Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ID700 IS HERE

Comments

• edited January 2022

@Agatha_aga i just changed the default aum size so it opens by default in the larger mode (i had reports from customer who didn't realize this was possible and thought the 3:1 display was the only one). is this not more optimal than the previous config?

some background: to do this for aum i had to hard-code the size into a plist that's shipped with the built product. i can't switch this at runtime (so i can't make it a user preference) and also i'm unable to query the size of the host screen at runtime (thanks auv3!). i'm open to doing whatever is useful here but unfortunately my options as a developer are limited :/

• @Uprightmusic said:
    Sorry I don't mean to be a naysayer but as someone who doesn't frequent these forums and do deep searches on demos..a new synth app should have links to sound examples in the first post. Would go a long way in helping me decide if it's something I want to buy or not.

there are some demos here from kurt kurasaki (the guy who did all the presets):

• I love the new randomizer too, its extra terminator 2 in its horror!

• @modosc said:
    @Agatha_aga i just changed the default aum size so it opens by default in the larger mode (i had reports from customer who didn't realize this was possible and thought the 3:1 display was the only one). is this not more optimal than the previous config?

some background: to do this for aum i had to hard-code the size into a plist that's shipped with the built product. i can't switch this at runtime (so i can't make it a user preference) and also i'm unable to query the size of the host screen at runtime (thanks auv3!). i'm open to doing whatever is useful here but unfortunately my options as a developer are limited :/

It’s the first AUv3 that opens in large window in my experience. The problems are:
    -inconsistency with other AUv3s;
    -it covers AUM’s keyboard in that default view (as was shown in my previous post pic);
    -it does not fill all the horizontal space in that view.

I much prefer the earlier one UI section default view like this as a starting point in AUM

And from this starting point you could maximize window with AUM’s keyboard on

or with AUM’s keyboard off

and then go back to compact default view.

• Hi folks, I sent an email to the dev ([email protected]) regarding a Windows version of ID700 .
    Reply said right now no plans , but if there is enough interest, he’ll probably do it !
    I’d love to have this on my pc, so please if any other windows users are interested, fire off a mail , create that demand and hopefully it will happen.
    Thanks

• @modosc said:

@Uprightmusic said:
    Sorry I don't mean to be a naysayer but as someone who doesn't frequent these forums and do deep searches on demos..a new synth app should have links to sound examples in the first post. Would go a long way in helping me decide if it's something I want to buy or not.

Wow Peff did the presets? That's awesome!

• Someone with the Mac version can confirm if it's M1 native?

• edited February 2022

Ignore me

• edited February 2022

@Pynchon said:
    Someone with the Mac version can confirm if it's M1 native?

There is an M1-native version available on the macOS App Store that sells for $79.99 USD.

• edited February 2022

@NeuM said:

@Pynchon said:

There is an M1-native version available on the macOS App Store that sells for $79.99 USD.

It seems that it's not M1 native, it runs under Rosetta.

According to this post of the developer in Synthanathomy:

modosc designs says:
    DECEMBER 15, 2021 AT 9:56 PM
    thanks for the writeup! just wanted to point out a few things:

1. there is a VST3 wrapper available on our website so that you can run ID700 in a VST3 host (ableton, bitwig, etc):

https://modo.sc/id700/#downloads

2. i didn’t release this as a universal plugin because it would require users to upgrade to big sur, and most of the beta testers i had were on older systems."

I was planning to buy the Mac version, because ID 700 is my favorite iOS synth. But spending 80 bucks in something that isn't M1 native is discouraging.

@modosc : Is there a possibility of having a M1 native version of ID 700 in the future? I don't mind to buy this outside of the Mac App Store.

• @Pynchon said:

@NeuM said:

@Pynchon said:

It seems that it's not M1 native, it runs under Rosetta.

According to this post of the developer in Synthanathomy:

modosc designs says:
    DECEMBER 15, 2021 AT 9:56 PM
    thanks for the writeup! just wanted to point out a few things:

1. there is a VST3 wrapper available on our website so that you can run ID700 in a VST3 host (ableton, bitwig, etc):

https://modo.sc/id700/#downloads

2. i didn’t release this as a universal plugin because it would require users to upgrade to big sur, and most of the beta testers i had were on older systems."

I was planning to buy the Mac version, because ID 700 is my favorite iOS synth. But spending 80 bucks in something that isn't M1 native is discouraging.

@modosc : Is there a possibility of having a M1 native version of ID 700 in the future? I don't mind to buy this outside of the Mac App Store.

My error. Thanks for the correction.

