Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KORG iM1 pros and cons

I'm considering buying KORG iM1 to add to my KORG collection.

I have Gadget, Module Pro, and KORG iMS-20. I use a KORG Nanokey Studio with them, and a 37 key keyboard will be on order next week. Maybe the Microkey Air 37.

I write ambient, contemplative drone, and soundscapes. I favour classical instruments (piano, cello, choir, flute, duduk, etc) laid over organic washes created in synths with pads and drones. I'm learning to make my own pads, loops, and drones.

Tell me, what are the pros and cons of KORG iM1?

Comments

• Pro - matches everything you wrote and adds a new M1 gadget to Gadget.

Cons - not AuV3

here's a comprehensive video of sounds:

• @KirbyMumbo said:
    Pro - matches everything you wrote and adds a new M1 gadget to Gadget.

Cons - not AuV3

here's a comprehensive video of sounds:

Thanks @KirbyMumbo, I'll sit down and take all this in. It's a great help.

• Get the IAP’s and you’ll have 100’s and 100’s of additional classic M1 and T1 sounds. That’s a lot of fodder for creating Combis and Multis. They’re $2.99 US each right now.

• edited November 2020

I like iM1 a lot, and agree with the recommendation to get the IAPs. I hope it becomes an AUv3, but it works well on my iPad Air 1!

The question, I think, is whether you'll use it if you already have Module Pro. Given your interests, you might get more mileage if you spent the money on IAPs for Module. The M1 did a lot of things credibly, but the Module instruments are going to sound more nuanced. In a loud mix, it might not matter, but for ambient...?

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

iM1 is one of the most versatile synths on iOS. It should be fabulous for the usage described in the OP. If you're mainly a preset surfer, the IAPs provide an astounding (overwhelming IMO) range of sounds.

If you dive in beyond the presets to it's synth possibilities, it's practically endless.

It almost makes me wish I wasn't so loathe to use IAA synths these days, or that I used Gadget far more.

• CB3 handles IAA pretty well so I’ve reinstalled ODYSSEi, IMonoPoly and iM1 to play with. Still want to see them go AU.

• edited November 2020

@anickt said:
    CB3 handles IAA pretty well so I’ve reinstalled ODYSSEi, IMonoPoly and iM1 to play with. Still want to see them go AU.

Got me motivated to go off and have a fiddle. Can see IM1 and ODYSSEi in CB3 but no iMonoPoly. Do I have the name right? Anyone see it in CB3?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@anickt said:
    CB3 handles IAA pretty well so I’ve reinstalled ODYSSEi, IMonoPoly and iM1 to play with. Still want to see them go AU.

Got me motivated to go off and have a fiddle. Can see IM1 and ODYSSEi in CB3 but no iMonoPoly. Do I have the name right? Anyone see it in CB3?

Not seeing Monopoly or PolySix. Reported to Steinberg

• edited November 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear

I got the answer. You load the IAA in an audio track rather than MIDI track. And then create a MIDI track to control it. A little weird but seems to work.

Create a MIDI track and select IAA as output and disable audio output so you only hear the IAA instrument.

• edited November 2020

@anickt Thank you very much! I have learned a few things here and will give it a go tonight and see how I get on. You have also made me happy because your screen 'handwriting' is about on a par with mine :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @anickt Thank you very much! I have learned a few things here and will give it a go tonight and see how I get on. You have also made me happy because your screen 'handwriting' is about on a par with mine :)

😂👍🏼

• edited November 2020

Pros:

1. this is the M1 sound you remember
    2. You can get all the sounds you could never afford or find on those damn cartridges
    3. It is easier to menu dive and customize than on a real M1

Cons:

1. It is IAA only (No Auv3)
    2. It is not the same in Gadget (Darwin) it is a stripped down version and you will not have all of your sounds
    3. There is no onboard sequencer like on the real M1
    4. It is a real pain in the ass to save your custom sounds
  • @ralis said:

Cons:

1. It is a real pain in the ass to save your custom sounds

Bing bing bing...

• @ralis said:
    Pros:

2. You can get all the sounds you could never afford or find on those damn cartridges

Cons:

2. It is not the same in Gadget (Darwin) it is a stripped down version and you will not have all of your sounds

Out of curiosity, in what ways is the Darwin Gadget’s sound engine different from the standalone’s?

