Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wotja 22 - Generative Music App & Plug-in Host (Free, Pro; AUv3 / VST3)

Comments

• @enkaytee said:
    Ah - OK. I'm not getting past the initial scan on the Mac version so I don't yet know which plugins work or not in Wotja...

That is back on page 5 :smile:

The current list that I'm aware of is this (NB this is an iOS list) - do please let me know if you find anything else, for iOS, macOS, or even Windows :wink:

iOS: Midi tools
    iOS: Midi Route
    iOS: Atom 1

Best wishes, Pete

• I just added a review, rambling musings on what I might try with it anyway 😁

• edited January 2022

@impete said:

@enkaytee said:
    Ah - OK. I'm not getting past the initial scan on the Mac version so I don't yet know which plugins work or not in Wotja...

The current list that I'm aware of is this (NB this is an iOS list) - do please let me know if you find anything else, for iOS, macOS, or even Windows :wink:

Best wishes, Pete

@impete - I'm talking about the Mac version which stalls while scanning - I've already got the ipad version working by temporarily removing the offending plugins.
    Unfortunately Wotja crashes too quickly for me to see which plugin is causing the issue, but given that I have over 200 audio units I'm guessing there may be several that could crash Wotja and I don't really want to go through the process of uninstalling them if I can help it.

• edited January 2022

@impete said:

@enkaytee said:

Best wishes, Pete

So far I've found these desktop Audio Units which crash Wotja during the plugin scan on macOS:

A2M (Audio to Midi)
    Melody Sauce
    miRack
    Orb Composer
    Phrasebox
    Reaktor 6
    reMIDI 2
    Riffer
    Scaler 2
    Stochas

One of the common features seems to be that they all feature some form of MIDI generation capabilities.
    Unfortunately, because miRack is an AppStore app with a 'built-in' AUv3 plugin, the only way I can progress is by uninstalling it which I'm not willing to do at this stage (up to this point I was moving each offending .component file from the plugin folder as I indentified it). However, it looks like there will be many more plugins which will cause the problem.

• @UMCorps said:
    It’s a few pages back now but when I posted that preview video on NYE I said I’d post the mix file after Jan 1st. I just added the link to the video notes. It’s here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/16sif9smko19wxf/Off planet(2) 2.wotja?dl=0

Thanks very much. Very nice!

• edited January 2022

@impete said:

@Krupa said:
    You too, nice work, sorry about all the bustle on New Year’s Day 😁

Tell me about it - I was hoping to have a few days off!! :tired_face:

Anyhow, I think that between us, we've got all our early iOS users up-and-running. Many thanks to all.

Windows and VST3 support is a different ball-game - AUv3 plug-ins are much better behaved - thank you, Apple!

Best wishes, Pete

The problem is that for users on Intel machines who have loads of AUv2 plugins, the scanning process may be a nightmare, and prevent Wotja from loading - I've identified a lot of 'problem' AUs for Wotja (listed in a previous post) which haven't caused any issues with other hosts / DAWs but which cause the 'scanning crash'. Simply put, the app is unusable for probably quite a few existing and potential Mac users and I'm guessing app store reviews and comments in forums will start to reflect this. I'm happy to be patient and help towards getting a fix, but please don't assume that everything in 'Mac world' is perfect...

• @enkaytee said:

One of the common features seems to be that they all feature some form of MIDI generation capabilities.
    Unfortunately, because miRack is an AppStore app with a 'built-in' AUv3 plugin, the only way I can progress is by uninstalling it which I'm not willing to do at this stage

I know it doesn’t help your situation but MIRack works fine on my system both on desktop and iOS and has been stable for me since the earliest beta stages of Wotja 22 (as I use it a lot for sound design prototyping).

If I can get some studio time I’ll double check later today and confirm what it’s working on here cos I can’t recall exactly which OS I’m running on my studio Mac

• edited January 2022

@UMCorps said:

@enkaytee said:

Unfortunately, because miRack is an AppStore app with a 'built-in' AUv3 plugin, the only way I can progress is by uninstalling it which I'm not willing to do at this stage

I know it doesn’t help your situation but MIRack works fine on my system both on desktop and iOS and has been stable for me since the earliest beta stages of Wotja 22 (as I use it a lot for sound design prototyping).

