Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Well bought a new Mac Book M1 Air and Logic Pro….. now what. LOL

Just walked by the Apple Store and the money flew out my hands. Its been 9 years since I have had a MAC…. So this paired with my M1 iPad Pro I should have no more excuses!!!!!!
Never have used Logic before so this should be fun.

Comments

• @onerez said:
    Just walked by the Apple Store and the money flew out my hands. Its been 9 years since I have had a MAC…. So this paired with my M1 iPad Pro I should have no more excuses!!!!!!

Wow. Congrats. It’s a fantastic combination I think.

Logic on an M1 Mac just flies.

I think next year will mark 30 years of Logic for me!

• well I can tell you that I have touched the screen like 30 times already. LOL.

• @onerez said:
    well I can tell you that I have touched the screen like 30 times already. LOL.

That's one of the reasons I'll not get another Apple laptop until they actually have a touch-screen :sunglasses:
    Apple says no at the moment but I'm quite sure there will be one sooner or later...
    (I'm happy with Logic Pro on my MacMini and a 4K display, It's located far away enough to touch to avoid smudging the screen).

• @Samu just wear gloves

• edited January 2022

Nice! Now get to making music! The YouTube channel “Why Logic Pro Rules” is fantastic for logic tutorials, as is music tech help guy and musician on a mission if you need any tutorials. Groove 3 and Macprovideo also have good logic tutorials. The musician on a mission video with 40 Logic shortcuts (I think) was especially helpful.

What spec MacBook Air did you get? I know at some point my 2012 mbp is going to need replacing.

• Another vote for macprovideo!

• @mrufino1 I just got the MacBook Air M1, 512 storage, 8gig of ram. thanks for the suggestions on the videos. My head hurt when I opened up Logic the first time. LOL. 😀

• My advice, for what it’s worth, for learning Logic is two-fold. And applies to most software :-)

First of all just Find out all the things it can do without worrying about how to actually do them — knowing a feature exists will come in handy later… have a trawl through the enormously long keyboard shortcut settings for a glimpse of the ridiculous depth it has.

Secondly don’t fight it. Just give in and do things the Logic way. At least to start with. Like most software it will reward you for bending to its way of doing things rather than you trying to do stuff the way you’ve always done it.

Once you know it well enough you’ll find lots of different ways of doing things but having the basic foundation of how it expects you to do things nailed will help you become a proper power user.

• A bold move by a bold man. 😎

• @LinearLineman said:
    A bold move by a bold man. 😎

Ya Bold because my wife is going to kick my a$$. 😂

• edited January 2022
    1. Load up a drummer
    2. Load up a synth
    3. Use one of the many great arp patterns built into Logic.

Track complete 🙂

Oh and use your iPad for logic remote so you still get the feeling of playing glass.

• @onerez said:
    @mrufino1 I just got the MacBook Air M1, 512 storage, 8gig of ram. thanks for the suggestions on the videos. My head hurt when I opened up Logic the first time. LOL. 😀

Your head will hurt at first but once you get into using it, I think you’ll find there’s a lot of things that really make sense. I used to watch people use logic 9 and wonder how they could deal with it, but Logic Pro x has a really well thought out interface.

I have a lot of custom keyboard shortcuts I’ve made now, but one way I learned shortcuts in the first place is every time I had to look one up or has to learn how to do something, I put it in a notebook on Goodnotes on my iPad. That’s been helpful.

Also, the speakerfood app bundle, which includes gain control, plugsearch, and a presets utility (I haven’t used that one yet) has been extremely helpful for me. Gain control allows you to adjust clip gain in 2 different increments with keyboard shortcuts, and also fades, and is such a workflow enhancer. Plugsearch allows you to hover your pointer over a plug-in slot, hit one key, and have a search box come up. You can also remove plugins with that same key- it’s really handy!

One last thing- learn to use click zones for your tools (is in the preferences) and you’ll do very little tool switching. I usually have my primary tool as the arrow (whatever they call it) and my secondary tool as scissors, which you access by command clicking, then depending on where I am on the wave display the main tool switches to marquee, pointer, fade, loop, etc.

I hope that’s a help!

• edited January 2022

@onerez said:

Congrats. Be sure and grab the Logic Remote for the iPad. I found that it helps simplify things a ton in regards to the depth of Logic...and hey...it's really fun and cool to use as well.

Also, you can touch the Glass and do things with it on the shiny shiny iPad M1 which will impress your wife :)

"Look honey...I can control Logic on my new MacBook Air M1, all the way from over here on the sofa with my new iPad Pro M1..."