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@ralis said:
    Pros:

Cons:

Out of curiosity, in what ways is the Darwin Gadget’s sound engine different from the standalone’s?

Sound engine the same. Functionality stripped way down. There are only basic ADSR, filter, and FX parameters available.

• @ralis said:

This might be confusing for some. It does have all single ‘programs’ (factory and user) in Gadget (Darwin). The ‘Combi’ sounds are not available in Darwin.

• In my Gadget work, I habitually add a copy of whatever bassline I’m doing in Oddysey etc to an M1 parallel track running a bass guitar sound on the same notes, just to strengthen the bass sound.

• @ralis

1. It is a real pain in the ass to save your custom sounds

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

iM1 has, for my tastes, the best sounds of any iOS synth, but I find it really REALLY unintuitive and frustrating. Does anyone here understand it enough to help me a bit? Maybe by email or DM or whatever so as not to bore everyone else…
    And yes, I have RTFM 😊
    Several times

• @u0421793 said:
    In my Gadget work, I habitually add a copy of whatever bassline I’m doing in Oddysey etc to an M1 parallel track running a bass guitar sound on the same notes, just to strengthen the bass sound.

The muted pick bass sound is especially cool for that!

1. Create your preset
    2. Tap on preset name in top center window
    3. Tap “Write”
    4. Choose one of the User or Library Cards 1-4 (they scroll horizontally)
    5. Double tap on the slot you want to save the preset to
    6. Type in name of new preset
    7. Hit “Return” ONCE!
    8. CLOSE THE KEYBOARD (tap lower right keyboard down icon)
    9. Done!

I have found this to work every time. If you deviate from these exact steps you will burn in hell…

• @anickt said:

If you deviate from these exact steps you will burn in hell…

Ha!! Thanks so much @anickt - will try this later

• @anickt Actually, hang on....it's the "1. Create your preset" bit that I struggle with....

• @Kashi said:
    @anickt Actually, hang on....it's the "1. Create your preset" bit that I struggle with....

So you understand how to save presets but not how to create them in the first place?

• @anickt said:

So you understand how to save presets but not how to create them in the first place?

Nope. Don't understand any of it. Hence my request for help :)

• @Kashi said:

@anickt said:

Nope. Don't understand any of it. Hence my request for help :)

Do you understand basic synthesis and patch programming on other synths?

If so, then a Program on M1 is essentially the same as any synth: Oscillators > Filter > Amp with each having Envelope and LFO modulation plus an FX section.

If none of that makes any sense to you either buy the M1 IAP and use any of the 100’s of presets available or search for basic synthesizer programming online and on YouTube and start learning all about it! It will take some investment in time for sure.

😮👍🏼

• Sorry @anickt , you've misunderstood what I'm asking. I'm only talking about UNBELIEVABLY rudimentary stuff, like navigating from one page to another without losing the sound that I'm working with. Not synthesis, or programming,...
    It's possible that my question is so basic, like lots of my other questions, that folks think I mean something more technical, but I really don't..

• P.S - I have bought all the M1 IAPs, because I love the sounds so much :)
    Just find the app really awkward to use

• @Kashi said:
    P.S - I have bought all the M1 IAPs, because I love the sounds so much :)
    Just find the app really awkward to use

LOL - use the navigation “buttons” (circled below) to move around. Don’t touch anything else except the parameters obviously and save as you go. I found the interface overwhelming when I had a hardware M1 but it’s mostly a matter learning what you need to get into and what you can stay out of.

If you stick with those 6 pages until you’re comfortable with what they do then you can venture off into the other functions like Combis and Multis.

• @Kashi said:
    I'm only talking about UNBELIEVABLY rudimentary stuff, like navigating from one page to another without losing the sound that I'm working with.

In the preset browser you need to tap on a preset name twice, otherwise it’ll go back to the previously selected preset once you go to another page.
    iM1 is a bit illogical in this regard. They did a better job with iWavestation.

• Ok, just opened it up and already what you've said in your last post has helped. Thanks @anickt

more questions soon..... I guarantee it :#