1. i didn’t release this as a universal plugin because it would require users to upgrade to big sur, and most of the beta testers i had were on older systems."

sorry for the confusion - in that context "universal" meant ios apps that also run on macos (eg: moog's model 15).

"id700 for desktop" is a universal macOS app so it is native on M1:

and the performance difference is crazy - debug builds on m1 are faster than release builds on x86 (this is never a thing, there's usually a 10x-100x slowdown in debug builds).

• @modosc said:

1. i didn’t release this as a universal plugin because it would require users to upgrade to big sur, and most of the beta testers i had were on older systems."

sorry for the confusion - in that context "universal" meant ios apps that also run on macos (eg: moog's model 15).

and the performance difference is crazy - debug builds on m1 are faster than release builds on x86 (this is never a thing, there's usually a 10x-100x slowdown in debug builds).

Interesting.

• @modosc said:

Thanks, @modosc!

And I see a logical step to make a different Mac app, with a desktop price.

Much more sustainable to maintain the app and see a profit from your work.

• @modosc hello, does ID700 auv3 read and write parameter automation inside cubasis 3 with the W/R buttons?

I ask because some auv3 do and some don't.... hard to know beforehand.

• How do I sync this to the host’s midi clock? I want the amazing gate effects to be in time with the rest of the song.

Or maybe it’s not possible?

• Bumping. On some higher notes, do I hear aliasing, or is that just unfiltered FMing because I am messing around with the app till things "sound good"?

• @mistercharlie said:
    How do I sync this to the host’s midi clock? I want the amazing gate effects to be in time with the rest of the song.

Or maybe it’s not possible?

unfortunately it's not currently possible. time scaling made this really difficult to implement, next synth i'll figure it out.

• @JES000000 said:
    Bumping. On some higher notes, do I hear aliasing, or is that just unfiltered FMing because I am messing around with the app till things "sound good"?

it's higher notes.

during beta testing there used to be an oversampling option but nobody used it and it sometimes caused crashes when changing sample rate so i removed it. i can look into adding it back - this will fix aliasing on "unfiltered FM" but won't resolve it in the wavetables. if i remember correctly it cost roughly 50% more cpu for each extra clean octave you gain (eg, 2x oversampling = one more clean octave = 50% more cpu, 4x cpu = two more clean octaves than normal = 75% more cpu, etc).

• edited July 2023

@modosc said:

@JES000000 said:
    Bumping. On some higher notes, do I hear aliasing, or is that just unfiltered FMing because I am messing around with the app till things "sound good"?

it's higher notes.

during beta testing there used to be an oversampling option but nobody used it and it sometimes caused crashes when changing sample rate so i removed it. i can look into adding it back - this will fix aliasing on "unfiltered FM" but won't resolve it in the wavetables. if i remember correctly it cost roughly 50% more cpu for each extra clean octave you gain (eg, 2x oversampling = one more clean octave = 50% more cpu, 4x cpu = two more clean octaves than normal = 75% more cpu, etc).

higher CPU is totaly ok, as soon as it will not crash, oversampling (optional none/2x/4x/8x) would be major improvement ! Plus added also on wavetables (where it makes sense too).

This is exactly the detail which differs most of iOS plugins from desktop plugins so let's improve this :-) We have already M1 cpu so it's good idea to offer superb sound quality for those who can afford it :)

• @dendy said:

@modosc said:

@JES000000 said:

it's higher notes.

higher CPU is totaly ok, as soon as it will not crash, oversampling (optional none/2x/4x/8x) would be major improvement ! Plus added also on wavetables (where it makes sense too).

This is exactly the detail which differs most of iOS plugins from desktop plugins so let's improve this :-) We have already M1 cpu so it's good idea to offer superb sound quality for those who can afford it :)

Fully agree - plenty of powerful ipads around now

• @modosc Thanks for the reply!

• @modosc said:

@JES000000 said:

it's higher notes.

I'd highly appreciate to have the choice 😊
    If you can't get rid of crashes, maybe mark the feature as "experimental"?

• edited July 2023

@modosc Thanks for the reply. wow. I totally assumed I was wrong! I’d love to have the option for extra octaves. As it is now, what’s the highest “safe” octave? And does this issue also affect the desktop plugin? I absolutely love this synth otherwise. Thanks for making and maintaining.