If I can get some studio time I’ll double check later today and confirm what it’s working on here cos I can’t recall exactly which OS I’m running on my studio Mac

Thanks - not sure if it's possible without reinstalling but maybe you could let me know whether the latest Wotja version on Mac completes a scan with miRack installed and if so which OS version and hardware you're running?

miRack wasn't a problem on my ipad - the only plugins that crashed Wotja while scanning are the ones already identified. I think the real issue here is not whether a particular plugin will work within Wotja - those are typically going to be (as I understand it) synths and other audio generators or effects. The fact is that with certain plugins present on a system (which seem to be MIDI sequencers or generators of some sort and therefore not usable in Wotja), the app simply won't load. I'm very hopeful of a solution and more than happy to help out in identifying issues and testing...

• I don’t suppose there’s any sort of audio file playback generator? I thought the particle one might but can’t see it in the docs; I’ve got neon audio editor working as an alternative, but more control would be nice… I’m up for testing too if if needed btw @impete

• @impete said:

@enkaytee said:

Best wishes, Pete

We should probably add Kaspar to the list, as a couple of us are getting crashes even though it's working for others (including one of my own other devices).

• @enkaytee said:

So far I've found these desktop Audio Units which crash Wotja during the plugin scan on macOS:

A2M (Audio to Midi)
    Melody Sauce
    miRack
    Orb Composer
    Phrasebox
    Reaktor 6
    reMIDI 2
    Riffer
    Scaler 2
    Stochas

I don't know what this tells us, but Orb Composer scans without problem for me. (Not sure what I'd do with it hosted in Wotja, though!)

• edited January 2022

@Masanga said:

@enkaytee said:

A2M (Audio to Midi)
    Melody Sauce
    miRack
    Orb Composer
    Phrasebox
    Reaktor 6
    reMIDI 2
    Riffer
    Scaler 2
    Stochas

I don't know what this tells us, but Orb Composer scans without problem for me. (Not sure what I'd do with it hosted in Wotja, though!)

Well, it was one of the component plugins of the Orb composer suite that caused the crash so I elected to remove them all. I see you're on a Mac, but which OS version / hardware?

I think one of the common themes may be that the plugins causing the crashes have some form of MIDI generation capabilities and (as you say), aren't going to be used in Wotja...

• @Krupa said:
    I don’t suppose there’s any sort of audio file playback generator? I thought the particle one might but can’t see it in the docs; I’ve got neon audio editor working as an alternative, but more control would be nice…

Right now the only way to play back audio files within Wotja is to collate them into a soundfont (sf2) and use the Wavetable unit for p,aback. If you are on iOS and use iCloud as Wotja’s storage then you just need to drop the sf2 file in the top level of the Wotja folder and the WT unit will find it. It also means the soundfont will be available across devices if you have more than one.

• @UMCorps said:
    On the last day of the year, a little ambient track looking forward to tomorrow.

Using some of the new sample sets added to IM Synths in Wotja 22.

Recorded directly using the iPad screen cap utility. Audio is unedited. I did overlay some Lissajous figures recorded previously for eye candy.

I’ll post a link to the mix file and the synth definitions used here once Wotja 22 is live.

Love the little details and flutters

• @UMCorps said:

@Krupa said:
    I don’t suppose there’s any sort of audio file playback generator? I thought the particle one might but can’t see it in the docs; I’ve got neon audio editor working as an alternative, but more control would be nice…

Right now the only way to play back audio files within Wotja is to collate them into a soundfont (sf2) and use the Wavetable unit for p,aback. If you are on iOS and use iCloud as Wotja’s storage then you just need to drop the sf2 file in the top level of the Wotja folder and the WT unit will find it. It also means the soundfont will be available across devices if you have more than one.

