Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wotja 22 - Generative Music App & Plug-in Host (Free, Pro; AUv3 / VST3)

Comments

• Time for me to dig into this beast 👍👍

• Just to say - Apple - a great job with AUv3. Hats off to them!

Pete

• @god said:

I think your crash is fixed by the 20.0.2 update, we're just submitting this for review now. I'd already got this first update ready a week or so back, in preparation for today!

Don't worry: we get all the crash reports automatically; in general, there isn't any need to send us them, but thanks very much for all your help and support.

Onwards and upwards :smile:

Best wishes, Pete

• The updated Intermorphic website looks beautiful @impete

https://intermorphic.com/

• I’d like to create a cell which has a generator connected to a MIDI channel, without any additional modules beyond the MIDI port connection. The intent is to use this as an AU in a host to send MIDI out to another synth.

I can load templates with generators and MIDI, but they have additional components beyond MIDI.

Is it possible to assemble a simple cell like this?

• Ok i might be thick here…. How come I can create a new mix when I am running it in AUM? I can only do flows???

• @impete said:

@god said:

I think your crash is fixed by the 20.0.2 update, we're just submitting this for review now. I'd already got this first update ready a week or so back, in preparation for today!

Don't worry: we get all the crash reports automatically; in general, there isn't any need to send us them, but thanks very much for all your help and support.

Onwards and upwards :smile:

Best wishes, Pete

Hi @impete - do you get automatic crash reports from Mac OS? If not, should I send you an example where the scan failed?
    Also, just to clarify, it is the AU plugins that are scanned on a Mac and not the VSTs, right?

Cheers and thanks for being around to deal with our issues in a polite and constructive way - it's a big contrast with the way a certain major plugin developer dealt with a fairly catastrophic update to one of their apps recently!

• @Pierre118 said:
    The updated Intermorphic website looks beautiful @impete

https://intermorphic.com/

Many thanks, Pierre. Tim has put an almighty effort into redoing the site. He was working on it even on New Years eve, from 4 in the morning (!). I've passed your kind words on :smile:

Best wishes, Pete

• @enkaytee said:
    Hi @impete - do you get automatic crash reports from Mac OS? If not, should I send you an example where the scan failed?
    Also, just to clarify, it is the AU plugins that are scanned on a Mac and not the VSTs, right?

Yes thanks, we get them for all platforms! This has been a critical thing for us over the years, as it has led to Wotja being very stable (though sure, it crashes from time to time like any app).

I also do a lot of my testing of Wotja with something called an Address Sanitizer, which really gives the software a kicking every time I run it.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/diagnosing-memory-thread-and-crash-issues-early

Cheers and thanks for being around to deal with our issues in a polite and constructive way - it's a big contrast with the way a certain major plugin developer dealt with a fairly catastrophic update to one of their apps recently!

Thank you very much!! :smile:

Tim and I just deal with support questions the way we like to be treated. That leaves - I hope! - everybody as happy as possible. Mind you, it is our own business of over 30 years, so I guess we're both directly motivated to keep our customers as happy as possible! Besides which, it takes a long time to build-up good relationships, and that is always worth the effort I think. Just look how kind and helpful all the Wotja 22 early adopters on this thread have been - lovely.

Best wishes,

Pete

• @onerez said:
    Ok i might be thick here…. How come I can create a new mix when I am running it in AUM? I can only do flows???

Hmm, you're not getting the usual Flows, Mixes, and Albums tabs at the top of the Wotja window in AUM? They're showing for me, for what that's worth…

• @onerez said:
    Ok i might be thick here…. How come I can create a new mix when I am running it in AUM? I can only do flows???

Hi! I think you're looking for this information:

Document screen selector:

https://intermorphic.com/wotja/22/guide/#documents-screen-selector

Mix mode:

https://intermorphic.com/wotja/22/guide/#documents-mix

Please let me know if you need more pointers!

Best wishes, Pete

• Thank you very much!! :smile:

Tim and I just deal with support questions the way we like to be treated. That leaves - I hope! - everybody as happy as possible. Mind you, it is our own business of over 30 years, so I guess we're both directly motivated to keep our customers as happy as possible! Besides which, it takes a long time to build-up good relationships, and that is always worth the effort I think. Just look how kind and helpful all the Wotja 22 early adopters on this thread have been - lovely.

Best wishes,

Pete

As one of your very very early customers (I think I first used Koan in 1995 or therabouts) I can vouch for this!