What could go wrong with this kind of thinking? :p

• @echoopera said:

@onerez said:

Congrats. Be sure and grab the Logic Remote for the iPad. I found that it helps simplify things a ton in regards to the depth of Logic...and hey...it's really fun and cool to use as well.

Also, you can touch the Glass and do things with it on the shiny shiny iPad M1 which will impress your wife :)

"Look honey...I can control Logic on my new MacBook Air M1, all the way from over here on the sofa with my new iPad Pro M1..."

What could go wrong with this kind of thinking? :p

I will have to duck………

• @onerez once you get a footing in Logic make your own custom hotkey combos: mine are for switching between cursor and scissors, opening and closing the waveform editor, and zooming in and out — once these are in your muscle memory you’ll be Flying with Logic.

• @onerez said:
    @mrufino1 I just got the MacBook Air M1, 512 storage, 8gig of ram. thanks for the suggestions on the videos. My head hurt when I opened up Logic the first time. LOL. 😀

Just be careful with the MacProVideo videos. Some are for really old versions of Logic. I bought a couple as iPad apps and they were useless and I got a refund. Others are great but I have mostly used them for Final Cut Pro.

• I bought Logic when they made the price 100 and something Euros... and never looked back. I have Ableton Suite 10, even bought the 11 upgrade, but got a refund.

Honestly Logic is the best. The new Samplers & Drum Machine Designer are dope.

• @Samu said:

@onerez said:
    well I can tell you that I have touched the screen like 30 times already. LOL.

That's one of the reasons I'll not get another Apple laptop until they actually have a touch-screen :sunglasses:
    Apple says no at the moment but I'm quite sure there will be one sooner or later...
    (I'm happy with Logic Pro on my MacMini and a 4K display, It's located far away enough to touch to avoid smudging the screen).

@Samu you are naive. Apple wants you to buy a MacBook and an iPad and then use them integrated with Universal Control. That’s the Apple way.

@onerez LOL, never walk into an Apple store with a lot of money in your pocket. My trick is that the day before I write 100 times “I just buy this cable, I just buy this cable…”

• edited January 2022

Just my 2 ct about desktop and Logic. Out of frustration about the shortcomings of the iOS DAWs I installed the trial of Logic on my work MacBook. Honestly the UI and the workflow were shocking me. Without the manual or the online help I was lost and I felt like beamed back into the 90s. Colorful icons that depict actual instruments. Pseudo 3D UI elements, WTF. I mean look at Sculpture:

I think Apple really must rewrite the UI completely. I also failed in understanding Live Loops. Probably Logic is just not for me because I also installed Ableton Live lite and I could just use it without studying the manual and the UI is not causing eye cancer. The session mode just works for me. Plugging in my Launchpad X and just using it. No need to turn it around like in Logic.

Most of all I missed the nice looking iOS apps and the touch operation. Logic Remote is great but it’s still a remote and not the actual application. No, I stick with the iPad against all odds. I’m a hobbyist and I enjoy dabbling around. I don’t produce songs with 50+ tracks.

@onerez sorry I don’t wanna spoil your fun. For laptops the MacBook Air is probably the best value for the money ATM and you will enjoy it for sure. Keep us updated how you can use it together with your iPad. Maybe I just don’t get it.

• @krassmann No dont worry…. I bought this laptop mostly for consulting work. I left the desktop for a reason and i hope to just dabble around in Logic and see. I also have some serious plugins that I have bought for the desktop that I have the license for in MAC so I might as well use them. I still go to touch the screen every fricken 3 minutes 😂

• @onerez Loopy Pro is quite good fun on the M1 Macs.

As are Drambo, Animoog Z, miRack.. etc.. And still pretty usable despite being developed for iPad.

• Honestly, coming from iOS, Logic was an absolute disappointment.

Its MIDI mapping functions for creative sequencing are a nightmare, with all the instruments listening to all the MIDI channels even when you filter them, unless you do a super complicated and time consuming setup that involves using its MIDI environment tool with an ugly, tiny and obsolete UI.

It does a lot of simple things in a super complicated way, it has an enormous inconsistency between the UX design of its instruments.

And for creative workflows involving live improvisations, it's a nightmare compared to AUM.

I almost abandon the desktop world, because it was impossible to me to find the same degree of inspiration as with working with iOS/AUM.

Until I tried Ableton Live, and then Bitwig.