Oh that’s quite nice and handy, I’ll use that for instrument sounds, nice one… in this case, I’m looking to generatively play slices, or different regions of audio files… the flexibility of using AUv3 will probably work out once I’ve figured out a method 😀

• @Krupa said:

Oh that’s quite nice and handy, I’ll use that for instrument sounds, nice one… in this case, I’m looking to generatively play slices, or different regions of audio files… the flexibility of using AUv3 will probably work out once I’ve figured out a method 😀

You won't get that degree of flexibility from the sf2 format. The sf2 spec doesn't give you a way to address different sample start points dynamically. Its a very flexible format in many ways and has stood the test of time but it was really designed for instrumental sounds and spot FX.

I think you'd probably need to use a plugin to do that kind of direct sample manipulation. Preferably one that you could allocate midi parameters (eg velocity) to the sample start position. I'll have. a think and see if anything comes to mind but I'm not really that well versed in the world of plug-ins.

• @enkaytee said:

Thanks - not sure if it's possible without reinstalling but maybe you could let me know whether the latest Wotja version on Mac completes a scan with miRack installed and if so which OS version and hardware you're running?

Here you go.

Wotja desktop running MIRack as of right now

My Mac

• edited January 2022

@UMCorps said:

@Krupa said:

You won't get that degree of flexibility from the sf2 format. The sf2 spec doesn't give you a way to address different sample start points dynamically. Its a very flexible format in many ways and has stood the test of time but it was really designed for instrumental sounds and spot FX.

I think you'd probably need to use a plugin to do that kind of direct sample manipulation. Preferably one that you could allocate midi parameters (eg velocity) to the sample start position. I'll have. a think and see if anything comes to mind but I'm not really that well versed in the world of plug-ins.

Cheers, I’ve had some success with neon already, I’m going to dig deeper this afternoon and see if I can get some sort of sample offset rather than just using a set of slices… it’s exploratory work for installations that I’m thinking of…

• edited January 2022

@UMCorps said:

@enkaytee said:

Here you go.

Wotja desktop running MIRack as of right now

My Mac

OK - thanks, so you're on an M1 Mac which may be a factor.

• @enkaytee It could be a factor. But I know other testers have had MIRack hosted ok by Wotja on Intel Macs. So whatever the problem is, its clearly more than just that.

• edited January 2022

@enkaytee said:

@Masanga said:

@enkaytee said:

A2M (Audio to Midi)
    Melody Sauce
    miRack
    Orb Composer
    Phrasebox
    Reaktor 6
    reMIDI 2
    Riffer
    Scaler 2
    Stochas

Well, it was one of the component plugins of the Orb composer suite that caused the crash so I elected to remove them all. I see you're on a Mac, but which OS version / hardware?

I think one of the common themes may be that the plugins causing the crashes have some form of MIDI generation capabilities and (as you say), aren't going to be used in Wotja...

Actually I've just realised you're right: I'd disabled Orb Composer MIDI because I was fed up with all its channels turning up in my output list. On the other hand, Reaktor 6 scans and works on my Macbook Air 2020 M1 with the latest Monterey. But with my Intel mini on Catalina it's one of many that don't, which is fair enough as Wotja plugin hosting isn't really supposed to work at all on Catalina.

• @Krupa said:
    Cheers, I’ve had some success with neon already, I’m going to dig deeper this afternoon and see if I can get some sort of sample offset rather than just using a set of slices… it’s exploratory work for installations that I’m thinking of…

Radio Music is a perfect little Eurorack hardware module designed for this very purpose.

There is a software implementation of it available in VCV Rack (https://library.vcvrack.com/modular80/RadioMusic) but, sadly its not included in MIRack.

I know the latest update of VCVR included a VSTi version but I have no idea if or how that would work with Wotja as a host. Its also not very cheap and, from what I hear, is still a bit too new to be fully stable. It would probably be simpler to address it from Wotja as a stand-alone app if that's what you wanted to do.