• @GRiker said:
    I’d like to create a cell which has a generator connected to a MIDI channel, without any additional modules beyond the MIDI port connection. The intent is to use this as an AU in a host to send MIDI out to another synth.

I can load templates with generators and MIDI, but they have additional components beyond MIDI.

Is it possible to assemble a simple cell like this?

Hi! I might be missing what you're trying to do, but I think you simply:

• disable the WAE for Sounds & FX and Hosted Plug-ins (so Wotja emits only MIDI but not audio)

• use your DAW facilities to route the MIDI output from Wotja, to where you want in the DAW.

I'm not a DAW expert, but I'd guess that if you let the thread know what you're using, then somebody will know how to do it!

Best wishes,

Pete

• @enkaytee said:
    As one of your very very early customers (I think I first used Koan in 1995 or therabouts) I can vouch for this!

Wowza!!! Many many thanks for your continued support :smile:

Best wishes, Pete

• Folks, if you happen to read this - do please leave a positive review for Wotja 22 Pro (and Free!!) as these are critical to our keeping Wotja going. 30 years and still rolling, remember! :wink:

Best wishes to all, Pete

• edited January 2022

@UMCorps said:
    Kontakt works fine for me on an M1 Mac Mini.

Kontakt is one of the plugins that gets rejected in Catalina (which isn't really equipped for this) but is recognised for me okay in Monterey. Very few of my own desktop plugins work in Catalina, though Primer and SpaceCraft do. In Monterey, the main surviving offenders are ROLI (including FXpansion; Equator 1 works but not Equator 2, Studio, Cypher, or Strobe) and Newfangled Audio (neither Pendulate nor Generate works).

• @impete Just to say I'm getting the same crash as other folks with Viktor Poof's MIDI Route (from the MID Tools suite). BTW there's nothing wrong with MIDI Route, I use it all the time, but some hosts have an issue with MIDI plugins that show up as audio fx. It's unlikely that this is the only plugin causing crashes, as it's scanned quite early on so it's likely others will show up.

Just a suggestion. Having used many hosts over the years I've noticed that the best of them have a graceful skipping mechanism when encountering plugins that the host can't load. You're usually presented with a dialogue stating something along the lines of:

"Plugin X hasn't loaded properly, do you want to rescan it or skip it both now and in the future"

If you go this route, you are advised to put an option in the global 'Options' to do a cold rescan (rescan everything inclusive of plugins previously marked as 'skip this plugin').

With the vast universe of free and paid plugins on both desktop and mobile platforms, providing a graceful skip mechanism is the most user-friendly choice as crashing plugins don't stop the artist from using your application. You can also build in an anonymised back to base feedback mechanism on problematic plugins that have to be skipped, and that makes for a smarter customer support mechanism.

• edited January 2022

@Masanga It’s no substitute for a proper fix from the maker, but I have managed to force some AUs to work by editing their .plist to include the magic words and then re signing the component file.

It didn’t work with Spitfire Labs I think because of how it manages it’s library via a separate helper app. The plug-in loaded ok but it couldn’t find its instrument library.

But it worked ok with Valhalla Supermassive.

Horrible cludge but hey…

• @jonmoore said:

I’m thinking along these lines! But I think some plugins simply crash; which is much more problematic.

Anyhow, I’ll resolve it soon I hope; it’s all I’ll look at for the foreseeable future!

Pete

• @impete said:

@onerez said:

Hi! I think you're looking for this information:

Document screen selector:

https://intermorphic.com/wotja/22/guide/#documents-screen-selector

Mix mode:

https://intermorphic.com/wotja/22/guide/#documents-mix

Please let me know if you need more pointers!

Best wishes, Pete

Ok this is really bizarre and I think I know what happened. When I opened it in AUM I did not open full screen so when I kept hitting add new mix nothing happened. I went back in and when I opened it full screen I could then see the dialog of where do you want to store local or icloud, when I made my choice then I was able to add new mixes and see everything.

• @Masanga said:

@UMCorps said:

Kontakt is one of the plugins that gets rejected in Catalina (which isn't really equipped for this) but is recognised for me okay in Monterey. Very few of my own desktop plugins work in Catalina, though Primer and SpaceCraft do. In Monterey, the main surviving offenders are ROLI (including Cypher; Equator 1 works but not Equator 2, Studio, Cypher, or Strobe) and Newfangled Audio (neither Pendulate nor Generate works).

@Masanga Eventide apps seem to not load in Monterrey so Black Hole is out. Pendulate and Generate are hosted by Eventide probably why they are broke.