• @JES000000 said:
    @modosc Thanks for the reply. wow. I totally assumed I was wrong! I’d love to have the option for extra octaves. As it is now, what’s the highest “safe” octave?

i've started writing this post like 4 times and it keeps veering off so i'll try to keep it concise - it really depends on which algorithm you're using and how you're using it.

i oversimplified before when i implied that N octaves required 2^N oversampling. that's the best case scenario for fm but it's not a given, especially if you're using a complex algorithm with feedback and you've got modulators running at frequencies higher than the carriers. in the end it'll help somewhat but there's no guarantee how much it'll help.

basically the rule is - the product of the modulator and index cannot modulate the carrier wave by more than half of the carrier wave's frequency (this page has a more in-depth explanation of the math behind this). once that happens you're going to get aliasing.

so to prevent aliasing you can use very slow modulator frequencies or very low index values, but both of those are kind of boring :/

another technique is to scale down your index values relative to the note you're playing. in a given index, select pitch as the modulation source and set the mult to some negative value. this means the higher the midi number of a given note, the lower the index value (the dx-7 called this "key tracking" iirc). you may need to adjust the keyboard range in the midi settings to get appropriate values for your keyboard since the scaling is based on this range rather than the full midi note range.

note that the oversampling i implemented only ran for the fm synthesis section - fm'ing the waveshaper (aka timbre modulation) introduces another source of aliasing and there's very little in the literature about how to improve this.

And does this issue also affect the desktop plugin?

both the desktop and ios version use apple's accelerate parallel processing library under the hood so the implementations may differ in terms of speed based on your hardware but the underlying algorithms themselves are identical and patches should sound identical on both (if it aliases on ios it also does on desktop).

I absolutely love this synth otherwise. Thanks for making and maintaining.

thanks for the kind words. from a business standpoint it's not financially viable to keep developing something like this without charging for it via upgrades/subscriptions/etc but i don't care. i think this weekend makes it exactly six years since i generated the first sounds out of it (in a hotel room in vegas for defcon) and i can't let it go.

• @modosc said:

@JES000000 said:
    @modosc Thanks for the reply. wow. I totally assumed I was wrong! I’d love to have the option for extra octaves. As it is now, what’s the highest “safe” octave?

i've started writing this post like 4 times and it keeps veering off so i'll try to keep it concise - it really depends on which algorithm you're using and how you're using it.

i oversimplified before when i implied that N octaves required 2^N oversampling. that's the best case scenario for fm but it's not a given, especially if you're using a complex algorithm with feedback and you've got modulators running at frequencies higher than the carriers. in the end it'll help somewhat but there's no guarantee how much it'll help.

basically the rule is - the product of the modulator and index cannot modulate the carrier wave by more than half of the carrier wave's frequency (this page has a more in-depth explanation of the math behind this). once that happens you're going to get aliasing.

so to prevent aliasing you can use very slow modulator frequencies or very low index values, but both of those are kind of boring :/

another technique is to scale down your index values relative to the note you're playing. in a given index, select pitch as the modulation source and set the mult to some negative value. this means the higher the midi number of a given note, the lower the index value (the dx-7 called this "key tracking" iirc). you may need to adjust the keyboard range in the midi settings to get appropriate values for your keyboard since the scaling is based on this range rather than the full midi note range.

note that the oversampling i implemented only ran for the fm synthesis section - fm'ing the waveshaper (aka timbre modulation) introduces another source of aliasing and there's very little in the literature about how to improve this.

both the desktop and ios version use apple's accelerate parallel processing library under the hood so the implementations may differ in terms of speed based on your hardware but the underlying algorithms themselves are identical and patches should sound identical on both (if it aliases on ios it also does on desktop).

thanks for the kind words. from a business standpoint it's not financially viable to keep developing something like this without charging for it via upgrades/subscriptions/etc but i don't care. i think this weekend makes it exactly six years since i generated the first sounds out of it (in a hotel room in vegas for defcon) and i can't let it go.

Glad to hear you're still passionate about this Jon, as you should be. It's one of the most incredible synths we have on the platform. If it's not paying off, maybe an IAP upgrade is the way to go? Subscription is not likely to be a viable option, but I think many would support you with an IAP

• @modosc said:

@JES000000 said:

Any thoughts on charging for a simplified version for iPhone? Just a few parameters available etc?

• @modosc said:

@Uprightmusic said:

Very nice!

• edited July 2023

@modosc

just make oversamoling as IAP feature, its not important for everybody and also people wih older devices will not use it anyway - those who wants it will be glad to pay and support you..

btw. if i good remember NI FM8 uses up to 16x (optional) oversampling.. FM synthesis can be pretty bitch on producing very high freq on the way..

• @modosc I just want you to know how I appreciate your work and this synth. I had stepped away from iOS apps for several years and ID700 brought me back. Many thanks!