• @Masanga said:

@enkaytee said:

@Masanga said:

@enkaytee said:

A2M (Audio to Midi)
    Melody Sauce
    miRack
    Orb Composer
    Phrasebox
    Reaktor 6
    reMIDI 2
    Riffer
    Scaler 2
    Stochas

Actually I've just realised you're right: I'd disabled Orb Composer MIDI because I was fed up with all its channels turning up in my output list. On the other hand, Reaktor 6 scans and works on my Macbook Air 2020 M1 with the latest Monterey. But with my Intel mini on Catalina it's one of many that don't, which is fair enough as Wotja plugin hosting isn't really supposed to work at all on Catalina.

Looking a little like the processor type may be a factor - I'm on a new 27" Intel 5k iMac and Monterey.

• @impete

I have approximately 400 audio apps (both AUv3 and IAA, the majority AUv3) and deleted Victor Poof's MIDI Tools (MIDI Route is part of MIDI Tools), and Wotja 22 loaded without problem. I must admit I hadn't expected that to be the case, so was pleasantly surprised. The problem I now have is that I rely on MIDI Tools a lot, so I'm going to have to install and remove them on an ongoing basis until a fix is in place.

I had intended to get Wotja 22 on Windows too but until there's a graceful way for Wotja to skip problematic plugins I'll probably hold tight. The problem I have is that I've been purchasing (and upgrading) VST plugins since year dot and have a far larger library on Windows (and macOS) than iOS and I'm pretty certain I'll encounter failures as some plugins I own have already been mentioned in this thread.

@UMCorps VCV Rack 2 is currently only functional as a VST2 plugin. I got the impression that Wotja 22 only scans VST3 plugins. If it scans VST2 plugins too, the chances of a clean scan on my collection is even more remote as I have some very old VST2s on my system that function perfectly on my system but they haven't been updated in years.

With regards to VCV Rack 2, one of the things I've been looking forward to is using Wotja 22 and VCV Rack 2 in combination. They should make for a very powerful pairing.

• @jonmoore said:
    I had intended to get Wotja 22 on Windows too but until there's a graceful way for Wotja to skip problematic plugins I'll probably hold tight. The problem I have is that I've been purchasing (and upgrading) VST plugins since year dot and have a far larger library on Windows (and macOS) than iOS and I'm pretty certain I'll encounter failures as some plugins I own have already been mentioned in this thread.

Hi Jon!

Please try the free version of Wotja 22 on Windows, if you get a chance? It'd be interesting to hear from you what you find. Feel free to mail me, or DM me, if that helps.

@UMCorps VCV Rack 2 is currently only functional as a VST2 plugin. I got the impression that Wotja 22 only scans VST3 plugins. If it scans VST2 plugins too, the chances of a clean scan on my collection is even more remote as I have some very old VST2s on my system that function perfectly on my system but they haven't been updated in years.

It should only scan VST3 plug-ins, unless I've got something wrong in the JUCE adaptor code I use.

Best wishes, Pete

• @jonmoore said:

With regards to VCV Rack 2, one of the things I've been looking forward to is using Wotja 22 and VCV Rack 2 in combination. They should make for a very powerful pairing.

Indeed!

Although its very simple to get it to work as stand-alone using the IAC bus.

@Krupa

Little proof of concept of Radio Music and Wotja.

• Folks, I've been trying hard to keep-up with the thread, but if I've not responded to a message that you think I should have done, please feel free to re-post; hopefully I'll spot it!

Best wishes to all, Pete

• @UMCorps said:

@jonmoore said:

Indeed!

@Krupa

Oh that’s nice, very much what I was heading for; I did invest in the full rack package while it was on intro offer so I’ll been investigating that, though I mainly use Mac for my sound stuff, I do have windows machines for 3D work as well…

• Folks, I’ve seen quite a few crashes on macOS related to initialising Harvest and Invader and WavesLib, whatever they might be.

NB: WavesLib is calling some JavaScript within the initialisation code, that bizarrely is trying to initialise WebKit - that looks extremely odd to me.

• @UMCorps said:

@jonmoore said:

Indeed!

@Krupa

IAC bus doesn't exist on Windows, although I have other ways of routing MIDI/Audio between applications on Windows. I was talking specifically about the VST version as this allows one to encapsulate a project in a single savable file.