• @impete said:

@jonmoore said:

I’m thinking along these lines! But I think some plugins simply crash; which is much more problematic.

Anyhow, I’ll resolve it soon I hope; it’s all I’ll look at for the foreseeable future!

Pete

I know both Ableton and Bitwig handle this on the desktop by loading plugins into their own thread when scanning (the scanner is actually a separate sandboxed app). The Steinberg and Sony/Magix scanner is much the same (a separate sandboxed app). By working in this manner, they're able to catch the crash without bringing down the host. Maybe iOS/iPadOS doesn't behind the scenes shenanigans of this nature.

Not that it's relevant here (but it is relevant for the desktop versions of Wotja), Bitwig ups the ante again by handling all plugin playback via a bridged hidden app. The benefit here is that even if a plugin crashes during playback, it crashes gracefully without bringing down the host. And the real bonus is that the artist can simply reload the plugin and carry on working.

I know when Steinberg brought Dorico to iPadOS, they skipped integrity scanning altogether. Dorico lists plugins but you only find out if they're going to crash the host at load time. Not ideal, but at least your customers aren't locked out of the app.

• edited January 2022

@Jumpercollins said:

@Masanga said:

@UMCorps said:

Kontakt is one of the plugins that gets rejected in Catalina (which isn't really equipped for this) but is recognised for me okay in Monterey. Very few of my own desktop plugins work in Catalina, though Primer and SpaceCraft do. In Monterey, the main surviving offenders are ROLI (including Cypher; Equator 1 works but not Equator 2, Studio, Cypher, or Strobe) and Newfangled Audio (neither Pendulate nor Generate works).

@Masanga Eventide apps seem to not load in Monterrey so Black Hole is out. Pendulate and Generate are hosted by Eventide probably why they are broke.

They both work for me in Monterey...which host / DAW are you using?

• @enkaytee said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Masanga said:

@UMCorps said:

Wotja! The context of this has probably got a bit buried, but we're talking about hosting in Wotja 22 and which plugins are rejected or in the worst case cause iOS crashes.

• @GRiker said:

@impete said:

@drewinnit said:
    Tried the new version out today but Kaspar is causing it to crash during the AUv3 scan.....

Anybody else using Kaspar?

Pete

Kaspar passed the scan for me, and I’ve successfully loaded it as an AUv3. iOS 15.2, iPad Pro.

Hmm, i wonder why it crashes on Kaspar for me

I’m using the updated subscription app rather than the one-off purchase, but I guess the code should be the same?

I open the app, it scans and crashes very quickly with Kaspar as the last auv3 noted.

• @drewinnit said:

@GRiker said:

@impete said:

@drewinnit said:
    Tried the new version out today but Kaspar is causing it to crash during the AUv3 scan.....

Anybody else using Kaspar?

Pete

Kaspar passed the scan for me, and I’ve successfully loaded it as an AUv3. iOS 15.2, iPad Pro.

Hmm, i wonder why it crashes on Kaspar for me

I’m using the updated subscription app rather than the one-off purchase, but I guess the code should be the same?

I open the app, it scans and crashes very quickly with Kaspar as the last auv3 noted.

Maybe it would be worth trying to delete and reinstall Kaspar?

• edited January 2022

@Masanga said:

@enkaytee said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Masanga said:

@UMCorps said:

Wotja! The context of this has probably got a bit buried, but we're talking about hosting in Wotja 22 and which plugins are rejected or in the worst case cause iOS crashes.

Ah - OK. I'm not getting past the initial scan on the Mac version so I don't yet know which plugins work or not in Wotja...

• It’s a few pages back now but when I posted that preview video on NYE I said I’d post the mix file after Jan 1st. I just added the link to the video notes. It’s here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/16sif9smko19wxf/Off planet(2) 2.wotja?dl=0

• @UMCorps said:
    It’s a few pages back now but when I posted that preview video on NYE I said I’d post the mix file after Jan 1st. I just added the link to the video notes. It’s here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/16sif9smko19wxf/Off planet(2) 2.wotja?dl=0

Thanks...👍

• @impete said:
    Folks, if you happen to read this - do please leave a positive review for Wotja 22 Pro (and Free!!) as these are critical to our keeping Wotja going. 30 years and still rolling, remember! :wink:

Best wishes to all, Pete

Oh well. The only review I can see so far is a 1 star review that mentions one of the 3 problem plug-ins not scanning!

Best to all, Pete