale around Easter if I recall correctly from this last year. Just enough time to build up your FOMO.