This Black Friday I bought a license of Bitwig, and wow, now I'm glued to my Mac creating music and experimenting, with the same degree of creativity and sense of wonder that I used to have with iOS and AUM.

But this perception will always change depending on your workflow.

Probably, for lineal editing, recording real instruments and producing in a classical way, doing something like rock music, Logic should be amazing. And I really miss Sculpture, even with its awful and esoteric interface.

But if you're into experimental music, sound design, live improvisations, looping, nothing can beat Bitwig. It's like Ableton Live merged with Drambo on steroids. And it perfectly integrates with and iPad and AUM via studiomux.

• edited January 2022

@krassmann Ultrabeat is even worse than Sculpture!

It's almost impossible to use on a 14" screen for me now. It was great in the pre-retina days! But it's now a pre-retina UI in a hi-res world. It's hard to think I used to use Logic on a Mac Classic (B&W 9" Screen with 512 x 342 pixel resolution!)

But things have been getting better for quite a while, but it's slow progress. EXS24 has recently been replaced by sampler and is extremely clear and easy to use:

Alchemy is another good example of clear, boring even, UI design

That's the way the UI has been going for a good while now. But a lot of Logic is really old. It's a 30 year old app with roots on the Atari and in places it still shows (go hunting around the Environment window for some 1994 era UI for example).

As for the live loops, it makes much more sense for Logic's loops to be 90° rotated compared to Live's as it fits the arrangement view of Logic that way around. The controllers like the Launchpad were originally designed for Live not Logic, so it's obviously going to work better with the software it was designed for. However the latest Launchpads no longer need to be rotated to use with Logic and work much better out of the box. The iPad remote app makes for a really good launchpad for live loops.

But if you prefer Live, there's no need to switch. Both Live and Logic are hugely deep DAWs that can pretty much do anything you could wish for to make a record. The main difference is the way in which you reach the end goal.

The Mac has lots of really good, incredibly powerful DAWs. If you don't like the way one of them works you're sure to find something perfect with one of the others. If only iOS was so richly served DAW wise!

• Aw man, Ultrabeat is truly ugly. They should do the same facelift they did to EXS24 to all the stock plugins. That’s really nice and clean. And I think you are right that Logic might contain tons of legacy code going back to ancient times. If this assumption is true then this will be a problem. All software projects I worked on that had a large legacy code base were problematic. Outdated technologies and frameworks that virtually no developer on the market knows. Very hard to maintain and even harder to add new features. Who knows, maybe they already working on a new pro DAW based on Garage Band and hopefully it will be universal.

You also made me curious about Bitwig. Maybe I’ll check out the trial. I’ve seen they still have a winter sale and the 16 track version is just 79 bucks. That’s tempting.

• This is why every time people say they want Logic on the iPad I shudder. It would be damn near impossible to use.

• OK.... I am an idiot. where the heck is Loopy Pro for the Mac???

• I believe LoopyPro was pulled from the Mac App Store for the short term. Something about some stability issues or something.

• @Tarekith said:
    This is why every time people say they want Logic on the iPad I shudder. It would be damn near impossible to use.

Yeah but it's not the apple way to just port an app, and probably why it still doesn't exist.

If there is a Logic for iPad my guess is that it will be something along the lines of the Final Cut Pro X release; A total re-write from scratch. Which will probably be massively polarising. It might even be a completely new app. Or nothing at all, who knows?

But If you look at the newest additions to Logic Pro X, they'd fit the iPad perfectly. Drum Synth already looks like an iPad app already for example. It could be that they're adding in features to the existing app that will be part of the new one? Just conjecture on my part, but there's no way Apple will port Logic as it is to the iPad. It's just not possible.

The amount of great new content Apple have provided with Logic Pro X is truly staggering. A Logic Pro point release gives more than many full version upgrades for other DAWs. For Free. This buys a lot of goodwill. At least on my part. The new drum synths for example are all free upgrades and are fun to use. That alone stops me complaining about the old plugins like Ultrabeat which is probably still only there for legacy reasons.

I recently found some old backups of some songs I made with my band 15 years ago. They still all load perfectly (although that is mainly because, surprisingly for me, I saved them again as version 7 files which still load in LPX -- Pre 7 files won't load in LPX). Again luckily for me the main third party plug-in I used on most of the old songs was CamelPhat and Logic updated and transitioned all those settings to the new Phat Fx plug-in. Which came in a free update. I've gone off on a tangent, but that kind of legacy is hard to replace. I don't envy Apple's task, whichever direction they choose.